The Hotel End
April 19, 2024, 23:56:22 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Kevin van Veen

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kevin van Veen  (Read 46834 times)
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #340 on: October 16, 2018, 17:42:54 pm »

Are you picking a fight?

No def not - sorry Clarence!
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
guest3114

« Reply #341 on: October 16, 2018, 18:12:34 pm »

The critical thing with KVV is that he has to do it every week .
Everyone knows he has the talent but iits applying it consistently and not when he feels like it .
Hopefully KC can get in his head and get the best from him .
I would suggest that right there is why he has ended up playing in division 2. If he was consistent I don’t believe he would have been available for us to sign in the first place? How many people on here who saw the footage of him playing for Sc***horpe when we signed him wondered why they were prepared to let him go in the first place? He was either injury prone, inconsistent, or had a propensity for all night parties or something?
Report Spam   Logged
JollyCobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #342 on: October 16, 2018, 19:05:13 pm »

I would suggest that right there is why he has ended up playing in division 2. If he was consistent I don’t believe he would have been available for us to sign in the first place? How many people on here who saw the footage of him playing for Sc***horpe when we signed him wondered why they were prepared to let him go in the first place? He was either injury prone, inconsistent, or had a propensity for all night parties or something?

He's complex. Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Ron Obvious

Suffer well.

View Profile
« Reply #343 on: October 16, 2018, 19:13:50 pm »

Commit? I was simply illustrating the point that your post can swing both ways. I never said I would admit I was wrong about Cornell's ability if he is not replaced in January. If you rate Cornell and he is replaced then why should that alter your opinion of his ability?

I'll change my opinion on him if he plays the second half of the season with very few (if any) goal-costing errors as it's the performances that matter, this has always been my stance.

No would have done Wordsworth !
Report Spam   Logged

Breathing will help you live.
Ron Obvious

Suffer well.

View Profile
« Reply #344 on: October 16, 2018, 19:16:16 pm »

The critical thing with KVV is that he has to do it every week .

Why?

What about the others? Special rules for a player you said would never play for us again?
Report Spam   Logged

Ron Obvious

Suffer well.

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: October 16, 2018, 19:22:52 pm »

I would suggest that right there is why he has ended up playing in division 2.

The team he signed for and then picked to play when injured were not good enough as a whole to stay up. That's why he he is in L2. I personally don't think you can attribute much blame to van Veen.
Report Spam   Logged

guest3114

« Reply #346 on: October 17, 2018, 00:33:09 am »

The team he signed for and then picked to play when injured were not good enough as a whole to stay up. That's why he he is in L2. I personally don't think you can attribute much blame to van Veen.
I wasn’t particularly blaming him Frank, just pointing out that given his obvious quality he clearly has a flaw of some sort otherwise he wouldn’t be in league 2, probably?
Report Spam   Logged
guest3245

« Reply #347 on: October 17, 2018, 01:12:49 am »

I wasn’t particularly blaming him Frank, just pointing out that given his obvious quality he clearly has a flaw of some sort otherwise he wouldn’t be in league 2, probably?

He was in the Div2 team of the week, apparently......

Maybe, just maybe, our new Super-Curley-Cobblers will get the best out of him?

Then, either we get a zillion goals out of him, else, a zillion quid when he moves on into the Championship?

Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #348 on: October 17, 2018, 09:33:00 am »

He was in the Div2 team of the week, apparently......

Maybe, just maybe, our new Super-Curley-Cobblers will get the best out of him?

Then, either we get a zillion goals out of him, else, a zillion quid when he moves on into the Championship?

Dreamer
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
guest1269

« Reply #349 on: October 17, 2018, 10:39:36 am »

I sit in the North and always clap the keeper. Why would I not? Supporting a player and not rating him are not mutually exclusive.

I'm afraid this is something that Evers seemingly doesn't seem to accept - not a Cornell debate here & I personally have never booed or resorted to personal insults of any players, managers or indeed owner of NTFC - however on a message board I think we are all entitled to express a respectful opinion (good or bad) without being called out by others - opinions that differ, right or wrong, informed or even those less well informed are the mainstay of healthy discussion aren't they?

For example I thought KVV was dreadful last season and expressed that in the odd post - we now actually know some of the reasons but the observations were not wrong whilst perhaps in hindsight some of the reasoning behind them were wrong - however labeling a thread VanBellend was fundamentally wrong in my opinion and the moderators respectfully acted on my message and changed the title.
Report Spam   Logged
guest48

« Reply #350 on: October 17, 2018, 11:18:48 am »

I'm afraid this is something that Evers seemingly doesn't seem to accept - not a Cornell debate here & I personally have never booed or resorted to personal insults of any players, managers or indeed owner of NTFC - however on a message board I think we are all entitled to express a respectful opinion (good or bad) without being called out by others - opinions that differ, right or wrong, informed or even those less well informed are the mainstay of healthy discussion aren't they?

Good post, different people have different views on certain players, it doesn't mean that they are blind to that player. I think that most people didn't rate KvV very highly last season, but in my opinion, this season, he's put in plenty of effort and that includes the Mansfield game where DA took him off at HT.
Report Spam   Logged
Glastonbury Cobbler

View Profile
2500 Posts Windows User Combination
« Reply #351 on: October 17, 2018, 11:30:32 am »

Good post, different people have different views on certain players, it doesn't mean that they are blind to that player. I think that most people didn't rate KvV very highly last season, but in my opinion, this season, he's put in plenty of effort and that includes the Mansfield game where DA took him off at HT.

Very good couple of posts!

Unfortunately Nevers seems to have his own insecurities that he struggles to deal with resulting in him mocking others for having a different opinion or not getting to some games.

I think most people resented KVV last year because it certainly appeared as though the effort was just not there for most of the time. For example would he have chased down the lost caused on Saturday which created the winning goal - My opinion is probably not.

That has been the big change on the face of it this year - I think the quality was always there, it was the perceived application and that's where Curle is getting more from him at the moment.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2677

« Reply #352 on: October 17, 2018, 11:55:34 am »

I thought he was found lacking more against County in the previous match. Against Mansfield I thought he was putting the effort in and was surprised he got pulled at half-time like others.
Report Spam   Logged
threeinabed

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #353 on: October 17, 2018, 12:00:20 pm »

I thought he was found lacking more against County in the previous match. Against Mansfield I thought he was putting the effort in and was surprised he got pulled at half-time like others.

they said exactly this on radio northampton at half time - sammo said although not playing that well you couldnt fault his effort and he definitely didnt deserve to be subbed
Report Spam   Logged
guest2677

« Reply #354 on: October 17, 2018, 12:07:44 pm »

For example I thought KVV was dreadful last season and expressed that in the odd post - we now actually know some of the reasons but the observations were not wrong whilst perhaps in hindsight some of the reasoning behind them were wrong - however labeling a thread VanBellend was fundamentally wrong in my opinion and the moderators respectfully acted on my message and changed the title.
I think Evers was more getting at Clarence posting that he was sitting in the east against FG (hence his certainty over the 'Reid offside') rather than in the North as he states on this thread. Not that I speak for Evers.
Buys a ticket but sits where he wants then, or is not a season ticket holder and chooses his seat randomly.

Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #355 on: October 17, 2018, 13:15:41 pm »

Why?

What about the others? Special rules for a player you said would never play for us again?
To someone who calls himself Ron Obvious I would have thought the reason he needs to perform consistently is in itself pretty obvious !
Of course it applies to all players but KVV has been inconsistent for both us and Sc***horpe which is why some managers here have dropped him and Sc***horpe didn’t renew his contract .
My simple point is , if KC can infiltrate his head and get last Saturdays performance level most weeks , we have one of the best players in division 2 .
At the end of the day he would be one of the highest paid players in the league and so you do expect that level of repayment .
Report Spam   Logged
ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Combination
« Reply #356 on: October 17, 2018, 16:25:12 pm »

I think most people resented KVV last year because it certainly appeared as though the effort was just not there for most of the time. For example would he have chased down the lost caused on Saturday which created the winning goal - My opinion is probably not.

That has been the big change on the face of it this year - I think the quality was always there, it was the perceived application and that's where Curle is getting more from him at the moment.

Agree with this, though I felt VV was also showing good application before Curle arrived. Though he was excellent on Saturday, IMO his best performance so far this season was against Cambridge, and not just because he scored 2 goals, but because of his work-rate and the quality he showed all round.
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #357 on: October 17, 2018, 16:41:33 pm »

I would have thought the reason he needs to perform consistently is in itself pretty obvious ! Of course it applies to all players
Isn’t the problem that our other strikers are performing consistently, unfortunately consistently rubbish.
Before Van Veen came on and put an unmissable chance on Williams plate out of nothing it was yet another poor showing for the Hoskins/Williams strike force.
Report Spam   Logged
ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
« Reply #358 on: October 17, 2018, 16:51:35 pm »

they said exactly this on radio northampton at half time - sammo said although not playing that well you couldnt fault his effort and he definitely didnt deserve to be subbed

I only listened to Mansfield on the radio and from the commentary at least it sounded like he was putting a shift in and got booked for a tackle while trying to win back possession if I remember correctly. Not the actions of a player who was not trying or who didn't care about his performance or the result.

Sadly I think the subbing of VV in that match summed up probably the biggest and IMO fatal blind spots in Austin's management. While it goes without saying a player must have a good work rate however hard you work without the necessary quality/talent there's only so far you can go.

IMO Austin put too much emphasis on effort at the expense of quality. Sometimes whether someone is putting in the required effort can be a matter of opinion and it appeared from Austin's comments after Mansfield that he felt VV wasn't putting it in. Was he wrong? It seems many on here think so. Was this the only time he wrongly judged that a player wasn't putting in the required effort? I doubt that very much.

Report Spam   Logged
ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: October 17, 2018, 16:55:45 pm »

I think Evers was more getting at Clarence posting that he was sitting in the east against FG (hence his certainty over the 'Reid offside') rather than in the North as he states on this thread. Not that I speak for Evers.
Buys a ticket but sits where he wants then, or is not a season ticket holder and chooses his seat randomly.

That's fair enough. I'm a ST holder but unfortunately on the odd occasion have arrived a few minutes after kick-off and found it easier to sit in the East until HT.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: