The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 12:44:07 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

NEXT SEASON 2018/19

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NEXT SEASON 2018/19  (Read 2025 times)
meccanostand

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2018, 08:55:32 am »

There has never been a relegation without severe cut-backs to the budget so I expect a number of the better players to be quietly made available or express a wish to depart.  I think the financial consequences of this unnecessary relegation will begin to dawn on supporters very soon.

Yep let's wait and see what squad we have come pre-season.
Report Spam   Logged
defender

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2018, 09:02:45 am »

Well it's very sad what has happened at our club there's hope for a good season  to come, I HOPE.
Report Spam   Logged
St Edmundsbury Cobbler

View Profile
Level 6 Search Windows User
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2018, 09:35:39 am »

Please tell me you are joking?

No, I've seen him play well for a game and a half, the rest of the time he's ambled around the pitch, looked disinterested and has shown no fight. He has an inability to win the ball in a tackle, has picked up an unacceptable amount of yellow cards and has three unnecessary red cards. Overall he has been a huge disappointment.

Your turn to explain to me why you want to keep a group of defenders who have conceded 75 goals, who don't close down and are unable to mark opposition players at set pieces?
Report Spam   Logged

2022/23 Prediction League Champion
2022/23 Guess The Attendance Champion

Claret & White - Nothing Else Matters
defender

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2018, 10:24:49 am »

No, I've seen him play well for a game and a half, the rest of the time he's ambled around the pitch, looked disinterested and has shown no fight. He has an inability to win the ball in a tackle, has picked up an unacceptable amount of yellow cards and has three unnecessary red cards. Overall he has been a huge disappointment.

Your turn to explain to me why you want to keep a group of defenders who have conceded 75 goals, who don't close down and are unable to mark opposition players at set pieces?

You are so. right
Report Spam   Logged
paul thompson is

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2018, 11:04:12 am »

I see mid to bottom half for 4 seasons
then mid to play-offs for 4 seasons,
then poss plays-semis for 1 season,

then the miracle season,

go up,
then last 2 seasons and pop down to our natural level
Report Spam   Logged

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

There is always a case to rest
Joes Sweet Left Foot

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2018, 12:27:14 pm »

I've supported the Cobblers for 55 years in which time I have seen 7 promotions and 9 relegations plus 2 losing play-off finals and 2 losing play-off semi-finals and in addition 9 successful relegation fights. Football at this club is a merry-go-round and I'm sure we will be back.

After relegation in '77 to the basement division it took 10 years to get promotion under Carr, after the '90 relegation it took 7 years to get out of the bottom division under Atkins. After the '99 relegation it took only one year to get promoted under Wilson, and after '03 relegation we spent 3 years in the bottom division with 2 play-off reversals before finishing 2nd under Calderwood. After relegation in '09 it took 7 years before finally exiting under Wilder.

It's anyone's guess whether it will take one year or 10 to get back to League 1 but I'm confident it will happen.
Report Spam   Logged
Cobblersmad

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Level 5
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2018, 14:08:51 pm »

A 6-0, a 5-1 and a few 4-1 defeats. I know it's easier said than done, but if we had not given up at 2-0 in those games, we would be going into the game against Oldham needing just a 3 or 4 goal swing instead of 9.

I know I'm pulling at straws, but what else do we have! 😂
Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2018, 14:54:12 pm »

I don't know who said it, but I read that League 2 will be weak next season. I doubt it, MK have already promised to spend big and Bury will probably do likewise. Then you have possibly Coventry, Notts County, Mansfield & Swindon to name a few who should be challenging. That's six teams already, league 2 is never easy and next season will be exactly the same.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2487

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2018, 15:56:10 pm »

You mean we ain't going to walk it as we are a massive club at that level. Oh.
Report Spam   Logged
The 12th Marquis of Sixfields
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
Search Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2018, 16:00:36 pm »

The only one I'd want to keep is McWilliams

oh by the way, where are the dickheads that used to sing "Say Hello To Forest Green"?
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2023
BrixworthCobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Starter
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2018, 18:53:58 pm »

My predictions for the summer.

Mass change in the squad.

Every new signing greeted on here with 'wow what a great signing'

They turn out to be all terrible as per this year and we have a poor season again.
Report Spam   Logged
rebelspawn

View Profile
Search Eighth year Anniversary Mobile User
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2018, 07:46:44 am »

I struggle to reconcile this fact myself, because our goals conceded is laughable and yet i believe that individually we have good defenders. So here is my take:

Its down to complete managerial ineptitude:

We were so focused on nullifying opposition under Jimmy, that we forgot to work on our own organization.

The players were being asked to play in a different way every single game

Personnel were changing week in week out and we never formed strong partnerships anywhere on the pitch

Under jimmy there was a clear focus when losing possession that we should retreat and re-shape first. this allowed opposition to come at us as we never sent a man to the player in possession to actually try and win the ball back

We always had everyone back for every single corner, regardless of score, time on the board or opposition positions. Even if we defended the corner itself, we had no outlet and then we would concede in the second or third phase afterwards.

Report Spam   Logged
covcobbler

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2018, 07:58:37 am »

I think Austin might be kept on as manager rather than getting someone else in, I don't think he's done too badly with what he's had at his disposal player wise.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2018, 11:05:58 am »

I think Austin might be kept on as manager rather than getting someone else in, I don't think he's done too badly with what he's had at his disposal player wise.

Does he want the job?
There are better available that have the experience and probably out of work out there (but that is normally for a negative reason).
In the absence of massive funds, why not give him a go? 
He has done and said all the right things so far and wouldn't necessarily have to drastically change the current squad too much because of his existing knowledge. 
Better the devil you know, but could he keep it up for a season when the pressure is slightly different?
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
guest2487

« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2018, 11:11:20 am »

The way he was talking in his post match interview suggests he may not be staying on IMO.
Report Spam   Logged
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
5000 Posts Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2018, 11:23:10 am »

The way he was talking in his post match interview suggests he may not be staying on IMO.

I certainly hope so. There's is nothing maverick about getting out of L2. He appears to have a good working ethic, coupled with the ability to motivate.
Report Spam   Logged
guest47

« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2018, 12:51:21 pm »

I certainly hope so. There's is nothing maverick about getting out of L2. He appears to have a good working ethic, coupled with the ability to motivate.

Agree, we should let him have a go. He's probably still got two years on his contract so it's such a question of topping it up a bit. The money saved getting a name manager could be better spent on decent players.
After all, many top managers began their careers when their boss left. Sean Dyche being a good example, there's no way he would have been considered for the Watford job if he hadn't already been there.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: