The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 12:25:41 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

End of Season Rant thread

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: End of Season Rant thread  (Read 2608 times)
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Windows User Combination
« on: April 29, 2018, 10:13:33 am »

Just gonna get my Cobblers frustrations off of my chest!  Grin

This season, frankly, can do one. I will be at my allotment next Saturday, if I had it my way our fan base would boycott next Saturdays game but it seems acceptable to most people that what we've witnessed this last 9 months 'is just football'.

I will start from the top, Kelvin Thomas. In short:

*Hes employed 3 managers, and spent to long sacking the first two. Our fans wanted to keep giving them time, thats the main reason we got relegated.
*He sanctioned the signings of 4 pro goalkeepers. Why does a league1 football club need 4 bloody goal keepers? Surely at the point in time when Coddington rocked up to sign his contract alarm bells would be ringing?
*He won't allow a rep on the board. I wonder why?
*He convinced most fans that the Chinese deal was centred around education. I mean, what bloody idiot would honestly buy into that?! Yet so many did!
*He spunked the Chinese money before it was banked. Now his mate has had to take his shares back and cover the wages bill. If any director of a normal business sanctioned the purchase of a load of new kit to service a contract before it was signed, then said business would probably go bust!
*The ground. 2 and a half years after his arrival, zero progress. Get it into your thick ears people (those who believe him) - nothing will happen to Sixfields under his/their watch. *I will cover this point by saying its my opinion but if anyone wants a wager on it, then PM me!
*Head of recruitment. How the hell has he not been fired? 2 years he's been buying dud's, he's the constant on the footballing side of things.
*We've now got a wage bill Id guess is double that it was 2 years ago. DOUBLE. Think about this. He could have refitted the East Stand with that money. And 85% of our fan base think he's doing a good bloody job!  Grin Grin *

*but 75% of them wouldn't believe that DC was a crook, god bless 'em!  Grin Grin (Even when the Trust organised the we want answers campaign)

Now onto the mangers:

*Who the hell would have played Cornell in goal, instead buying about 10 midfield players!
*Who the hell would have played DB as a wing back. Well both our permanent managers did!
*Who the hell would have played Revell on the bloody wing?
*Who the hell would have bought a left sided attacking player and hung him out to dry by playing him as a left back?
*Who the hell would have played Grimes in every single minute, never taking him off, getting him to take every single set play? Well all 3 of our managers have!
*Whats wrong with Regan Poole?
*Why didn't we play McWilliams for the vast majority of the season?
*Who would have taken off literally our best 2 players and replaced one of them with Kevin Bloody Van Veen in a game you've dominated and you just needed a single goal to win?

In 30 years, our football club has never been as badly run as it has been this season. Only a rich individual's cash is keeping us going…and that person doesn't even want to be involved having previously cashed in his shares to the Chinese.

Ill be back in August, always will follow NTFC. But things need to change across the whole football club. And it needs to start from the very top. I hope we are under new ownership as soon as possible, and those owners don't just want to make money from the land. KT helped the club provide us with that sooo memorable season, but has brought nothing positive to the party since. And we wouldn't have gone bust, there were other options at the time. Admittedly not as 'sound'. KT had 4 million to spend on the ground lets remember. The others didn't. Of course that never materialised. Time to move on.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 10:15:53 am by DrillingCobbler » Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Vintage Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 10:26:19 am »

Well put, Drilling.
Report Spam   Logged
paul thompson is

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2018, 10:57:27 am »

Time to scrap the whole club and start again,
it is rotten to the core,

sh!te ground
sh!te atmosphere,
sh!te beer/food,
sh!te website,
sh!te half time nonsense,
sh!te match day ticket arrangement,

badly managed from the top to the bottom,

Apart from that,
everything else is ok

Report Spam   Logged

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.

There is always a case to rest
Vintage Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2018, 11:25:28 am »

A very accurate summary from James Heneghan of the Chronic:

"The fact is this relegation was eight months in the making and a consequence of poor decisions from top to bottom, inconsistent performances, muddled recruitment and a general lack of direction and forward-planning, both on and off the pitch."
Report Spam   Logged
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2018, 11:43:47 am »

Recruitment is the key issue here. From Page, JED and JFH to Melville and expensively acquired flops like Van Veen, KT has overseen a period of spectacularly poor personnel appointments. One poor managerial choice is understandable; three starts to look like a systemic failure. However, if KT can learn from his mistakes, seek advice from the right people and change the appointment process then he could still recover his reputation as one of the better custodians of this club. The knee-jerkers need to acknowledge the following realities:

1. Unlike DC and many other chairmen, KT has backed every manager in the transfer market and this is probably the most expensively assembled squad in Cobblers history
2. Despite Drillings revisionism, it is arguable that the club wouldn't exist without him
3. There is no fantasy sugar daddy waiting in the wings. In fact, if he were to sell there is a considerable risk that we'd end up with the kind of unscrupulous cowboy that has seen many of our former rivals almost go to the wall

He needs to show that he's learnt from this debacle, no doubt. But let's not pretend that he's not still our best option for a stable future.

On the managerial front, personally I'm also in the 'not Austin' camp. Decent guy but let's remember that even JFH got a two-win new manager bounce.  His naive double substitution gifted Walsall the midfield when other options - putting Foley on for instance - would have made a lot more sense. Above all we need an intelligent and tactically astute manager who understands game management at this level.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 11:55:56 am by bungle » Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2018, 11:44:34 am »

Drilling - very interesting the most part and I agree with a lot of what you've said. Please don't ask me to boycott a game though, I will continue to support the club through good and BAD times, including Saturday against Oldham.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2487

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2018, 12:20:39 pm »

Yeah we are nowhere near boycott stage.

Maybe if we ever get in a Blackpool situ.
Report Spam   Logged
Cobblersmad

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Level 5
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2018, 14:12:55 pm »

The rot started the day Rob Page walked through the door. I have said this so many times, but we had just walked league two, and I'm sure there were a few decent managers interested in us. But KT appoints Page, a guy who had done nothing with Port Vale, who then proceeds to rip up a title championship squad. If it ain't broke...
Report Spam   Logged
Dr Feelgood

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2018, 14:15:48 pm »

I couldn't get my ironing finished yesterday..
Report Spam   Logged

For goodness sake Doc we are NOT going down  Grin   you heard it here 1st  Wink

(I damn well hope that does not come back to haunt me)
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2018, 14:22:41 pm »

This season, frankly, can do one. I will be at my allotment next Saturday, if I had it my way our fan base would boycott next Saturdays game but it seems acceptable to most people that what we've witnessed this last 9 months 'is just football'.

*Hes employed 3 managers, and spent to long sacking the first two. Our fans wanted to keep giving them time, thats the main reason we got relegated.
*He sanctioned the signings of 4 pro goalkeepers. Why does a league1 football club need 4 bloody goal keepers? Surely at the point in time when Coddington rocked up to sign his contract alarm bells would be ringing?
*He convinced most fans that the Chinese deal was centred around education. I mean, what bloody idiot would honestly buy into that?! Yet so many did!
*He spunked the Chinese money before it was banked. Now his mate has had to take his shares back and cover the wages bill. If any director of a normal business sanctioned the purchase of a load of new kit to service a contract before it was signed, then said business would probably go bust!
*The ground. 2 and a half years after his arrival, zero progress. Get it into your thick ears people (those who believe him) - nothing will happen to Sixfields under his/their watch. *I will cover this point by saying its my opinion but if anyone wants a wager on it, then PM me!
*Head of recruitment. How the hell has he not been fired? 2 years he's been buying dud's, he's the constant on the footballing side of things.
*We've now got a wage bill Id guess is double that it was 2 years ago. DOUBLE. Think about this. He could have refitted the East Stand with that money. And 85% of our fan base think he's doing a good bloody job!  Grin Grin *

*but 75% of them wouldn't believe that DC was a crook, god bless 'em!  Grin Grin (Even when the Trust organised the we want answers campaign)

Now onto the mangers:

*Who the hell would have played Cornell in goal, instead buying about 10 midfield players!
*Who the hell would have played DB as a wing back. Well both our permanent managers did!
*Who the hell would have bought a left sided attacking player and hung him out to dry by playing him as a left back?
*Who the hell would have played Grimes in every single minute, never taking him off, getting him to take every single set play? Well all 3 of our managers have!
*Who would have taken off literally our best 2 players and replaced one of them with Kevin Bloody Van Veen in a game you've dominated and you just needed a single goal to win?

In 30 years, our football club has never been as badly run as it has been this season. Only a rich individual's cash is keeping us going…and that person doesn't even want to be involved having previously cashed in his shares to the Chinese.

Ill be back in August, always will follow NTFC. But things need to change across the whole football club. And it needs to start from the very top. I hope we are under new ownership as soon as possible, and those owners don't just want to make money from the land. KT helped the club provide us with that sooo memorable season, but has brought nothing positive to the party since. And we wouldn't have gone bust, there were other options at the time. Admittedly not as 'sound'. KT had 4 million to spend on the ground lets remember. The others didn't. Of course that never materialised. Time to move on.

Very fine hindsight criticism and not much IQ input either.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Vintage Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2018, 14:32:25 pm »

Stop with the snide comments, Everbrite. They are not needed. If you have an opinion then let's hear it for once. I recall you were holding back until our fate was sealed. That has now happened and your public awaits you.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3103

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2018, 15:11:02 pm »

Now onto the mangers:

I don't have the time or energy to expand on how this collective jumble of hearsay, abstract gibberish, compendium of fake news is the most ignorant post of the year. But congrats.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2018, 15:36:47 pm »

Stop with the snide comments, Everbrite. They are not needed. If you have an opinion then let's hear it for once. I recall you were holding back until our fate was sealed. That has now happened and your public awaits you.

I joined the Trust and contributed too. Our fate was not sealed either; that was later!
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
guest2487

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2018, 15:53:32 pm »

Very fine hindsight criticism and not much IQ input either.

Evers you are are massive problem on here.

Drilling has put his views down and you choose to comment on his IQ.

Have a f***ing word with yourself and stop ruining every thread FFS.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3103

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2018, 16:01:53 pm »

stop ruining every thread FFS.

Truth.  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
meccanostand

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2018, 16:03:22 pm »

Have a **** word with yourself and stop ruining every thread FFS.

It's like the same person chirping up on question time. He'd be told to shut up.
Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2018, 16:21:38 pm »

Have a **** word with yourself and stop ruining every thread FFS.

Yep.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
5000 Posts Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2018, 16:33:13 pm »

I'll tell you straight Drilling me old mucker... If any owner can't make something off that land, you can forget it. Nobody is going to spend their own money on us... Nobody.
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2018, 17:46:12 pm »

I'll tell you straight Drilling me old mucker... If any owner can't make something off that land, you can forget it. Nobody is going to spend their own money on us... Nobody.

No 'investor' would…

The word 'investor' always amuses me when used in football. Theres no such thing. UNLESS its for land.

To be honest mate I don't expect anyone to spend their cash on us. I never have. What frustrates me is that the current owners have doubled our cost base and I fully expect them to cash their chips at the earliest point in time now. Flog it for a quid, and leave some mug or mugs to pick up the pieces. Time will tell on that.

Id wager a large bet that in a few weeks time 85% will become about 15%. We shall see on that.

The likes of Everbright who was mugged off for years by Cardoza will no doubt claim all along that there was no evidence to suggest sinister motives. There isn't. Other than common bloody sense. And by sinister and Im not suggesting making a few bob. More a case of making a shed load and giving the East Stand the most basic of re-fits. Its pretty obvious that the reason why he hasn't shown any plans is because they won't go down very well!

Ive given him the benefit of the doubt and was supportive until the Chinese saga. But that more than tipped it for me. Total and utter negligence.

We need a local consortium or reasonably well off fans to bring the club closer to both the business community and local Northamptonians in general. A group of individuals who will command the respect of the council and work with them to finally sort out Sixfields.

Who those individuals are, god knows at this point. But Im with Beds now. Put the bloody club up for sale, advertise it properly and see who comes forward. Im grateful to KT for stepping in and effectively bailing us out when other options were limited (but we would not have gone under as you well know). But that goodwill is now over. We are a football team at the end of the day, and our team is considerably worse (and more expensive) than when he pitched up. Its time for him to move on.

I predict a large chunk of cyber Cobblers civil war fare in the next few weeks as various announcements are made. And that the 85% v 15% will turn on its head. We shall see Sir!
Report Spam   Logged
Dan

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2018, 18:35:09 pm »

As one of the 11 who did vote No- Resign and sell up, I agree with a lot of what you have posted Shane. It has been painfully obvious for months that KT is not interested in the football side of the club or he would have made a managerial change weeks ago.

The problem we have and will always have is that investing in a football club is the best way to lose money. It'll never be an attractive proposition.

I was so gutted when that goal went in because we had the chance to finally stabilise ourselves as a league one club after our amazing season, and within 2 years we've completely thrown that away.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2013
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: