The Hotel End
March 19, 2024, 07:01:21 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Which players would you like to see the club try to sign?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which players would you like to see the club try to sign?  (Read 30586 times)
bungle

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #160 on: May 17, 2018, 17:16:00 pm »

So you believe the below team, as an example and including 2 new signings to meet your quota would get relegated from League 2?

O'Donnell

Facey Taylor Pierre Buchanan

O'Toole McWilliams

Crooks New Signing Powell

New Signing

It's hard to argue that this isn't a strong starting XI for league two. O'Toole and Crooks were in the PFA team of the year last time they played at this level. Pierre and Taylor are the type of centre halves who can dominate both boxes in the basement division. Facey and McWilliams have shown a lot of potential whilst playing at a higher level and, while he was exposed at times in L1, Buchanan should still have enough in the tank to deal with most L2 wingers. I also think that Powell could be a real threat if Austin can get him fit and confident.

The big question marks for me are: will they all still be here?  Will we sign the kind of Rico-style target man that you need at L2 level? And will we sign the kind of creative attacking midfielder who might the missing link in terms of our attacking play?

Report Spam   Logged
Glastonbury Cobbler

View Profile
2500 Posts Windows User Combination
« Reply #161 on: May 17, 2018, 17:42:27 pm »

So you believe the below team, as an example and including 2 new signings to meet your quota would get relegated from League 2?

O'Donnell

Facey Taylor Pierre Buchanan

O'Toole McWilliams

Crooks New Signing Powell

New Signing

Subs:
Cornell
Moloney
Turnbull
Foley
Bridge
Waters
Hoskins

I mean I'm not about to say that will rip the league up and I acknowledge that fan's confidence is rightly at a low ebb after relegation but come on! There is enough there to stay up and thus overachieve on your prediction.

I bet that's exactly what chesterfield fans were saying this time last year?!?!?

Let's look at the facts ...

That defence conceded 77 goals this year, (5 under austin in 2 games against relegated teams). Now yes the quality of strikers and supply will be less good in league 2. But some of the defending we were exposed to last year it dosent matter what level you are playing at if you simply don't pick up your men you will conced goals! This is my biggest concern.

That midfield created little and set pieces and set piece delivery at times was shocking.

Then up top we only scored 43 league goals (only bury were worse). This was partly down to the lack of supply and creativity. Of those goals, longs have gone.

I hope I'm wrong, but we do need wholesale changes to compete at the top simply because the majority of what we have are simply not good enough 7 or 8 aside.

Report Spam   Logged
Alfred

View Profile
Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #162 on: May 17, 2018, 18:19:15 pm »

I bet that's exactly what chesterfield fans were saying this time last year?!?!?

That defence conceded 77 goals this year, (5 under austin in 2 games against relegated teams). Now yes the quality of strikers and supply will be less good in league 2. But some of the defending we were exposed to last year it dosent matter what level you are playing at if you simply don't pick up your men you will conced goals! This is my biggest concern.

That midfield created little and set pieces and set piece delivery at times was shocking.

Then up top we only scored 43 league goals (only bury were worse). This was partly down to the lack of supply and creativity. Of those goals, longs have gone.

I hope I'm wrong, but we do need wholesale changes to compete at the top simply because the majority of what we have are simply not good enough 7 or 8 aside.

I suspect the key question is  ..Do u blame JFHW for our poor performances??

If Austin can get them organised, motivated and finds a goalscorer and a Midfield general then that team wouldn't  be far off
Report Spam   Logged
Glastonbury Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 17, 2018, 18:47:45 pm »

I suspect the key question is  ..Do u blame JFHW for our poor performances??

If Austin can get them organised, motivated and finds a goalscorer and a Midfield general then that team wouldn't  be far off

Yes Jimmy shoulders an awful lot of the blame, but as Deano proved in the last few games you can't take that same group of players that are not good enough, wave a magic wand and make them good players over night. Results and performances Plymouth aside confirm they are not good enough and yes a midfield general and forward will help we simply need more. The reality is 12-14 in our squad are not good enough, if we are going to be competing where we all want to be then these need shipping out and replacing with improved quality.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3023

« Reply #164 on: May 17, 2018, 19:22:47 pm »

Yes Jimmy shoulders an awful lot of the blame, but as Deano proved in the last few games you can't take that same group of players that are not good enough, wave a magic wand and make them good players over night. Results and performances Plymouth aside confirm they are not good enough and yes a midfield general and forward will help we simply need more. The reality is 12-14 in our squad are not good enough, if we are going to be competing where we all want to be then these need shipping out and replacing with improved quality.

Exeter v Lincoln play-off on now, the commentator has just referred to Boateng as 'the man' for Exeter, who 'makes things happen' for them. Remember him in midfield alongside O'Toole a little more than a year ago now? Not good enough was he? Yet here he is as a key creative midfielder for promotion hopeful's Exeter. This might give you some idea of the drop in quality going into league 2.

Crooks, Taylor, O'Toole, McWilliams, Facey, O'Donnell will be stand-out players in that division, as in, potential PFA team of the year contenders. Powell, Buchanan, Maloney, Philips, Hoskins, Barnett and yes, even Waters and the much maligned Bowditch are more than good enough to compete in this League. It is essential to bring in strikers this summer for sure, but if they are then I expect a top 7 finish minimum next year.
Report Spam   Logged
Glastonbury Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: May 17, 2018, 19:39:02 pm »

Exeter v Lincoln play-off on now, the commentator has just referred to Boateng as 'the man' for Exeter, who 'makes things happen' for them. Remember him in midfield alongside O'Toole a little more than a year ago now? Not good enough was he? Yet here he is as a key creative midfielder for promotion hopeful's Exeter. This might give you some idea of the drop in quality going into league 2.

Crooks, Taylor, O'Toole, McWilliams, Facey, O'Donnell will be stand-out players in that division, as in, potential PFA team of the year contenders. Powell, Buchanan, Maloney, Philips, Hoskins, Barnett and yes, even Waters and the much maligned Bowditch are more than good enough to compete in this League. It is essential to bring in strikers this summer for sure, but if they are then I expect a top 7 finish minimum next year.

I think boateng had some quality about him and we saw glimpses of it here, he'd be another one where you would question his attitude week in week out but he did have some quality.

Of the six players mentioned I agree they would get into any top end lg2 team and are more than good enough. Question is how many of those will we keep?

The problem for me our the rest, buchs and maloney provide decent squad options, even powell would be okay in this capacity, but a squad of 8-10 decent players (assuming they do actually stay) imo won't get us all that far.

I know I do sound like a broken record, but you can guaranteed chesterfield were thinking, we will be up there challenging with this squad, the quality in this league will be worse. They didn't address the problems that relegated them from lg1 and tge rest is history.

I do agree the striker positions will be key and it's something that deano needs to get right!
Report Spam   Logged
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #166 on: May 17, 2018, 19:48:42 pm »

I just hope that DA is able to get his business done as early as possible so he can get what he wants in place for the start of preseason - my worry with all of the various rumours of some players wanting out is that this isn't going to be possible and it will drag out. If there are players who think they're too good for league two or they have relegation release clauses I would like to think that they are going nowhere unless other clubs match our valuation. Likewise if there are players that DA wants to move on it's not as easy as that - there has to be a club/s willing to take them off our hands and match the wages we are paying them.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2539

« Reply #167 on: May 17, 2018, 19:55:09 pm »

Boateng has just scored a cracking goal for Exeter. Let's hope they get promoted!
Report Spam   Logged
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #168 on: May 17, 2018, 20:01:16 pm »

Boarding just scored a cracking goal for Exeter. Let's hope they get promoted!

Can't believe this is the boateng that we had last year - it just shows that (as with keshi Anderson) it's so often the right player at the wrong time, having said that perhaps the penny finally dropped with him when he was released by palace as he looked to have a bit of an attitude. By the way I'd rather play Exeter in league two next season - if they miss out and tisdale leaves I can see it going a bit pear shaped.
Report Spam   Logged
EssTeeFree

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 17, 2018, 20:32:33 pm »

I have no idea what Chesterfield fans were saying. Considering they’d just finished rock bottom, 13 points from safety I doubt they were too optimistic. Interesting that you think they’re our comparison point rather than Swindon who finished 3rd bottom like us.

Defence was definitely a problem but it’s simplistic at best to attribute that solely to the back 4. As a team we sat very deep and had pretty much 0 protection with Grimes being used as the deepest midfielder. Do you think the same back 4 in a more proactive team with 2 of Foley, Facey & McWilliams playing ahead of them would have conceded 77 goals, honestly?

The midfield wasn’t setup to create, it was all about stopping the opposition...badly, read Powell’s comments on the wide players roles under JFH & Austin.

Set pieces, well  Grimes has gone so we’ll have to see if there is a change there. Let’s see if Austin’s assistant brings anything to the table in that regard.

You’ve answered the lack of goals yourself.

As I said earlier I’m not about to say the players we have left are about to storm league 2 but I’d happily take a bet that we won’t go down next year if the only squad changes next year are 3 additions as you said. Understand the mood being low and there being a lack of optimism but you’ve blown things way out of proportion here imo

Edit: Just noticed your other post saying 12-14 aren’t good enough for league 2, can you enlighten me as to who these are and what that’s based on?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 20:36:42 pm by EssTeeFree » Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #170 on: May 17, 2018, 20:37:25 pm »

Obviously you didn't watch the last four games...
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Glastonbury Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 17, 2018, 20:55:59 pm »

I have no idea what Chesterfield fans were saying. Considering they’d just finished rock bottom, 13 points from safety I doubt they were too optimistic. Interesting that you think they’re our comparison point rather than Swindon who finished 3rd bottom like us.

Defence was definitely a problem but it’s simplistic at best to attribute that solely to the back 4. As a team we sat very deep and had pretty much 0 protection with Grimes being used as the deepest midfielder. Do you think the same back 4 in a more proactive team with 2 of Foley, Facey & McWilliams playing ahead of them would have conceded 77 goals, honestly?

The midfield wasn’t setup to create, it was all about stopping the opposition...badly, read Powell’s comments on the wide players roles under JFH & Austin.

Set pieces, well  Grimes has gone so we’ll have to see if there is a change there. Let’s see if Austin’s assistant brings anything to the table in that regard.

You’ve answered the lack of goals yourself.

As I said earlier I’m not about to say the players we have left are about to storm league 2 but I’d happily take a bet that we won’t go down next year if the only squad changes next year are 3 additions as you said. Understand the mood being low and there being a lack of optimism but you’ve blown things way out of proportion here imo

Edit: Just noticed your other post saying 12-14 aren’t good enough for league 2, can you enlighten me as to who these are and what that’s based on?

Agree with a lot of what you have said and the lack of screening across the back four was also a real issue - I have however seen so many goals conceeded through basic lacking of marking etc

The issue will be for me too that from Facey, Crooks, O'Toole,  Taylor, Mcwilliams and O'donnell - how many of those will still be here come early august? - I would say we will do well to keep hold of 50% of those, I think its inevitable there will be movement on a greater scale than just 3 or 4 and I believe we need it.
Report Spam   Logged
Glastonbury Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 17, 2018, 21:06:06 pm »

Yes I saw the majority - Breaking them down ...

Bury - Struggled to beat the worse team in the league - conceeding 2 goals in the process - Performance was below par at best I'd say

Plymouth - We were excellent, played some fantastic attacking football and were unfortunate not to win by a bigger margin - Excellent

Walsall - defeat - below average performance by all acoounts- didn't do anywhere near enough to win

Oldham - again below par perfromancew against a team we will be playing next year - again sloppy defending to conceed two goals.

I suppose 1 in 4 is not too bad ;0)
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #173 on: May 17, 2018, 21:13:44 pm »

As I said, you wasn't watching the last four games...
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Glastonbury Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 17, 2018, 21:24:11 pm »

As I said, you wasn't watching the last four games...

Well thats your opinion of which you are entitled too, as am I mine.

Report Spam   Logged
EssTeeFree

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 17, 2018, 21:40:48 pm »

Agree with a lot of what you have said and the lack of screening across the back four was also a real issue - I have however seen so many goals conceeded through basic lacking of marking etc

The issue will be for me too that from Facey, Crooks, O'Toole,  Taylor, Mcwilliams and O'donnell - how many of those will still be here come early august? - I would say we will do well to keep hold of 50% of those, I think its inevitable there will be movement on a greater scale than just 3 or 4 and I believe we need it.

You’re moving the goalposts now, you said we’d get relegated if all we did was add 3 or 4 to what we have. At best that’s hyperbole!

Of course if a number of our better players leave a hell of a lot will rest on how we replace them, as is the case for every club in the land.
Report Spam   Logged
Glastonbury Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 17, 2018, 21:54:01 pm »

You’re moving the goalposts now, you said we’d get relegated if all we did was add 3 or 4 to what we have. At best that’s hyperbole!

Of course if a number of our better players leave a hell of a lot will rest on how we replace them, as is the case for every club in the land.

I stand by the fact we will struggle if we only sign 3-4 players and no one leaves. That would give us a bare decent 10-11.

That said given where we are it us inevitable there will be departures,  some we will be pleased to see (Kasim, Bowditch etc) Some will be not what we want to here (moat likely O Donnell, Facey etc). Time will tell and as you say how we replace them is key.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #177 on: May 17, 2018, 22:35:38 pm »

I doubt if Glastonbury watched many at all!
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Glastonbury Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 17, 2018, 22:42:49 pm »

I doubt if Glastonbury watched many at all!

😂😂😂😂
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #179 on: May 17, 2018, 22:45:36 pm »

I keep reading posts that say players that weren’t good enough in division1 will be fine next season .
I don’t agree .
To be successful you need a side that is better than division 2 standard.
The likes of Bowditch , Kasim , Buchanan and Moloney will not be good enough and others such as Powell , Hoskins and foley will have to up their game .
You have to be up for it in that league and I’m not sure our players are built that way
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: