The Hotel End
March 19, 2024, 02:31:23 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Which players would you like to see the club try to sign?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which players would you like to see the club try to sign?  (Read 30572 times)
EssTeeFree

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« Reply #180 on: May 18, 2018, 07:54:12 am »

The problem is none of us really know do we. Like ohers have said it would be hard to get upset about any of them leaving given how bad last season. On the other I can't shake the nagging doubt that this group was completely misused and inhibited by two poor managers. There is a part of me that wants to see them right the wrongs and get us back up.

Look at League 1 last season, Wigan and especially Blackburn didn't make wholesale changes when they went down, just added a few and kept the nucleus together and went straight back up. I'm also sure plenty of you can give me examples of teams who didn't make changes after relegation and kept sinking.

Players mentioned as not good enough, like Kasim, Bowditch, Powell, Turnbull, van Veen and Foley, have all been regulars in teams who've done well in League 1, even played a decent  number in the championship as well in some cases. Crooks, Pierre, O'Toole have all been in League 2 team of the year. On top of that Buchs, Moloney, Hoskins all played a good number of games for the team that walked League 2 not long ago.

Possibly because I'm sick of wholesale changes every window but for some reason I really want to believe the talent is there. If used in the right way and with 3 or 4 decent additions (and a few departures) we could have a 'good' season.
Report Spam   Logged
The Rauldinho

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #181 on: May 18, 2018, 07:57:14 am »

Harry Toffolo is a decent left back available after release from Millwall, we would need to ship out Buchs (probably no chance) or Bunney (more likely) first though.

Report Spam   Logged
guest48

« Reply #182 on: May 18, 2018, 09:06:20 am »

League 2, piece of p*ss !! JJ Hooper even managed to score a hatrick in Grimsby's last match, I rest my case.

P.S. As long as Cornell is NOT our first choice keeper !
Report Spam   Logged
Vintage Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 18, 2018, 11:46:59 am »

The priority has to be a couple of strikers.  I think VV is dead man walking but reliance on goals from Sam Hoskins ( 5 in two seasons) finally coming good is the stuff of dreams. 
Report Spam   Logged
The Rauldinho

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 18, 2018, 11:54:31 am »

Would people have Chris Long back?

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/16232264.Trio_depart_Turf_Moor/

Whilst I think he did well to hit nine goals in an awful team, he also missed a few and there are some question marks about his attitude.

Could we afford him and could Deano make him better? And would he want to come here?
Report Spam   Logged
Poggy

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Level 5
« Reply #185 on: May 18, 2018, 12:00:29 pm »

I weren't too impressed with his finishing. The misses against Rochdale (away), Oxford (home) and Bristol Rovers (away) cost us dear.

I think he's the type of player who could do well in a better performing team but he doesn't have pace or great ability to hold the ball up or the capability to bully a centre back so it's a no from me.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #186 on: May 18, 2018, 12:29:59 pm »

Whilst I think he did well to hit nine goals in an awful team, he also missed a few and there are some question marks about his attitude.

Could we afford him and could Deano make him better? And would he want to come here?
There was a reason Long wasn’t involved at the end of the season .
He won’t be returning !
Report Spam   Logged
Wolvo

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 18, 2018, 12:31:55 pm »

I'd imagine he'd find himself a League One club quite comfortably. If he did fancy coming back, I'd have him back without hesitation. He'll be a regular scorer at League One for years.
Report Spam   Logged

Pink Army!
The Rauldinho

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 18, 2018, 13:13:16 pm »

He won’t be returning !

Is this another of your cryptic posts or do you want to enlighten us?  Grin

Everyone knows something was going on behind the scenes when Long wasn't involved at the end of the season.
Report Spam   Logged
Glastonbury Cobbler

View Profile
2500 Posts Windows User Combination
« Reply #189 on: May 18, 2018, 13:31:52 pm »

He won’t be returning !

Instead we had to endure the delights of hoskins!
Report Spam   Logged
Glastonbury Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 18, 2018, 13:33:08 pm »

League 2, piece of p*ss !! JJ Hooper even managed to score a hatrick in Grimsby's last match, I rest my case.

P.S. As long as Cornell is NOT our first choice keeper !

Yeah it's so crap we bounced back straight away last time we were here didn't we 🙈🙈🙈
Report Spam   Logged
JollyCobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #191 on: May 18, 2018, 13:51:19 pm »

He won’t be returning !

So why don't you enlighten us as to exactly what the issue was?
Report Spam   Logged
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #192 on: May 18, 2018, 14:59:16 pm »

Nicky Law and Tony McMahon have been released by Bradford.
Report Spam   Logged
OCoole

View Profile
Windows User Sixth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #193 on: May 18, 2018, 15:55:00 pm »

Two very good players! Good shout Irchy
Report Spam   Logged
FezNTFC

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #194 on: May 18, 2018, 16:32:12 pm »

Always been impressed whenever I've seen Law, and just the kind of centre midfielder we could do with in League Two. Would gladly take him.
Report Spam   Logged
crazycobbler

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: May 18, 2018, 16:33:53 pm »

Part of me feels like DA thinks this team is better than it is judging by some of his comments. We had the worst defence in the league last season and only Bury scored less than us. Hasselbaink’s tactics can’t be solely to blame for that. There was a clear lack of quality in the playing staff throughout the season. If DA doesn’t significantly add to this squad I can see us struggling again. I know it’s a lower division but the confidence around the squad can’t be that high, these players have just been relegated.
Report Spam   Logged
Glastonbury Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 18, 2018, 17:47:09 pm »

Agree both these would add quality to our squad
Report Spam   Logged
EssTeeFree

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 18, 2018, 19:30:29 pm »

Part of me feels like DA thinks this team is better than it is judging by some of his comments. We had the worst defence in the league last season and only Bury scored less than us. Hasselbaink’s tactics can’t be solely to blame for that. There was a clear lack of quality in the playing staff throughout the season. If DA doesn’t significantly add to this squad I can see us struggling again. I know it’s a lower division but the confidence around the squad can’t be that high, these players have just been relegated.

Don’t fall into the trap of thinking Austin’s public statements are what he’s also saying privately. That said he clearly identified a confidence issue when he stepped in, talking the players up is part of the process of turning that around. The way Jimmy set us up, always worried about the opposition was constantly hammering a message home to the players that he thought they weren’t good enough, it’s no wonder that settled into their subconscious. Austin seems to be taking the opposite approach.

Interested to know which players you genuinely feel can’t hold their own in league2?

As I said earlier in the thread I’m not about to tip us to win the league without decent additions but I really don’t see us struggling in the bottom half.
Report Spam   Logged
Glastonbury Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 18, 2018, 19:33:26 pm »

Agree with a lot of this, a lot of lasts years issues are not just going to disappear because we are playing a level lower
Report Spam   Logged
TownOwl

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 18, 2018, 20:13:22 pm »

Agree with a lot of this, a lot of lasts years issues are not just going to disappear because we are playing a level lower

No but add in that JFH has gone and...
Report Spam   Logged

Roll Eyes           Roll Eyes           Roll Eyes
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: