The Hotel End
March 19, 2024, 08:24:20 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Which players would you like to see the club try to sign?

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which players would you like to see the club try to sign?  (Read 30595 times)
Glastonbury Cobbler

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
2500 Posts Windows User Combination
« Reply #200 on: May 18, 2018, 20:41:09 pm »

No but add in that JFH has gone and...

Agree to some extent but as I said before a lot of the issues were still there after jimmy left. So yes he was a major problem and reason for our relegation however the lack of actual quality in our squad played a major part
Report Spam   Logged
Glastonbury Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 18, 2018, 20:47:05 pm »

Agree to some extent but as I said before a lot of the issues were still there after jimmy left. So yes he was a major problem and reason for our relegation however the lack of actual quality in our squad played a major part

Anyway what will be will be and you can only hope DA gets it right. Back to the thread title, what about Tom Hopper released by scunny today, Leicester boy - one of those involved in the incident with Adam Smith. Might well score goals in lg2?
Report Spam   Logged
Glastonbury Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 18, 2018, 20:49:28 pm »

Anyway what will be will be and you can only hope DA gets it right. Back to the thread title, what about Tom Hopper released by scunny today, Leicester boy - one of those involved in the incident with Adam Smith. Might well score goals in lg2?

Luke Williams also released by scunny (remember him), injuries aside had some creativity and quality
Report Spam   Logged
TownOwl

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #203 on: May 19, 2018, 08:49:04 am »

Class player, but he does seem to be injured more than not.
Report Spam   Logged

Roll Eyes           Roll Eyes           Roll Eyes
crazycobbler

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 19, 2018, 11:06:16 am »

Don’t fall into the trap of thinking Austin’s public statements are what he’s also saying privately. That said he clearly identified a confidence issue when he stepped in, talking the players up is part of the process of turning that around. The way Jimmy set us up, always worried about the opposition was constantly hammering a message home to the players that he thought they weren’t good enough, it’s no wonder that settled into their subconscious. Austin seems to be taking the opposite approach.

Interested to know which players you genuinely feel can’t hold their own in league2?

As I said earlier in the thread I’m not about to tip us to win the league without decent additions but I really don’t see us struggling in the bottom half.

He’s playing a very dangerous game if what he’s saying publicly is different to what he plans to do. But in any case regardless of what he thinks, I honestly believe this squad will struggle if we don’t add significantly. There were so many games last year where the opposition looked like they were on a different level quality-wise. And it’s not even just the quality, this current squad is so used to losing. It’ll take some fresh faces to turn that around. I think we’re also lacking some real grafters. Based on what I’ve seen so far the only players I expect to shine in league two are JJOT and ROD.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 12:44:06 pm by crazycobbler » Report Spam   Logged
Zen Master

Taxi to Kings Heath mate?

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #205 on: May 19, 2018, 11:59:06 am »

I’d like us sign players with great names. Disappointed we never signed Jamie Victory, Danny Invincible and Jermaine McSporran.

Report Spam   Logged

I think someone should just take this city of Peterborough and just... just flush it down the f***in' toilet

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2022
SteveRiches

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 19, 2018, 12:23:12 pm »

I'm just happy that Dean Austin is not happy with relying on loan players. It's logical because so much of what happens on the pitch depends on mental attitude - you fight every inch of the way for your home club - and we are not the home club for loan players: their heart & minds belong elsewhere.
Report Spam   Logged
EssTeeFree

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 19, 2018, 14:21:04 pm »

He’s playing a very dangerous game if what he’s saying publicly is different to what he plans to do. But in any case regardless of what he thinks, I honestly believe this squad will struggle if we don’t add significantly. There were so many games last year where the opposition looked like they were on a different level quality-wise. And it’s not even just the quality, this current squad is so used to losing. It’ll take some fresh faces to turn that around. I think we’re also lacking some real grafters. Based on what I’ve seen so far the only players I expect to shine in league two are JJOT and ROD.

I never said he is saying things that differ from his plans, more that he may well be talking the players up publicly while having altogether more ‘open’ conversations, either with the players, his staff or the board. Managers protect their players all the time!

So you don’t believe any of Facey, Taylor, Pierre, McWilliams, Crooks, Foley, Hoskins, Powell for example are good enough for league2? You said we’d struggle, by which I assume you meant bottom 5 or 6?
Report Spam   Logged
Zen Master

Taxi to Kings Heath mate?

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #208 on: May 19, 2018, 14:41:47 pm »

We don’t do mid table obscurity so we’ll be knocking on the promotion/playoff door or bricking it by the trapdoor.

Teynlife
Report Spam   Logged

I think someone should just take this city of Peterborough and just... just flush it down the f***in' toilet

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2022
Air-Dan

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 19, 2018, 14:43:00 pm »

We have the core of a team that will do well in League Two.

What we are missing is a couple of wingers and a couple of strikers.

In short, over the course of 12 months we have progressed literally nowhere. But I don't think we've taken that much of a step backwards either. We've paid the price for not addressing our flaws last summer (relegation). Hopefully we address them now.
Report Spam   Logged
crazycobbler

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: May 19, 2018, 16:54:30 pm »

I never said he is saying things that differ from his plans, more that he may well be talking the players up publicly while having altogether more ‘open’ conversations, either with the players, his staff or the board. Managers protect their players all the time!

So you don’t believe any of Facey, Taylor, Pierre, McWilliams, Crooks, Foley, Hoskins, Powell for example are good enough for league2? You said we’d struggle, by which I assume you meant bottom 5 or 6?

I think this is steering away from my point which is I hope he makes substantial changes to the squad because I believe we’ll struggle if he doesn’t. The reason I feel that way is because a team that concedes 77 goals and loses 20 odd games doesn’t magically gain the confidence to start winning games even in a lower league. Hoskins is overrated and Powell had about 3 good games last season. Crooks did nothing all season except pick up stupid red cards. Facey was steady, but nothing special. I’ll give Pierre and McWillams the benefit of the doubt because they didn’t play much last season. I don’t see much fight in this squad either which is massive in League Two. We need some more hard workers in the team. As someone said before, many of the issues of last year aren’t going to just disappear because we’ve dropped a division.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 16:57:11 pm by crazycobbler » Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #211 on: May 19, 2018, 18:22:20 pm »

I think this is steering away from my point which is I hope he makes substantial changes to the squad because I believe we’ll struggle if he doesn’t. The reason I feel that way is because a team that concedes 77 goals and loses 20 odd games doesn’t magically gain the confidence to start winning games even in a lower league. Hoskins is overrated and Powell had about 3 good games last season. Crooks did nothing all season except pick up stupid red cards. Facey was steady, but nothing special. I’ll give Pierre and McWillams the benefit of the doubt because they didn’t play much last season. I don’t see much fight in this squad either which is massive in League Two. We need some more hard workers in the team. As someone said before, many of the issues of last year aren’t going to just disappear because we’ve dropped a division.

Pretty good summary and quite right to point out the 77 goals against. Clearly the defence was an issue and still is. Bit harsh on Crooks and McWilliams but probably about right Hoskins,Powell and maybe Pierre. We did not have a stand out player but plenty disappointed even from the first game. As for the Managers JED managed to oversee some haphazard signings as did JFH. JFH had plenty time to rectify the season but failed to galvanise the team.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 18:47:55 pm by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
EssTeeFree

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 19, 2018, 18:29:15 pm »

I’m not sure it is steering away at all, I disagree with you that’s all. Should we keep the core of the squad, add a winger, an attacking midfielder and a couple of strikers I think we could do well.

Your point about teams not magically doing well after relegation, tell that to Wigan, Blackburn and Rotherham who all had successful seasons after relegation without wholesale changes. Rotherham conceded nearly 100 when they got relegated.

You’re judging the players on what you saw in League 1, I asked if you thought they weren’t good enough for League2. I disagree with your view of Crooks but we all see things differently of course. The fact that you can not argue against was that the last time he played in League 2 he was in the team of the year, don’t tell me he can’t cut it at that level.

Hoskins may be overrated, but should be good enough to be a valuable squad player in Lg2, Wilder certainly thought so. Re Powell, agree that he didn’t pull up any trees and is frustrating but his comments on JFH v Austin and the different ask of the wide players were in line with what I thought, the shackles were on. He’s managed to sustain the whole of his career above Lg2, there must be some reason for that?

Hard-workers? McWilliams, Foley, O’Toole, Hoskins? I’d even argue Crooks is very good at getting about the pitch, he has quite a languid style which I think is deceiving.

As I’ve said I understand people having a downer on the players after last season but I still believe the manager was the major contributing factor to our relegation. I may be proven wrong, certainly wouldn’t be the first time but that’s my view.

Anyway, that’s a lot of words to say I disagree with you. Be boring if we all agreed  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
guest47

« Reply #213 on: May 19, 2018, 18:56:18 pm »

I'm just happy that Dean Austin is not happy with relying on loan players. It's logical because so much of what happens on the pitch depends on mental attitude - you fight every inch of the way for your home club - and we are not the home club for loan players: their heart & minds belong elsewhere.

I agree about the mental attitude except that loan players are obliged to perform in order to show they are worthy of a place in a higher league.
There’s also the point that those with any sort of attitude are rejected by the parent club long before the loan process begins. I can’t think of any loan players we’ve had with attitude problems.
Report Spam   Logged
crazycobbler

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 19, 2018, 19:09:11 pm »

I’m not sure it is steering away at all, I disagree with you that’s all. Should we keep the core of the squad, add a winger, an attacking midfielder and a couple of strikers I think we could do well.

Your point about teams not magically doing well after relegation, tell that to Wigan, Blackburn and Rotherham who all had successful seasons after relegation without wholesale changes. Rotherham conceded nearly 100 when they got relegated.

You’re judging the players on what you saw in League 1, I asked if you thought they weren’t good enough for League2. I disagree with your view of Crooks but we all see things differently of course. The fact that you can not argue against was that the last time he played in League 2 he was in the team of the year, don’t tell me he can’t cut it at that level.

Hoskins may be overrated, but should be good enough to be a valuable squad player in Lg2, Wilder certainly thought so. Re Powell, agree that he didn’t pull up any trees and is frustrating but his comments on JFH v Austin and the different ask of the wide players were in line with what I thought, the shackles were on. He’s managed to sustain the whole of his career above Lg2, there must be some reason for that?

Hard-workers? McWilliams, Foley, O’Toole, Hoskins? I’d even argue Crooks is very good at getting about the pitch, he has quite a languid style which I think is deceiving.

As I’ve said I understand people having a downer on the players after last season but I still believe the manager was the major contributing factor to our relegation. I may be proven wrong, certainly wouldn’t be the first time but that’s my view.

Anyway, that’s a lot of words to say I disagree with you. Be boring if we all agreed  Grin

I think we clearly just rate the players differently. Crooks certainly wouldn't fall into the 'hard-worker' category for me personally. I don't think you want to put much blame on the players for the relegation but the reality is the issues of last year won't just magically disappear.

Rotherham made about 12 signings last summer. Wigan made 10, so I think your argument is completely void there. Bringing Blackburn into it is laughable really given they spent close to £1 million in the summer.

Bottom line is there is significant work to be done with the squad, and even putting aside technical ability there is also the mental fragility that will require fresh faces to help change as well. It's foolish to think a team that concedes 77 goals in a season doesn't need significant change. I'm not saying the whole team needs ripping apart but there is plenty to do.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3040

« Reply #215 on: May 19, 2018, 19:10:01 pm »

I don' t think we need panic about next season, will easily finish top three with a couple of good additions up front and out wide.
Report Spam   Logged
EssTeeFree

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 19, 2018, 20:13:52 pm »

I think we clearly just rate the players differently. Crooks certainly wouldn't fall into the 'hard-worker' category for me personally. I don't think you want to put much blame on the players for the relegation but the reality is the issues of last year won't just magically disappear.

Rotherham made about 12 signings last summer. Wigan made 10, so I think your argument is completely void there. Bringing Blackburn into it is laughable really given they spent close to £1 million in the summer.

Bottom line is there is significant work to be done with the squad, and even putting aside technical ability there is also the mental fragility that will require fresh faces to help change as well. It's foolish to think a team that concedes 77 goals in a season doesn't need significant change. I'm not saying the whole team needs ripping apart but there is plenty to do.

We definitely do, which is obviously fair enough, especially given how last season went. You’re right, I definitely put the balance of blame with our manager(s), JFH frustrated me greatly. Maybe but you can’t claim that as fact, we simply don’t know yet.

Rotherham may have made a lot of signings but 3 of their regular back 4 and 2 of 5heir regular midfield were with them the season before, they went from conceding 90+ goals and relegation to conceding 53 and a playoff final, doesn’t sound like magic or a major rebuild, maybe a competent manager and a lower level. Wigan might have signed a few but over half their regulars were with them in the championship. Nothing laughable about including Blackburn based on spend £750,000 of that was 1 player, something like 8 of their top 11 appearance makers were with them the year before so they’re a very good example.

Fair enough, I definitely agree about fragility on the mental side but I still think this had so much to do with JFH negative approach seeping into the mindset of the players, if you’re constantly told you’re not good enough to go toe to toe with the opposition you’re going to start believing it. Remember JFH made changes for the home game against Bury and celebrated how it negated their strength, despite the fact we didn’t lay a glove on the leagues worst team on our own patch.

Who stays in your eyes then because in your first lament you only said ROD & JJOT were good enough to shine in League 2, that very much sounds like we need ripping apart in your view?
Report Spam   Logged
ntfc01

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 19, 2018, 20:28:54 pm »

The squad already stands at 25 we aren't going to add significantly unless he can get rid of half of them
Report Spam   Logged
crazycobbler

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 19, 2018, 20:36:37 pm »

We definitely do, which is obviously fair enough, especially given how last season went. You’re right, I definitely put the balance of blame with our manager(s), JFH frustrated me greatly. Maybe but you can’t claim that as fact, we simply don’t know yet.

Rotherham may have made a lot of signings but 3 of their regular back 4 and 2 of 5heir regular midfield were with them the season before, they went from conceding 90+ goals and relegation to conceding 53 and a playoff final, doesn’t sound like magic or a major rebuild, maybe a competent manager and a lower level. Wigan might have signed a few but over half their regulars were with them in the championship. Nothing laughable about including Blackburn based on spend £750,000 of that was 1 player, something like 8 of their top 11 appearance makers were with them the year before so they’re a very good example.

Fair enough, I definitely agree about fragility on the mental side but I still think this had so much to do with JFH negative approach seeping into the mindset of the players, if you’re constantly told you’re not good enough to go toe to toe with the opposition you’re going to start believing it. Remember JFH made changes for the home game against Bury and celebrated how it negated their strength, despite the fact we didn’t lay a glove on the leagues worst team on our own patch.

Who stays in your eyes then because in your first lament you only said ROD & JJOT were good enough to shine in League 2, that very much sounds like we need ripping apart in your view?

So basically half of Rotherham's starting eleven was different? Is that not substantial change? My point is they all made significant changes to the playing squad. I've never advocated for wholesale changes, just significant change.

Listen, everyone thought the squad was good enough to shine last season and look what happened. I'm intrigued to know what is making some people (not necessarily you specifically) so confident they'll do ok next season after being so poor? And I never said they were the only ones good enough to shine. I said they are the only ones I expect to shine. They're the only ones where I would be quite surprised if they didn't shine based on the garbage I've just seen for the past 9 months from most of the others. I think the final four games has somewhat papered over some big cracks.

Report Spam   Logged
crazycobbler

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 19, 2018, 20:38:38 pm »

The squad already stands at 25 we aren't going to add significantly unless he can get rid of half of them

By significant I mean 5/6 first-teamers, not a complete upheaval.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: