The Hotel End
March 19, 2024, 08:14:33 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Which players would you like to see the club try to sign?

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which players would you like to see the club try to sign?  (Read 30593 times)
EssTeeFree

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« Reply #220 on: May 19, 2018, 22:43:26 pm »

So basically half of Rotherham's starting eleven was different? Is that not substantial change? My point is they all made significant changes to the playing squad. I've never advocated for wholesale changes, just significant change.

Listen, everyone thought the squad was good enough to shine last season and look what happened. I'm intrigued to know what is making some people (not necessarily you specifically) so confident they'll do ok next season after being so poor? And I never said they were the only ones good enough to shine. I said they are the only ones I expect to shine. They're the only ones where I would be quite surprised if they didn't shine based on the garbage I've just seen for the past 9 months from most of the others. I think the final four games has somewhat papered over some big cracks.

Nope, 5 of their back 7 was the same, as one of your points was the number of goals conceded and they’d conceded nearly 100 the season before I didn’t look at their team further forward.

You make a good point about last year. I’m not sure I expected us to shine as such but certainly thought a 12-16 place finish was well within the realms of possible, clearly got that wrong but I still blame JED & JFH. I don’t even know if I’m confident of a good season now but there is a part of me that wants to see what these players can do under a manager that doesn’t suck the life out of them.

You may be right that the last few games (Plymouth in particular) could be a false dawn but the reason it resonated with so many fans is that the gloom under JFH was obvious, Austin lifted it just by taking the shackles off and making sensible decisions that most had called for. Possible reasons for optimism, possible false dawn.

Anyway, if most of the rumours are true about all the departures you’re like to get the significant change you’re looking for. Let’s hope Austin’s a bit better at recruitment than the last 3 guys.

Thanks for the reasoned debate, always the best part of this site

Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #221 on: May 19, 2018, 22:54:42 pm »

By significant I mean 5/6 first-teamers, not a complete upheaval.

His main problem is to sort out the defence and according to a few sooth sayers on here we might lose ROD and Taylor who ironically were part of the problem. Even during our championship season the defense threw up wobblies at least in two games.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 22:56:24 pm by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
crazycobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #222 on: May 20, 2018, 00:20:55 am »

Nope, 5 of their back 7 was the same, as one of your points was the number of goals conceded and they’d conceded nearly 100 the season before I didn’t look at their team further forward.

You make a good point about last year. I’m not sure I expected us to shine as such but certainly thought a 12-16 place finish was well within the realms of possible, clearly got that wrong but I still blame JED & JFH. I don’t even know if I’m confident of a good season now but there is a part of me that wants to see what these players can do under a manager that doesn’t suck the life out of them.

You may be right that the last few games (Plymouth in particular) could be a false dawn but the reason it resonated with so many fans is that the gloom under JFH was obvious, Austin lifted it just by taking the shackles off and making sensible decisions that most had called for. Possible reasons for optimism, possible false dawn.

Anyway, if most of the rumours are true about all the departures you’re like to get the significant change you’re looking for. Let’s hope Austin’s a bit better at recruitment than the last 3 guys.

Thanks for the reasoned debate, always the best part of this site

I honestly hope you're right about the likes of Powell, Hoskins and Crooks but I just think there are too many overrated players in this squad. Many of which haven't shown me much to suggest that they'll be that effective next year. I hope I'm wrong. Whilst I appreciate the drop in division I'm also not convinced there's a massive difference in quality between the lower end of league one and the top half of league two. You see so many sides come up and more than hold their own. Look at Bristol Rovers and Oxford who came up with us for example.

Good debate though. Out of interest, those positions you mentioned earlier that you think we need additions for, who would you like to see us sign?

Report Spam   Logged
Glastonbury Cobbler

View Profile
2500 Posts Windows User Combination
« Reply #223 on: May 20, 2018, 02:22:00 am »

So you don’t believe any of Facey, Taylor, Pierre, McWilliams, Crooks, Foley, Hoskins, Powell for example are good enough for league2? You said we’d struggle, by which I assume you meant bottom 5 or 6?

Based on facts (this seasons results but more importantly performances) yes. As others have said tge gulf in ability was there to see mot weeks. Ontop of that you could gave tge best coach in tge world in charge but if tge players are not good enough then they are not good enough
Report Spam   Logged
EssTeeFree

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 20, 2018, 06:57:38 am »

I honestly hope you're right about the likes of Powell, Hoskins and Crooks but I just think there are too many overrated players in this squad. Many of which haven't shown me much to suggest that they'll be that effective next year. I hope I'm wrong. Whilst I appreciate the drop in division I'm also not convinced there's a massive difference in quality between the lower end of league one and the top half of league two. You see so many sides come up and more than hold their own. Look at Bristol Rovers and Oxford who came up with us for example.

Good debate though. Out of interest, those positions you mentioned earlier that you think we need additions for, who would you like to see us sign?

Time will tell and as I said I think there will probably be a decent number in and out if the rumours / ITK info on here are true.

For your last question, couple of the names mentioned in this thread so far such as Wes Thomas, Nicky Law & Kal Naismith were good shouts if we can get them. I wouldn’t be adverse to Ariyibi coming back in loan but I don’t think there is any chance of that happening and appreciate it’s just another face from last season. I also think it is worth sounding out Luton to see if they intend to upgrade on Hylton or Collins, although I suspect they are out of our price range.
Report Spam   Logged
EssTeeFree

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: May 20, 2018, 07:06:20 am »

Based on facts (this seasons results but more importantly performances) yes. As others have said tge gulf in ability was there to see mot weeks. Ontop of that you could gave tge best coach in tge world in charge but if tge players are not good enough then they are not good enough

Based on facts like Crooks and Pierre previously having been in the League 2 team of the year? It’s a pretty bold shout that Taylor, Facey and McWilliams will struggle in League 2 based on their performances for us to date.

A good coach should find a way to set those players out in a way that at least negates some of their weaknesses, it’s not like we tried to play in Lg1 with Conference players. The reverse of what you say is also true, put a bad coach (or man manager, or motivator) in charge of a competent group and they will struggle. The managers role is underplayed imo. “Why didn’t the players try harder/take it upon themselves to sort the problem” is often said but what do you think happens to a player that doesn’t follow managers orders. Maybe there is a reason we didn’t see McWilliams much under JFH for example. Maybe the youthful exuberance was too much, maybe he felt he was leaving his position by closing down the opposition, we just don’t know.
Report Spam   Logged
Glastonbury Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 20, 2018, 08:04:46 am »

Based on facts like Crooks and Pierre previously having been in the League 2 team of the year? It’s a pretty bold shout that Taylor, Facey and McWilliams will struggle in League 2 based on their performances for us to date.

A good coach should find a way to set those players out in a way that at least negates some of their weaknesses, it’s not like we tried to play in Lg1 with Conference players. The reverse of what you say is also true, put a bad coach (or man manager, or motivator) in charge of a competent group and they will struggle. The managers role is underplayed imo. “Why didn’t the players try harder/take it upon themselves to sort the problem” is often said but what do you think happens to a player that doesn’t follow managers orders. Maybe there is a reason we didn’t see McWilliams much under JFH for example. Maybe the youthful exuberance was too much, maybe he felt he was leaving his position by closing down the opposition, we just don’t know.

I haven't an issue at all with Taylor,  facey ir Mcwilliams they are all more than good enough for lg2 (assuming they will all still be here). We have 7-8 that are good enough to mount a challenge. As I've said all along tho assuming those 7-8 stay we still need to sign 5-6 decent players to be competing at the top end. I also haven't got a problem with someone hoskins being a squad player, but if he is starting week in week out we will finish closer to tge bottom than the top.
Report Spam   Logged
EssTeeFree

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 20, 2018, 10:10:02 am »

I haven't an issue at all with Taylor,  facey ir Mcwilliams they are all more than good enough for lg2 (assuming they will all still be here). We have 7-8 that are good enough to mount a challenge. As I've said all along tho assuming those 7-8 stay we still need to sign 5-6 decent players to be competing at the top end. I also haven't got a problem with someone hoskins being a squad player, but if he is starting week in week out we will finish closer to tge bottom than the top.

A fair assessment all round I think. Let’s hope Deano brings in those needed and replaces any key players that go effectively.
Report Spam   Logged
OCoole

View Profile
Windows User Sixth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #228 on: May 20, 2018, 11:11:33 am »

I would be shocked if we didn't bring in a minimum of 6 new first team players. I trust DA to know exactly what is needed to improve the side having worked with the squad all season.

Glastonbury's and Crazycobbler's concerns are understandable but I agree with other posters that our squad possesses more quality than Chesterfield did coming into last season. They've played Jak McCourt (the poor souls) all season, whereas we (hopefully) will be able to call upon Crooks, O'Toole and McWilliams. Furthermore, players like Richards, Revell and Taylor were struggling at league one level and did not merit a place in our squad, now find themselves thriving towards the upper end of league two. I, for one, am confident in DA's ability to assess what are the missing links in our squad and find those players on the market. With some good additions I think we will be challenging for top 3 for sure next season.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 11:15:23 am by OCoole » Report Spam   Logged
guest48

« Reply #229 on: May 20, 2018, 16:03:44 pm »

Just watching Brackley at Wembley, that James Armson is a class midfielder. I think he has a very good job outside football but you would think you should be able to sort out some sort of deal.
Report Spam   Logged
guest47

« Reply #230 on: May 20, 2018, 16:13:21 pm »

We should get in touch with John Marquis and explain it was all a bit of a misunderstanding and we would like him to be our striker after all. I'm sure he will be fine with that.
Report Spam   Logged
Glastonbury Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 20, 2018, 19:33:31 pm »

Just watching Brackley at Wembley, that James Armson is a class midfielder. I think he has a very good job outside football but you would think you should be able to sort out some sort of deal.

His been discussed lots in tge past and his regular job (nor sure what it is possibly lawyer?) Pays far more than we would be able to afford, so unless he is happy to take a significant wage drop to become a pro footballer ir isn't gonna happen!
Report Spam   Logged
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #232 on: May 20, 2018, 20:58:29 pm »

His been discussed lots in tge past and his regular job (nor sure what it is possibly lawyer?) Pays far more than we would be able to afford, so unless he is happy to take a significant wage drop to become a pro footballer ir isn't gonna happen!

He is a 'college education examiner' according to the BBC. Would he really not be tempted by an offer to turn pro?

The wider issue here, of course, is that we haven't made a successful non-league signing for absolutely donkey's years. Meanwhile Pish have continued to make decent money from speculating and accumulating on non-league talent.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: May 20, 2018, 21:16:24 pm »

Why don’t you enlist the help of spell check?
Report Spam   Logged

guest2487

« Reply #234 on: May 20, 2018, 22:45:33 pm »

He is a 'college education examiner' according to the BBC. Would he really not be tempted by an offer to turn pro?

The wider issue here, of course, is that we haven't made a successful non-league signing for absolutely donkey's years. Meanwhile Pish have continued to make decent money from speculating and accumulating on non-league talent.

Who was their last success?
Report Spam   Logged
crazycobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #235 on: May 21, 2018, 08:51:44 am »

Who was their last success?

They haven’t made money on them yet but Junior Morais and Danny Lloyd have both turned out to be pretty decent at League One level which is quite impressive, particularly in the case of Morais who they signed from St Albans a couple years ago. Thought he looked very good against us at Sixfields last August.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 21, 2018, 09:26:59 am »

I would be shocked if we didn't bring in a minimum of 6 new first team players. .....

Be prepared to be shocked as I find it unlikely we will sign  6 new players - even if 6 or more leave!
Report Spam   Logged

Glastonbury Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #237 on: May 21, 2018, 11:25:48 am »

Be prepared to be shocked as I find it unlikely we will sign  6 new players - even if 6 or more leave!

Well I for one am pretty pleased with your assessment Nevers, because usually what you say/think is going to happen is quite the opposite from reality.
Report Spam   Logged
Travelaway

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 21, 2018, 11:34:37 am »

Why don’t you enlist the help of spell check?

Who does Spell Check play for?

Can he help us as you suggest..
Report Spam   Logged
defender

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: May 21, 2018, 11:36:32 am »

We should get in touch with John Marquis and explain it was all a bit of a misunderstanding and we would like him to be our striker after all. I'm sure he will be fine with that.

HE SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN RELEASED. ABSOLUTE MADNESS!
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: