The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 23:49:16 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Which players would you like to see the club try to sign?

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Which players would you like to see the club try to sign?  (Read 30707 times)
towcestercobbler

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« Reply #260 on: May 25, 2018, 23:54:12 pm »

I reckon Waters will come good. He tore up in pre season last year, just wasn't given a chance for whatever reason
Report Spam   Logged

Okay, I give up. I don't want to be part of this anymore.
guest2539

« Reply #261 on: May 26, 2018, 04:13:23 am »

He did not for us, he did not for Cambridge, so why in the future?
Report Spam   Logged
Glastonbury Cobbler

View Profile
2500 Posts Windows User Combination
« Reply #262 on: May 26, 2018, 06:46:20 am »

I reckon Waters will come good. He tore up in pre season last year, just wasn't given a chance for whatever reason

He looks a carbon copy of hoskins to me from what little I've seen of him.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2539

« Reply #263 on: May 26, 2018, 07:03:11 am »

Totally agree. Both do not score or create enough goals we require even in League 2!
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #264 on: May 26, 2018, 08:52:55 am »

Totally agree. Both do not score or create enough goals we require even in League 2!
Neither of them are going to set L2 alight, Hoskins being the better of the 2.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
meccanostand

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: May 26, 2018, 10:34:37 am »

Players that will keep us in League 2 and don't mind being at the club. Form an orderly queue.
Report Spam   Logged
defender

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: May 27, 2018, 05:54:33 am »

We should have a word with him upstairs and see if e can have cliff Holton back.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2487

« Reply #267 on: May 30, 2018, 11:03:55 am »

I wonder if we will sign anyone soon?
Report Spam   Logged
The Rauldinho

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #268 on: May 30, 2018, 11:18:16 am »

I wonder if we will sign anyone soon?

Presume we will need a few to move on before we do, although we did pick up Williams quickly and without movement but the loan deals had ended so would have freed up some wage space maybe?
Report Spam   Logged
lordjord

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: May 30, 2018, 11:36:18 am »

Neither of them are going to set L2 alight, Hoskins being the better of the 2.

Whilst I agree that neither are going to set the league alight it could be argued Waters is the more proven of the two at L2 level. He got double digit goals for a team fighting against the drop. Hoskins was a bit part player for us when we went up and has never shown an ability to score any significant number of goals despite his pace.
Report Spam   Logged
Wolvo

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: May 30, 2018, 12:30:07 pm »

Whilst I agree that neither are going to set the league alight it could be argued Waters is the more proven of the two at L2 level. He got double digit goals for a team fighting against the drop. Hoskins was a bit part player for us when we went up and has never shown an ability to score any significant number of goals despite his pace.

Waters the more proven and also has age on his side. Hoskins looks like a bottom half league 2 winger, or an impact striker for the last 30 minutes.
Report Spam   Logged

Pink Army!
memyhead

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: May 30, 2018, 12:50:22 pm »

Honestly think Waters will thrive under DA...he's already proved it at L2 level with Cheltenham (did good things at Cambridge too, bar the lack of goals)

I think DA could turn him into a Paul Dickov type of player....never gives up and an absolute c*** to play against.

Rather have him than Hoskins tbh
Report Spam   Logged
BedsCobb

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #272 on: May 30, 2018, 13:57:49 pm »

Strikers being released at championship level that have proved they can score at that level may want to finish careers on a high at the easier league 2 level..

Contracts terminate, june 1st (?)  so those not offered anything will be getting desperate to tie up any old 3 year contract.
Report Spam   Logged
The Rauldinho

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: May 30, 2018, 14:39:35 pm »

Strikers being released at championship level that have proved they can score at that level may want to finish careers on a high at the easier league 2 level..
Contracts terminate, june 1st (?)  so those not offered anything will be getting desperate to tie up any old 3 year contract.

Any good examples you think would drop two levels?
Report Spam   Logged
crazycobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #274 on: May 30, 2018, 17:42:36 pm »

But how often are they actually interested in finishing on a high though? They're often a lot more interested in finishing their career with a healthy salary as opposed to giving their all in a dogfight which is exactly what League Two is. Although, there is the odd exception now and then I guess.
Report Spam   Logged
guest47

« Reply #275 on: May 30, 2018, 18:21:27 pm »

But how often are they actually interested in finishing on a high though? They're often a lot more interested in finishing their career with a healthy salary as opposed to giving their all in a dogfight which is exactly what League Two is. Although, there is the odd exception now and then I guess.

To be fair, strikers the wrong age of thirty are generally keen to extend their careers as long as they possible can. After all they've got 40+ years of uncertainty ahead of them.
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #276 on: May 30, 2018, 19:42:54 pm »

Marc NcNulty  - 25 goals, 25 years old. Previous 2 seasons = 11 in 42 (lower leagues)
Billy Kee - 25 goals, 27 years old. Always been prolific.
Mohamed Eisa - 23 goals, 23 years old. Signed fro, Greenwich, very low level where he was prolific.
Danny Hylton - 21 goals, 29 years old. Been prolific since he's was 24, prior to that hit and miss.
Christian Doidge - 20 goals, 25 years old. First season in the league, did 'alright' at non league prior to that.
Jayden Stockley - 20 goals, 24 years old. 37 goals in total before last season at various levels.

These are the coveted '20 goal a season' players from last season.

The point Im making is that it is total luck if you get one at the right time or not. From these, Id argue that only 2 of the 6 would have been 'bankers', so in other words the 4 other ones were total flukes. James Collins (19) and Bayo (17) both just miss out on that list, and I remember most of our fans believing that Collins wasn't up to it for league 1 (which I actually believe is true) and that Bayo was a bad influence, 'MOVE ON' blah blah. Well he's helped get two teams up from league2 to league1 in the last 3 years!

Its as likely that Sam Hoskins or Waters will score a shed load next season than any striker we'd likely to be able to afford whose recent form is good.

Both of the above, and dare I say it even the lazy one that divides opinions (!), are all more than capable of having a good season. If I was in charge of the budget and had 100grand to chuck at anyone, it would be on Bayo. Guaranteed to score a load and set up a load. Or as close to guaranteeing as you can get in league2. It aint gonna happen but it still annoys me that so many of our fans thought he wasn't worth it, didn't want him back etc last time. Best striker we've had in the last 15 years, easily.

Report Spam   Logged
Wolvo

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: May 30, 2018, 20:37:10 pm »

Its as likely that Sam Hoskins or Waters will score a shed load next season than any striker we'd likely to be able to afford whose recent form is good.

It'd be a huge shock if Hoskins was the 20 goal striker every club craves. Soccerbase says Hoskins has only scored 15 league goals ever (140 appearances).
Report Spam   Logged

Pink Army!
guest2487

« Reply #278 on: May 30, 2018, 21:08:10 pm »

Hoskins has not got a 20 goal season in him. His finishing isn't good enough.
Report Spam   Logged
crazycobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #279 on: May 30, 2018, 21:48:47 pm »

You make a fair point which I'd go along with but only for Waters. I simply don't believe Hoskins has 20 in him at League Two level. He doesn't offer much of an attacking threat most of the time and as others have mentioned his finishing is poor.  However, in his defence, he hasn't really had a huge amount of game time as an out and out striker. He's largely been used as part of a three behind the striker or as a winger. I don't think he would be that prolific even if he was given a full season as a striker but it wouldn't be fair to completely ignore the fact that he hasn't played many games leading the line. 
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: