The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 13:38:51 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Underrated and forgotten gems?

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Underrated and forgotten gems?  (Read 3444 times)
Coolcat

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2018, 11:51:07 am »

What a forgotten gem this is! I bet not many will remember this match.
Exactly!
I wish some would read the thread...it doesn't ask for all time greatest games ffs!
Report Spam   Logged
Grove

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2018, 13:57:02 pm »

The first Cobblers game I'd missed for about 10 years because I was in hospital for a life saving operation

Grin Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2018, 16:17:30 pm »

The first Cobblers game I'd missed for about 10 years because I was in hospital for a life saving operation
Was the operation successful?
Report Spam   Logged
WadeyCobbler

View Profile
Mobile User Windows User Combination
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2018, 21:55:44 pm »

As this is for under rated and forgotten gems rather than the popular ones a la Bristol Rovers, here's a few that stick out for me and didn't get mentioned often, from my early years following the Cobblers.  Chester away at Sealand Road first game of the 87/88 season. We won 5-0, my first ever away game. Pity no tv footage. 3-2 win at home to Fulham same season. Paul Culpin scoring a Marco van Basten style volley and big Jim Stannard dropping the ball over the line from a Gilbert cross. A 6-0 thrashing of Aldershot in 1988, at the County Ground a Culpin hat trick. A Friday night 5-0 thrashing of Walsall, Greg Campbell with 2 great goals. A 3-2 opening day win at Gillingham in 1992 including a Morrys Scott pearler and a late Phil Chard winner. That'll do me for starters.
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2018, 03:17:51 am »

As this is for under rated and forgotten gems rather than the popular ones a la Bristol Rovers, here's a few that stick out for me and didn't get mentioned often, from my early years following the Cobblers.  Chester away at Sealand Road first game of the 87/88 season. We won 5-0, my first ever away game. Pity no tv footage. 3-2 win at home to Fulham same season. Paul Culpin scoring a Marco van Basten style volley and big Jim Stannard dropping the ball over the line from a Gilbert cross. A 6-0 thrashing of Aldershot in 1988, at the County Ground a Culpin hat trick. A Friday night 5-0 thrashing of Walsall, Greg Campbell with 2 great goals. A 3-2 opening day win at Gillingham in 1992 including a Morrys Scott pearler and a late Phil Chard winner. That'll do me for starters.
Sir, you have honoured the thread!
Report Spam   Logged
St Edmundsbury Cobbler

View Profile
Level 6 Search Windows User
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2018, 05:17:38 am »

Was the operation successful?

Well I'm still alive... Just about  Grin

Early to mid nineties, when we weren't very good, we played promotion chasing Crewe at the CG. Pissed down with rain all day, the pitch was absolutely soaked but the ref deemed it playable. Cobblers battled to a 2-2 draw and Dario Gradi was livid that the game had been played.

Report Spam   Logged

2022/23 Prediction League Champion
2022/23 Guess The Attendance Champion

Claret & White - Nothing Else Matters
just.reading

View Profile
Search 1000 Posts Windows User
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2018, 09:18:30 am »

Beating Swansea 4-2 at Sixfields the year they ran away with the league was brilliant. Jackman scored a beauty.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2018, 09:36:02 am »

24 Jan 1998 V Bristol City at Ashton Gate. About 600 (of over 14k attendance) of us witnessed one of the best 0-0 draws I have ever seen. City finished second to Watford that year, we were fourth behind Grimsby who beat us in the play off final. Cobblers were applauded off like Champions after a very battling and entertaining performance to earn a point against one of the top teams in the division.
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Snow Dive Larry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2018, 09:39:39 am »

24 Jan 1998 V Bristol City at Ashton Gate. About 600 (of over 14k attendance) of us witnessed one of the best 0-0 draws I have ever seen. City finished second to Watford that year, we were fourth behind Grimsby who beat us in the play off final. Cobblers were applauded off like Champions after a very battling and entertaining performance to earn a point against one of the top teams in the division.

Yes, this one! What an atmosphere that day.

The above Swansea game is a very honorable mention too.
Report Spam   Logged

sixfields starling

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2018, 09:59:41 am »

One of my favourite games , apart from the obvious choices, was an away game at the Goldstone ground Brighton , in the eighties i think, in the league cup. We were at least one if not two leagues lower and won 4-1 if memory serves me correct and a certain Kevin Wilkin scored a hat trick, in only his second apperance. 
Report Spam   Logged
Fred_NTFC

View Profile
Level 6 1000 Posts Search
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2018, 10:34:33 am »

In a similar vein to this, the game at Man City which also finished 0-0 was a real battling effort, though we did get battered for most of the game, but I think that was the following year when we got relegated. Cracking atmosphere though.
Report Spam   Logged

Coolcat

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2018, 12:44:44 pm »

Well I'm still alive... Just about  Grin

Early to mid nineties, when we weren't very good, we played promotion chasing Crewe at the CG. Pissed down with rain all day, the pitch was absolutely soaked but the ref deemed it playable. Cobblers battled to a 2-2 draw and Dario Gradi was livid that the game had been played.

Struggle to be very mid-nineties tbf! Don't recall that game at all...but I thought Dario would have liked the sight of players splashing around in a (mud) bath!  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
bwills

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 14, 2018, 17:19:03 pm »

One of my favourite games , apart from the obvious choices, was an away game at the Goldstone ground Brighton , in the eighties i think, in the league cup. We were at least one if not two leagues lower and won 4-1 if memory serves me correct and a certain Kevin Wilkin scored a hat trick, in only his second apperance. 

My first ever Cobblers game was at the goldstone ground , league cup 1990, Bobby Barnes terrorised their back four all night and how we only scored two I'll never know.

Coincidentally my first game at the CG was the 2-2 against Crewe , Christmas time 1993 .
Report Spam   Logged
WadeyCobbler

View Profile
Mobile User Windows User Combination
« Reply #53 on: May 14, 2018, 21:43:29 pm »

Here's another gem. Aldershot away 1992. Both clubs on the brink of extinction. I went with mates in two cars, we were all about 18 at the time, pre-mobile phones time, and the plan was to follow each other down there - we lost each other at Broadmead Avenue ! We won the game 4-1, Dean Edwards netting twice but the result was expunged as the Shots were wound up a few weeks later. During the game the stewards opened up the gates in the fencing that separated the home and away fans. We chatted to each other and I swapped scarves with a Shots fan which I still have. On the way back one of the seatbelt buckles got caught in the car door and the door wouldn't shut properly so had to be held in case it blew open. A weird day.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: