The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 20:39:30 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Budgets

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Budgets  (Read 5874 times)
guest168

Badges: (View All)
« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2018, 09:09:03 am »

Sorry I might have strayed a little but I would much prefer a smaller playing budget if the surplus was spent on other areas..

For example Would spending £10k sprucing up the players lounge be better spent than paying a players wages for a month ?

We need to stop gambling on multiple players hoping we hit a Ricky Holmes
Report Spam   Logged
guest170

« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2018, 12:26:14 pm »

Sorry I might have strayed a little but I would much prefer a smaller playing budget if the surplus was spent on other areas..

For example Would spending £10k sprucing up the players lounge be better spent than paying a players wages for a month ?

We need to stop gambling on multiple players hoping we hit a Ricky Holmes
Have I misunderstood or are you suggesting we'd be better off with a tin of paint and a new fridge for the lucozade than having a new player or paying a higher salary to attract talent?
Report Spam   Logged
The Rauldinho

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2018, 13:28:05 pm »

Have I misunderstood or are you suggesting we'd be better off with a tin of paint and a new fridge for the lucozade than having a new player or paying a higher salary to attract talent?

That's how I read it, that he would be okay with having a smaller playing budget and utilising the money elsewhere (ie upgrading facilities, stands etc).
Report Spam   Logged
guest168

« Reply #63 on: May 17, 2018, 13:59:25 pm »

Yes exactly right. Having 30 plus player should last season worked out well for us didn’t it

Investing in improving the facilities at least gives us some value in the medium term

Report Spam   Logged
guest170

« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2018, 14:02:39 pm »

Yes exactly right. Having 30 plus player should last season worked out well for us didn’t it

Investing in improving the facilities at least gives us some value in the medium term

Ok, so there is a balance. A squad of 30 is too big I agree but increasing the playing squad by 1 or 2 players of the right caliber or paying a bit more to attract the right player has to be above facilities. But facilities above 3-4 squad players that are 3rd, 4th, 5th choice etc
Report Spam   Logged
BedsCobb

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2018, 15:34:40 pm »

It all about striking the right balance between growing the match day income, gate, sponsorship, corperate and food and beverages and merchandise by 50% then increasing the players budget accordingly with a hope the better quality of players yeild some hefty sell on fees... and then we would be truly up and running as a club that means business...but it would involve firstly  a visit to the redevelopment closer than ever thread😂😊
Report Spam   Logged
EssTeeFree

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2018, 20:40:02 pm »

I don’t think anyone is pitching for a squad of 30. I think most would rather we’d took the budget from last year and spent it all on a squad of 23 but 2 different managers made a balls up of their recruitment.
Report Spam   Logged
guest47

« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2018, 20:43:29 pm »

There's no point in getting new players if there's nowhere for them to put their Lucozade
Report Spam   Logged
guest168

« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2018, 12:55:54 pm »

we had over 30 players last season and the season before

Almost everyone got very excited by our 9 January signings, that was money well spent wasn't it NOT

Just history repeating itself year after year, we went down this year because we could not buy ourselves out of trouble with loan signings, which we did a few times under DC

Easier said than done I know but small squad with quality / local youth players etc. See Oxford just sold another player up the league ladder

Report Spam   Logged
EssTeeFree

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2018, 13:09:55 pm »

But as I said earlier that has been down to poor recruitment. I was personally only really excited by the signings of Perreira and Ariyibi in January because I thought we would start to see some width, pace and attacking intent. I was very wrong. They were bad signings in Jimmy's hands but if properly used may well have proved to be shrewd. Hindsight is easy, if Thomas had blocked the moves for two wingers who looked exciting signings plenty on here would have had something to say about it.

Again, I don't think we went down because we couldn't buy our way out we went down because the Manager got some shiny new toys to go along with all the other toys he had but he had no idea how to use them effectively.

We all agree we need a smaller squad and we need to find a way to recruit better. How we do that though I don't know, if you appoint a manager then you probably trust him to recruit well.
Report Spam   Logged
Cobblersmad

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Level 5
« Reply #70 on: May 18, 2018, 18:22:34 pm »

I reckon we should offer a low wage and a high bonus for promotion. It's not as if Shrewsbury or Accrington are rolling in it, and I bet that is exactly what they have done. Offer those terms to a player and then you will see if the hunger and desire is truly there.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3114

« Reply #71 on: May 18, 2018, 19:24:07 pm »

So, having a big modern ground doesn’t guarantee success. Now it appears spending money on big salaries doesn’t either, so what does guarantee success? Hopefully it should have dawned on people that the answer is nothing. You can improve your chances, but nothing offers a guarantee. So why watch football at all at our level, or any level for that matter? I mean no one is happy on here, and if you read the forums of the clubs where we aspire to be, they are doing as much moaning as we are. If you are in division one you want the Championship, those in the Championship want the Prem, those in the Prem want Europe and if you are a supporter of Chelsea you want the manager out because he has not won the effing lot? At the end of the day do you believe that a supporter of Chelsea felt a bigger sense of euphoria when they won the title than we did winning division 2 under Wilder or Carr, think about it? Don’t get me wrong, it would be great to play against the Arsenal’s and United’s week in and week out but I don’t believe it’s the Shang-ri-la everyone believes it to be, read the forums or listen to 606? In any event, it’s sport, we are in the lap of the gods, accept it. I’m about to get shouted at again aren’t I?
Report Spam   Logged
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
5000 Posts Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #72 on: May 18, 2018, 23:18:03 pm »

I mean no one is happy on here, and if you read the forums of the clubs where we aspire to be, they are doing as much moaning as we are. If you are in division one you want the Championship, those in the Championship want the Prem, those in the Prem want Europe and if you are a supporter of Chelsea you want the manager out because he has not won the effing lot? At the end of the day do you believe that a supporter of Chelsea felt a bigger sense of euphoria when they won the title than we did winning division 2 under Wilder or Carr, think about it? Don’t get me wrong, it would be great to play against the Arsenal’s and United’s week in and week out but I don’t believe it’s the Shang-ri-la everyone believes it to be, read the forums or listen to 606? In any event, it’s sport, we are in the lap of the gods, accept it. I’m about to get shouted at again aren’t I?
I take exception at the line "no one is happy on here".

I am a very happy person. I love my job. My wife. My children. Where I live, my friends and in general my life. I honestly believe I understand the secret of contentment.

As I have said many times before. I would rather we played at a higher level. Just to watch better players. But I'm not bothered about the expansion or who runs the club, as long as I think they're OK. I just love watching the game. I really enjoy the company of those I sit with. I think most are generally ok with things. And for those that get worked up over nothing. Don't worry. One day something will come along that gives you a genuine perspective on what's really important in life. I will guarantee it.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3114

« Reply #73 on: May 19, 2018, 03:37:49 am »

I am a very happy person. I love my job. My wife. My children. Where I live, my friends and in general my life. I honestly believe I understand the secret of contentment.

As I have said many times before. I would rather we played at a higher level. Just to watch better players. But I'm not bothered about the expansion or who runs the club, as long as I think they're OK. I just love watching the game. I really enjoy the company of those I sit with. I think most are generally ok with things. And for those that get worked up over nothing. Don't worry. One day something will come along that gives you a genuine perspective on what's really important in life. I will guarantee it.
Er I was speaking in the context of the football club but thanks for the run down on the rest of your life. Happy days then?
Report Spam   Logged
BedsCobb

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 19, 2018, 08:51:52 am »

So, having a big modern ground doesn’t guarantee success. Now it appears spending money on big salaries doesn’t either, so what does guarantee success? Hopefully it should have dawned on people that the answer is nothing. You can improve your chances, but nothing offers a guarantee. So why watch football at all at our level, or any level for that matter? I mean no one is happy on here, and if you read the forums of the clubs where we aspire to be, they are doing as much moaning as we are. If you are in division one you want the Championship, those in the Championship want the Prem, those in the Prem want Europe and if you are a supporter of Chelsea you want the manager out because he has not won the effing lot? At the end of the day do you believe that a supporter of Chelsea felt a bigger sense of euphoria when they won the title than we did winning division 2 under Wilder or Carr, think about it? Don’t get me wrong, it would be great to play against the Arsenal’s and United’s week in and week out but I don’t believe it’s the Shang-ri-la everyone believes it to be, read the forums or listen to 606? In any event, it’s sport, we are in the lap of the gods, accept it. I’m about to get shouted at again aren’t I?
Try using the words long term, sustainable and steady growth within your posts and see how better things look.
Report Spam   Logged
guest1269

« Reply #75 on: May 19, 2018, 09:00:08 am »

Agreed, and it’s not an acceptance of mediocrity it’s actual an appreciation of reality about the things in life you can control - the here and now is the only reality.
Report Spam   Logged
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 19, 2018, 11:19:43 am »

Er I was speaking in the context of the football club but thanks for the run down on the rest of your life. Happy days then?

Try to be a bit less vague next time.... Did I mention how happy I am with my cat? 

Report Spam   Logged
EssTeeFree

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 19, 2018, 14:28:07 pm »

On the happiness point, fans are simply never for happy, at least not for long.

Imagine a world where a fan suddenly finds themselves in possession of a fortune and buys the club. Fast forward 10 years from now and we’re about to embark on our 6th consecutive season in the championship, playing in a 20,000 stadium (with safe standing areas). I guarantee there would be posts on here moaning that we keep finishing mid table, that we should be getting promoted to the prem and adding another 10,000 to the capacity.

It’s the nature of sport, as long as there is the next step to aim for people will want it and be frustrated if we don’t reach it.

For me I just want to watch my team trying to play entertaining football season after season, obviously as high up the ladder as possible. I’d still be there week in, week out if we dropped below the conference. But then to some on here I’m the worst kind of fan.
Report Spam   Logged
BedsCobb

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 19, 2018, 19:26:20 pm »

Agreed, and it’s not an acceptance of mediocrity it’s actual an appreciation of reality about the things in life you can control - the here and now is the only reality.
You need to understand not everyone can be a two club merchant, one big club in London that gives you the success you need and a little water treading never do well back water anomaly that fills in the gaps...
#itsanorthamptonthing
#thomasout
Report Spam   Logged
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 19, 2018, 21:57:50 pm »

You need to understand not everyone can be a two club merchant, one big club in London that gives you the success you need and a little water treading never do well back water anomaly that fills in the gaps...
#itsanorthamptonthing
#thomasout

Dropped Arsenal have you then?Huh??

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: