The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 10:57:12 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Ins and Outs - Summer 2018

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... 65   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ins and Outs - Summer 2018  (Read 87308 times)
The Rauldinho

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #420 on: July 20, 2018, 15:04:53 pm »

Some interesting comments about declined offers for players and the youngsters.

Sounds like Morgan Roberts will be involved, maybe not so much Whaler until he has bulked up?
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 15:42:36 pm by The Rauldinho » Report Spam   Logged
guest3023

« Reply #421 on: July 20, 2018, 15:25:21 pm »

Both players could provide value if used in the right way, within the right team. Hoskins started around half our games when we won the league, came on in most of the others. Bowditch started nearly 30 games a couple of seasons back when MK Dons go promoted from league 1. They can clearly add something in the right team / framework.

I'm not sure why everything has to dialled up to be so absolute, it is a team game and there are many ways to get a successful team out. there are so many examples of players who thrive at one club or under one manager who flop at/for the next.

Agree with this. Hoskins did well in the promotion season, as you say playing a significant contribution as a squad player. I feel pretty confident he'll make a similar contribution this season. I wouldn't start Bowditch too often, but he is a solid experienced player to bring off the bench in certain situations and perhaps in certain formations/playing styles can do a job as a starter at times.

I'd certainly rather have him in the squad than Jak McCourt who Swindon have just signed!
Report Spam   Logged
guest2487

« Reply #422 on: July 20, 2018, 15:38:19 pm »

Of our young players, maybe Facey or McWilliams?
Report Spam   Logged
Glastonbury Cobbler

View Profile
2500 Posts Windows User Combination
« Reply #423 on: July 20, 2018, 15:42:05 pm »

By "near" our starting 11 do you actually mean key players, starting the vast majority of games or do you actually mean just near, i.e. starting around half and being on the bench the others?

Both players could provide value if used in the right way, within the right team. Hoskins started around half our games when we won the league, came on in most of the others. Bowditch started nearly 30 games a couple of seasons back when MK Dons go promoted from league 1. They can clearly add something in the right team / framework.

I'm not sure why everything has to dialled up to be so absolute, it is a team game and there are many ways to get a successful team out. there are so many examples of players who thrive at one club or under one manager who flop at/for the next.

Yes by near I mean in and around the first 11 week in week out - I could cope with them as squad players or options from the bench.

But IMO neither have enough quality to be regular first team players within our team if we have ambitions of being play offs or above
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #424 on: July 20, 2018, 16:19:38 pm »

Some interesting comments about declined offers for players and the youngsters.

Sounds like Morgan Roberts will be involved, maybe not so much Whaler until he has bulked up?
It’s concerning but not surprising that players want to leave and they are being made to stay .
That generally only ends up with the price being met eventually or a disgruntled player .
I hope we have enough time to replace people if they go at the last hour .
Report Spam   Logged
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #425 on: July 20, 2018, 16:46:10 pm »

It’s concerning but not surprising that players want to leave and they are being made to stay .
That generally only ends up with the price being met eventually or a disgruntled player .

Every player has a price and if another club is not prepared to meet that price then there is no transfer - pretty simple really and I don’t care if they are disgruntled it’s tough luck. That said I wouldn’t be at all surprised if some move on at the 11th hour as that’s what football’s like - clubs bluffing and trying to get players on the cheap only to suddenly find that bit extra when the deadline approaches. It is likely to leave us in the sh** though.
Report Spam   Logged
St Edmundsbury Cobbler

View Profile
Level 6 Search Windows User
« Reply #426 on: July 21, 2018, 05:40:59 am »

If they had stepped up for more than just the last three games of last season, they may well still be League One footballers
Report Spam   Logged

2022/23 Prediction League Champion
2022/23 Guess The Attendance Champion

Claret & White - Nothing Else Matters
guest3063

« Reply #427 on: July 21, 2018, 07:03:07 am »

I think you'll find they are under contract!!

They stay until someone is prepared to pay the right price, quite simple really.
Report Spam   Logged
Glastonbury Cobbler

View Profile
2500 Posts Windows User Combination
« Reply #428 on: July 21, 2018, 10:19:12 am »

I think you'll find they are under contract!!

They stay until someone is prepared to pay the right price, quite simple really.

Not quite as simple as that tho is it - Theres not much worse that keeping a player here, that clearly does not want to be here.

some might say A la KVV last season - because look at how well that worked out!

I agree tho - everyone will have a price (especially if we have outlaid money) - that does need to be recouped in order for these players to move on - As others have said that's prob why it won't happen until late in the window when other teams start to panic - Where does that leave us tho if it is very late?
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #429 on: July 21, 2018, 10:21:31 am »

All of the comments above are true , but if a player wants to leave generally speaking they eventually get their own way and a price is met .
Dean Austin will also not want bad eggs that don’t want to be here .
Interesting that KT said someone came in for one of the younger players as well . I assume that would be McWilliams .
Report Spam   Logged
Monty

View Profile
Windows User Apple User Combination
« Reply #430 on: July 21, 2018, 10:47:51 am »

Every player has a price and if another club is not prepared to meet that price then there is no transfer - pretty simple really and I don’t care if they are disgruntled it’s tough luck. That said I wouldn’t be at all surprised if some move on at the 11th hour as that’s what football’s like - clubs bluffing and trying to get players on the cheap only to suddenly find that bit extra when the deadline approaches. It is likely to leave us in the sh** though.
Exactly this. Is there actually any evidence of disgruntled players? KT says 'some of them have seen offers they may have liked' but that's as far as it goes - I'm sure that if they definitely wanted to pursue these offers then it would have probably gone further. It smacks of other clubs trying to get players on the cheap - One or more may well still go but it doesn't seem like a firesale is on the cards.
Report Spam   Logged

Hotel End Grand National Sweepstake Winner 2018, Fantasy Premier League Winner 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #431 on: July 21, 2018, 11:38:13 am »

All of the comments above are true , but if a player wants to leave generally speaking they eventually get their own way and a price is met .
Dean Austin will also not want bad eggs that don’t want to be here .
Interesting that KT said someone came in for one of the younger players as well . I assume that would be McWilliams .

You have in the past go on about players wanting to leave, disgruntled etc. Please explain how you assume these things are facts and above all your source.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
ItsaSetPieceDivision

View Profile
Windows User
« Reply #432 on: July 21, 2018, 17:09:00 pm »

Has the interviewer not heard of a wind shield
Report Spam   Logged
Aitobs

View Profile
500 Posts Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #433 on: July 21, 2018, 18:29:04 pm »

I think it may have more to do with ability than physique- judging on preseason, Whaler is the bigger lad of the two.

Roberts is also said to be a good set-piece taker, something we have lacked in the team since the departure of Matt Taylor, so that may also have increased his standing in the eyes of Dean Austin.
Report Spam   Logged
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #434 on: July 21, 2018, 20:19:18 pm »

Whatever happens we could do with any player movements taking place as early next week as possible to give us a chance to know what we're dealing with and get settled for the start of the season. It's absolutely ridiculous that the window closes a week after the first game. Someone on Facebook has randomly threw out the name of Man Utd's young fifth choice keeper which doesn't look massively inspiring - if we're going down that route I'd rather goff was kept in the first team squad.
Report Spam   Logged
The Rauldinho

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #435 on: July 22, 2018, 07:47:10 am »

I think it may have more to do with ability than physique- judging on preseason, Whaler is the bigger lad of the two.
Roberts is also said to be a good set-piece taker, something we have lacked in the team since the departure of Matt Taylor, so that may also have increased his standing in the eyes of Dean Austin.

Good to know, Bowditch takes a decent set piece too. I agree we missed a consistent delivery last term.
Report Spam   Logged
Snow Dive Larry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #436 on: July 22, 2018, 17:51:48 pm »

Agreed about set pieces - England showed this summer how crucial they can be and if Ash stays he would benefit from some better deliveries for sure.
Report Spam   Logged

Wolvo

View Profile
« Reply #437 on: July 22, 2018, 18:01:41 pm »

Agreed about set pieces - England showed this summer how crucial they can be and if Ash stays he would benefit from some better deliveries for sure.

He's just had his highest scoring season thanks to our set pieces last season.
Report Spam   Logged

Pink Army!
guest2995

« Reply #438 on: July 22, 2018, 19:06:34 pm »

You have in the past go on about players wanting to leave, disgruntled etc. Please explain how you assume these things are facts and above all your source.
The only thing I am saying is that if players want to leave to play a higher level of football or take more in wages ,generally they get their own way regardless of contracts .
I hope we keep this squad together and KT doesnt accept offers because it will become difficult to replace anyone . It’s no guarantee that any other club will pay the wages or fees we have paid .
It’s a fact players want to leave but let’s hope they don’t and the spirit is kept alive for a good season ahead .
It’s true these players got us into this position but I’m afraid footballers are selfish people and will look after themselves .
Report Spam   Logged
Snow Dive Larry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #439 on: July 22, 2018, 19:45:18 pm »

He's just had his highest scoring season thanks to our set pieces last season.

In that case I'll fetch my coat and be on my way to my taxi!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... 65   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: