The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 09:04:50 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Ins and Outs - Summer 2018

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ... 65   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ins and Outs - Summer 2018  (Read 87278 times)
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Apple User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #900 on: August 06, 2018, 08:43:09 am »

If losing Crooks meant that we would be able to bring in some real quality out wide in the Adams / Holmes vein, I'd be pretty fine with that.
Report Spam   Logged
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #901 on: August 06, 2018, 11:00:49 am »

Obviously none of us know or is likely to know how much we paid for crooks or how much we will get for him but if we are talking about a substantial profit then that is pretty good going based on his part in last seasons debacle, the fact that he’s pretty injury prone and that he came to us on the back of a very disappointing spell at Rangers. With crooks it is all based on potential and the fact that he is undoubtedly talented - whether he’ll thrive at Rotherham or not in a relegation battle remains to be seen.
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #902 on: August 06, 2018, 11:25:55 am »

For a team like Rotherham, a punt on Crooks makes sense. Because he *could be really good at that level. And his wages would be low for that level. Its a good move for Crooks as well…if he does well for them, and they do go down (again)…he will get a big money move. Cant lose.
For us, selling him for say 250k with add ons would (a) considerably balance the books & (b) enable us to add another wide player to the squad.
He's EASILY our most talented player BUT he's also injury prone, goes awol at times (a lot), its not totally obvious what his best position is, it takes him several games to find his form again after being out. Basically he's an expensive luxury we can ill afford in league2. Our squad is not greatly balanced and the evidence was there for all to see on Saturday that we need at least one more decent wide option. I suspect we have easily the highest wage bill in this division, so its understandable that a one in one out policy appears to be in place. The Clubs total mismanagement from last season is going to take sometime to recover from!
Report Spam   Logged
Mathius

View Profile
« Reply #903 on: August 06, 2018, 11:39:26 am »

Agree with Drilling. Crooks and KVV are the highest earners but there are others on more money than we should have agreed to.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #904 on: August 06, 2018, 12:07:54 pm »

For a team like Rotherham, a punt on Crooks makes sense.
He's EASILY our most talented player BUT he's also injury prone, goes awol at times (a lot), its not totally obvious what his best position is, it takes him several games to find his form again after being out. Basically he's an expensive luxury we can ill afford in league2.

Crooks is a good player which showed on Saturday. We can ill afford to lose him. Has he signed for Rotherham? - as you give the impression he has!  Wouldn’t touch Rotherham with a barge pole!  Collectively not good enough for the championship.if we want quality we have to pay for it!
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
guest170

« Reply #905 on: August 06, 2018, 12:10:29 pm »

I hope he stays, and I think he will until January at least. But if he does we have to reinvest every penny in a wide / creative player.
Although not as good as Crooks we have enough options good enough for L2 in the middle but nothing really to spark an opportunity and assists like we had with Adams and Holmes
Report Spam   Logged
guest170

« Reply #906 on: August 06, 2018, 12:13:07 pm »

Ricky Holmes still hasn't gone to Oxford.
I'm not normally a fan of getting ex players back but for him I would be. Hopefully KT has been in contact with his old mate
Report Spam   Logged
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #907 on: August 06, 2018, 12:18:07 pm »

I'm not normally a fan of getting ex players back but for him I would be. Hopefully KT has been in contact with his old mate

Grin

Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #908 on: August 06, 2018, 12:25:05 pm »

Crooks is a good player which showed on Saturday. We can ill afford to lose him. Has he signed for Rotherham? - as you give the impression he has!  Wouldn’t touch Rotherham with a barge pole!  Collectively not good enough for the championship.if we want quality we have to pay for it!

Unlike yourself, I have been very critical of KT and our board in recent times. HOWEVER. I do not expend them to fund an excessively expensive team relative to the level we are at.

Are you aware that we are looking at losses of million quid this season as things stand? I am not privy as to what wages people are on individually but Id hazard a guess that Crooks and VV are being paid anywhere between 300 and 500k combined. So simple economics would be to get them both out of the door, and in Crooks case get a decent transfer fee as well. So all of a sudden the clubs projected losses are considerably more manageable. And it could well enable DA to bring in a decent winger to give the side more of an overall balance.

I also never gave any impression that he's signed for them, I'm just going with the flow of the thread. The source of the rumour on twitter is normally a very reliable one so I suspect theres more than something in it. Also, what exactly is wrong with Rotherham?! They are two divisions higher, have a lovely ground, better support than us…if I was Crooks Id want to go. 100%.

Crooks and VV are taking up a huge percentage of the wage budget between them, they don't offer value for money in my opinion. If VV isn't loaned out by the end of August (or sold before Thursday) I will be VERY surprised. The reality is that it does always come down to economics. Crooks is good but he's no Ricky Holmes. Taylors alright but he's no Sammo, Warburton, Gypes. Or Chambers, Dyche or Rusell Wilcox. If he's on proportionately big wages Id be looking to move him on as well.

Because of the Chinese 'investment' we have a terribly disproportionately paid squad. Thats now stopping DA doing what he's paid to do, i.e. bring the players in he needs to give him more healthy options. My view is that he's got the toughest job of any Cobblers manager for many a year. We will know a lot more in a weeks time as to which direction this season is likely to head. If money was no object, Id be crying out for 2 more wingers and for us to keep Crooks. He's a good player. BUT in our current situation Id argue that he's a very expensive luxury, which will be even more bloated if we turn down a decent offer for him and he ends up staying.
Report Spam   Logged
the grumpy old man

View Profile
1000 Posts Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #909 on: August 06, 2018, 12:36:34 pm »

It said on Sky Sports this morning that James Goff had gone on a months loan to Banbury. There's nothing on the official site that I can see.
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #910 on: August 06, 2018, 12:40:42 pm »

It said on Sky Sports this morning that James Goff had gone on a months loan to Banbury. There's nothing on the official site that I can see.

https://www.ntfc.co.uk/news/2018/august/james_goff_loan/
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #911 on: August 06, 2018, 15:22:49 pm »

I have no faith in any money for crooks being spent wisely, it’s always a gamble and one that never normally ends well. Keep crooks
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #912 on: August 06, 2018, 15:29:14 pm »

Fingers crossed we can keep this squad together and no one goes anywhere by Thursday or on loan after that.
We have deficiencies but so do all teams at our level.
I think McWilliams’ injury will mean that he stays and I hope Crooks / Taylor / Van Veen can’t get their move and settle down . Turnbull can go if he likes !
Our wage bill must be enormous , not to mention those we are still paying off .
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #913 on: August 06, 2018, 15:40:07 pm »

Would drive him here FOC
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
guest3230

« Reply #914 on: August 06, 2018, 15:52:27 pm »

I have no faith in any money for crooks being spent wisely, it’s always a **** and one that never normally ends well. Keep crooks

Replaced by a loan as usual
Report Spam   Logged
corno_ntfc

View Profile
Search Level 6 Linux User
« Reply #915 on: August 06, 2018, 16:31:49 pm »

Yep apparenrly Banbury were supposed to communiciate about the timing of the announcement but then didn't.

Right decision I think, not ready for L2 yet from the little seen.
Report Spam   Logged

Football WITHOUT Fans is NOTHING
Alfred

View Profile
Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #916 on: August 06, 2018, 18:11:51 pm »

From what i understand Crooks leaving will open the door for 2 players to come in.
Report Spam   Logged
JollyCobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #917 on: August 06, 2018, 18:13:44 pm »

From what i understand Crooks leaving will open the door for 2 players to come in.

Loans?
Report Spam   Logged
Cobblersmad

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Level 5
« Reply #918 on: August 06, 2018, 18:46:17 pm »

Are you aware that we are looking at losses of million quid this season as things stand? I am not privy as to what wages people are on individually but Id hazard a guess that Crooks and VV are being paid anywhere between 300 and 500k combined.

You're having a laugh with that guess! Cloud cuckoo land comes to mind
Report Spam   Logged
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #919 on: August 06, 2018, 19:10:06 pm »

Can you tell us what position the 2 players are likely to be?
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ... 65   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: