The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 20:09:07 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

L2 Next season.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: L2 Next season.  (Read 2028 times)
defender

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« on: June 08, 2018, 10:01:32 am »

One bonus from relegation to L2, is that we will come up against Gary Johnsons Cheltenham and Andy Williams has played for them in the past. So come on Andy score against your old club, we owe Johnson a good thrashing.
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

guest1269

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 11:43:25 am »

One bonus from relegation to L2, is that we will come up against Gary Johnsons Cheltenham and Andy Williams has played for them in the past. So come on Andy score against your old club, we owe Johnson a good thrashing.

Love or Hate of managers is a fickle thing - JFH has proven to be an awful manager for us and never really acquitted himself on fan relationship but has never attracted the post departure malice afforded to Gary Johnson
Report Spam   Logged
defender

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 12:39:25 pm »

Very true.
Report Spam   Logged
BedsCobb

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 12:55:01 pm »

Love or Hate of managers is a fickle thing - JFH has proven to be an awful manager for us and never really acquitted himself on fan relationship but has never attracted the post departure malice afforded to Gary Johnson
To be honest it can't always be the managers fault can it? Almost all Our previous Managerial 'failures' have gone on to bigger a better,  Johnson having taken little Yeovil up into the championship and kept them there for 2 seasons. Boothroyd is entrusted with developing and shaping  Englands future teams as U21 boss as is Rob Page doing this for Wales.
Edinburgh is making waves down in Leyton,  Wilder, the luckiest manager ever, it seems has done good..
Its as if these managers when at the Cobblers are expected to play with the players forced on to them and use alien tactics ask of them instead of it being all there own work, obviously not the case but just looks that way.
Dean Austin Im sure will be a have some success at the Cobblers and really show his worth when at a more progressive club.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 12:57:11 pm by BedsCobb » Report Spam   Logged
JollyCobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 13:17:59 pm »

Having to visit any League 2 ground next season, as opposed to watching League 1 football, is not a bonus - unless we are storming the league. Grin
Report Spam   Logged
EssTeeFree

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 13:46:53 pm »

To be honest it can't always be the managers fault can it? Almost all Our previous Managerial 'failures' have gone on to bigger a better,  Johnson having taken little Yeovil up into the championship and kept them there for 2 seasons. Boothroyd is entrusted with developing and shaping  Englands future teams as U21 boss as is Rob Page doing this for Wales.
Edinburgh is making waves down in Leyton,  Wilder, the luckiest manager ever, it seems has done good..
Its as if these managers when at the Cobblers are expected to play with the players forced on to them and use alien tactics ask of them instead of it being all there own work, obviously not the case but just looks that way.
Dean Austin Im sure will be a have some success at the Cobblers and really show his worth when at a more progressive club.

Aside from Johnson and Wilder I'm not sure any of the others have had that much success. To be honest in Johnson's case he's basically met expectations in all his jobs since he left us apart from Yoevil's promotion, which was very admittedly very impressive.

Boothroyd got into the England set-up because his best mate is the Technical Director. Page at Wales, who knows but I'd imagine being an ex-international gives him enough kudos with the Welsh FA, plus being an international manager is totally different job. JED has done about par at Leyton Orient, the time to judge him is probably this season.

Let's see how Jimmy's career goes, I saw on here earlier he's off to manage in India! Looking further back Atkins and Wilson peaked with us, Calderwood did ok at Forest but nowt since. I think perhaps good managers are rare and hard to come by!
Report Spam   Logged
spqr

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 15:15:21 pm »

Morecambe's pies are good.
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2018, 18:24:02 pm »

Having to visit any League 2 ground next season, as opposed to watching League 1 football, is not a bonus - unless we are storming the league. Grin
Can't wait personally...far more interesting...been Sunderland three times - twice with the Cobbs!
Report Spam   Logged
guest1269

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2018, 18:29:31 pm »

Very true - I’m smiling at you comments on Chris Wilder though. - dangerous comment & you might upset people but I know what you mean 😉
Report Spam   Logged
Monty

View Profile
Windows User Apple User Combination
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2018, 19:05:41 pm »

If I had to list my Top 5 most enjoyable seasons while supporting the Cobblers I think all 5 would have been when we've been in the 4th tier.
Report Spam   Logged

Hotel End Grand National Sweepstake Winner 2018, Fantasy Premier League Winner 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
guest1269

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2018, 19:11:17 pm »

If I had to list my Top 5 most enjoyable seasons while supporting the Cobblers I think all 5 would have been when we've been in the 4th tier.

Interesting point and thinking about it you are right - apart from the Grimsby play off season (and that wasn’t a stunning season for enjoyment) most of our fleeting visits to the third tier have been either boring or fraught.
Report Spam   Logged
BedsCobb

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2018, 19:39:58 pm »

(pssst Ive got to say this quietly, we haven't the infrastructure to play and survive outside the 4th tier)
Report Spam   Logged
guest1269

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2018, 19:43:59 pm »

(pssst Ive got to say this quietly, we haven't the infrastructure to play and survive outside the 4th tier)

You seemed to have moved from frustrated anger to witty comment - good man you will live longer and happier - football will still be basement stuff but at least you can say you tried 😀
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2018, 20:46:41 pm »

Why do you say that?
Report Spam   Logged
defender

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2018, 05:52:23 am »

I DIDN'T SAY IT WAS A BONUS TO GO DOWN,
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2018, 06:46:37 am »

I DIDN'T SAY IT WAS A BONUS TO GO DOWN,

You used those words in the sentence, but not necessarily in the same order.
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2018, 09:05:28 am »

I think that JFH was a worse manager than Johnson to be honest. Main reasoning for this opinion is the backing he received in the transfer market, which is far beyond any manager in recent times.
Report Spam   Logged
Wolvo

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2018, 10:15:31 am »

I think that JFH was a worse manager than Johnson to be honest. Main reasoning for this opinion is the backing he received in the transfer market, which is far beyond any manager in recent times.

I think if you based it on league performance Johnson would be the worst. JFH left us higher placed in the league than where he found us, whereas Johnson took us right to the foot of the table from a safe place under Sammo.
Report Spam   Logged

Pink Army!
Coolcat

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2018, 19:18:07 pm »

I agree.
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2018, 19:21:40 pm »

Also, Johnson brought a first team squad to Oxford City, which was enjoyed by many Cobblers fans...including one walking away with the ball under his lads top!

I'll get my coat... Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: