The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 22:12:11 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

It's not coming home

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: It's not coming home  (Read 7448 times)
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2018, 09:24:08 am »

Better informed viewpoints, such as? The English media? They're mostly following a party line, possibly because the tournament's in Russia and with the political situation they want to be overly positive. The commentator on ITV was nauseating during England games for example. The commentary never used to be as biased as it is now.

Here's one well-informed viewpoint which is a good general overview:

Oh, and I've been quite positive about Cobblers chances this season, certainly more than some, as you can tell by looking at my posts!

Well if that’s your idea of informed view by 2 or 3  Scottish Pundits then God help us !  Souness ok to begin with but was slowly taken apart by the foreign guy who reined him in.  You did well to locate that judgement panel - which TV group/station was that.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Carlo Corazzins Corduroy

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 14, 2018, 12:21:51 pm »

Well if that’s your idea of informed view by 2 or 3  Scottish Pundits then God help us !  Souness ok to begin with but was slowly taken apart by the foreign guy who reined him in.  You did well to locate that judgement panel - which TV group/station was that.

What part do you actually disagree with Souness over? His point was England didn't have a central midfielder that can retain possession well, and you need that to do well in the final stages. I don't see what being Scottish has anything to do with it.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #62 on: July 14, 2018, 12:47:13 pm »

Unless they defect, they will all be coming home!

Just nice to see that England are now only 4 years behind the rest of the world in terms of tactics, instead of 4 light years.

Nice to see an England manager sticking to their guns, even though the opposition have changed game plan mid-game.

Nice to see England players collapsing with fatigue against a team that has just played their 3rd 120 minute game in a week.

Nice to see a totally inept England midfield.

Nice to see England firing blanks.

Nice to see England forgetting to attack the ball when defending.

Nice to see England in the semis on merit.

Nice to see England in the 3rd place play-offs.

Nice to see our captain accept the "Golden Boot" with his arse-cheeks.

Nice to see that England players can play a 20 yard pass deep inside their own half when no opposition player is on the pitch.

Nice to see that being an England midfield player involves keeping possession of the ball for less than 3 micro-seconds in a World Cup semi.

Nice to see that niceness over-rules ineptitude.

Nice to see you, to see you, nice!

Nice to see you being as stupid as ever.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 14, 2018, 21:59:51 pm »

What part do you actually disagree with Souness over? His point was England didn't have a central midfielder that can retain possession well, and you need that to do well in the final stages. I don't see what being Scottish has anything to do with it.

Souness was saying the obvious we know that the midfield was deficient - the foreign guy told him so and after near argument reined him in.
IMO not sure you would get fair/reasonable comment from Souness(Scottish) who appeared to have an axe to grind.  Being Scottish of course had nothing to do with it;or did it for you?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 22:09:10 pm by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

guest3023

« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2018, 10:21:06 am »

What's being Scottish got to do with it?

Only 2 were Scottish, and Gray offered little opinion during the video, so just Souness. Paul Robinson is English and didn't disagree with Souness, while the presenter, Keys (English) didn't either.

The foreign guy you mention is German, Stefan Freund. Ex-Spurs player and was their assistant manager until very recently and may still be a technical director, wiki doesn't make it clear. There were 5 Spurs players on the pitch come end of the match, and one ex-Spurs. He likely coached all these so will of course likely stick up for them. I disagree that Souness was 'slowly taken apart' by Freund, his arguments were pretty feeble e.g. 'Come on, they all play for top clubs!'

Report Spam   Logged
Carlo Corazzins Corduroy

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2018, 11:35:49 am »

Souness was saying the obvious we know that the midfield was deficient - the foreign guy told him so and after near argument reined him in.
IMO not sure you would get fair/reasonable comment from Souness(Scottish) who appeared to have an axe to grind.  Being Scottish of course had nothing to do with it;or did it for you?

I don't really understand - you agree that his point was obvious but also think he has an axe to grind? If pundits aren't allowed to say anything other than 'THE LADS DONE GOOD' then why bother having them on there.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2018, 12:16:22 pm »

I don't really understand - you agree that his point was obvious but also think he has an axe to grind? If pundits aren't allowed to say anything other than 'THE LADS DONE GOOD' then why bother having them on there.

Not quite sure what you don’t understand? It’s my opinion that’s all. You have to know Souness background and I still think he has an axe to grind! I know, you know and certainly Clarence knows that our midfield was lacking. To belabour the point is hardly even debatable! Reference to Scottish is a bit of a red herring but I guess it went over yr head!
Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 15, 2018, 12:26:24 pm »

What's being Scottish got to do with it?

Only 2 were Scottish, and Gray offered little opinion during the video, so just Souness. Paul Robinson is English and didn't disagree with Souness, while the presenter, Keys (English) didn't either.

The foreign guy you mention is German, Stefan Freund. Ex-Spurs player and was their assistant manager until very recently and may still be a technical director, wiki doesn't make it clear. There were 5 Spurs players on the pitch come end of the match, and one ex-Spurs. He likely coached all these so will of course likely stick up for them. I disagree that Souness was 'slowly taken apart' by Freund, his arguments were pretty feeble e.g. 'Come on, they all play for top clubs!'

Nothing - it’s a red herring!With Gray he merely refused to be drawn on Souness POV , refer to it by all means ; talk about the obvious! As you may know Souness is generally an argumentative s%d, concentrating on the obvious and making it an issue - Wow! no wonder Gray had the iq to basically ignore it.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 12:29:03 pm by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

guest3023

« Reply #68 on: July 15, 2018, 13:07:22 pm »

Nothing - it’s a red herring!With Gray he merely refused to be drawn on Souness POV , refer to it by all means ; talk about the obvious! As you may know Souness is generally an argumentative s%d, concentrating on the obvious and making it an issue - Wow! no wonder Gray had the iq to basically ignore it.

You sure like to back-track/shift-the-goal-posts/take-discussion-points-out-context!  Wink

Earlier in the thread I pointed out that Croatia outclassed England overall and you took exception to it. Now regarding choosing to speak about or not choosing to speak about this issue you bring IQ into the equation! I thought the 'foreign' guy 'took Souness and his opinions apart'? How did he do this if on the other hand Gray had the IQ to basically ignore Souness' blatantly-obvious-to-everyone and not-in-debate points? Can such obvious opinions be 'ripped apart'? Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Carlo Corazzins Corduroy

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 15, 2018, 13:14:24 pm »

Not quite sure what you don’t understand? It’s my opinion that’s all. You have to know Souness background and I still think he has an axe to grind! I know, you know and certainly Clarence knows that our midfield was lacking. To belabour the point is hardly even debatable! Reference to Scottish is a bit of a red herring but I guess it went over yr head!

It's not even a dissenting opinion though. It's essentially agreeing while also being annoyed it's mentioned by someone you perceive as bias against England.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2018, 18:18:28 pm »

It's not even a dissenting opinion though. It's essentially agreeing while also being annoyed it's mentioned by someone you perceive as bias against England.

Sorry not quite sure what you are saying. Essentially my opinion is that Souness hung his hat quite correctly on a relatively weak English midfield. But he would not let go he made his point and wanted it to be the main discussion. Gray at best was bored and the German guy actually defused the situation. I suppose if it had been Strachan it might have been more balanced and realistic
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 18:20:51 pm by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 15, 2018, 21:32:59 pm »

You sure like to back-track/shift-the-goal-posts/take-discussion-points-out-context!  Wink

Earlier in the thread I pointed out that Croatia outclassed England overall and you took exception to it. Now regarding choosing to speak about or not choosing to speak about this issue you bring IQ into the equation! I thought the 'foreign' guy 'took Souness and his opinions apart'? How did he do this if on the other hand Gray had the IQ to basically ignore Souness' blatantly-obvious-to-everyone and not-in-debate points? Can such obvious opinions be 'ripped apart'? Grin

I am not making fun of you but you do take yourself very seriously which I suppose we are all guilty of from time to time. I still dont think Croatia outclassed us at least not in the way France did to them today. I only watched the 2nd half and they(Cr) looked like conceding every time France attacked. France were generally very direct when the  opportunity arose. I dont think Croatia were direct enough so enabling France to defend quite well/easily. I still think Croatia got to the final more via our failure to put away two decent chances one of which Kane failed to do.
No fancy talk and convoluted opinion in defence of Classy Croatia should change that. I look forward to your comments on Cobblers games this coming season with a mixture of forefoding and anticipation.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 22:09:56 pm by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

guest3181

« Reply #72 on: July 15, 2018, 22:03:20 pm »

Clear from tonight, with technology available, that football is all about money.

Better to watch theatre than spend emotion on a game decided before the teams kick-off.

I am never going to spend money on watching football ever again.  It is now a farce.

Unless every commentator is in the pay of Uefa/Fifa..... is it just me that thought that France were s***, and deserved to have the floor wiped with them?
Report Spam   Logged
guest3023

« Reply #73 on: July 15, 2018, 23:12:16 pm »

I am not making fun of you but you do take yourself very seriously which I suppose we are all guilty of from time to time. I still dont think Croatia outclassed us at least not in the way France did to them today. I only watched the 2nd half and they(Cr) looked like conceding every time France attacked. France were generally very direct when the  opportunity arose. I dont think Croatia were direct enough so enabling France to defend quite well/easily. I still think Croatia got to the final more via our failure to put away two decent chances one of which Kane failed to do.
No fancy talk and convoluted opinion in defence of Classy Croatia should change that. I look forward to your comments on Cobblers games this coming season with a mixture of forefoding and anticipation.

They really need a spit-your-tea-out-over-the-screen 'emoji' thingymebob for moments like these. I'll just have to do with  Undecided !

Report Spam   Logged
guest3023

« Reply #74 on: July 15, 2018, 23:23:43 pm »

Sorry not quite sure what you are saying. Essentially my opinion is that Souness hung his hat quite correctly on a relatively weak English midfield. But he would not let go he made his point and wanted it to be the main discussion. Gray at best was bored and the German guy actually defused the situation. I suppose if it had been Strachan it might have been more balanced and realistic

Hang about, I thought that it was 2-3 Scottish guys putting the 'biased' boot into England, now it's Souness the sole-voice and Gray being bored and refusing to engage? And I thought the 'German guy' 'tore' Souness 'apart', now he 'defused the situation'? Can you defuse a situation by 'tearing' someone apart? What 'situation' needed 'defusing'? Are there two separate videos and I've only seen one of them? Grin

Do you think if the 'German guy' had not been on ex-Spurs player and very recent (and possibly present) coach at said club also but a German who had not played for Spurs would his opinion have been more balanced and realistic?

Right, now I'm off to blow-dry my !

Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 16, 2018, 08:43:32 am »

Hang about, I thought that it was 2-3 Scottish guys putting the 'biased' boot into England, now it's Souness the sole-voice and Gray being bored and refusing to engage? And I thought the 'German guy' 'tore' Souness 'apart', now he 'defused the situation'? Can you defuse a situation by 'tearing' someone apart? What 'situation' needed 'defusing'? Are there two separate videos and I've only seen one of them? Grin

Do you think if the 'German guy' had not been on ex-Spurs player and very recent (and possibly present) coach at said club also but a German who had not played for Spurs would his opinion have been more balanced and realistic?

Right, now I'm off to blow-dry my !

Who mentioned ‘tore’  as it was ‘slowly taken apart’. Big difference . Who mentioned bias? The unfortunate German guy is now an ‘agent provocateur’ you are making it up as you go along! Please have the last word ‘Frank’ ? as we are in danger of boring any readers stiff.
Report Spam   Logged

guest3023

« Reply #76 on: July 16, 2018, 10:54:29 am »

Who mentioned ‘tore’  as it was ‘slowly taken apart’. Big difference . Who mentioned bias? The unfortunate German guy is now an ‘agent provocateur’ you are making it up as you go along! Please have the last word ‘Frank’ ? as we are in danger of boring any readers stiff.

You bought up that there 2-3 Scottish pundits, implying their nationality somehow had a negative baring on their analysis on the game. i.e. 'bias'. You've also said you felt Souness 'had an axe to grind' i.e. strongly implied he was being 'biased' in his analysis for some reason.

German guy now an 'agent provocateur'? How have I implied that? What are you on about? As I've said he's a Spurs man, almost half the England team who featured in the match were Spurs or ex-Spurs players who he probably coached, so he tried to stick-up for them.

OK. 'slowly taken apart' as opposed to 'torn' apart! The difference has little to no effect on my original point. You stated that he 'slowly took apart' Souness, then switched that to 'defused the situation'. They are not compatible. If you want to to 'defuse a situation' you do not do that by 'slowly taking apart' the other guy, which I would suggest would have the opposite effect of 'defusing' the 'situation'. Which is it?

Good sport this.  Wink

Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 20, 2018, 09:56:28 am »

You bought up that there 2-3 Scottish pundits, implying their nationality somehow had a negative baring on their analysis on the game. i.e. 'bias'. You've also said you felt Souness 'had an axe to grind' i.e. strongly implied he was being 'biased' in his analysis for some reason.

German guy now an 'agent provocateur'? How have I implied that? What are you on about? As I've said he's a Spurs man, almost half the England team who featured in the match were Spurs or ex-Spurs players who he probably coached, so he tried to stick-up for them.

OK. 'slowly taken apart' as opposed to 'torn' apart! The difference has little to no effect on my original point. You stated that he 'slowly took apart' Souness, then switched that to 'defused the situation'. They are not compatible. If you want to to 'defuse a situation' you do not do that by 'slowly taking apart' the other guy, which I would suggest would have the opposite effect of 'defusing' the 'situation'. Which is it?

Good sport this.  Wink

Implying, bias etc all conjecture on your part. Now Frank behave yourself and pack up these defensive replies.
Report Spam   Logged

guest3023

« Reply #78 on: July 20, 2018, 12:16:00 pm »

Implying, bias etc all conjecture on your part. Now Frank behave yourself and pack up these defensive replies.

So why did you bring up their nationality? Do you think Scottish ex-professional's know less about football than ex-professionals from other nationalities? What else did you mean when you stated that Souness had an axe to grind, if not that his opinion was being led by bias? It's not conjecture.

How can slowly taking someone apart be the same as 'defusing' a situation? And what situation needed defusing?

Why are you calling me Frank?  Huh?

'Defensive replies'?  Roll Eyes I think you're a fan of the 'best-form-of-defence-is-attack' tactic!  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: