The Hotel End
April 18, 2024, 23:36:43 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Lincoln game

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lincoln game  (Read 16031 times)
guest3023

Badges: (View All)
« Reply #180 on: August 05, 2018, 16:29:54 pm »

Agreed. With Jay Williams and Shay Facey as further options, we would be fine in that department I feel.

In honesty I don't think we need much tweaking to be a top 3 side based on yesterday. Lincoln were one of the best teams in the League last year and are heavily fancied this year. The difference between them and many in League One suggests that the drop in quality is significant.

I agree with this. When the ball got on the ground we out-played them. Crooks and O'Toole were on a different level to what they had. If the ref had been better and given even half the fouls against them that he should have then the performance would have looked even more dominant. Lincoln will be in and around the automatic spots this year so this should be encouraging.

As others have mentioned, I think some of the players tired quite badly in the second half. Hoskins in particular couldn't keep up the running he was doing in the 1st in the heat, this is why I was staggered Austin didn't make a third change, even to bring on some fresh legs for the last 15 minutes. Foley would have provided some energy and pushed forward with the ball in the middle and caused some problems.

The performance was more encouraging than not though IMO. Even watching the miss at the end by Williams again, he actually did well to take it on his chest and take it forward. Just that small clip makes me think he's got something about him. As you say, things need more of a tweak than any big changes. I'm optimistic of a promotion push this year.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2677

« Reply #181 on: August 05, 2018, 16:59:10 pm »

To defend Taylor as he seems to be getting some undue stick.
No idea if he wants the leave, and i saw nothing of him supposedly berating Powell for missing, but...
The challenge from the Lincoln striker which caused him to lose it was bang out of order, i thought he did well to keep himself as composed as he did.
The ball across from Eardley for their goal was in the air for a long time. Taylor was caught out of position, no denying that, but he was suggesting that Dolphin should have come across one and tried to put a challenge in, and it seemed that me being very close to where I stand that he could have done. Also, having heard Dolphins interview on Numpty post match he doesn't sound like the sort of kid who's easily cowed and will give as good as he gets. An asset then.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #182 on: August 05, 2018, 20:34:04 pm »

..........................Would swap Taylor for a decent winger.

I would not ................def keep Tayor but also definitely need a winger or two.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #183 on: August 05, 2018, 20:49:07 pm »

To defend Taylor as he seems to be getting some undue stick.
No idea if he wants the leave, and i saw nothing of him supposedly berating Powell for missing, but...
The challenge from the Lincoln striker which caused him to lose it was bang out of order, i thought he did well to keep himself as composed as he did.
The ball across from Eardley for their goal was in the air for a long time. Taylor was caught out of position, no denying that, but he was suggesting that Dolphin should have come across one and tried to put a challenge in, and it seemed that me being very close to where I stand that he could have done. Also, having heard Dolphins interview on Numpty post match he doesn't sound like the sort of kid who's easily cowed and will give as good as he gets. An asset then.

Well said CJ, Taylor was our main man last year. As for the challenge on Taylor by Green? was to me over hyped by Taylor and did not warrant his over reaction. After Powells staggering miss he did have words with him ; it might have been a rollicking(deserved) or on reflection just as likely ' keep yr pecker up son and keep on going '. Like most havent a clue. People with a problem on Taylor will of course say the former as its forms part of their justification. When you say Dolphin do you mean Odoffin - good one!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 21:36:35 pm by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
corno_ntfc

View Profile
Search Level 6 Linux User
« Reply #184 on: August 06, 2018, 05:13:42 am »

When the ball got on the ground we out-played them. Crooks and O'Toole were on a different level to what they had.

If the ref had been better and given even half the fouls against them that he should have then the performance would have looked even more dominant.

Not what league 2 is about though it is.

It's physical and ugly, with often incompetent officials.
Report Spam   Logged

Football WITHOUT Fans is NOTHING
defender

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 06, 2018, 06:22:11 am »

For me I think we need to get more like an IAN ATKINS SIDE. ie As tight as a drum.
Report Spam   Logged
guest170

« Reply #186 on: August 06, 2018, 06:31:32 am »

I think Powell's ability was summed up in the first 5 minutes when he jumped under the ball when he had no one within 10 yards of him like a 4 year old trying to head the ball.
Most of our chances, and all 3 one on ones, came from either long balls or unforced errors by Lincoln. We have no attacking flair and very little creativity. Crooks and JJOT will be a level above all this year (assuming we keep Crooks) but they have no one to pass it too.
Difficult to really judge Williams as the system didn't really suit him.
Should have made the second change 10 mins earlier as clearly something needed to be done. I think we will struggle to make the play offs until we can find someone who can score or assist.
Report Spam   Logged
Parklands Cobbler

View Profile
Level 5 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #187 on: August 06, 2018, 06:49:25 am »

Spot on Uni Cobbler especially your comment on Powell.What a poor player he is, we are going nowhere whist he is in the team.
Report Spam   Logged
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #188 on: August 06, 2018, 08:26:17 am »

Taken a bit of time to reflect before I posted after the game but I think I can summarise as follows:

1) League 2 football is a major step down in quality on league 1
2) We massively lack quality at the top of the pitch and out wide. Even when we were rock bottom just before CW arrived we had Chris Hackett who could reliably beat a man and cross a ball.
3) Midfielders (McWilliams, O'Toole & Crooks) all look like serious players in this league.
4) As a team we are still as brittle as we were last season. A team of serial losers take as a long time to turn in to serial winners.

Last point - I am very surprised that nobody has called out Buchanan for failing to stop the cross that lead to the goal.
Report Spam   Logged
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #189 on: August 06, 2018, 08:40:53 am »

For the goal Buchs was exposed a bit by whoever was on the left wing at the time (presumably Powell) not tracking back/closing down. My concern if we don’t recruit any out and out wingers/wide midfielders is that the opposition are going to set up against us like Lincoln did - narrow with men behind the ball inviting us to break them down.
Report Spam   Logged
threeinabed

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #190 on: August 06, 2018, 08:43:25 am »

Last point - I am very surprised that nobody has called out Buchanan for failing to stop the cross that lead to the goal.

sammo did on the radio.

2 defenders had 1 job each...........DB to stop the cross (he didn't) and Taylor to be touch tight to Green (he wasn't).

Report Spam   Logged
lordjord

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #191 on: August 06, 2018, 08:44:28 am »

Not sure if it has been mentioned in previous posts but we could do with someone else taking the set pieces also. I dont think Hoskins set piece delivery is going to be up to it over the course of a season in the same way someone like Byrom could consistently deliver.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #192 on: August 06, 2018, 08:44:57 am »

The players we have should be good enough to compete in this league .
However , certain things need to be resolved.
Austin and Van Veen need to settle their differences because Van Veen should be starting in this team and is capable of 20 goals in this division. This stand off is not going to work .
If Crooks is going to go , as I think he will , then we have to find creativity from somewhere before deadline day / loan day .
Left back is a worry to me . Does Turnbull deserve a run there . He is a highly paid player at the club and should be contributing more than sitting on the bench .
We need a wide player on loan . Foley , Bridge and Bowditch are weak players and should be only anywhere near the first team in desperation .
McWilliams injury may well mean he will stay for a while longer .
All should become clearer after Thursday but it needs to settle down .
Report Spam   Logged
Mathius

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 06, 2018, 10:08:29 am »

Agree with Boot and Shoe. Crooks will go if an acceptable offer is made. DA said the other week that he has replacements in mind, if we lose anyone. Let's hope it's a good one. If it's Huddersfield, hope we get some decent money as well.

For me, Saturday suggests we want KVV out the door. Imagine being sat on the bench when we need a goal and not being used. Same goes for BW but I would keep him.

Don't agree about Foley though as he's been played wide out of position. Would have used him Saturday as a direct replacement for McWilliams.

We do seem to have a lot of players on good money that is making it hard to get them out of the door. KVV, Coddington and Kasim to name but 3. The later 2 seem prepared to sit out their contracts for another year when they've been given the opportunity to leave for free. I would rather play for less money than waste what amounts to a short career on the sidelines - or in Kasim's case, at home.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #194 on: August 06, 2018, 10:25:42 am »

Agree with Boot and Shoe. Crooks will go if an acceptable offer is made. DA said the other week that he has replacements in mind, if we lose anyone. Let's hope it's a good one. If it's Huddersfield, hope we get some decent money as well.

For me, Saturday suggests we want KVV out the door. Imagine being sat on the bench when we need a goal and not being used. Same goes for BW but I would keep him.

Don't agree about Foley though as he's been played wide out of position. Would have used him Saturday as a direct replacement for McWilliams.

We do seem to have a lot of players on good money that is making it hard to get them out of the door. KVV, Coddington and Kasim to name but 3. The later 2 seem prepared to sit out their contracts for another year when they've been given the opportunity to leave for free. I would rather play for less money than waste what amounts to a short career on the sidelines - or in Kasim's case, at home.
This is definitely the problem . We undoubtably want to move players on but their money will not be matched elsewhere and in some cases the fee will not be met .
In the meantime , we are left with players that are neither in or out . The quicker this is resolved the better. These players either have to play and a line is drawn under everything from the past or just leave .
Report Spam   Logged
just.reading

View Profile
Search 1000 Posts Windows User
« Reply #195 on: August 06, 2018, 10:29:05 am »

Crooks to Premier League Huddersfield?  Huh?
Report Spam   Logged
guest3230

« Reply #196 on: August 06, 2018, 10:50:20 am »

He used to be at Huddersfield. Poster has got confused.
Report Spam   Logged
Gen.Disorda

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #197 on: August 06, 2018, 11:07:33 am »

I think we bossed the game and should have had it wrapped up in the 1st half.

The comments from the Lincoln fan regarding our support makes interesting reading, and I actually agree with most of it.

I believe the success of the championship winning campaign was as much to do with the togetherness of the team and the fans as it was to do with the quality on the pitch.

Report Spam   Logged

Mathius

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 06, 2018, 11:08:08 am »

Yeah Rotherham. Similiar neck of the woods.
Report Spam   Logged
1971cobbler

View Profile
Level 5 Search Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #199 on: August 06, 2018, 11:28:06 am »

The players we have should be good enough to compete in this league .
However , certain things need to be resolved.
Austin and Van Veen need to settle their differences because Van Veen should be starting in this team and is capable of 20 goals in this division. This stand off is not going to work .
If Crooks is going to go , as I think he will , then we have to find creativity from somewhere before deadline day / loan day .
Left back is a worry to me . Does Turnbull deserve a run there . He is a highly paid player at the club and should be contributing more than sitting on the bench .
We need a wide player on loan . Foley , Bridge and Bowditch are weak players and should be only anywhere near the first team in desperation .
McWilliams injury may well mean he will stay for a while longer .

All should become clearer after Thursday but it needs to settle down .

I heard yesterday that Forest were looking to loan out Gboly Ariyibi again this season. Worth a look?
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 11:33:46 am by 1971cobbler » Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: