The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 06:40:47 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Dean Austin

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 31   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dean Austin  (Read 37950 times)
guest2677

Badges: (View All)
« Reply #160 on: August 21, 2018, 21:40:15 pm »

Exactly this. I think it's hard to evaluate how good or otherwise Austin is as a manager with a group of players whose ineptitude has already resulted in at least 2 managers being sacked and a relegation. I'm not saying that he IS good enough to manage at this level just that the players are certainly not holding up their end of the deal and, unlike previous managers of ours, I actually do feel for the guy.
I wonder what was said at halftime. As Martin Smith said, there was no obvious reaction at all. Did Deano deflate rather then encourage?
We've faced some decent managers this season, Cowley, Bentley, Sheridan, Ainsworth.
Better than Deano at the job, or does the manager make little to no difference, as some suggest?
Report Spam   Logged
mr3teas

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 21, 2018, 21:47:54 pm »

Sack the recruitment bloke Andy Melville  he serves no purpose and has done nothing while he’s been employed here apart from bring lazy players in
Report Spam   Logged
guest48

« Reply #162 on: August 21, 2018, 23:03:45 pm »

Sack the recruitment bloke Andy Melville  he serves no purpose and has done nothing while he’s been employed here apart from bring lazy players in
Can't really argue with this.
Report Spam   Logged
defender

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 22, 2018, 07:12:53 am »

Can't really argue with this.
Van Veen?
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #164 on: August 22, 2018, 07:33:18 am »

We have committed to Austin as a club and the players also came out in favour of him .
You can’t just keep sacking managers constantly .
It’s not his fault he has been left with a bunch of mediocre players on long, hefty contracts.
JFH did things his own way and Austin had little say in matters .
Having said that , he may need to think about his demeanour which is very dour .
His signings also haven’t been great so far .
You can’t disagree , his overall record is poor but we have to stick with him .
The quality players simply aren’t performing and the weak players continue to be weak .
If we continue to play Buchanan , Hoskins ( on the wing ) , Bowditch and Powell we will struggle . None of them are good enough .
Report Spam   Logged
bri77

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: August 22, 2018, 07:40:46 am »

I really don't understand why people thought we would be amount to anything this season.

We have the most pathetic bunch of players possible (with a few exceptions) who were culpable for one of the most avoidable relegations we have had in years.
They have managed to get a succession of managers sacked due to their complete inability to play football to any decent level and yet some thought we would be in for a good season.

If we weren't coming off the back of two soul destroying years Austin wouldn't be under as much pressure and would be given time to turn things around but this season will follow the usual pattern and he will be gone by October. Leaving it up to someone else to try and polish the turds - unsuccessfully.

So bored of how pathetic we are from the development fiasco right down to the players. I was biding my time this season before I got into it but am dangerously close to the point of no return now.

Report Spam   Logged
Monty

View Profile
Windows User Apple User Combination
« Reply #166 on: August 22, 2018, 09:01:14 am »

We have committed to Austin as a club and the players also came out in favour of him .
You can’t just keep sacking managers constantly .
It’s not his fault he has been left with a bunch of mediocre players on long, hefty contracts.
JFH did things his own way and Austin had little say in matters .
Having said that , he may need to think about his demeanour which is very dour .
His signings also haven’t been great so far .
You can’t disagree , his overall record is poor but we have to stick with him .
The quality players simply aren’t performing and the weak players continue to be weak .
If we continue to play Buchanan , Hoskins ( on the wing ) , Bowditch and Powell we will struggle . None of them are good enough .
I'd agree with all of this. DA is a new manager and as such we will need a little patience with him. I still think that unless we are in serious jeopardy of losing our league status then he should be supported. I think we're just at jeopardy at the moment - If DA can learn from his mistakes (and I think your last line plus maybe the GK are a good summary of them) AND have the luck/skill to be able to do something about it by recruiting the correct players on loan then maybe the jeopardy doesn't get serious, and we have an improved manager on our hands. But if he can't/won't do that then we're back on the market for a manager again. But I think we as fans should shelve all the thoughts of promotion/play-offs and just concentrate on slow improvement, our football is of a better quality this season (which admittedly may be mainly down to the fact that the opposition isn't) so there is something to work on.
Report Spam   Logged

Hotel End Grand National Sweepstake Winner 2018, Fantasy Premier League Winner 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
Wolvo

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 22, 2018, 09:03:04 am »

I really don't understand why people thought we would be amount to anything this season.

Because our fans liked it when he clapped the fans after games.
Report Spam   Logged

Pink Army!
guest3114

« Reply #168 on: August 22, 2018, 09:05:11 am »

For what it’s worth I think we have a great squad and with a couple of additions it is more than capable of getting us promoted. However, that’s only playing 8 of them at anyone time. What we need is a quality centre back in the mold of Sammo or Dyche and please god a midfield general. In other words 2 standout experienced professionals who can lead on the pitch and in the changing room. Add to that a wide player who is real quality and capable of delivering consistent service and I believe this squad would storm the division. We are just missing some vital components and have been for a couple of seasons IMO.
Report Spam   Logged
Razor

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #169 on: August 22, 2018, 09:36:40 am »

For what it’s worth I think we have a great squad and with a couple of additions it is more than capable of getting us promoted.

What on earth do you think is great about it?

The consummate way they got us relegated?

The clinical ability to miss absolute sitters every week?

The knack of being able to concede a goal in almost any situation?

The inability to play football to any basic level?

This squad is absolutely f*cking awful. Where on earth has this myth come from that we have a 'great' squad?!?
Report Spam   Logged
Wolvo

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 22, 2018, 09:38:26 am »

Lol what a surprise, this thread should be merged with the development thread.
What sort of players and staff can we attract? We have a board not interested, a crap little ground with one side missing, public training facilities, no hospitality boxes, no ambition or direction, a club going through the motions on the cheap, with 4 managers in 3 years

If u were a decent player would u honestly choose NTFC to improve your career ?

If we were able to pay u another £200 per week but little chance of a advancement what does that say about u ?

A £10k annual salary payrise? I'd expect that would sway most players at this level (location dependent).
Report Spam   Logged

Pink Army!
guest168

« Reply #171 on: August 22, 2018, 09:45:06 am »

yeah washed up, underachieving, unambitious players, who in the main are more interested in an extra £10k than straining every muscle to be in a successful team

Anyone reckon we have any of these types of players??
Report Spam   Logged
bri77

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 22, 2018, 09:48:10 am »

Cornell - Has some good games but not good enough to be the number 1

Buchs - The Bunney fiasco made people forget that he was too slow and not good enough.
Taylor - Head on a stick, ask him to use his feet he goes to pot. An ever present that has overseen shambolic defending.
Barnett - Bang average and always a mistake in him
Facey - Flatters to deceive and was no better than BM at the end of last season

Crooks - The epitome of inconsistency.
Foley - When he has an average game because he's so bad usually it seems like he has become a good player
Hoskins - Has he improved one bit over the last 3 / 4 years?
Bowditch - Has he done anything at all (on the pitch) since he joined us?

Williams - Seasoned striker that hasn't hit the ground running
Van Veen - Finally seen some of what we were hoping for last year.

Powell - 10 invisible games then 1 decent one, doesn't use his attributes at all.
Morias - Can't comment yet
O Toole  - The only player I would be gutted to lose

The weaknesses are plain to see and yet there was so much optimism.
Report Spam   Logged
FezNTFC

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #173 on: August 22, 2018, 09:56:49 am »

There was a big clamour for Dean from the fanbase because he got the squad playing with a bit of passion towards the end of last season. Some could argue it was yet another new manager bounce similar to the start of JFH's reign.

Dean being the standout candidate is questionable because he has not yet been a league manager. The fact is he was the cheap option for KT to take and he leapt at the opportunity once the fans started backing the idea as well.

Now that choice is made though we as the fans have to give Dean the opportunity to learn his craft, which is made all the more difficult with the mentally weak players he has at his disposal. Whether he chose to try and improve them or was unable to bring in quality replacements is irrelevant now. This will not be an overnight turnaround because it's a question of changing the player's mentality rather than their ability, and there will be painful moments like last night along the way. I'm not sure though that the supporters have the patience required after two seasons of dross, which is also understandable.

Either we give Dean the time he needs (which could cost us depending on how quickly he learns) or if we continue to fail we bin off a lot of the players, which will be an expensive but in my view necessary action to stop us plummeting further.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2018, 09:58:35 am by FezNTFC » Report Spam   Logged
guest1269

« Reply #174 on: August 22, 2018, 10:10:08 am »

Lol what a surprise, this thread should be merged with the development thread.
What sort of players and staff can we attract? We have a board not interested, a crap little ground with one side missing, public training facilities, no hospitality boxes, no ambition or direction, a club going through the motions on the cheap, with 4 managers in 3 years

If u were a decent player would u honestly choose NTFC to improve your career ?

If we were able to pay u another £200 per week but little chance of a advancement what does that say about u ?

You can't help yourself can you - last night we were outclassed by a team with no support, form rating of zero and none of the stadium infrastructure we all would like to aspire too - they beat us because they worked harder, were better organized and frankly wanted it more than we did - our performance last night was the square root of FA to lack of development.   
Report Spam   Logged
guest1269

« Reply #175 on: August 22, 2018, 10:34:47 am »

Buchs - The Bunney fiasco made people forget that he was too slow and not good enough.
Taylor - Head on a stick, ask him to use his feet he goes to pot. An ever present that has overseen shambolic defending.

Foley - When he has an average game because he's so bad usually it seems like he has become a good player

Powell - 10 invisible games then 1 decent one, doesn't use his attributes at all.

A little harsh on Facey and I still feel as part of a decent side Buchs can do a job at this level - other than that pretty much agree and the point being this is essentially the team that got us relegated with multiple gutless performances. Morias looks to be chomping at the bit and could be gem because unlike traditional strikers he appears to be prepared to go and get the ball rather than wait for the non existent service from the flanks. I love Hoskin's work rate but now have to concede his ability is simply not at this level. For me I would start to root and branch clear out by saying Powell and Bowditch should never again appear on the team sheet 

On paper it's a depressing line up and no one should say we are too good to not go down.

I feel for DA because I think he has the difficult task of polishing a turd but probably down to his slightly more creative tactics at least we are creating chances -  with the current squad I see no higher than a 17th position which is truly embarrassing.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3023

« Reply #176 on: August 22, 2018, 10:40:04 am »

I agree with what you say about Buchanan, Cornell and Powell, none should be near the team, possibly even in the 22. Hoskins, Bowditch and Barnett should be second string, but Bowditch and Hoskins can do a job off the bench in certain situations. To be fair to them, both set up chances for Crooks last night with clever passes.

Regarding Crooks, I disagree that he is inconsistent, I find him to perform consistently very well but then he will make a silly mistake/miss a sitter every other game which makes him one of the most frustrating players to watch. His overall play though is different class at this level.

Disagree about Foley also, I think he's decent. He was not average on Saturday, he was excellent.

VV is quality at this level. I also like Williams, it's just that he's not getting the service he deserves.

Facey is excellent. This was his first start in the league and he had a decent game, got forward and put some good balls into the box also.

McWilliams, O'Toole, Foley, Crooks, Van Veen, Williams, Morais, Facey, Pierre and Taylor are good enough to play for a top 7 team at this level IMO.

Odoffin, Turnbull, Hoskins, Bowditch and Waters are fine as second string players.

Haven't seen Ward yet to comment.

The rest are probably not good enough. Barnett average, Buchanan too slow, Cornell not good enough, Powell gutless. Haven't decided on Bridge but so far look like he belongs in this group.
Report Spam   Logged
bri77

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 22, 2018, 10:41:38 am »

One of the things that is so frustrating is that every season when we have a mass turnover of players we are always fed the 'time to gel' line.
So the one season we don't have a large player turnover we end up with the same turds that have stopped me going for the first time in nearly 30 years.
Report Spam   Logged
bri77

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 22, 2018, 10:47:00 am »

I agree with what you say about Buchanan, Cornell and Powell, none should be near the team, possibly even in the 22. Hoskins, Bowditch and Barnett should be second string, but Bowditch and Hoskins can do a job off the bench in certain situations. To be fair to them, both set up chances for Crooks last night with clever passes.

Regarding Crooks, I disagree that he is inconsistent, I find him to perform consistently very well but then he will make a silly mistake/miss a sitter every other game which makes him one of the most frustrating players to watch. His overall play though is different class at this level.

Disagree about Foley also, I think he's decent. He was not average on Saturday, he was excellent.

VV is quality at this level. I also like Williams, it's just that he's not getting the service he deserves.

Facey is excellent. This was his first start in the league and he had a decent game, got forward and put some good balls into the box also.

McWilliams, O'Toole, Foley, Crooks, Van Veen, Williams, Morais, Facey, Pierre and Taylor are good enough to play for a top 7 team at this level IMO.

Odoffin, Turnbull, Hoskins, Bowditch and Waters are fine as second string players.

Haven't seen Ward yet to comment.

The rest are probably not good enough. Barnett average, Buchanan too slow, Cornell not good enough, Powell gutless. Haven't decided on Bridge but so far look like he belongs in this group.

I wish I could share your belief in some of those players to be top 7 as I just can't see it. (I didn't include Mcwilliams as I only went on those that played last night, he is clearly one I could be positive about(
I wouldn't get shot of Crooks or anything and your frustrating remark is exactly it, he should be so much better than he shows though.
I wouldn't have Foley anywhere near the team as I don't think he adds anything at all.
Report Spam   Logged
guest168

« Reply #179 on: August 22, 2018, 11:02:48 am »

LOL someone starting to get annoyed??  Funny how you don't like it when i question how you support the team yet you think it's ok to have digs at me every time

So CW when you are driving 350 miles home or do you use helicopter?  what do you think about re NTFC?

Why the hell do you spend all that time and money? U really don't have anything better to do? 

I would say that makes you a complete idiot - but I won't as i have more respect for you than that  Grin

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 31   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: