The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 23:09:08 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Dean Austin

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... 31   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dean Austin  (Read 37922 times)
Manwork04

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #340 on: September 08, 2018, 19:52:28 pm »

Lose at Vale and he's gone.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
super-si

View Profile
500 Posts Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #341 on: September 08, 2018, 21:22:23 pm »

Dean Austin is a player’s manager. If he can’t get this lot
motivated, who will? Forget getting someone else in and stick with him....whatever! This club and the players needs some stability!
Report Spam   Logged
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #342 on: September 08, 2018, 21:28:15 pm »

Isn't it a moot point - KT's not going to sack Austin when he's put the club up for sale, why would he pay out his contract when he's looking to get shot of the club?
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #343 on: September 08, 2018, 21:42:47 pm »

Isn't it a moot point - KT's not going to sack Austin when he's put the club up for sale, why would he pay out his contract when he's looking to get shot of the club?

As I said last week, there’s just nothing happening on or off the pitch...nothing from the players, management, board or even the supporters, the vast majority of whom seem to accept the mediocrity.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2018, 22:17:07 pm by GrangeParkCobbler » Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
WadeyCobbler

View Profile
Mobile User Windows User Combination
« Reply #344 on: September 08, 2018, 21:49:10 pm »

Must admit have some grave doubts on DA. Thought that Facey had a poor game. Recall Turnbull and Barnet! JJOT looks shot. Lost £10  on vV at 33/1 for hat trick!Thks WadeyCobbler 😎

Apologies for the betting tips  Huh?
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #345 on: September 08, 2018, 22:12:06 pm »

As I said last week, there’s just nothing happening on or off the pitch...nothing from the players, management, board or Ben the supporters, the vast majority of whom seem to accept the mediocrity.
I would accept mediocrity at the minute because it would be a step up from being poor .
We are going backwards fast .
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #346 on: September 08, 2018, 22:18:17 pm »

Apologies for the betting tips  Huh?

Was joking Wadey - keep the tips coming tho' - faint heart.............................etc Cool
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
guest2677

« Reply #347 on: September 08, 2018, 22:25:02 pm »

As I said last week, there’s just nothing happening on or off the pitch...nothing from the players, management, board or even the supporters, the vast majority of whom seem to accept the mediocrity.
It's not been asked or explained on here...why has all the advertising hording disappeared on the east?
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #348 on: September 08, 2018, 22:35:32 pm »

It's not been asked or explained on here...why has all the advertising hording disappeared on the east?

Maybe none of the advertisers wanted to be associated with that carbuncle any more!
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
southeastcobbler

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #349 on: September 09, 2018, 00:14:07 am »

I’ve posted this on Facebook, but wanted to share my thoughts here too..

I thought Dean Austin’s post match interview on BBC Northampton was incredible unprofessional & poor, and actually showed how inexperienced Austin is. He sounded uninterested, he was blaming the players for not following his instruction.. which yes they should do as he says but the fact they are not shows they have a lack of trust & understanding of Austin’s tactics which for me is a major flaw. Ultimately the blame does falls at the door of Kelvin.. I rate him as a chairman for what he has done for he club however his managerial recruitment has been questionable. When Wilder left, he made such a mistake bringing in Page. When with the position we were, going up as champions we should of been in the strongest position to attract a quality manager to take us forward when now we are back we’re we started and needing our 6th manager in 2 & a bit years. The squad we have, is a good squad but with Austin in charge he is unable to get the best out of them. It’s time for him to move on in my opinion and let’s actually go and get a football man in who is a proven manager in L2!!
Report Spam   Logged

** 31 UNDEFEATED **
WWWWWWWWWWDDWDWWDDDDWDWWDDDDDWW
defender

View Profile
« Reply #350 on: September 09, 2018, 08:00:53 am »

I thought Dean Austin’s post match interview on BBC Northampton was incredible unprofessional & poor, and actually showed how inexperienced Austin is. He sounded uninterested, he was blaming the players for not following his instruction.. which yes they should do as he says but the fact they are not shows they have a lack of trust & understanding of Austin’s tactics which for me is a major flaw. Ultimately the blame does falls at the door of Kelvin.. I rate him as a chairman for what he has done for he club however his managerial recruitment has been questionable. When Wilder left, he made such a mistake bringing in Page. When with the position we were, going up as champions we should of been in the strongest position to attract a quality manager to take us forward when now we are back we’re we started and needing our 6th manager in 2 & a bit years. The squad we have, is a good squad but with Austin in charge he is unable to get the best out of them. It’s time for him to move on in my opinion and let’s actually go and get a football man in who is a proven manager in L2!!
               AGREED!
Report Spam   Logged
Vintage Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: September 09, 2018, 08:25:56 am »

I reckon opinion is divided about DA but on any analysis he is not doing well and his future has to be in the balance. If KT was not trying to sell the club and was committed to a future here I think DA would be history after yesterday's shambles.  Sooner or later we will have new owners and maybe the new broom will sweep clean immediately.  But even if a sale doesn't take place in the next month or so DA's job will be on the line if results continue to be so poor.  Some are saying he inherited a poor squad of disinterested players and that may be true in several cases but he had the summer months to change the squad and he chose not to and that has to be his responsibility. 

A week ago I thought that DA should be given more time but yesterday was dismal and I think he is running out of road.  This season will soon be a lost cause and based on yesterday we look to be a side with a relegation battle ahead. That is completely unacceptable. Port Vale is very important for DA.
Report Spam   Logged
Madrid Cobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #352 on: September 09, 2018, 10:05:10 am »

Ultimately the blame does falls at the door of Kelvin.. I rate him as a chairman for what he has done for he club however his managerial recruitment has been questionable. When Wilder left, he made such a mistake bringing in Page. When with the position we were, going up as champions we should of been in the strongest position to attract a quality manager to take us forward when now we are back we’re we started and needing our 6th manager in 2 & a bit years. The squad we have, is a good squad but with Austin in charge he is unable to get the best out of them. It’s time for him to move on in my opinion and let’s actually go and get a football man in who is a proven manager in L2!!

Sorry, pressed the post button before writing last time. Don't agree with this. Rob Page failed, but on paper was a decent appointment, having done a decent job with a League 1 club the previous year. The chairman started by going down the tried and tested road and it didn't work and now he's trying a new manager based on a positive end to last season and an apparent improvement in our play. Most people were happy with both choices, as well as those of JED and JFH. It's not working at the moment, but the chairman does not have a crystal ball and football is not an exact science. On paper all of his appointments have been justifiable, but they haven't worked out. Of course he is ultimately responsible because his managers have underperformed but I think he's tried hard and clearly does his homework before choosing a manager and you can't really ask for more.

Don't agree with
Report Spam   Logged
Madrid Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: September 09, 2018, 10:19:15 am »

I want us to stick with DA and still hope he can be a success but he's running out of time to get results and the pressure is definitely on.

Reasons for keeping DA:

Better "brand" of attacking football. More enjoyable to watch and potentially successful if we convert our chances.
David Buchnnan (a player who has been with all our managers since CW) stated openly in an interview yesterday that DA is the best manager to work with since CW. IMHO this is an important comment from an excellent and honest professional.
He knows the players.

Reasons for doubting DA

Repeated poor defensive mistakes
Talking as if the team were superstars before they are producing results (vV, Crooks, Williams). This can create arrogance and complacency.
Insisting the team must always be "up for it" but apparently not being able to make this happen with some players.

Report Spam   Logged
Wolvo

View Profile
« Reply #354 on: September 09, 2018, 10:33:00 am »

I want us to stick with DA and still hope he can be a success but he's running out of time to get results and the pressure is definitely on.

Reasons for keeping DA:

Better "brand" of attacking football. More enjoyable to watch and potentially successful if we convert our chances.
David Buchnnan (a player who has been with all our managers since CW) stated openly in an interview yesterday that DA is the best manager to work with since CW. IMHO this is an important comment from an excellent and honest professional.
He knows the players.

Reasons for doubting DA

Repeated poor defensive mistakes
Talking as if the team were superstars before they are producing results (vV, Crooks, Williams). This can create arrogance and complacency.
Insisting the team must always be "up for it" but apparently not being able to make this happen with some players.

Buchanan would say that. JFH recognised he weren't up to it any more and Austin has given him his position back.
Report Spam   Logged

Pink Army!
Its_nice_to_michu

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #355 on: September 09, 2018, 10:44:15 am »

isn't Michael Appleton currently out of work.....  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Robas

View Profile
100 Posts Poll Voter Sixth year Anniversary
« Reply #356 on: September 09, 2018, 11:06:47 am »

I'm certainly not one calling for the dismissal of Austin. For me he still has plenty of time to turn this round. He has never been in charge of a team before and therefore we do, I feel, have to accept that there will be a certain element of him "learning on the job".

This is his first mini-crisis. How he deals with this is very important. Is it the set up of the team, flexibility of tactics during the game, players not doing their job or just a lack of the right talent in the squad?  At the moment he can really only do something about the first three of these.

The defence is what it is. He does have some options who may not be much better, but if those in possession are not doing their job then changes have to be made. It may upset a few, but in management that has to be done. What is the point of Barnett, Turnbull etc if they just never play a league game. Or perhaps throw in one or two of our promising youngsters to shake any hint of complacency in the squad. [Also, as an aside, wouldn't Moloney or Phillips walk in to this team?]

I do not like the current midfield set-up. My preference, now he is fit is McWilliams and Foley in the centre. I'm ok with Hoskins wide midfield, he tracks back and puts an effort in. He frustrates at time, but Hoskins certainly is not the problem. Bridge looks a bit lightweight, but with current injuries the only other option seems to be Waters (who I would give a go) or even Bowditch. Also the midfield does not seem to properly set up as a bank of four when the opposition has the ball. This allows them to progress forward far too easily and makes the defence look even worse.

I have not mentioned Crooks, because to me he should be used to his strength - which is as an attacking player running at the opposition defence. He is a real talent, but not picking the ball up in front of the back four as a central midfielder. Use him more as an attacker, in an old style JJOT role. [JJOT looks to be struggling with his fitness at the moment so I discount him as a starter until this is resolved, same with Morias, who I rate].

Playing one up front, particularly at home, will not work if the opposition pick up your midfielders (as Cheltenham did yesterday), which is part of the reason why there were so may passes backwards yesterday followed, inevitably, by a punt long or, more often a forward pass to no-one.

Finally, substitutions change games. Austin was unlucky yesterday with the Powell injury, but the withdrawal of Foley was tactical madness. Adding McWiliams to centre midfield and putting Crooks forward was, to me, a more rational move.

Good luck to Austin, I wish him well....but only if really lets players know if they have not done their job and he learns from his mistakes. 
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 11:08:45 am by Robas » Report Spam   Logged
JollyCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: September 09, 2018, 11:47:11 am »

I'm certainly not one calling for the dismissal of Austin. For me he still has plenty of time to turn this round. He has never been in charge of a team before and therefore we do, I feel, have to accept that there will be a certain element of him "learning on the job".

This is his first mini-crisis. How he deals with this is very important. Is it the set up of the team, flexibility of tactics during the game, players not doing their job or just a lack of the right talent in the squad?  At the moment he can really only do something about the first three of these.

The defence is what it is. He does have some options who may not be much better, but if those in possession are not doing their job then changes have to be made. It may upset a few, but in management that has to be done. What is the point of Barnett, Turnbull etc if they just never play a league game. Or perhaps throw in one or two of our promising youngsters to shake any hint of complacency in the squad. [Also, as an aside, wouldn't Moloney or Phillips walk in to this team?]

I do not like the current midfield set-up. My preference, now he is fit is McWilliams and Foley in the centre. I'm ok with Hoskins wide midfield, he tracks back and puts an effort in. He frustrates at time, but Hoskins certainly is not the problem. Bridge looks a bit lightweight, but with current injuries the only other option seems to be Waters (who I would give a go) or even Bowditch. Also the midfield does not seem to properly set up as a bank of four when the opposition has the ball. This allows them to progress forward far too easily and makes the defence look even worse.

I have not mentioned Crooks, because to me he should be used to his strength - which is as an attacking player running at the opposition defence. He is a real talent, but not picking the ball up in front of the back four as a central midfielder. Use him more as an attacker, in an old style JJOT role. [JJOT looks to be struggling with his fitness at the moment so I discount him as a starter until this is resolved, same with Morias, who I rate].

Playing one up front, particularly at home, will not work if the opposition pick up your midfielders (as Cheltenham did yesterday), which is part of the reason why there were so may passes backwards yesterday followed, inevitably, by a punt long or, more often a forward pass to no-one.

Finally, substitutions change games. Austin was unlucky yesterday with the Powell injury, but the withdrawal of Foley was tactical madness. Adding McWiliams to centre midfield and putting Crooks forward was, to me, a more rational move.

Good luck to Austin, I wish him well....but only if really lets players know if they have not done their job and he learns from his mistakes. 

Good post. Difficult to disagree with any of this. With regards DA, as I said on another post, he is a new manager trying to play an expansive game, and I would hope he is given time to develop his managerial skills. Unless we are deep in the mire, I would stick with him.
It is also worth considering that we don't know if his hands were tied during the transfer window. We have a lot of dross eating up the budget, players who couldn't (wouldn't?) be offloaded. This could be one reason why the issue of wide players wasn't addressed.
Report Spam   Logged
Clarity

View Profile
1000 Posts Fifth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #358 on: September 09, 2018, 11:57:02 am »

Good post and bang on with the Foley substitution.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #359 on: September 09, 2018, 12:09:12 pm »

In hindsight taking Foley off was a mistake. The midfield wasn't the problem, Foley and Crooks were doing ok. Hoskins should also have stayed up front when Powell went off and instead of Williams it should have been Waters slotting in at right midfield. But hindsight is a wonderful thing.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... 31   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: