The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 15:19:52 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Carlisle United away

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Carlisle United away  (Read 12538 times)
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #180 on: August 11, 2018, 21:53:42 pm »

Everyone is odd in there own way, you are odd to me. I don't hold it against you though.

Frank is that you  -  Frank ,  Frank is that you?
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Ron Obvious

Suffer well.

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 11, 2018, 22:01:55 pm »

Frank is that you  -  Frank ,  Frank is that you?

Frank no longer exists.

Let's here what you thought of the game.
Report Spam   Logged

Breathing will help you live.
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #182 on: August 11, 2018, 22:30:40 pm »

His assessments of us were pretty much spot on last year imo

How would you know you saw very few games last season?
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
corno_ntfc

View Profile
Search Level 6 Linux User
« Reply #183 on: August 11, 2018, 22:45:38 pm »

Well today was everything that I love and hate about the Cobblers.

First half - we were pretty abject until we scored. Infact I feared the worst when we went 1-0 down with chants of “what the fxxxng hell is this?” Our equaliser was well worked by Williams’s and a first goal for Van Veen to hopefully kick start his Cobblers career. The first half whistle came too soon as we started to impose ourselves after the equaliser with confidence returning.

Second half - started really well, played some great stuff and fully deserved our goal. The equaliser was the typical “most vulnerable after you score” situation where we switched off.

However from this point what frustrated me most was Dean Austin making those substitutions. Bowditch for Powell was baffling as we had been completely on top and a substitution definitely wasn’t needed. The goal we conceded was a sucker punch and he should of left the players to see if they could respond, taking Powell off when he had been getting some joy down the left made no sense (as a side note, Bowditch looks a better footballer at this level than at league one but he certainly is no wide player). What made less sense was taking Williams off for Billy Waters. I like Billy but in the second half Williams and Van Veen complimented each other well and held up, distributed, headed on and moved well in equal measure. Waters did precisely nothing.

As a result of the equaliser but more (in my opinion) down the substitutions disrupting the team direction, we lost our way and despite a few half chances, Carlisle looked like they would snatch an unlikely winner. However everyone sees the game differently - whilst walking to my car, I heard some Carlisle fans saying “that was 2 points dropped”! Overall, I think a draw was a fair result based on both teams having solid periods on top.

Going through the team, Cornell was OK - nothing more nothing less, I can’t see him winning is many points and worryingly I can see him costing us points. Surely can’t be the number one?

Odoffin - terrible. I don’t rate him at all. Poor positioning, poor distribution, no great surprise that Carlisle targeted that side consistently. Need Facey back ASAP!

Taylor - a rock, wins almost everything in the air, a leader, passionate. Yes, he doesn’t have the best distribution and has limited pace but I hope he remains with us for the rest of his career. A great lower division player.

Pierre - a poor mans Taylor, just without the passion but a little more pace.

Buchs - solid. A lot goes through him and he has a steadiness to him and the back line.

Hoskins - really didn’t see much of the ball, got in a few times around the back. Problem was that when we lack confidence and have our backs to the game, we tend to send diagonal balls to him which he’ll never win due to his size. I would question if Bowditch may play a more effective role on this side, particularly away from home when we need someone who can hold the ball and play in from the flanks.

Powell - had a good early chance that he steered wide, played well when the team played well. As above, shocked he was taken off.

Crookes - as we know, a massively frustrating player to watch. Looks disinterested so much of the time but has natural ability. Needs someone very industrious next to him to allow him freedom - JJ is not that man.

JJOT - I love the guy but a rigid centre mid position is not his role, particularly with someone like Crookes along side him. Distributed the ball well but rarely able to get forward to be effective.

Williams - was really impressed with him. Good work rate, has the ability to beat a man and will certainly score goals this season. Again, ridiculous decision to sub him for the ineffective Waters.

Van Veen - Star Man - was excellent, everything people said he wasn’t. Worked hard for the team, chased things down, held the ball well, ran with it, created chances. Led by example. Really massively impressed and I have changed my opinion on him. Took his goal well.

Spot on ratings... aside from I'd not have vV as star man, just purely on reluctance to compete in the air... did he jump once today?

442 did not work. A better side would have punished us, Carlisle were poor, and capitalised on 2 decent strikes.
Report Spam   Logged

Football WITHOUT Fans is NOTHING
Patmore

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 11, 2018, 23:02:31 pm »

He was credited with a save for the one that hit the post I think. Martin Smith was pretty positive about him on the wireless and didn’t lay any fault with him for the goals.

I remain unconvinced by Cornell but I don’t think he’s harmed himself (or us) yet this season.

Got to disagree with MS on this one. Look closely at the highlights, the camera angles are not helpful but if you look where the ball hits the net and also look at Cornell’s starting positions he is clearly at fault.

First is a shot from slight left of centre about 25 yards out, his starting position is five yards off his line. He dives fully across the goal to that side landing beyond the post (but dives under the ball) while the ball hits nearly in the middle of the goal. How the f@ck does that happen? If it is coming from his right and heading towards the middle of the goal, why on earth would he make a full length dive from the middle of the goal to his right? He effectively dives out of the way of the shot.

For the second the fella takes it early but it is hit from outside the box, not that cleanly struck and is easily a yard inside the post. This time Cornell is about 8 yards off his line. Is this the problem? Effectively turns a shot from eighteen yards into a shot from ten and so just beats him for pace? Even then it has not got that much pace on it.

I know very little about goalkeeping but I’m pretty sure if he is on his line he makes two comfortable saves.

Piss poor and the irony is he gets away with it because by getting nowhere near the ball, bizarrely, it makes it look less of an obvious error.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2677

« Reply #185 on: August 11, 2018, 23:04:19 pm »

Spot on ratings... aside from I'd not have vV as star man, just purely on reluctance to compete in the air... did he jump once today?

442 did not work. A better side would have punished us, Carlisle were poor, and capitalised on 2 decent strikes.
Wasn't there, but the big new prinz jumped at least once today...for our equaliser and a well directed header. I've just seen the highlights.
He's not appreciated. Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
guest2677

« Reply #186 on: August 11, 2018, 23:07:19 pm »

Got to disagree with MS on this one. Look closely at the highlights, the camera angles are not helpful but if you look where the ball hits the net and also look at Cornell’s starting positions he is clearly at fault.

First is a shot from slight left of centre about 25 yards out, his starting position is five yards off his line. He dives fully across the goal to that side landing beyond the post (but dives under the ball) while the ball hits nearly in the middle of the goal. How the f@ck does that happen? If it is coming from his right and heading towards the middle of the goal, why on earth would he make a full length dive from the middle of the goal to his right? He effectively dives out of the way of the shot.

For the second the fella takes it early but it is hit from outside the box, not that cleanly struck and is easily a yard inside the post. This time Cornell is about 8 yards off his line. Is this the problem? Effectively turns a shot from eighteen yards into a shot from ten and so just beats him for pace? Even then it has not got that much pace on it.

I know very little about goalkeeping but I’m pretty sure if he is on his line he makes two comfortable saves.

**** poor and the irony is he gets away with it because by getting nowhere near the ball, bizarrely, it makes it look less of an obvious error.
I've only seen the goals on Quest in real time, but if you think Cornell is at fault for those two goals you've obviously no fcuking clue.
Goodnight.
Report Spam   Logged
corno_ntfc

View Profile
Search Level 6 Linux User
« Reply #187 on: August 11, 2018, 23:09:45 pm »

Wasn't there, but the big new prinz jumped at least once today...for our equaliser and a well directed header. I've just seen the highlights.
He's not appreciated. Smiley

We has appreciated today, him and Williams did well together, just when the ball got lumped forward (as it often did) vV had no desire to challenge.

Based on his interview, look forward to at least another 19 goals from him this season!
Report Spam   Logged

Football WITHOUT Fans is NOTHING
Patmore

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 11, 2018, 23:47:30 pm »

I've only seen the goals on Quest in real time, but if you think Cornell is at fault for those two goals you've obviously no fcuking clue.
Goodnight.

See what I mean. So s***e he gets away with it, even with someone as clued up as errr... cj

If he’s on his line they’re both comfortable saves.
Report Spam   Logged
defender

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 12, 2018, 06:03:08 am »

Good morning all, Well this turned out better than I thought it would, I thought Carlisle would beet us. So not a bad start,a point  away from home on day one. Well done everyone
Report Spam   Logged
The Rauldinho

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #190 on: August 12, 2018, 06:51:55 am »

Hope people don't give Ward the same stick Cornell gets if he lets a goal in.

I get that he has made some mistakes previous, but I cannot see in the three goals we have conceded this season how they are his fault.

Report Spam   Logged
Alfred

View Profile
Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #191 on: August 12, 2018, 07:18:08 am »

Odfin is the new Rod McDonald  ....

Cornell dosnt do much wrong but dosnt make "saves"

Jjot looks a broken man,  seems to have lost his nasty side

The rest are pretty much dame old same old

We are a team that is very fragile and needs a proper captain in CM to bring it back to life.,  along with Ward, Facey and McWilliams
Report Spam   Logged
EssTeeFree

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 12, 2018, 07:52:50 am »

**** poor and the irony is he gets away with it because by getting nowhere near the ball, bizarrely, it makes it look less of an obvious error.

Understand where you’re coming from but a keeper would simply never be on his line when the ball is that far away, you’d make the goal too big. I’ll watch the goals a few more times but my take on them is that they’d have been pretty special saves if he’d pulled them off, they’re certainly not errors.

I don’t believe that he should be our number 1 at all. I do, however, think that some have such a downer on him that every goal we concede willl be seen as his fault. Defence were far more culpable yesterday, especially for the second. For the first we needed someone (Taylor?) to take the situation of a player being off the pitch by the scruff of the neck to ensure our defensive formation was retained, the guy wouldn’t have had all that space. Hopefully a blip and not an indication of poor leadership.
Report Spam   Logged
West Stand

View Profile
500 Posts Search Combination
« Reply #193 on: August 12, 2018, 08:08:49 am »

What a cheerful bunch of people.
Report Spam   Logged
Dan

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #194 on: August 12, 2018, 08:13:16 am »

Think you'll need to forgive people who travel 240 odd miles each way if they're not overly impressed with what we saw yesterday  Grin I'll give you a positive though. Van Veen will be starting every week and rightly so based on yesterday. He was excellent.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2013
The Rauldinho

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #195 on: August 12, 2018, 08:20:21 am »

Think you'll need to forgive people who travel 240 odd miles each way if they're not overly impressed with what we saw yesterday  Grin I'll give you a positive though. Van Veen will be starting every week and rightly so based on yesterday. He was excellent.

That is great to hear, I really hope he starts banging them in on the regular for us now, if only to shut up all the people that hated on him.

Especially those that sent nasty messages.  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #196 on: August 12, 2018, 08:30:01 am »

The couple of times we have played some decent football we’ve looked ok, but too much route 1 and a few seem to be going through the motions. JJ and Crooks anonymous...Crooks can’t stand up!

Average fourth division fayre!

Quite a few booing and ‘what the f@cking hell is this?’ before we scored. Calling for Billy Waters too!! Fickle fans!
Fickle? Tbf, they've travelled nearly 300 miles (or more for some of us!) and are the same ones getting the only atmosphere in the whole ground going!
Apart from the period after equalising, was a very poor, disjointed performance - almost as bad as Shrewsbury away last season! Carlisle also (on yesterday's evidence) even poorer, but almost handed a win on a plate in the closing minutes.

Cornell was pretty good imo, dominant and confident, though his eagerness to throw out immediately, also nearly cost us!

Those yellow and red shirts are an abomination...yellow is the new orange! The sheep who have bought them...what were you thinking, you looked like...
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 12, 2018, 08:35:53 am »

Speaking of odd, there were a couple of very dubious characters amongst our contingent today.

In particular the girls the back  who kept shouting “F@cking sort it out Austin” / “Get f@cking Waters on Austin” ON REPEAT and on on her own for at least half hour. Then within 5 minutes of Billy’s introduction was wailing “F@cking attack Waters” / “Find some f@cking space Waters”. An absolute disgrace throughout.
It was an annoying ten year old boy! Wanted the Cobbs to score to shut the little twat up!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 12, 2018, 08:38:24 am »

I remember Steve Terry taking them on a regular basis..jury is out still... Grin
Yes, and what a team that was!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #199 on: August 12, 2018, 10:23:57 am »

Ive a very different take on yesterdays game than most it seems.

My main point is that I can see exactly what Deano is trying to do. Every time one of our players receives the ball it is clear the instructions are to play it. NOT HOOF IT. This resulted in many misplaced passes, but it also ensured that when we had a dominating spell we looked very very good.

Crooks was pretty much the best case study of this. Terrible in the first half, was walking a tight rope to just stay on the pitch before being sent off. Id have subbed him at half time. Second half, he ran the show for us in midfield WITH THE BALL, scored, looked like a totally different player and not one whose move had broken down during the week!

The game itself was the most enjoyable Cobblers match Ive watched for a long long time. Both teams played good football, looked very poor defensively and it could have ended up 5-5. A draw in the end was definitely a fair reflection.

Our biggest weak link by far was in the right back position. Based on yesterdays game, the new lad was Ashley Corker-esque! He just couldn't defend basically, and they targeted his side throughout. He was also very close to getting himself sent off.

I don't think our overall problem though is the back4 itself, they just don't get any protection. If I was the manager Id be looking to bring in a Jason Taylor type of player quickly. Obviously, McWilliams can do that job but he's the only one we've got who can. We need him back, and I reckon wed have won yesterday with him in the side. Mitigation as well because once Crooks had been booked, we had no one to put a foot in because JJOT seemed to be away with the fairies and was practically non-existent!

The subs also made us weaker, this is the 3rd game I've seen on the trot where this has happened. Walsall away, last week and yesterday. I didn't go to the Oldham game at the end of last season. This is my only really concern with Dean Austin at the moment.

But credit where credits due. The effort levels were bang on, the intent to play football was great to see, we didn't dick around time wasting and was trying to win the match right until the bitter end. Its a dangerous game but to play it we need to make better subs. Or in yesterdays case, less subs. The Waters for Williams was a change for change sake.

Finally fair play to the two players I've given most flak to. KVV was my mom, ironically I knew he was starting yesterday from 'inside information' I received on Friday - which I was hardly gonna share given Im a fan and don't want the opposition knowing of our plans!  Grin I had a real feeling that he'd score and I've never predicted that before a game until yesterday!  Grin

Cornell. Someone said his distribution was poor. I thought it was bloody brilliant! His handling throughout was excellent and as far as Im concerned he's got the shirt and its his to lose. The boy is doing well at the moment.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: