The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 23:27:39 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Wycombe Wanderers (a)- League Cup First Round

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wycombe Wanderers (a)- League Cup First Round  (Read 7485 times)
Snow Dive Larry

View Profile WWW
Badges: (View All)
« Reply #120 on: August 15, 2018, 09:09:55 am »

Bit harsh to have a go at Ward based on the shoot out - fair enough if he's had a shocker for the rest of the game but do we really now expect keepers to be saving most of the pens?

Set pieces are looking a real problem at the moment and in this division that's a worry. No certain corner/free kick/penalty taker (though I can imagine Morias will take spot kicks eventually) in the side could cost us big chances to score.
Report Spam   Logged

1971cobbler

View Profile
Level 5 Search Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #121 on: August 15, 2018, 09:20:14 am »

I don't know who would be to blame!! A rookie manager with no league experience can't really judge how a rookie goalkeeper with no league experience would perform in the league!

It amuses me somewhat...Cornell has never done much wrong, but has never looked spectacular in the way Adam Smith, Richard O'Donnell, Matt Ingram and others have done at times. He's just a steady Eddie playing for a fourth division football club.
Yet many were clamouring for a keeper with not a single league game under his belt, (26 games for Aldershot last season, 10 clean sheets, 22 goals conceded) to replace him!

That said....Cornell has played 24 competitive games for us, keeping just two clean sheets and letting in 42 goals.........

Out of curiosity, what were Ingram and ROD's games played versus goals conceded stats?

Been mentioned elsewhere, but I think there is a perception about Cornell that is a bit unfair based on the fact that he doesn't make the spectacular saves. Therefore any goals conceded that could be attributed to poor positioning add up to him being labelled as a s***e keeper.

Adam Smith regularly used to concede goals akin to Carlisle's equaliser.

Bottom line is that we allow the opposition in for a pot shot far too easily nowadays.
Report Spam   Logged
EssTeeFree

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 15, 2018, 09:24:12 am »

All this hoo-ha about Taylor taking the pen is all a bit much to be honest. What is Austin supposed to do, they clearly had a bit of an in house competition pre-season, if Taylor was the second best we had through hat then what is he supposed to do?

It is such a simplistic view point that attackers should take pens. Some of the best forwards in recent times have sucked at pens (Messi, Rooney as examples) and some defenders have been excellent Penalty takers.

Sounds like Taylor had his chance and he now says he's off them, onto the next victim. At least it wasn't a league game.
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #123 on: August 15, 2018, 09:29:42 am »

O'Donnell played 19 games for us....was on the winning side 5 times....conceded 32 goals.....kept 2 clean sheets.....
Ingram played 20 games for us......was on the winning side 6 times.....conceded 29 goals.....kept 4 clean sheets.....
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
guest3063

« Reply #124 on: August 15, 2018, 09:47:08 am »

Bit harsh to have a go at Ward based on the shoot out - fair enough if he's had a shocker for the rest of the game but do we really now expect keepers to be saving most of the pens?

Set pieces are looking a real problem at the moment and in this division that's a worry. No certain corner/free kick/penalty taker (though I can imagine Morias will take spot kicks eventually) in the side could cost us big chances to score.

Played with a finger splint, certainly not easy for a keeper. DA said they thought he was going to be out for a few weeks.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #125 on: August 15, 2018, 10:05:53 am »

Don't put yourself down, let others have a chance. Jolly hockey sticks and a Spitfire flypast to you.  Wink

Not sure if you are ‘Frank’  as you do not share many of the noble characteristics of Lord Frank. What do you think of Donald as a bloke bearing in mind he is a Cobblers supporter! Do ethnic people get a fair share in the UK? How about Gays ets? HMS Renown, Warspite and Nelson to you with nobs on! To speak authoritatively on here and as suggested by Coolie you should attend some away games as judgements on contentious issues like those raised by Patmore are adequately covered. Try not to answer too many of your own posts as the men in white coats will come a’calling. Best of luck!
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 15, 2018, 10:19:20 am »

The supposed “clamour” is a result of Cornell’s short comings, not over hyped belief in Ward.

A lack of a experience is not an issue if he is good enough. I wasn’t there tonight though so I can’t comment on Ward. Cornell has had three cracks at holding down the No1 spot now and just does not seem up to it. If Ward is not an upgrade we will lose further games needlessly.

Slating his performance in a penalty shoot out smacks of a desperation to be proven right though. Keith Welch was terrible on penalties and Mark Bunn wasn’t much better.

By the way, Hoskin’s has started on the right in both League games.

It’s a bit contradictory that for one so vocal in Criticism of current Cobbs goalie that you fail to evaluate his potential successor last night.
Report Spam   Logged

Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #127 on: August 15, 2018, 10:21:23 am »

I don’t really care if Taylor has scored 25 out of 27 penalties in training - a striker/attacking player should be taking then all day long, someone who is actually used to shooting/scoring goals. Likewise with the set pieces/attacking free kicks - Taylor shouldn’t be anywhere near them, he needs to be on the end of them. This set piece thing smacks of lack of preparation to me.
Spot on, guess it comes from having a rookie manager and a chairman who's looking to off load the club.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 15, 2018, 10:22:07 am »

If ward is not up to scratch we really are ****!

Imagine having 3 keepers all not good enough to be number 1 and a young kid on the books.

**** poor show if that's the case on Austins part

What are you hinting at?
Report Spam   Logged

Wolvo

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 15, 2018, 10:38:14 am »

I don’t really care if Taylor has scored 25 out of 27 penalties in training - a striker/attacking player should be taking then all day long, someone who is actually used to shooting/scoring goals. Likewise with the set pieces/attacking free kicks - Taylor shouldn’t be anywhere near them, he needs to be on the end of them. This set piece thing smacks of lack of preparation to me.

What if the defender is the best penalty taker? (Baines, Hierro etc)
Report Spam   Logged

Pink Army!
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #130 on: August 15, 2018, 10:55:07 am »

What if the defender is the best penalty taker? (Baines, Hierro etc)

Phil Neal being a prime example amongst a Liverpool team of players supposedly better able to put the ball into net in open play.
Some of the best penalty takers that I have been involved with have been goalkeepers. A few teams have even used their goalkeeper for in play penalties, although very few for obvious reasons.
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
EssTeeFree

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 15, 2018, 11:36:18 am »

Spot on, guess it comes from having a rookie manager and a chairman who's looking to off load the club.

I'm pretty certain that who owns our club has no bearing on which players show up best when penalties are practiced. Kudos for working it onto your post though!
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 15, 2018, 14:12:43 pm »

Oh....are you implying that Ward is not the new Messiah after all??  Grin

On last night, is not ready yet; needs a lot of coaching. Should have saved their goal last night too. This is bad news for the Cornell detractors who see Ward as the new nos 1. Ha Ha.
Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 15, 2018, 14:14:19 pm »

If ward is not up to scratch we really are ****!

Imagine having 3 keepers all not good enough to be number 1 and a young kid on the books.

**** poor show if that's the case on Austins part

Schadenfreudian
Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 15, 2018, 14:17:10 pm »

Chron mentioned Cam McWilliams would have been on the bench but picked up an injury. Still odd they didn’t replace him with Odoffin though.

What is odd in having 6 on the bench? Your getting as bad as the others.
Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 15, 2018, 14:45:42 pm »

My first game watching the Cobblers this season (not even been to a pre-season game this year). Some random thoughts from my perspective (sat with the Wycombe supporters about 15 yards the other side of the Half Way line from where most of our supporters were);

One very bitter point - their goalkeeper's antics in the penalty shootout delaying penalties being taken whilst he got his hair right and his shiny red gloves back on - repellant.

Pretty good report CF and accurate too. I enjoyed the hoof ball to our two tiny fwds! -  Roll Eyes 'Fort that Morais should have done a lot better with his chance.Agree with your comments on their goal keeper antics not to mention the laser lights flashed towards our players in the penalty shoot out.

The only players who looked first team standard to me last night were:
Taylor, Crooks, Facey, Turnbull, Bowditch and Hoskins. All others were ineffective and/or not good enough.
The great white hope Ward is not ready yet and does not appear to have sufficient quality to challenge yet for a first team spot. Perhaps with Cornell in goal for the penalties we might have won as Ward did not look llke saving any or get near to any of them.
Report Spam   Logged

EssTeeFree

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 15, 2018, 15:00:57 pm »

What is odd in having 6 on the bench? Your getting as bad as the others.

How many times does any team only have 6 on the bench? I'd venture it is less than 5% of games, maybe even less than 1% - that in itself makes it odd.

I thought that when a player who would have been on the bench drops out they would be replaced by another. We didn't have any natural cover for right back last night, with it being Facey's first game back it would have been sensible to add a bit of cover there. Given that Odoffin is likely to make way for Facey now it wouldn't have done any harm for him to be on the bench last night in my opinion.

It's not a criticism of Austin just struck me as an anomaly.
Report Spam   Logged
memyhead

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 15, 2018, 16:30:44 pm »

Pretty sure young Cam McWilliams would have been the 7th sub but was injured (perhaps just he had a niggle when they arrived at the ground and didn't want to risk him?)
Report Spam   Logged
guest47

« Reply #138 on: August 15, 2018, 16:32:44 pm »

How many times does any team only have 6 on the bench? I'd venture it is less than 5% of games, maybe even less than 1% - that in itself makes it odd.

I thought that when a player who would have been on the bench drops out they would be replaced by another. We didn't have any natural cover for right back last night, with it being Facey's first game back it would have been sensible to add a bit of cover there. Given that Odoffin is likely to make way for Facey now it wouldn't have done any harm for him to be on the bench last night in my opinion.

It's not a criticism of Austin just struck me as an anomaly.

That’s a good point especially as we have the largest squad in the world. I suppose if someone had to drop out Shortly before the game  it would be unfair to drag someone down to Wycombe to watch the game from the bench.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 15, 2018, 17:33:06 pm »

The supposed “clamour” is a result of Cornell’s short comings, not over hyped belief in Ward.

The two go together: the perceived ‘clamour’  as you put it was reinforced by the mistaken belief in Wards ability.You further fuelled the situation by grossly demonising a young players ability. There was little or no attempt to offer constructive advice to the player let alone a potential replacement. In many years of supporting the Cobblers it is hard to recall such a one sided and vindictive appraisal of a player contracted to a Club you supposedly support.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: