The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 12:14:23 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Unsettling the U's - Saturday 18 August

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unsettling the U's - Saturday 18 August  (Read 11921 times)
Patmore

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« Reply #160 on: August 18, 2018, 20:32:20 pm »

It’s nice to go to a game and be entertained and I’ve found the first three games this season more entetaining than anything I’ve witnessed in the last two years. We are pressing high, moving the ball quickly and looking to win games. Hallelujah.

It is a possibly a bit too gung-ho at the minute but it’s good to watch and if they can just adjust the balance a little bit we could be on to a good thing. It was like a 424 for much of the second half today. I get that the wide men need to be given licence to push on a bit and have an attacking mentality, but Powell in particular needs to work much harder to get back into shape and offer some support to his full back when we lose the ball. Being attack minded will always leave some vulnerability at the back though.

It might take a bit of time to get it right but if this is the style and intent Austin wants from his teams then I hope he is given time to work on it and find that balance.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3114

« Reply #161 on: August 18, 2018, 20:39:58 pm »

Massively frustrating but we’ll still be in the mix for the play offs, absolutely no question.
Report Spam   Logged
Clarity

View Profile
1000 Posts Fifth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #162 on: August 18, 2018, 20:48:15 pm »

Ash Taylor is doing my head in? How many times does he give the ball away? Some of his passing was a joke, he clearly thinks he’s better than this league but isn’t.

Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #163 on: August 18, 2018, 20:56:55 pm »

Buchanan needs to stop the opposing teams right winger occasionally. I can only remember him doing it twice today .Once in the first half when he fouled their player and then once in the second where he won the ball and was then fouled himself. Might be Turnball time. Good team selection and subs today by Austin. We were the better team but the pressure mounts because we can's defend a lead.
So slow, yes finger pointing non-stop, responsible for their equaliser. Cut the sentiment...get rid!
Report Spam   Logged
OCoole

View Profile
Windows User Sixth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #164 on: August 18, 2018, 21:04:40 pm »

So slow, yes finger pointing non-stop, responsible for their equaliser. Cut the sentiment...get rid!

He must go. His defending is so so poor. Gives the winger all day long to cross it. Blames everyone else but himself.

People saying if Cornell carries on playing then we’ll achieve nothing this season need to re-direct their attention to our useless fullback. I’d far rather Facey play there on his weaker foot. If DA doesn’t drop him after this game then I’ll lose a lot of faith in him.
Report Spam   Logged
Dan

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #165 on: August 18, 2018, 21:15:28 pm »

My thoughts on today's game.

Thank fuc* that we have been able to keep Crooks and Van Veen. Without them we'd be relegation candidates. If they had a good defence then I believe that they could lead us to another league 2 title.

Foley well and truly made me eat humble pie today and I'm happy to have sampled it. Well played lad. We'll played.

Taylor is getting worse by the game and is a big concern for me. Not surprised that others are seeing this now. Pierre needs to use some composure when he gets the ball rather than hoof it first time like his partner does.

Buchs isn't good enough and shouldn't be starting any more. Powell was anonymous for 99% of the game and Hoskins was. Well, Hoskins. Drop him ffs. He should have been subbed off after 25 minutes.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 22:11:18 pm by Dan » Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2013
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #166 on: August 18, 2018, 21:52:57 pm »

I'm surprised to read some of the comments on here as I really enjoyed the game today.

Some of the OTT comments from the armchair brigade are getting very tiresome - there is no need yet to shreak out comments like a demented school girl.
My take on the game was that the overall better side dropped points due to defensive  errors of one kind or another. vV the pantomine villain or worse for some posters on here was very good. His first goal was magnificently taken; its been years since we have had a centre forward who could do that. He is more than a Striker as his alround play was a class above this level. In some ways his second was better, chased a lost cause, disposessed the full back and wham. At last we have proper forward who can score goals. His critics on here may look a little silly now.
Was disappointed with Pierre who looked slow and cumbersome and his passing was err ... erratic! Taylor I thought did ok; one tackle in the first half prevented a one on one situation. His passing let him down , why is he so keen to emulate Beckham with attempted long range cross field balls? Just play it simple find the nearest man and slide the ball to him. Buch's coming in for some rough treatment on here and yes he was struggling occasionallly against their not so good right winger. Poot old Dolphin great first half, poorish second half made worse by a poor defensive clearance which led to their first goal...actually gifted.Williams had some decent touches but is no vV ! Hoskins constant source of trouble for them but his passing and crosses simply not good enough. Foley had a good game after his disasterous showing at WW. Very good at going forward but a bit hesitant when defending. His passing was much better today. Powell was ok very strong surges 1st half but seemed to fade second.His final ball was often poor and lacked vision at times. Crooks overall MOM. Cornell to far away for me to give honest assessment and perhaps one or two on here are correct he failed to dominate his area 2nd half, but sounds a bit harsh and easy to lay blame after letting slip a deserved lead twice! We missed JJOT and McW. Be interesting to hear other posters comments on Cornell and the two goals. Still we have two points, a classy and true centreforward, good players to return. Must say DA sounded truly pi$$ed off in his summary of the game and who can blame him. We need a LB, right winger and somebody like Grimes for corners and free kicks.  Their corners were miles better than ours.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2018, 22:00:59 pm by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
claretparrot

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #167 on: August 18, 2018, 22:04:00 pm »

After today and Lincoln (I wasn’t at Carlisle), I’m still feeling positive in the main. We look great going forward and some, though not all, of our defensive frailties can be dealt with on the training pitch.

Agree that Odoffin’s all round performance was very good aside from the goal.

I was a long way away from their goals but, with that caveat, for the first I thought Cornell should have done more. Yes we should stop the cross. Some crosses will come in every game though and I want our goalkeeper to be coming to get the ones that enter his six yard box. As others have suggested, his inability to command the area creates confusion and panic at the back.
Report Spam   Logged
guest48

« Reply #168 on: August 18, 2018, 23:09:04 pm »

Yes Buchs had a poor game but look who was in front of him," Nearly Man" Powell who nearly gets a tackle in, nearly wins an header but actually does next to nothing. I've never seen a player more lacking in "bottle" than Powell. He's quick, strong and has talent but is basically sh*t scared of getting stuck in.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2539

« Reply #169 on: August 19, 2018, 05:40:58 am »

Maybe we will have to ditch the thought of playing two wingers and replace them with better quality midfielders we have in the squad. Hoskins, Powell and Bridge can not produce the consistent quality of end product we require!

4-1-3-2?

Cornell

Facey Taylor Pierre Turnbull(or loan)

McWilliams

Crooks O'Toole Bowditch

Van Veen Williams

We are very short of natural left footers to give the squad balance. I hope DA sticks with his entertaining ethos but tweeks his defensive options!
Report Spam   Logged
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #170 on: August 19, 2018, 06:19:05 am »

Does anyone else think we might be in for another season of struggle?

Losing (or not winning) is one heck of a hard habit to break...
Report Spam   Logged
defender

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 19, 2018, 07:22:56 am »

My thoughts on today's game.

Thank fuc* that we have been able to keep Crooks and Van Veen. Without them we'd be relegation candidates. If they had a good defence then I believe that they could lead us to another league 2 title.

Foley well and truly made me eat humble pie today and I'm happy to have sampled it. Well played lad. We'll played.

Taylor is getting worse by the game and is a big concern for me. Not surprised that others are seeing this now. Pierre needs to use some composure when he gets the ball rather than hoof it first time like his partner does.

Buchs isn't good enough and shouldn't be starting any more. Powell was anonymous for 99% of the game and Hoskins was. Well, Hoskins. Drop him ffs. He should have been subbed off after 25 minutes.

AGREED!
Report Spam   Logged
defender

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 19, 2018, 07:26:03 am »

Maybe we will have to ditch the thought of playing two wingers and replace them with better quality midfielders we have in the squad. Hoskins, Powell and Bridge can not produce the consistent quality of end product we require!

4-1-3-2?

Cornell

Facey Taylor Pierre Turnbull(or loan)

McWilliams

Crooks O'Toole Bowditch

Van Veen Williams

We are very short of natural left footers to give the squad balance. I hope DA sticks with his entertaining ethos but tweeks his defensive options!

For me I would go 3-5-2
Report Spam   Logged
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #173 on: August 19, 2018, 07:42:48 am »

There’s nothing wrong with the formation - it’s rank bad defending that needs to be eliminated by cutting out the individual mistakes and working on the training ground (I had hoped that Austin and Todd would have already done this in preseason as they both were defenders). A couple of tweaks in personnel wouldn’t go amiss too.
Report Spam   Logged
Vintage Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 19, 2018, 07:55:09 am »

From what I have seen so far this season we look to be a mid-table side but if we continue to be unable to defend leads it may be a long season. But the dividing line between success and failure is thin and this squad could and should do a lot better than we have seen so far.  

The positives are that we look in VV and Williams to have a pair of strikers as good as any in this league.  But the service to them has to improve.  The contributions yesterday from Hoskins & Powell taken over 90 minutes was poor.  We have been seeing Hoskins for 3 seasons now and it is the same old "no end product" player. Time to replace him with a wide right player with pace who can deliver to feet or head as required.  No one on our books can do that. DA is in denial on this subject. Powell has much more natural ability than Hoskins and for that reason he is even more frustrating but another one who needs replacing unless he improves his all round game dramatically.  Crooks & Foley both did well yesterday but I expect McWilliams to replace Foley when he is fit.  That leaves a question of where to play JJOT and his best position these days appears to be in the hole behind the strikers but that may not happen.  At full back Facey will return shortly and that will help. On the other side of the pitch Buchanan had a poor game yesterday and should have been substituted but our weakness in that position was exposed by having no one on the bench for that position.  The centre backs are 2 slow L2 stoppers unable to pass the ball, good enough to handle the aerial combat we will face against the lesser teams but given DA's stated intention of playing from the back not enough for that style of play.  In goal Cornell has not been at obvious fault for any of the goals conceded but he doesn't inspire confidence. The problem in that position is that Ward is inexperienced and did nothing at WW to suggest he is likely to be the number 1 choice.  

Game 3 only yesterday but we need to beat Morecambe and get something from Colchester to calm concerns.
Report Spam   Logged
guest1269

« Reply #175 on: August 19, 2018, 08:06:42 am »

So well done Evers for backing van neem - I had my doubts but the character assasination from others close season was well out of order. I think Williams puts in a great shift and together with some service from the flanks I think we will see a good season for goals.
Overall yesterday second half as entertaining game I have seen for the last 12 months.
I wish fans would get off Hoskins back during the game - he can hear the moans and groans and in the first half defenders blocking his crosses seemed a certainty - second half he was much better and if he is so bad why do the opposition man mark him with two players.
Powell reminds me of Liam Davis - talent and speed but either no confidence or scared of getting hurt.
Crooks and Foley were I thought excellent (although for me Crooks missed the easiest chance of the game). I didn’t think Buchs had as bad a game as some on here suggest but Ash’s performance not great.
Report Spam   Logged
St Edmundsbury Cobbler

View Profile
Level 6 Search Windows User
« Reply #176 on: August 19, 2018, 08:25:22 am »

There’s nothing wrong with the formation - it’s rank bad defending that needs to be eliminated by cutting out the individual mistakes and working on the training ground (I had hoped that Austin and Todd would have already done this in preseason as they both were defenders). A couple of tweaks in personnel wouldn’t go amiss too.

The rank bad defending was a huge contributer to our rank bad season last season, keeping the same back line as last season was never going to change things. All last season we gifted goals by not closing down and by giving space in the penalty area leading to unmarked strikers scoring goals. The very first game this season saw the same issues. Until we can replace what we have with better quality we'll not stop shipping goals.

On the plus side we can all make a lot of money on the btts coupons this season.
Report Spam   Logged

2022/23 Prediction League Champion
2022/23 Guess The Attendance Champion

Claret & White - Nothing Else Matters
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #177 on: August 19, 2018, 09:14:38 am »

It’s unbelievably frustrating as Taylor was our poty last year and Pierre was very highly rated at Wycombe the year before last - both seem to have regressed. The fullback areas are our main problem at the moment and general organisation and shape.
Report Spam   Logged
cobbler_rob

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 19, 2018, 09:21:17 am »

Wasn’t at the game yesterday but if Cornell’s our number 1 this season we’re going to struggle to be up there. Every good team needs a quality keeper and he does not inspire any confidence in me at all. What was the point in bringing in Ward if he’s no improvement on what we’ve got? We have 10 days left of the loan market if Wards not up for it send him back and get a proper keeper in on loan for the season quick
Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #179 on: August 19, 2018, 09:33:11 am »

It’s unbelievably frustrating as Taylor was our poty last year and Pierre was very highly rated at Wycombe the year before last - both seem to have regressed. The fullback areas are our main problem at the moment and general organisation and shape.

Taylor's passing is awful. However, I think the players are told to hit long diagonal balls over to the full back positions when the opportunity arises. Crooks did one in the 2nd half that went straight through to the keeper. DA mentioned it after the Lincoln game, but at the moment it's making Ash Taylor's passing look even worse than normal.

Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: