The Hotel End
April 16, 2024, 13:50:41 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Unsettling the U's - Saturday 18 August

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unsettling the U's - Saturday 18 August  (Read 12117 times)
guest3023

Badges: (View All)
« Reply #180 on: August 19, 2018, 09:52:25 am »

So well done Evers for backing van neem - I had my doubts but the character assasination from others close season was well out of order. I think Williams puts in a great shift and together with some service from the flanks I think we will see a good season for goals.
Overall yesterday second half as entertaining game I have seen for the last 12 months.
I wish fans would get off Hoskins back during the game - he can hear the moans and groans and in the first half defenders blocking his crosses seemed a certainty - second half he was much better and if he is so bad why do the opposition man mark him with two players.
Powell reminds me of Liam Davis - talent and speed but either no confidence or scared of getting hurt.
Crooks and Foley were I thought excellent (although for me Crooks missed the easiest chance of the game). I didn’t think Buchs had as bad a game as some on here suggest but Ash’s performance not great.

The frustrating thing with Hoskins is if he can improve his end product he would become such a dangerous player at this level. As you say, in the second half he played a lot better. I think it was this improvement in part which led to the better attacking performance from the team in that period. He also produced an excellent piece of skill near the end to leave his man for for dead but was cynically grappled back to basically prevent a clear Cobblers goal-scoring opportunity. Now he needs to consistently produce performances at the level of that second half.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #181 on: August 19, 2018, 10:16:18 am »

I was told before a ball was kicked by someone directly involved that we would do well to finish mid table and it’s going to take a while to sort the squad out .
I dismissed this with the players we have but I now see what they mean .
Report Spam   Logged
JollyCobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #182 on: August 19, 2018, 10:23:40 am »

So slow, yes finger pointing non-stop, responsible for their equaliser. Cut the sentiment...get rid!

Was he though? Yes, Buchs has lost a lot of pace, but I thought the biggest mistake yesterday was bringing Bowditch on for Powell. People moan about Powell, and some of it is justified, but once he went off we were massively exposed down that side. Buchs consistently had two runners, with no one dropping in to cover.
Despite yet another draw, I remain optimistic about this side. If we can just tighten things up a bit, I think we'll be right in the mix. And the football is the best we have seen since the promotion year.
And, just a word on Hoskins, there are certain miserable c***s among our support who are willing him to fail. He put in a decent shift yesterday, yet a certain group near us still slaughtered everything he did. Pathetic.
Report Spam   Logged
Cobbler78

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 19, 2018, 10:29:46 am »

And, just a word on Hoskins, there are certain miserable c***s among our support who are willing him to fail. He put in a decent shift yesterday, yet a certain group near us still slaughtered everything he did. Pathetic.

These are probably the same “West Stand Belters” who contactly shout “FORWARD” when we are keeping good possession, passing the ball whilst the opposition use up their energy chasing shadows. So painful to listen to.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3023

« Reply #184 on: August 19, 2018, 10:29:54 am »

The rank bad defending was a huge contributer to our rank bad season last season, keeping the same back line as last season was never going to change things. All last season we gifted goals by not closing down and by giving space in the penalty area leading to unmarked strikers scoring goals. The very first game this season saw the same issues. Until we can replace what we have with better quality we'll not stop shipping goals.

On the plus side we can all make a lot of money on the btts coupons this season.

Facey and Odoffin are good enough RB options. The centre-backs in the squad should have enough quality to form a reasonably 'solid' pairing from now until January IMO. The biggest issue is GK and LB. If Ward and Turnbull aren't deemed good enough to come in and play those positions then DA should be looking for replacements in the loan market now.

Cornell wasn't the main culprit for the goals, but a team needs a 'keeper who will come and claim a cross(es) when the team is under the cosh. That this area of his game is weak means that the defence has to deal with just about everything and clearances start to get rushed, which usually gives the ball straight back to the opposition, which leads to another ball into the box to have to be dealt with etc. It's a vicious circle. He misread the flight of the ball for their first as he moved to go for it, then changed his mind. He should be claiming that IMO. It being too easy for the forward to put in his cross, Cornell not coming to claim the ball and the no-one being in the centre of the box in case the ball dropped in that danger area were all equally as culpable for the goal as Odoffin's error.
Report Spam   Logged
Dan

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #185 on: August 19, 2018, 10:39:48 am »

The frustrating thing with Hoskins is if he can improve his end product he would become such a dangerous player at this level. As you say, in the second half he played a lot better. I think it was this improvement in part which led to the better attacking performance from the team in that period. He also produced an excellent piece of skill near the end to leave his man for for dead but was cynically grappled back to basically prevent a clear Cobblers goal-scoring opportunity. Now he needs to consistently produce performances at the level of that second half.

He's in his fourth season at the club now and still hasn't improved those things.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2013
Alfred

View Profile
Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #186 on: August 19, 2018, 10:43:49 am »

Cornel will give a goal away more often than not ... another game where he dosnt make a save of note

Odfin is this years Rod McDonald.... plays well but has a howler in him

Taylor and Pierre both individually good.... but both remind me of Langmead pre Clarke Carlisle  .... both need a "old head" alongside them to bring them on.

Report Spam   Logged
JollyCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 19, 2018, 10:44:58 am »

Some of the OTT comments from the armchair brigade are getting very tiresome - there is no need yet to shreak out comments like a demented school girl.
My take on the game was that the overall better side dropped points due to defensive  errors of one kind or another. vV the pantomine villain or worse for some posters on here was very good. His first goal was magnificently taken; its been years since we have had a centre forward who could do that. He is more than a Striker as his alround play was a class above this level. In some ways his second was better, chased a lost cause, disposessed the full back and wham. At last we have proper forward who can score goals. His critics on here may look a little silly now.
Was disappointed with Pierre who looked slow and cumbersome and his passing was err ... erratic! Taylor I thought did ok; one tackle in the first half prevented a one on one situation. His passing let him down , why is he so keen to emulate Beckham with attempted long range cross field balls? Just play it simple find the nearest man and slide the ball to him. Buch's coming in for some rough treatment on here and yes he was struggling occasionallly against their not so good right winger. Poot old Dolphin great first half, poorish second half made worse by a poor defensive clearance which led to their first goal...actually gifted.Williams had some decent touches but is no vV ! Hoskins constant source of trouble for them but his passing and crosses simply not good enough. Foley had a good game after his disasterous showing at WW. Very good at going forward but a bit hesitant when defending. His passing was much better today. Powell was ok very strong surges 1st half but seemed to fade second.His final ball was often poor and lacked vision at times. Crooks overall MOM. Cornell to far away for me to give honest assessment and perhaps one or two on here are correct he failed to dominate his area 2nd half, but sounds a bit harsh and easy to lay blame after letting slip a deserved lead twice! We missed JJOT and McW. Be interesting to hear other posters comments on Cornell and the two goals. Still we have two points, a classy and true centreforward, good players to return. Must say DA sounded truly pi$$ed off in his summary of the game and who can blame him. We need a LB, right winger and somebody like Grimes for corners and free kicks.  Their corners were miles better than ours.

Good post, Evers. We definitely lack width, and this, along with decent cover at left back, is something which need addressing. The other issue needs addressing is set pieces, because they are woeful. Pierre is a decent player, but I wish he'd cut out just punting the ball upfield when he is in acres.
Overall, if we can keep this pressing game going, while tightening up the silly mistakes, I think we'll do well.
One final thing, given the fact that every Cobblers side over the last few years has looked knackered after 50 minutes, I'm impressed with this side's fitness levels. This being said of course, a decent fitness level is the least we should expect.
Report Spam   Logged
JollyCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 19, 2018, 10:46:46 am »

AGREED!

You weren't there. Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #189 on: August 19, 2018, 10:48:01 am »

We have to get a few loans in . Left back has been an issue for us for three seasons and it hasn’t been addressed . We need a loan in to cover this position .
We also need a natural wide player in on loan . I would have Ariyibi back any time if still available .
DA has to relax his view on loans otherwise we are going to struggle.
I agree on Cornell but if Ward is no better why on earth was he brought in.
Report Spam   Logged
Dan

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 19, 2018, 10:50:38 am »

You weren't there. Roll Eyes

He was right to agree though  Grin Cool
Report Spam   Logged

JollyCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 19, 2018, 10:51:05 am »

So well done Evers for backing van neem - I had my doubts but the character assasination from others close season was well out of order. I think Williams puts in a great shift and together with some service from the flanks I think we will see a good season for goals.
Overall yesterday second half as entertaining game I have seen for the last 12 months.
I wish fans would get off Hoskins back during the game - he can hear the moans and groans and in the first half defenders blocking his crosses seemed a certainty - second half he was much better and if he is so bad why do the opposition man mark him with two players.
Powell reminds me of Liam Davis - talent and speed but either no confidence or scared of getting hurt.
Crooks and Foley were I thought excellent (although for me Crooks missed the easiest chance of the game). I didn’t think Buchs had as bad a game as some on here suggest but Ash’s performance not great.

Good post.
Report Spam   Logged
JollyCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 19, 2018, 10:59:31 am »

These are probably the same “West Stand Belters” who contactly shout “FORWARD” when we are keeping good possession, passing the ball whilst the opposition use up their energy chasing shadows. So painful to listen to.

Yep! There was an incident in the second half where we lost the ball just inside there half and they looked to be away. Hoskins ran back thirty metres, nicked the ball and slotted it back to Cornell. The clown behind me shouted "For **** sake turn and go, you useless ****!" It was such a ridiculous comment that we all turned round and laughed at the bloke.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2018, 11:04:46 am by JollyCobbler » Report Spam   Logged
ajp

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 19, 2018, 11:09:52 am »

Few thoughts on the first goal,  must do better to stop the cross, s*** defensive header by odofin (thought he played ok otherwise), Crooks has gone walkabout, completely loses his man and somehow ends up on the goal line.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #194 on: August 19, 2018, 11:13:11 am »

Does anyone else think we might be in for another season of struggle?

Losing (or not winning) is one heck of a hard habit to break...

Misery guts
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Alfred

View Profile
Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #195 on: August 19, 2018, 11:17:26 am »

Misery guts

Cut him some slack ... that the most positive post ivr ever seen ole clarkey ... he loves a season of struggle.
Report Spam   Logged
Vintage Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 19, 2018, 11:18:25 am »

Some of us have tried to give a balanced view of what we have seen so far this season.  On the subject of "Super Sam" Hoskins is clearly our marmite player.  I would only add to what I wrote yesterday and earlier today that much as I like his commitment and energy to my eye he is not improving as a player. He has had +3 years here to develop his game but there has been no substantive improvement. There has been an on-going debate about whether he is a striker (i.e. in old fashioned language an inside forward) or a wide player. The signing of Morias and the new strike partnership of VV & Williams tells me DA has made the decision and it is out wide for Sam or the bench.  I am not one to get on a player's back at any match, we all have bad days at the office and the 1st half performance of Hoskins yesterday was just that with a definite better 2nd half contribution.  Overall I don't think Hoskins is what we want and need on the right side. I hope he proves me wrong but I have been saying that for 3 seasons.  
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 19, 2018, 11:20:01 am »

Cornel will give a goal away more often than not ... another game where he dosnt make a save of note

I thought he did ; certain I saw one or two pat him on the back at some point in 1st half. Possibly another second half. In any case Dolphin made the error and the second was a wonder goal?
Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 19, 2018, 11:23:29 am »

Was he though? Yes, Buchs has lost a lot of pace, but I thought the biggest mistake yesterday was bringing Bowditch on for Powell. People moan about Powell, and some of it is justified, but once he went off we were massively exposed down that side. Buchs consistently had two runners, with no one dropping in to cover.
Despite yet another draw, I remain optimistic about this side. If we can just tighten things up a bit, I think we'll be right in the mix. And the football is the best we have seen since the promotion year.

+
After many years slowly warming to you Cool
Report Spam   Logged

Dan

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 19, 2018, 11:26:18 am »

Some of us have tried to give a balanced view of what we have seen so far this season.  On the subject of "Super Sam" Hoskins is clearly our marmite player.  I would only add to what I wrote yesterday and earlier today that much as I like his commitment and energy to my eye he is not improving as a player. He has had +3 years here to develop his game but there has been no substantive improvement. There has been an on-going debate about whether he is a striker (i.e. in old fashioned language an inside forward) or a wide player. The signing of Morias and the new strike partnership of VV & Williams tells me DA has made the decision and it is out wide for Sam or the bench.  I am not one to get on a player's back at any match, we all have bad days at the office and the 1st half performance of Hoskins yesterday was just that with a definite better 2nd half contribution.  Overall I don't think Hoskins is what we want and need on the right side. I hope he proves me wrong but I have been saying that for 3 seasons.  

Bang on.
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: