The Hotel End
April 19, 2024, 22:06:38 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Colchester comeback?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Colchester comeback?  (Read 13179 times)
Its_nice_to_michu

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Tenth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2018, 08:30:04 am »

I can’t see us beating a rampant Col Utd side but I hope we do.

Austin needs really needs this result at all costs.

My hunch is that he will be gone after Saturday.
Report Spam   Logged
Ron Obvious

Suffer well.

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2018, 09:27:12 am »

I tend to agree with you but, We can score but we can't defend very well. Sort the defending out and we might  do a lot better, you won't win anything without a good defence.

Stop whispering, we can't hear you!
Report Spam   Logged

Breathing will help you live.
guest47

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2018, 10:05:02 am »

It might seem strange, but a tough away game next up might not be such a bad thing. A win against Colchester would be a bonus, a draw would be considered ok and a loss won't be the end of the world - as long as it's by only a goal or two.
Report Spam   Logged
Cordwainer2

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2018, 10:12:12 am »

Watched the highlights of Col v Crewe. Crewe goalkeeper was useless.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2018, 10:37:12 am »

Watched the highlights of Col v Crewe. Crewe goalkeeper was useless.

Cambridge keeper was better...  Roll Eyes Grin
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
OCoole

View Profile
Windows User Sixth year Anniversary Level 5
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2018, 12:44:22 pm »

In my opinion the team selection is obvious this week. We need to drop the clear underperformers. Change the formation back to the 4-3-3 that we used against Lincoln at the start of the season and exploit the pace of the wide players by hitting balls over the top for them to chase - hopefully forcing Colchester to make defensive errors like Lincoln did. This will allow us to play higher up the pitch as in my opinion one of our big faults as a team in the past few games is collectively sitting too deep - which causes the gaps/incoherency between the lines of the team. My team as follows:

Ward - Facey, Taylor, Pierre, Turnbull - Crooks, McWilliams, O'Toole - Waters, Van Veen, Morias

Bench: Cornell, Barnett, Odoffin, Foley, Bowditch, Hoskins, Williams

You know this team makes sense. Don't even try to challenge it!  Kiss

« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 12:46:45 pm by OCoole » Report Spam   Logged
Battery Man

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Poll Voter
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2018, 12:53:03 pm »

I will challenge it, Taylor has been a massive under performer so far this season, and if you watch him he blames everyone around him for mistakes he makes, the goal against Lincoln for example he lost his man then blamed Odoffin. So I would drop Taylor, I don't think Cornell has done anything wrong either this season, but then I haven't seen Ward play so ok with that. As for the rest, yes happy with that if McWilliams is fit.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2018, 13:04:14 pm »

In my opinion the team selection is obvious this week. We need to drop the clear underperformers. Change the formation back to the 4-3-3 that we used against Lincoln at the start of the season and exploit the pace of the wide players by hitting balls over the top for them to chase - hopefully forcing Colchester to make defensive errors like Lincoln did. This will allow us to play higher up the pitch as in my opinion one of our big faults as a team in the past few games is collectively sitting too deep - which causes the gaps/incoherency between the lines of the team. My team as follows:

Ward - Facey, Taylor, Pierre, Turnbull - Crooks, McWilliams, O'Toole - Waters, Van Veen, Morias

As a matter of general interest why are you dropping Cornell who some on here say has done nothing wrong as yet and replace him with an untried goalie who I doubt you may have not seen play yet?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 13:11:14 pm by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2018, 13:57:17 pm »

You have dropped Cornell and kept Taylor in. Have you watched any games this season
Report Spam   Logged
FezNTFC

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2018, 14:09:21 pm »

Cornell has not directly been at fault for any goals this year, but here are his performance records over the last four seasons.

2015/16 (Oldham) - P17 / W1 / D8 / L8 / CS1
2016/17 (Northampton) - P10 / W1 / D2 / L7 / CS1
2017/18 (Northampton) - P12/ W1 / D4 / L7 / CS1
2018/19 (Northampton) - P4 / W0 / D2 / L2 /CS0

So, in 43 games over four years, he's kept a whopping three clean sheets and won three games. It also gives him a grand points total for almost an entire football league season of 25 points - which is half of what you would need to avoid relegation.

That's a shambolic record, and while he of course isn't completely responsible it's enough to tell me he shouldn't be anywhere near to being our number one goalkeeper.
Report Spam   Logged
Ron Obvious

Suffer well.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2018, 14:19:33 pm »

Cornell has not directly been at fault for any goals this year, but here are his performance records over the last four seasons.

So, in 43 games over four years, he's kept a whopping three clean sheets and won three games. It also gives him a grand points total for almost an entire football league season of 25 points - which is half of what you would need to avoid relegation.

That's a shambolic record, and while he of course isn't completely responsible it's enough to tell me he shouldn't be anywhere near to being our number one goalkeeper.

But this is this season and he has been good. New goalkeeping coach has improved his game overall, still there is room for improvement.
Report Spam   Logged

Ron Obvious

Suffer well.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2018, 14:21:43 pm »

As a matter of general interest why are you dropping Cornell who some on here say has done nothing wrong as yet and replace him with an untried goalie who I doubt you may have not seen play yet?

Blind Stupidity, Obviously. Would also not drop Foley unless Jon Joe is 100% fit, I doubt he is.
Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2018, 14:28:06 pm »

I love messages like this - no consideration for replacements at all, no thought as to the other 3 goalies we have on the books! If we are not careful we will have a team of goalies! I would say that Cornell is the least of our problems at the moment.

# Iwastheretuesday.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
FezNTFC

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2018, 14:38:33 pm »

I love messages like this - no consideration for replacements at all, no thought as to the other 3 goalies we have on the books! If we are not careful we will have a team of goalies! I would say that Cornell is the least of our problems at the moment.

# Iwastheretuesday.
I'm pointing out that the fact he is still number one is a damning indictment of our recruitment. I maintain he's a good penalty saver and he has a good kick, but he's not up to scratch on any other part of his game, and I'm sorry but the stats prove it.

Ward is an unknown quantity for us all, but if he's not better than Cornell then frankly it was stupid bringing him in. It doesn't change the fact that Cornell is not up to it in my view, which makes it a bigger problem than you seem to think it is.

#I'veWatchedUsForYears
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 14:44:06 pm by FezNTFC » Report Spam   Logged
FezNTFC

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2018, 14:42:59 pm »

But this is this season and he has been good. New goalkeeping coach has improved his game overall, still there is room for improvement.
Yes, he did make some good saves on the highlights. But his positioning for the Morecambe goal isn't great let's be honest, he gives him a huge target to shoot at.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2018, 14:52:32 pm »

For us he has started in 12 league games over the previous two seasons and six of those were either side of the Stourbridge debacle when Page was in his last throws of his dice in 2016!
New season, clean slate, we do it for outfield players, have we stopped doing that for goalkeepers?
He's doing well so far this season, hasn't been at fault for any of our results.
People need to be more concerned about what's going on further up the field to place the blame for why we aren't doing so well.
Report Spam   Logged

Ron Obvious

Suffer well.

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2018, 14:52:49 pm »

Yes, he did make some good saves on the highlights. But his positioning for the Morecambe goal isn't great let's be honest, he gives him a huge target to shoot at.

But was he directly to blame or was it the central defence who had evaporated in to thin air?
Report Spam   Logged

Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2018, 14:54:40 pm »

What are you talking about?
Report Spam   Logged

FezNTFC

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2018, 15:30:02 pm »

For us he has started in 12 league games over the previous two seasons and six of those were either side of the Stourbridge debacle when Page was in his last throws of his dice in 2016!
New season, clean slate, we do it for outfield players, have we stopped doing that for goalkeepers?
He's doing well so far this season, hasn't been at fault for any of our results.
People need to be more concerned about what's going on further up the field to place the blame for why we aren't doing so well.
I admit he has had poor protection in front of him in that time, and I agree he's far from the sole reason we're not winning games at the moment. That for me is down to a collective mental weakness with these players. It doesn't change my view though that he's not of the required standard for us to move forward in League Two.

I'm always willing to change my mind based on what I see in front of me, and if Cornell performs and brings us some results I will happily eat humble pie.

But I don't rush to conclusions on players. My view on him, whether you like it or not, is a considered one based on seeing him in action for the majority of those performances across two years, and a set of frankly horrendous stats.
Report Spam   Logged
FezNTFC

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2018, 15:34:23 pm »

But was he directly to blame or was it the central defence who had evaporated in to thin air?
No, hence why I said in my previous post that he wasn't directly at fault for any goals. The defensive line was much much worse. However, I'm still not convinced it's good positioning, and I think it made the finish easier than it could have been.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: