The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 19:56:22 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Tranmere Rovers (h)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tranmere Rovers (h)  (Read 9066 times)
guest3023

Badges: (View All)
« Reply #100 on: September 01, 2018, 17:30:01 pm »

How many chances and good attacking positions can one man destroy in one game? Hoskins may as well have played for Tranmere today. He was there best defender at times.

Can not agree there. Hoskins was decent in the first but was excellent in the second half IMO. Was it offside for the goal he had disallowed?

Crooks had a poor first hour, made countless bad passes gifting them possession and this prevented the team getting any real rhythm in the first half. He played a lot better in the last 20-30 minutes though.

VV had a quiet game but didn't get the right service, ditto Morias for the first 45.

The rest of the team played well:

Cornell:Hhad a very good game (there you go Evers!), was more dominant in his area, made good decisions throughout, and made an important save in the first. Only minor criticism was he kept hitting his kicks towards Hoskins who was playing against a giant at LB who promptly won the majority of the aerial duels, with both Taylor and Pierre telling him to try and not kick it in that area for this reason. However he made a great kick to Hoskins to launch a dangerous attack in the second.
Facey: Very good and assured match.
Pierre: Pretty dominant in the air, think he's growing into the season.
Taylor: Did well but still prone to try a worldie pass which often doesn't come off.
Buchanan: Much improved performance.
Foley: Excellent match, great work-rate, won possession numerous times, intelligent use of the ball. Deserved MOM.
Bridge: Very good, looks to be strong on the ball, good work-rate. On the basis of today he feels like a new signing.
Hoskins: Good in the first against their giant of a LB, excellent in the second. Took his disallowed goal well, forced another save later in the second, had the beating of the LB after the break and put in numerous dangerous balls. My MOM after Foley.
Crooks: Had a poor first half. Terrible pass in the first almost led to them scoring and this seemed to knock his confidence and he struggled to do anything right. Played well in the last 20-30 minutes. An off day unfortunately.
Morias: Was kept quiet in the first half, too many high balls into him and he struggled to win any. Great composure for his goal and this gave him a lift and he suddenly looked dangerous. Gutted about his having to go off, hopefully he won't be out for too long.
VV: Quiet game today, though still showed flashes of class.

SUBS

Waters: Looked lively and dangerous, think he can have a good season and get more game-time.
O'Toole: Did well though obviously needs game time. Made a couple of great tackles towards the end. A match-fit JJ will be massive for us this season.

Austin: Picked the right team and IMO got his subs right. I could understand why he didn't bring on Williams also as it was hard to see who to sub.

Should have been a win, but again I saw a lot to be enthused about this afternoon and feel as confident than ever it will come good this season.
Report Spam   Logged
Lukey

View Profile
Level 4 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #101 on: September 01, 2018, 17:39:23 pm »

Excellent performance all round today, could, should have scored 4, we are looking more organised and coming together as a unit with every game.

Special mention for our fans, very vocal and got right behind the boys today.
Report Spam   Logged

Prejudice cannot be hidden,
Arrogance for the color of skin.
Its ugly head is here again
Racism is lurking within.

"Cynthia BuhainBaello"
guest3063

« Reply #102 on: September 01, 2018, 17:39:45 pm »

All the doom-mongers are back in force.

Since when do people listen to Sammo's views? Does he know everything and is always right. What has he done in management recently?

I would much prefer to see the football on offer this season and enjoy us actually attempting to win a game, long may it continue.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3103

« Reply #103 on: September 01, 2018, 17:48:30 pm »

I can't believe how positive the people that have commented have been so far.

Cornell and Foley the two standouts for me and I don't see much difference from last season and I certainly don't believe the rubbish that Sampson verbalises. The same frailties, the same players with that ambling and lacklustre effort that so frustrates me.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3023

« Reply #104 on: September 01, 2018, 17:48:35 pm »

We had plenty of chances today but didn't work their keeper enough, in fact Cornell was the busier of the two keepers.

Hoskins actually made some good runs with the ball but his end product was lacking as usual, a couple of crosses to nobody, a cross-cum-shot and a couple of runs down blind alleys. Too often knocked off the ball easily by their big full back. We persisted with the long diagonal balls to him though.....most of them he controlled well. His control for the one on one was poor though!

Foley did well in the middle, he's workmanlike without really looking exceptional. Crooks was an enigma, awful and lightweight first half, and much more involved in the second.

Foley and Buchs did ok, Pierre also, Taylor defended ok but passing poor as per.......Van Veen looked knackered and off the pace today, Morais did ok before he got injured.

Pretty obvious they came for a draw, with their time-wasting tactics, although Norwood looked lively up front, can see why he's got 6 in 6 now.

Bottom line is that we played ok despite no one player really standing out and taking the game by the scruff of the neck. Slightly above average but disappointingly couldn't beat a team who were two divisions below us last season.

It wasn't brilliant, but it was a great piece of 'keeping more than anything that left Hoskins absolutely no room for error. I think you're being harsh with the rest of your assessment of his performance. There won't be many players this season who won't be easily knocked off the ball by their LB this season as he was a giant and looked pretty good. Hoskins started to get the beating of him in the second half however when he was receiving the ball to his feet and started cutting inside onto the defenders right.

As to Tranmere, they may have been 2 divisions below us last season but now they are not. Often teams who come up from the National League go on to have strong following seasons, and IMO they obviously have momentum and showed signs that they will be nearer the play-off places than the other end of the table come May.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3023

« Reply #105 on: September 01, 2018, 17:49:33 pm »

Excellent performance all round today, could, should have scored 4, we are looking more organised and coming together as a unit with every game.

Special mention for our fans, very vocal and got right behind the boys today.

Glad to see it's not just me that holds this view.
Report Spam   Logged
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #106 on: September 01, 2018, 18:00:27 pm »

I think I recall a Tranmere fan saying they had injuries in their defence which meant that Monthe who is a natural centre back having to fill in on the left - I think he was there for the taking and Hoskins had the run on him but his end product was awful. A special mention for their centre back McNulty who looks like a pub player but his reading of the game was excellent.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3103

« Reply #107 on: September 01, 2018, 18:04:08 pm »

A special mention for their centre back McNulty who looks like a pub player but his reading of the game was excellent.

Totally agree he was top draw. Always in the right spot.

Also on Bridge he worked hard and looked lively but they had him quickly sussed (the constant cut inside) and he was our least dangerous attacking player in my opinion.
Report Spam   Logged
Wolvo

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 01, 2018, 18:04:32 pm »

Since when do people listen to Sammo's views? Does he know everything and is always right. What has he done in management recently?

I would much prefer to see the football on offer this season and enjoy us actually attempting to win a game, long may it continue.

We're playing significantly worse opposition than last season, hence why we're dominating more games. The results seem just as bad though... That's why we have the negative comments.
Report Spam   Logged

Pink Army!
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #109 on: September 01, 2018, 18:08:16 pm »

Can not agree there. Hoskins was decent in the first but was excellent in the second half IMO. Was it offside for the goal he had disallowed?

Crooks had a poor first hour, made countless bad passes gifting them possession and this prevented the team getting any real rhythm in the first half. He played a lot better in the last 20-30 minutes though.

VV had a quiet game but didn't get the right service, ditto Morias for the first 45.

The rest of the team played well:

Cornell:Hhad a very good game (there you go Evers!), was more dominant in his area, made good decisions throughout, and made an important save in the first. Only minor criticism was he kept hitting his kicks towards Hoskins who was playing against a giant at LB who promptly won the majority of the aerial duels, with both Taylor and Pierre telling him to try and not kick it in that area for this reason. However he made a great kick to Hoskins to launch a dangerous attack in the second.
Facey: Very good and assured match.
Pierre: Pretty dominant in the air, think he's growing into the season.
Taylor: Did well but still prone to try a worldie pass which often doesn't come off.
Buchanan: Much improved performance.
Foley: Excellent match, great work-rate, won possession numerous times, intelligent use of the ball. Deserved MOM.
Bridge: Very good, looks to be strong on the ball, good work-rate. On the basis of today he feels like a new signing.
Hoskins: Good in the first against their giant of a LB, excellent in the second. Took his disallowed goal well, forced another save later in the second, had the beating of the LB after the break and put in numerous dangerous balls. My MOM after Foley.
Crooks: Had a poor first half. Terrible pass in the first almost led to them scoring and this seemed to knock his confidence and he struggled to do anything right. Played well in the last 20-30 minutes. An off day unfortunately.
Morias: Was kept quiet in the first half, too many high balls into him and he struggled to win any. Great composure for his goal and this gave him a lift and he suddenly looked dangerous. Gutted about his having to go off, hopefully he won't be out for too long.
VV: Quiet game today, though still showed flashes of class.

SUBS

Waters: Looked lively and dangerous, think he can have a good season and get more game-time.
O'Toole: Did well though obviously needs game time. Made a couple of great tackles towards the end. A match-fit JJ will be massive for us this season.

Austin: Picked the right team and IMO got his subs right. I could understand why he didn't bring on Williams also as it was hard to see who to sub.

Should have been a win, but again I saw a lot to be enthused about this afternoon and feel as confident than ever it will come good this season.

Decent report and refreshingly short on bias. Mind you Cornell should have saved their goal Wink
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
guest3063

« Reply #110 on: September 01, 2018, 18:09:51 pm »

Totally agree he was top draw. Always in the right spot.

Also on Bridge he worked hard and looked lively but they had him quickly sussed (the constant cut inside) and he was our least dangerous attacking player in my opinion.

I take it you missed Bridge's assist for the goal then?
Report Spam   Logged
guest3103

« Reply #111 on: September 01, 2018, 18:12:03 pm »

I take it you missed Bridge's assist for the goal then?

No.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #112 on: September 01, 2018, 18:12:43 pm »

We're playing significantly worse opposition than last season, hence why we're dominating more games. The results seem just as bad though... That's why we have the negative comments.

No, you and others just enjoy being negative. It goes very quiet on here when we win. Carry on, have a moan if it makes you feel better.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3230

« Reply #113 on: September 01, 2018, 18:15:48 pm »

I thought Cornell was excellent today btw. If he plays like that every week then no issue. Looked confident.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3103

« Reply #114 on: September 01, 2018, 18:19:47 pm »

No, you and others just enjoy being negative. It goes very quite on here when we win. Carry on, have a moan if it makes you feel better.

I think that says more about yourself rather than any substance to your comment.
Report Spam   Logged
memyhead

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 01, 2018, 18:21:37 pm »

How anyone can compare the football we're trying to play this season, to that of the last two season, ain't got a fvcking clue. It's night and day...

We are going out to win every game and creating numerous chances which, at the moment, are not being converted.

Last two seasons the football on offer was utter s***e & I was bored senseless attending matches.

I've thoroughly enjoyed the first 3 home matches this season, bar the results.

We will absolutely batter someone at some point. Keep the faith!

« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 18:23:50 pm by memyhead » Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #116 on: September 01, 2018, 18:22:27 pm »

I think that says more about yourself rather than any substance to your comment.

Does it, in what way?
Report Spam   Logged
guest3103

« Reply #117 on: September 01, 2018, 18:25:32 pm »

Does it, in what way?

That you worship at the ornery altar and struggle with quite and quiet.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #118 on: September 01, 2018, 18:28:56 pm »

That you worship at the ornery altar and struggle with quite and quiet.

Simple mistake to make, what's your problem?  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #119 on: September 01, 2018, 18:29:27 pm »

No, you and others just enjoy being negative. It goes very quite on here when we win. Carry on, have a moan if it makes you feel better.

What’s up mate - you seem in a bad mood? I don’t know about anyone else but I couldn’t care less how we play as long as we win - a scrappy 1-0 would be fine by me rather than an entertaining 1-1. Like it or not the reason the crowds are down is because people like to watch winning football - your not going to get many neutrals turning up until we start winning some matches, you don’t get any points for moral victories.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: