The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 07:43:35 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Wycombe Wanderers (H) Checkatrade 4/9

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wycombe Wanderers (H) Checkatrade 4/9  (Read 5023 times)
Wolvo

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« Reply #80 on: September 05, 2018, 08:27:03 am »

I'd  have thought we should be putting our best team out and getting them to gel. Whatever the competition. When we're sat in the promotion spots, then you can rest players now and then.

But then, does he know our best side?

That's the beauty of our team. The vast majority were here last year, so we don't need any time to gel.
Report Spam   Logged

Pink Army!
defender

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 05, 2018, 08:37:13 am »

another waste of time competition, glad we are out of it.
Report Spam   Logged
The Rauldinho

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #82 on: September 05, 2018, 08:45:23 am »

Some strange comments about Jay Williams. Certainly don't think he was out of his depth.  For a 17 year old I thought he was excellent tonight and looks a great prospect. Very vocal and looked good on the ball. Thought his distribution was much better than Taylor but then that's not hard.

Great to hear, he looked decent for someone so young in preseason too.
Report Spam   Logged
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #83 on: September 05, 2018, 08:55:59 am »

another waste of time competition, glad we are out of it.

Alas not - still got 2 more group games.
Report Spam   Logged
guest48

« Reply #84 on: September 05, 2018, 09:17:08 am »

It's now the fashion to play out from the back, the "Pep" way, and we did it last night. The only thing was that after Ward rolled / threw the ball to one of the back 4 it either got hoofed by whoever got the ball or passed across the back 4 a few times and then hoofed, because Wycombe had marked Shaun McW and JJOT, if Bowditch got it he usually passed it back to the defender and Powell hid behind a Wycombe player somewhere !
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #85 on: September 05, 2018, 09:24:25 am »

It also annoys me and it's not just The Cobblers, but a lot of teams do the same. 
Nice passing to retain possession then invariably pass back to the keeper to hoof it up into an area where you have 50/50 chance of retaining/regaining that possession again.  (or 20/80 if it's hoofed towards Hoskins/Powell)
What is the point?
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Poggy

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Level 5
« Reply #86 on: September 05, 2018, 09:38:54 am »

I thought J.Williams showed some decent composure on the ball. Unlike to many that seem to come through our youth system he appears to have a bit of a presence about him and he's one to keep an eye on.

As for the game, any team with Bowditch and Powell in is not going frighten many defences.

Waters tried but his touch was poor.

Oddoffin had a shocker first half but improve slightly second half.

Wycombe were much better and watching their game management made me realise how far behind we are.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #87 on: September 05, 2018, 09:44:14 am »

It also annoys me and it's not just The Cobblers, but a lot of teams do the same. 
Nice passing to retain possession then invariably pass back to the keeper to hoof it up into an area where you have 50/50 chance of retaining/regaining that possession again.  (or 20/80 if it's hoofed towards Hoskins/Powell)
What is the point?

Didn't really help with some in the crowd shouting FORWARD everytime we had possession. Then we did hoof it and lost possession. Some fans are very stupid.
Report Spam   Logged
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 05, 2018, 10:10:52 am »

Didn't really help with some in the crowd shouting FORWARD everytime we had possession. Then we did hoof it and lost possession. Some fans are very stupid.

Many of our supporters are so galactically stupid that they'd still shout "foooorward" if they were watching a Pep Guardiola team.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #89 on: September 05, 2018, 13:23:08 pm »

I thought J.Williams showed some decent composure on the ball. Unlike to many that seem to come through our youth system he appears to have a bit of a presence about him and he's one to keep an eye on.

As for the game, any team with .......Powell in is not going frighten many defences.

Listening to the commentator last night the one with the Irish dialect - he actually thought that Powell was a must for the first team. He endlessly enthused over Powells attributes especially when running at defences. Whilst not quite sharing said commentators admiration for our world class winger ; Powell did a few runs second half which their full back couldnt handle.  Wonder what DA thought ? So Powell in as a winger, Bridges the other , Hoskins to partner vV in the front two as the 'Les Enfants Terribles'! Trouble is which Powell and vV will turn up on the day!
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
sxcobbler

Proudtobe.

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #90 on: September 05, 2018, 13:59:04 pm »

Well at £10,000 a win or £5,000 a draw for group stage there was a monetary incentive.
Report Spam   Logged

Let's show some Ambition !
guest3063

« Reply #91 on: September 05, 2018, 14:04:05 pm »

Listening to the commentator last night the one with the Irish dialect - he actually thought that Powell was a must for the first team. He endlessly enthused over Powells attributes especially when running at defences. Whilst not quite sharing said commentators admiration for our world class winger ; Powell did a few runs second half which their full back couldnt handle.  Wonder what DA thought ? So Powell in as a winger, Bridges the other , Hoskins to partner vV in the front two as the 'Les Enfants Terribles'! Trouble is which Powell and vV will turn up on the day!

The one with the Irish dialect was former midfielder Dave Savage.
Report Spam   Logged
WasRambo

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #92 on: September 05, 2018, 14:13:57 pm »

It's now the fashion to play out from the back, the "Pep" way, and we did it last night. The only thing was that after Ward rolled / threw the ball to one of the back 4 it either got hoofed by whoever got the ball or passed across the back 4 a few times and then hoofed, because Wycombe had marked Shaun McW and JJOT, if Bowditch got it he usually passed it back to the defender and Powell hid behind a Wycombe player somewhere !

Lovely to watch.... if you have players of the quality that Pep has.

We don't. Whilst I'm not in favour of aimless hoofing, a direct approach can be successful at this level. If, erm, you have the right players.

I'm really not sure what style suits our lot to be honest....
Report Spam   Logged
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #93 on: September 05, 2018, 14:26:13 pm »

Lovely to watch.... if you have players of the quality that Pep has.

We don't. Whilst I'm not in favour of aimless hoofing, a direct approach can be successful at this level. If, erm, you have the right players.

I'm really not sure what style suits our lot to be honest....

I agree, the thought of Taylor or Pierre (or Buchs for that matter) playing tika taka on the edge of our box sends shivers down the spine. We look most effective when Cornell distributes quickly and gets us countering at pace - a couple of times on Saturday he picked his man out perfectly over about 50 yards.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 05, 2018, 14:39:17 pm »

I agree, the thought of Taylor or Pierre (or Buchs for that matter) playing tika taka on the edge of our box sends shivers down the spine. We look most effective when Cornell distributes quickly and gets us countering at pace - a couple of times on Saturday he picked his man out perfectly over about 50 yards.

So did Ward on Tuesday!
Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 05, 2018, 14:43:08 pm »

I did indeed relax, on the chaise lounge at around 6pm and woke up just after kick off. Sounds like I had the best part of the deal  Tongue

Yeah but I am now an authority on Ward - so there Wink
Report Spam   Logged

Humanpunk

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 05, 2018, 15:05:11 pm »

Also agree with most of what Barton says.
Odoffin and Williams looked out of their depth and nervous all night - both still young though so that's forgivable. I'd be a bit concerned if Williams is a genuine backup at CB though and he'd get destroyed by someone like Norwood.
I thought Turnbull actually played well and just wasnt helped by those around him. Same for Barnett - they both dominated in the air too.
JJ and McWilliams both looked a yard off the pace but not surprising with the lack of game time.
Powell is good when he is on the ball and running at defenders he always looks dangerous but his end product is lacking, off the ball he doesnt have a clue what he's doing, and for a big bloke, he is absolutely powderpuff. He certainly bares the large brunt of my frustration!
Waters worked hard and did OK but Williams didn't offer much. Be interesting to see who gets the nod on Saturday - I guess Williams.
I disagree a bit on Bowditch though. I'm not his biggest fan but I do think he is one of the very few players in the current squad who can deliver a ball and does have an end product. He'd look significantly better in a winning/confident team as he needs players around him making the right runs and finding space.

Agree with most of this Oddofin ironically played better away from the home crowd in the second half so maybe a confidence thing (hope because he can't really be picking up a pay cheque based on that first half performance), thought Turnbull looked worth a starting berth, especially when given the off to push forward, WW played down their left once they sussed how poor oddo was so first half Turbull barely got the ball Williams up front no service, midfield were shocking as a unit thought JJ did well but needs games and players around him. Barnett did well with Williams at the back for me (WW didn't have too many chances) but as been mentioned before our play in the final third is so indecisive and ineffective, they look for passes all the time and crossing is shocking, someone just needs to have a go and drive into the box.

Biggest disappointment no one wanted the ball, the only calls I could here clearly was those from the WW players who were constantly calling and giving information to eachother, we were not a team of players but a bunch of individuals scared to have a go.
First half was dire, second half a bit better but DA reluctance with subs was head scratching and for someone who said he wanted to win that bench was light of any forward options. 
Report Spam   Logged
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 05, 2018, 15:57:38 pm »

The reaction or lack of it to the awful tackle at 1.03 in the below tells me a lot about or squad.

I'm not condoning players / benches hassling officials waving imaginary red cards but had one of ours done that, Wycombe would've been absolutely incensed. Our team didn't look bothered.

Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #98 on: September 05, 2018, 15:58:39 pm »

Just seen the goal, a very good strike but the same old story with our defence failing to close the player down and preventing the turn.
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
guest3023

« Reply #99 on: September 05, 2018, 17:30:39 pm »

The reaction or lack of it to the awful tackle at 1.03 in the below tells me a lot about or squad.

I'm not condoning players / benches hassling officials waving imaginary red cards but had one of ours done that, Wycombe would've been absolutely incensed. Our team didn't look bothered.

I think you're reading too much into it. You only get 2-3 seconds of footage after the tackle and most of the players are enough of a distance away that you can't see if they react or not. The player on the far side begins to sprint over as if incensed however.

Also, while it's a bad tackle it may look a lot worse from that angle than it did up close. The ref only gave a yellow after all.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: