The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 05:53:27 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

What if we aren't actually very good?

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What if we aren't actually very good?  (Read 2030 times)
guest3230

Badges: (View All)
« on: September 05, 2018, 09:34:58 am »

What I mean by the title is that DA and the players all seem very keen to point out how good our squad is, how much quality there is etc etc.

Do they need to take a dose of reality and understand that we actually probably aren't very good and are going to have to work bloody hard to get results?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

EssTeeFree

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2018, 09:47:08 am »

I think it is all well and good being positive and confident in your ability but I think we have now got to a point where we need to stop just talking ourselves up. It would probably be wise for players to stay off social media for a couple of weeks as well.

They could probably release a statement as a squad to that extent. Simply say that they recognise results haven't been good enough so far, that they are working hard to improve the situation and that they recognise they need to do their talking on the pitch for the next few weeks at least.
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2018, 09:50:30 am »

What I mean by the title is that DA and the players all seem very keen to point out how good our squad is, how much quality there is etc etc.

Do they need to take a dose of reality and understand that we actually probably aren't very good and are going to have to work bloody hard to get results?

Unfortunately results will show that we aren't actually that good!! The bulk of the squad were here last year, and managed to work their way through a couple of managers and ended up getting relegated. This season we have won only one of our 8 games, not kept a clean sheet in any game but bizarrely our only win came in what was on paper our toughest game!

Perhaps the players do indeed think they're too good for this league, perhaps the manager does indeed think we've got a great squad, and perhaps results will change. But what I see is the manager chopping and changing, doesn't seem to know yet his favoured starting line up, doesn't seem to have the tactical nous to change things or make game changing substitutions, and is at a loss to explain things when they go wrong.

Yes, he's been left with a lot of players tied to long contracts, meaning perhaps his hands have been tied financially. Perhaps its all a smokescreen and other things are going on at the club. But he's worked with these players for the best part of a year, as an assistant and now a manager. Edinburgh, Hasselbaink and now Austin have failed to get any real consistency going.

It all depends on peoples expectations.......most said we'd go straight back up, whether that was automatic or via the playoffs. But then again most probably expected a summer clearout and a transfer window which would see more than a back up right back and a back up keeper being brought in...in addition to two strikers who haven't fired yet!

We are where we are.......and perhaps we actually aren't "very good"!
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 10:04:31 am by GrangeParkCobbler » Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
EssTeeFree

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2018, 10:02:05 am »

most probably expected a summer clearout and a transfer window which would see more than a back up right back and a back up keeper being brought in.

+ 2 strikers but you left them out on purpose didn't you  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2018, 10:03:29 am »

+ 2 strikers but you left them out on purpose didn't you  Wink

Damn...yes.....you're right!! I'd actually forgotten about them!!!

Morais who was injured and missed pre-season entirely, wasn't fit for the start of the season, scores a goal and is now injured again.

Williams who has now scored four goals in his last FORTY appearances.

Quality additions!  Wink
« Last Edit: September 05, 2018, 10:09:44 am by GrangeParkCobbler » Report Spam   Logged

EssTeeFree

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2018, 10:16:07 am »

Damn...yes.....you're right!! I'd actually forgotten about them!!!

Morais who was injured and missed pre-season entirely, wasn't fit for the start of the season, scores a goal and is now injured again.

Williams who has now scored four goals in his last FORTY appearances.

Quality additions!  Wink

Grin

I must admit, although I have tried to remain optimistic and positive I was underwhelmed with our signings. When we got Williams it just felt like we'd signed a slightly younger Revell. With Morais, given that we paid money for him and I feel we'd be better with playing a 3 man central midfield I'd rather that money went on a wide player.

They'll come good though...honest
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2018, 10:31:41 am »

Grin

I must admit, although I have tried to remain optimistic and positive I was underwhelmed with our signings. When we got Williams it just felt like we'd signed a slightly younger Revell. With Morais, given that we paid money for him and I feel we'd be better with playing a 3 man central midfield I'd rather that money went on a wide player.

Do you promise?!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Wolvo

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2018, 10:39:52 am »

Grin

We also signed players Marquis and Toney had replaced at their previous clubs. Damn you Page for choosing Revell over Marquis! 
Report Spam   Logged

Pink Army!
BedsCobb

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2018, 11:03:44 am »

That team is probably as good as we can expect, all things considered so no misconceptions here.
Far poorer sides have limped into the end of season playoffs and I fully expect this lot to be in the shake up if they start converting draws to wins and losses to draws.

Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2018, 12:29:24 pm »

That team is probably as good as we can expect, all things considered so no misconceptions here.
Far poorer sides have limped into the end of season playoffs and I fully expect this lot to be in the shake up if they start converting draws to wins and losses to draws.

It’s a pity you can’t concentrate more on actual field events as this little summary is a top effort and you should be complimented by your critics. What GPC and others forget is just one win will as the great Baldy says ‘we are the greatest’. Fortune favours the brave!
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
cobblergaz59

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2018, 12:44:57 pm »

ADMIN......Someone has hacked Bed's account...not a mention of redev so can't be him.  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

"The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2017"
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2018, 12:48:42 pm »

It’s a pity you can’t concentrate more on actual field events as this little summary is a top effort and you should be complimented by your critics. What GPC and others forget is just one win will as the great Baldy says ‘we are the greatest’. Fortune favours the brave!

"Just one win"?? Are you always so easily pleased?  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2018, 13:08:24 pm »

"Just one win"?? Are you always so easily pleased?  Wink

Its all we need at home to set the locals a'cheering and predictiing Champions by April or sooner. Surely you have seen it all before ! You need to ignore the armchair critics as they are merely false prophets of doom.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2018, 15:54:51 pm »

ADMIN......Someone has hacked Bed's account...not a mention of redev so can't be him.  Wink

Noted... Grin
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
The 12th Marquis of Sixfields
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
Search Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2018, 17:50:27 pm »

We need a new catchphrase and fast.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2023
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2018, 18:05:34 pm »

Shock part of the same management team from last season gets the same points per game as the last season as well 1point per game = relegation.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2018, 18:38:07 pm »

Its all we need at home to set the locals a'cheering and predictiing Champions by April or sooner. Surely you have seen it all before ! You need to ignore the armchair critics as they are merely false prophets of doom.

Oh yeah...seen it over and over and over again!!
Report Spam   Logged

guest3023

« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2018, 19:01:24 pm »

Unfortunately results will show that we aren't actually that good!! The bulk of the squad were here last year, and managed to work their way through a couple of managers and ended up getting relegated. This season we have won only one of our 8 games, not kept a clean sheet in any game but bizarrely our only win came in what was on paper our toughest game!

Perhaps the players do indeed think they're too good for this league, perhaps the manager does indeed think we've got a great squad, and perhaps results will change. But what I see is the manager chopping and changing, doesn't seem to know yet his favoured starting line up, doesn't seem to have the tactical nous to change things or make game changing substitutions, and is at a loss to explain things when they go wrong.

Yes, he's been left with a lot of players tied to long contracts, meaning perhaps his hands have been tied financially. Perhaps its all a smokescreen and other things are going on at the club. But he's worked with these players for the best part of a year, as an assistant and now a manager. Edinburgh, Hasselbaink and now Austin have failed to get any real consistency going.

It all depends on peoples expectations.......most said we'd go straight back up, whether that was automatic or via the playoffs. But then again most probably expected a summer clearout and a transfer window which would see more than a back up right back and a back up keeper being brought in...in addition to two strikers who haven't fired yet!

We are where we are.......and perhaps we actually aren't "very good"!

1 win in 8 games.

However two of those games were against a team from a higher division while playing many second string players, one of which ended in a draw after the 90 and the other lost 1-0 after a worldie strike by their forward.

League form is 2 defeats in 6. One of which was by one goal against the run-away league leaders who got lucky and mugged us after we outplayed them for large periods and missed several gilt edged chances. This was with one of our best midfielders going off early, JJOT playing with an injury, our best right-back out injured, new forward Morias unavailable, Foley unused and VV kept on the bench for the 90.

We've had more attempts on goal then any team in the division (considerably so in many cases) with only Mansfield having a (slightly) higher shots on target record.

2 wins were denied by worldie strikes (Carlisle and Cambridge) that each forward likely won't pull off again this season.

The club are coming off the back of a relegation in which confidence has become low. It's a process to turn this around and winning games at this stage is almost as crucial for this process as it is picking up points.

As to the bulk of the squad being here last year, things are not always that simpistic IMO:

Cornell - Was second choice
Ward - New signing

Facey - January signing - Looked good but then got injured, only really made a handful of appearances
Pierre - Started well but was then injured for much of the season
Turnbull - January signing, inconsistent starter, has only played at L1 level in his career, could make a proper impact this season
Odoffin - New signing

Foley - Left out for much of last season, didn't get a run of games
Bridge - January signing, barely featured, like a new signing
Bowditch - Loaned out for much of the season
McWilliams - Was only his first real full season, inconsistent starter, learning his trade

Morias - New signing
Williams - New signing
KVV - January signing, only made a handful of starts although injured, like a new signing
Waters - Loaned out for most of the season, like a new signing

That's 14 players in the current squad that did not play a truly significant part last season IMO. This was either due to injury, being signed in January or being signed by JED and not being fancied by JFH.

Only O'Toole, Crooks, Taylor, Buchanan, Powell and Hoskins played a significant role as regular starters last season.

Barnett was here for the season and apparently full fit but was not a regular starter.

Only 4-5 of these regular starters from last season will be in the first XI as the season progresses IMO: O'Toole, Crooks, Taylor, and Buchanan. Hoskins may well be in and out of the side when the squad is all fit and settled. 3 of these 5 were part of a title winning squad 3 years ago. 2 of the 5 have also been in the League 2 team of the year in the last 3 years while Taylor was a regular starter for Aberdeen for three seasons under the respected Derek McInnes in the Scottish Prem two seasons back. They should all be good enough for a top 7 side in this league.

As to whether the team is good enough, I believe so. 6 league games following a relegation is nothing, it needs a few more months to allow everything to come together.
Report Spam   Logged
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
5000 Posts Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2018, 20:05:59 pm »

What if we weren’t ever actually very good?
Report Spam   Logged
1971cobbler

View Profile
Level 5 Search Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2018, 20:08:09 pm »

1 win in 8 games.

However two of those games were against a team from a higher division while playing many second string players, one of which ended in a draw after the 90 and the other lost 1-0 after a worldie strike by their forward.

League form is 2 defeats in 6. One of which was by one goal against the run-away league leaders who got lucky and mugged us after we outplayed them for large periods and missed several gilt edged chances. This was with one of our best midfielders going off early, JJOT playing with an injury, our best right-back out injured, new forward Morias unavailable, Foley unused and VV kept on the bench for the 90.

We've had more attempts on goal then any team in the division (considerably so in many cases) with only Mansfield having a (slightly) higher shots on target record.

2 wins were denied by worldie strikes (Carlisle and Cambridge) that each forward likely won't pull off again this season.

The club are coming off the back of a relegation in which confidence has become low. It's a process to turn this around and winning games at this stage is almost as crucial for this process as it is picking up points.

As to the bulk of the squad being here last year, things are not always that simpistic IMO:

Cornell - Was second choice
Ward - New signing

Facey - January signing - Looked good but then got injured, only really made a handful of appearances
Pierre - Started well but was then injured for much of the season
Turnbull - January signing, inconsistent starter, has only played at L1 level in his career, could make a proper impact this season
Odoffin - New signing

Foley - Left out for much of last season, didn't get a run of games
Bridge - January signing, barely featured, like a new signing
Bowditch - Loaned out for much of the season
McWilliams - Was only his first real full season, inconsistent starter, learning his trade

Morias - New signing
Williams - New signing
KVV - January signing, only made a handful of starts although injured, like a new signing
Waters - Loaned out for most of the season, like a new signing

That's 14 players in the current squad that did not play a truly significant part last season IMO. This was either due to injury, being signed in January or being signed by JED and not being fancied by JFH.

Only O'Toole, Crooks, Taylor, Buchanan, Powell and Hoskins played a significant role as regular starters last season.

Barnett was here for the season and apparently full fit but was not a regular starter.

Only 4-5 of these regular starters from last season will be in the first XI as the season progresses IMO: O'Toole, Crooks, Taylor, and Buchanan. Hoskins may well be in and out of the side when the squad is all fit and settled. 3 of these 5 were part of a title winning squad 3 years ago. 2 of the 5 have also been in the League 2 team of the year in the last 3 years while Taylor was a regular starter for Aberdeen for three seasons under the respected Derek McInnes in the Scottish Prem two seasons back. They should all be good enough for a top 7 side in this league.

As to whether the team is good enough, I believe so. 6 league games following a relegation is nothing, it needs a few more months to allow everything to come together.

Great post
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: