The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 08:08:20 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Hiding behind the Vale

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hiding behind the Vale  (Read 8745 times)
Dan

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #120 on: September 15, 2018, 18:02:15 pm »

Based on today, we are going to the National League.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2013
guest2677

« Reply #121 on: September 15, 2018, 18:08:53 pm »

Based on today, we are going to the National League.
A season shy of 100 years league membership.
Someone needs to have a word first thing on Monday morning.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #122 on: September 15, 2018, 19:15:28 pm »

Can somebody who was actually at the game kindly give a report on our performance....please.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Ron Obvious

Suffer well.

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 15, 2018, 19:15:48 pm »

1 shot on target.  Cry
Report Spam   Logged

Breathing will help you live.
Patmore

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 15, 2018, 19:26:33 pm »

Just seen the fairly extensive highlights on Sky app.

- Some really good chances created. Again.

- Cornell’s effort for the first (and most crucial goal of any game) is absolutely pathetic. Again. It’s not well hit, it’s not into the corner, it’s a fairly routine save at the near post for any other keeper in the division. Again. As long as they persist with him this will keep happening.

- We looked incredibly vulnerable against set pieces. Again.

- JJOT has to play. We just do not win without him.
Report Spam   Logged
Ron Obvious

Suffer well.

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: September 15, 2018, 19:39:14 pm »

Make your own minds up folks...

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/competitions/league-two/11499197/port-vale-2-0-northampton
Report Spam   Logged

Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #126 on: September 15, 2018, 19:39:19 pm »

Just seen the fairly extensive highlights on Sky app.

- Some really good chances created. Again.

- Cornell’s effort for the first (and most crucial goal of any game) is absolutely pathetic. Again. It’s not well hit, it’s not into the corner, it’s a fairly routine save at the near post for any other keeper in the division. Again. As long as they persist with him this will keep happening.

- We looked incredibly vulnerable against set pieces. Again.

- JJOT has to play. We just do not win without him.

I don't even know about JJ to be honest - something doesn't look right with him this season, whether it is fitness or something else.
Report Spam   Logged
Irchy cob

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 15, 2018, 19:45:52 pm »

Initial impression is that the first goal was an awful one to concede but is very similar to a lot of the goals that we have let in - the player is given too much room to cut in and isn't closed down and his shot goes in at the near post - we are just not learning. I don't know what Pierre is moaning about with the second yellow and their second is a beauty.
Report Spam   Logged
Ron Obvious

Suffer well.

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 15, 2018, 19:48:00 pm »

I would question the feeble defending from Dave Buchanan myself.

On Jon Joe...Sounds from the RN commentary that he made things worse when he came on giving the ball away etc. Not a lot of point bringing him on today with 10 minutes to go when loosing 2-0 and down to 10 men. We had one shot on target all match and were well beaten by then anyhow by the sound of it.
Report Spam   Logged

Irchy cob

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 15, 2018, 19:53:51 pm »

I would question the feeble defending from Dave Buchanan myself.

On Jon Joe...Sounds from the RN commentary that he made things worse when he came on giving the ball away etc. Not a lot of point bringing him on today with 10 minutes to go when loosing 2-0 and down to 10 men. We had one shot on target all match and were well beaten by then anyhow by the sound of it.

And that's against a team who weren't exactly pulling up any trees.
Report Spam   Logged
Ron Obvious

Suffer well.

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 15, 2018, 19:57:18 pm »

And that's against a team who weren't exactly pulling up any trees.

But they seemed to be able to pull up weeds easily enough   Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

guest3114

« Reply #131 on: September 15, 2018, 20:04:42 pm »

No matter who is in charge this squad is not capable of winning football matches on a regular basis. 4 managers have not been able to achieve it to date and neither will the next 4. DA might be crap but I believe even Pep couldn’t save us now. This lot are shot, devoid of confidence and self belief and as a collective short on the mental fortitude to succeed. Many of us were saying that we needed some natural leaders at the beginning of last season and we still haven’t got that quality. At what point is this going to be addressed or are we once again going to have to be proved wrong by the professionals who believe they know better than the numpties in the stands? FFS this concept is really not difficult to work out?
Report Spam   Logged
Dan

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #132 on: September 15, 2018, 20:30:06 pm »

Can somebody who was actually at the game kindly give a report on our performance....please.

Not very good. That's being polite.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2013
WasRambo

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #133 on: September 15, 2018, 22:58:56 pm »

I'd expect my keeper to save that first one 49 times out of 50. Maybe Cornell is just very unlucky....
Report Spam   Logged
Athena

View Profile
Sixth year Anniversary Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #134 on: September 16, 2018, 07:42:13 am »

On 11th September 1962 my father took me to my first ever NTFC game.  It was a birthday treat to celebrate my 8th birthday (which is actually in a few days’ time) and we won beating Wrexham 8-0 , which remains to this day the higest victory margin I have seen (although I did once see Celtic beat Aberdeen 9-0 but that was not NTFC).. I remember little about the game to be perfectly honest other than the result, I think it was an evening game and that we stood over on the cricket side of the County Ground.  Either way I was hooked and now some 56 years later still have that passion, having grown through standing on The Hotel End, travelling to every away match to now being a season ticket for more years than I can recall.
I don’t think however that in the intervening 56 years I’ve ever been so worried for the future of the club as I currently am, not even in the dark days of the 70’s.  I thought we were awful at Port Vale. Totally outplayed by a very ‘average’ team who nevertheless had more organisation, demonstrated more ability and so much more desire to win which resulted in them having more pace and quickness of thought than us.  I could not help wondering if any one of our 11 would have got into their 11.  In particular the lack of attacking ability is frightening.  I believe we only had one shot on target all game (and was that a deflection?), and in the first half missed two glaring chances form relatively close range by not even hitting the target. If you can’t score then the pressure falls on the defence and they are simply not good enough either. I believe the first goal was avoidable, Pierre who was constantly caught out, fell for two sucker punches by Port Vale forwards and should not have allowed himself to be so pulled in and the defence opened up wide to allow a one-two for the second.  It made little difference as the game was effectively lost when they scored the first.
Where does the club go from here?  I wish I knew. I agree with many of the comments forwarded here.  We lack vision, guidance or purpose.  I feel DA is struggling but also agree that getting rid of him would not necessarily solve the problems.
As I left the ground yesterday I passed a little lad of about 8 years of age, proudly wearing his NTFC scarf (good for him).  I sincerely hope and pray he still has a club let alone a League club to support when he reaches 64.  I won’t be around but my spirit will be.
Report Spam   Logged
corno_ntfc

View Profile
Search Level 6 Linux User
« Reply #135 on: September 16, 2018, 08:20:15 am »

I'd expect my keeper to save that first one 49 times out of 50. Maybe Cornell is just very unlucky....

Possibly.  But (sadly missing in the highlights) is the ease at which County managed to switch the ball from left to right in the build up, I'd called it as a certain goal ages before, as nobody seemed interested in putting pressure on and making it difficult.
Report Spam   Logged

Football WITHOUT Fans is NOTHING
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #136 on: September 16, 2018, 08:29:05 am »

No matter who is in charge this squad is not capable of winning football matches on a regular basis. 4 managers have not been able to achieve it to date and neither will the next 4.
People were saying exactly the same things before Chris Wilder took over as they are now, it’s amazing the transformation that can be achieved by the right manager
Report Spam   Logged
defender

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 16, 2018, 08:40:19 am »

It must have been a crap performance.,
Report Spam   Logged
guest2677

« Reply #138 on: September 16, 2018, 08:47:49 am »

Two really good chances missed by Williams and VV, and then it does look like Cornell is at fault for the first.
Nice little one-two, with the number nine given way too much space for the second.
Report Spam   Logged
guest1269

« Reply #139 on: September 16, 2018, 09:09:34 am »

There was one move in the game that summed up the attitude and malaise of the player - in the vale third on the right of the pitch VV did a reasonable job of holding the ball from a defenders attention and then passed the ball to Foley - instead of overlapping of any sort of movement he sauntered sidewards as if to say I’ve done my bit and it’s someone else’s turn now  - not just picking on him but just an example of players not wanting to take ownership.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: