The Hotel End
April 18, 2024, 22:27:32 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Austin out!

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Austin out!  (Read 9016 times)
ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Combination
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2018, 16:17:32 pm »

I like the look of that set-up and personnel. Only thing I'd do different is giving Turnbull a run of games in place of Buchanan ( Grin ducking for cover) and that would then be our best XI IMO.

I think you're right about Hoskins, 9 league games in and he hasn't scored and has also assisted very few (if any). Someone else must be given a chance, probably Williams in the formation you suggest or if not a straight swap of Waters for Hoskins.
Report Spam   Logged
Madrid Cobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2018, 16:34:22 pm »

I would be in the Austin out camp if we'd seen another display lacking real committment and backbone from the players, but today, allbeit against a very average Notts County side, we at least had all 11 players battling for 90 mins all over the pitch and managed to keep a clean sheet. Long term this is obviously not enough, but it is the first time this season I've felt the whole team has really looked up for it for the whole match.

Not being genuinely up for it, together with our quite appalling final ball and finishing, have cost us dear in previous matches. If we are up for it every match and start putting away even a few of the good chances we create, which we surely must do at some point with the likes of vV, O'Toole and Williams, we'll start picking up a decent haul of points. A new manager is not going to suddenly make players put away chances. Only they can do that. If the committment levels stay as high as today I reckon we'll start to see progress.
Report Spam   Logged
ntfc01

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2018, 17:12:07 pm »

Moultons first class  Grin Grin Grin Grin

Ohh dear . Good one

Moulton Park IS a good facility, whether you happen to agree with it or not. The people that use it seem to think so and they would be the ones that know.

Report Spam   Logged
Clint

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2018, 18:18:28 pm »

I would be in the Austin out camp if we'd seen another display lacking real committment and backbone from the players, but today, allbeit against a very average Notts County side, we at least had all 11 players battling for 90 mins all over the pitch and managed to keep a clean sheet. Long term this is obviously not enough, but it is the first time this season I've felt the whole team has really looked up for it for the whole match.

Not being genuinely up for it, together with our quite appalling final ball and finishing, have cost us dear in previous matches. If we are up for it every match and start putting away even a few of the good chances we create, which we surely must do at some point with the likes of vV, O'Toole and Williams, we'll start picking up a decent haul of points. A new manager is not going to suddenly make players put away chances. Only they can do that. If the committment levels stay as high as today I reckon we'll start to see progress.
I totally concur with your sentiments.
Report Spam   Logged
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2018, 19:45:53 pm »

All this talk of 'off field problems' overlooks the fact that most L2 managers would give their right arm to have our squad, budget and 'set up'. Am I missing something? Where is the firesale of assets and the savage cuts to the budget? Listen to Cowley talking about squad on the opening day. Let's face it: Wilder won this league with 99 points amidst an atmosphere which was far more turbulent.

We are where we are due to poor management pure and simple. Austin's reign has been characterised by poor decision making, both tactically and in the transfer market. He signed Williams and then seemed to have suddenly decided that Van Veen would be the main striker, meaning that we have an expensive and redundant target-man on the bench. He kept Waters when he was wanted by Port Vale and others and now refuses to play him. He spent money on Morais when we clearly lack the wingers necessary to play the 4-4-2 formation necessary to accommodate him.

Money was clearly available for him to bring the wide players/creative midfielders that we desperately need; he chose not to spend it.

Our pre-season was woefully uncompetitive and it soon became obvious that he had no clear tactical system and no idea how to accommodate our three best players - Crooks, O'Toole and McWilliams - in the same side.

Most damningly of all he has done nothing to sort out our miserable excuse for a defence.

And yet I wouldn't call for his head. Not yet. Why? Because as I've said before the level of managerial churn at this club has in and of itself been a big factor in our decline. I don't want to go through yet another January window with yet another new manager who has a 'clear out' which leaves us worse off than we were in the first place.

Austin needs to be asked some stern questions and he is certainly running out of time. However, there is still just about some last vestiges of hope that he will turn it round.

Report Spam   Logged
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2018, 19:57:06 pm »

All this talk of 'off field problems' overlooks the fact that most L2 managers would give their right arm to have our squad, budget and 'set up'. Am I missing something? Where is the firesale of assets and the savage cuts to the budget? Listen to Cowley talking about squad on the opening day. Let's face it: Wilder won this league with 99 points amidst an atmosphere which was far more turbulent.

We are where we are due to poor management pure and simple. Austin's reign has been characterised by poor decision making, both tactically and in the transfer market. He signed Williams and then seemed to have suddenly decided that Van Veen would be the main striker, meaning that we have an expensive and redundant target-man on the bench. He kept Waters when he was wanted by Port Vale and others and now refuses to play him. He spent money on Morais when we clearly lack the wingers necessary to play the 4-4-2 formation necessary to accommodate him.

Money was clearly available for him to bring the wide players/creative midfielders that we desperately need; he chose not to spend it.

Our pre-season was woefully uncompetitive and it soon became obvious that he had no clear tactical system and no idea how to accommodate our three best players - Crooks, O'Toole and McWilliams - in the same side.

Most damningly of all he has done nothing to sort out our miserable excuse for a defence.

And yet I wouldn't call for his head. Not yet. Why? Because as I've said before the level of managerial churn at this club has in and of itself been a big factor in our decline. I don't want to go through yet another January window with yet another new manager who has a 'clear out' which leaves us worse off than we were in the first place.

Austin needs to be asked some stern questions and he is certainly running out of time. However, there is still just about some last vestiges of hope that he will turn it round.

Good post bungle - that pretty much sums up my feelings too.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2018, 21:11:33 pm »

There are a number of factually incorrect statements here .
1. Waters didn’t want to go to Port Vale . You can’t make a player leave if under contract
2. Austin has not got money to spend. It’s not his choice. Finances are frozen.
Report Spam   Logged
Irchy cob

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2018, 21:26:00 pm »

1. Waters didn’t want to go to Port Vale . You can’t make a player leave if under contract

There must have been money for him to buy morias - that's what bungle's refering to and the fact it might have been better spent on some balance on the flanks. I've no doubt that finances have been frozen now that the windows have closed and KT's looking to sell.
Report Spam   Logged
cobbler_rob

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2018, 22:23:20 pm »

Most managers would love to have our budget but not our squad. Those who keep thinking we have a good squad are deluded, we have an average at best goalkeeper, no decent wing backs, no decent wingers and strikers who can’t seem to stick the ball in the net. You can probably blame mostly Justin Edinburgh & JFH for using up our big budget on average players on long contracts, but Austin hasn’t helped either by not sorting some of the problem in the summer

I would sell Crooks and invest in some quality out wide as my first step.

Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2018, 22:36:33 pm »

Good post bungle - that pretty much sums up my feelings too.

Well I don't ; its one long moan. We have sacked 3/4 Managers over the past year and its got us knowhere. Like it or not and perhaps subject to disastrous results over the next 3 matches he is here for the long run or takeover. I would like to assume you do not hope for any disastrous results in the next few games?

Incidentally Mr Bungle some of your assertions are not facts but your opinion which of course is sacred although somewhat  ill informed.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Glastonbury Cobbler

View Profile
2500 Posts Windows User Combination
« Reply #50 on: September 23, 2018, 22:49:27 pm »

MK are slipping down the league; they are below half way now.

Yet still almost double our points tally!
Report Spam   Logged
Glastonbury Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 23, 2018, 22:59:07 pm »

Very good and reasoned post bungle. But just how long do we accept it fine for austin to continually make mistakes and not learn a thing. Id he showed an ounce of progression I would cut him some slack, but I just can't see he is ever going to turn it around as he just looks so far out of his depth. It's enviably going to happen so I'd rather see it happen sooner rather than later. What point do we say enough is enough, we're at 1 win in 12 now
Report Spam   Logged
Glastonbury Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 23, 2018, 23:01:37 pm »

1. How do you know this?
2  You are incorrect as he spent money on morias and as others have said is that where it could have gone. Also wages on Odoffin, Williams and the keeper all of who he now deems not good enough
Report Spam   Logged
guest3114

« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2018, 00:07:33 am »

So have we a good squad or a bad squad then? I think we actually have a very good squad that’s missing a couple of absolutley vital ingredients. Using historical players to make the point, these would be Sammo, Ian Taylor and McGoldrick please. Add those 3 and we would storm this division and probably league one as well IMO. Which, er, currently makes it a bad squad?
Report Spam   Logged
Irchy cob

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2018, 05:50:54 am »

Well I don't ; its one long moan. We have sacked 3/4 Managers over the past year and its got us knowhere. Like it or not and perhaps subject to disastrous results over the next 3 matches he is here for the long run or takeover. I would like to assume you do not hope for any disastrous results in the next few games?

Incidentally Mr Bungle some of your assertions are not facts but your opinion which of course is sacred although somewhat  ill informed.

It is a measured and considered post - not one long moan as you suggest. At least he's got an opinion and doesn't just flip flop from day to day and play both sides of the fence like some on here (and you can actually understand what he's saying again unlike some on here).
Report Spam   Logged
Dan

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2018, 07:40:27 am »

Pretty universally people say give them ten games. Discounting the five that he had at the end of last season and all cup competitions, he's had 9 league games. Mansfield away marks the 10th. Currently on 7 points in League 2, with the most expensively assembled squad in the club's history. Lose on Saturday and it shouldn't be up for debate as to whether he should keep his job.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2013
just.reading

View Profile
Search 1000 Posts Windows User
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2018, 08:42:14 am »

So Junior Morais signed for nothing and is playing for nothing? Or maybe you are wrong and finances were NOT frozen during the transfer window!
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2018, 08:53:35 am »

So Junior Morais signed for nothing and is playing for nothing? Or maybe you are wrong and finances were NOT frozen during the transfer window!
Clearly money was available in the summer, as long as players left .
There were no additional finances available .
Report Spam   Logged
Irchy cob

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2018, 10:56:33 am »

Clearly money was available in the summer, as long as players left .
There were no additional finances available .

I’m just trying to work out your sums - we signed Morias (undisclosed but we were one of a number of clubs after him and posh are notorious for getting decent money for their players), Williams who was out of contract but it is fair to say he’s on decent money, Odoffin who was free and presumably relatively cheap and Ward on loan. Going out I can only really think of o’donnell who left and as we know he went for nothing due to a clause in his contract - the others who were Phillips, Hanley and lobjoit would have been on peanuts. Doesn’t that suggest that incomings were considerably higher than outgoings?
Report Spam   Logged
ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Combination
« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2018, 10:57:49 am »

Some fair points. Not sure you can blame Austin for not finding a system to accommodate O'Toole/Crooks/McWilliams. McWiliams was injured in the first half hour of the first match and has only recently become available again. He is also likely lacking match fitness because of his time out. O'Toole was also carrying an injury in the opening games and has missed matches because of this. He still looks short of match fitness and was subbed at half time the other week. Saturday was the first full 90 he'd played since the opening matches. Considering these issues and Foley's form in the middle it's no surprise he hasn't yet 'found a system to accommodate' our 'three best players'. Apart from the first match of the season though of course.

He bought in Morias and Williams to add to Crooks, VV, Waters, Powell, JJOT and McWilliams. Not saying we couldn't have done with another winger, but I wouldn't say we are short of creativity in the squad compared to the majority of teams in the division.

I think it was a failure not to bring in a first choice keeper, a first choice LWB certainly. Bunney anyone?

I agree that pre-season was poorly structured, I'm beginning to think this has badly hampered our start. His unwillingness to make subs for sake of changing tactics is baffling. He's made 19 unenforced subs so far (possibly less), 4 of which were Bowditch on for Powell! The majority of his subs are like-for-like and/or made too late to expect the sub to make any reasonable impact.

Can't understand why he has persevered with Cornell, Buchanan and Hoskins for so long. What's the point in having Ward and Turnbull? Hoskins has played every minute this season, has not scored and has provided only two assists. With that record why can't Waters and Williams get a run of games in his place? Surely Hoskins would be better used as an impact sub, played through the middle for his pace against tired legs if we are chasing a match.

We showed some fighting spirit on Saturday, which is pleasing. Why though did we not show this in the first 8 matches? I think the lack-lustre pre-season and singing their praises too much had perhaps made many of them complacent.

If he can improve on these issues over the coming weeks then I think he can still turn the season around but time must be running short.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9 10   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: