The Hotel End
April 18, 2024, 23:56:22 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

NTFC Manager Vacancy

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NTFC Manager Vacancy  (Read 10040 times)
AbingtonCobbler

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« Reply #180 on: October 01, 2018, 15:44:48 pm »

Will you. I would never of guessed.

How many times will you keep replying ?
Report Spam   Logged
claretarmy

View Profile
Level 5 Search Combination
« Reply #181 on: October 01, 2018, 15:57:32 pm »

He took Carlisle from the bottom of the league to safety and then a couple of top 10s and a play off berth. He's probably managed more games in League Two than any other candidate for the job - surprised with all the negative comments.

Northampton have won TWO games at home this year. They need someone who can get the team organised and build back the confidence again.

Also like that he wants to get his hands dirty straight away instead of watching from the stands tomorrow and then taking training Wednesday.

Good luck to Keith and his back room staff.
Report Spam   Logged
ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Combination
« Reply #182 on: October 01, 2018, 16:01:05 pm »

I know you said in your opinion but I genuinely believe there would have been widespread outcry if Curle had been appointed instead of any of those three. There wont be as much now because we look like we might drop to non league, if he was appointed when we were a League One club.....well. Don't get me wrong I wasn't overly enthused by those either just for the record.

Not inspired, excited or uplifted by it in the slightest but he's here now so I'm fully behind him and I hope he does well for us.

That's fair enough and you might have well been right. I still think his record is a lot better than all three.

Page had only managed for barely a couple of seasons before his appointment, finishing 18th and then 12th with Port Vale, a job he got after being promoted from Assistant Manager to Manager after Micky Adams had been sacked. He had essentially achieved nothing at that point. I actually think it was his appointment which took away any forward momentum the club had and turned it around the other way. His summer recruitment was so bad it virtually defies belief and I still think the club are trying to recover from it now!

JED had got Newport promoted from the National League, kept Gillingham up in League 1 but was sacked with them sitting 17th in League 1 the following season. While he was a little bit more experienced than Page he had still only been managing for 4-5 years.

Austin had zero previous management experience and had been JFH's assistant during his disastrous reign.

Curle is very experienced having been in management for 15+ years, got Mansfield and Carlisle into the play-offs almost over 10 years apart and only just missed out on the play-offs in League 1 with Notts County, where he had a 45% win rate and managed a 22 game unbeaten run at one point during his tenure.

With Carlisle he saved them from relegation in his first season, got them up to 10th the next season and then almost got them promoted the following season, only losing in the play-offs. During his time there also had a win rate of a little under 40%, which isn't too shabby by any means.

I'm not saying it's an inspired appointment and I know many on here were hoping for Bowyer, but to me he looks a much better choice than the other three were at the time.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 16:53:32 pm by ClarenceInDefence » Report Spam   Logged
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
Search 5000 Posts Level 6
« Reply #183 on: October 01, 2018, 16:06:17 pm »

Shock horror... People call for managers head... Then moan at new managers appointment.  Grin Grin

One thing is for sure. No matter who they appointed, some of you would moan. You're just not happy people.
Report Spam   Logged
Welly Cobb

View Profile
Search Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #184 on: October 01, 2018, 16:20:15 pm »

Some other teams perspectives
https://www.onefootballforum.co.uk/index.php?threads/cobblers-appoint-keith-curle.20690/

I know nothing of the man myself.
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #185 on: October 01, 2018, 16:49:27 pm »

Pretty uninspiring choice....I always thought his teams were ‘boring’.

For me the main ting is we have rushed into an appointment. No interviews, no process, you’re not going to tell me this was all sorted out in 24 hours.

It’s a panic measure by KT, but he won’t be around to either reap the benefits or face the consequences of this decision.

Curle is our manager now and there’s not a lot we can do about it, other than give him support...however it’s clear that the fan base is split on this one, so he’s got a job on his hands already. If things don’t change very soon then he’ll not get a lot or slack from the Cobblers faithful.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 17:05:13 pm by GrangeParkCobbler » Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/07, 2007/08, 2011/12, 2012/13, 2018/19 and 2023/24
Wolvo

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 01, 2018, 16:50:56 pm »

Some other teams perspectives
https://www.onefootballforum.co.uk/index.php?threads/cobblers-appoint-keith-curle.20690/

I know nothing of the man myself.

Seems an excellent appointment considering what we've had to ensure this season. I look forward to seeing us resemble a football team again.
Report Spam   Logged

Pink Army!
AbingtonCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 01, 2018, 17:00:42 pm »

Listen to this !

This is where we are right now
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #188 on: October 01, 2018, 17:06:49 pm »

Just one thing......it was widely known back in April that Curle would be leaving Carlisle at the end of the season, so he was available when KT appointed Austin full time.....
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/07, 2007/08, 2011/12, 2012/13, 2018/19 and 2023/24
guest3063

« Reply #189 on: October 01, 2018, 17:08:03 pm »

For me the main ting is we have rushed into an appointment. No interviews, no process, you’re not going to tell me this was all sorted out in 24 hours.

It’s a panic measure by KT, but he won’t be around to either reap the benefits or face the consequences of this decision.

Curle is our manager now and there’s not a lot we can do about it, other than give him soppier....however it’s clear that the fan base is split on this one, so he’s got a job on his hands already. If things don’t change very soon then he’ll not get a lot or slack from the Cobblers faithful.

I've said this on another thread...Carlisle fans suggesting he held talks with us in the summer before we appointed Austin. Maybe, KT was close to appointing Curle then, so the interview process was irrelevant because it happened a few months ago.    
Report Spam   Logged
guest3245

« Reply #190 on: October 01, 2018, 17:50:35 pm »

Listen to this !

This is where we are right now

I raise you THIS.  You are trumped, you chump:

Report Spam   Logged
JollyCobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #191 on: October 01, 2018, 18:21:37 pm »

Curle is our manager now and there’s not a lot we can do about it, other than give him support...however it’s clear that the fan base is split on this one, so he’s got a job on his hands already. If things don’t change very soon then he’ll not get a lot or slack from the Cobblers faithful.

It's a strange thing, but a few years back when we looked like tumbling out of the league, I was touting Curle as being capable of saving us. Now, though, I'm thoroughly disheartened with his appointment. I guess it just goes to show how my expectations were raised by Wilder's reign and KT's false dawn. And just how far the standing of this club has once again fallen.
I don't doubt Curle is capable of keeping us in the league, but he is, and likely only ever will be, an underachieving lower league manager who plays uninspiring football, but is capable of grinding out results.

Just to add a little caveat: we have all at one time or another touted the credentials of a particular managerial candidate, and on the vast majority of those occasions said candidate then massively under performs. Let's just hope Keith Curle gets the financial backing he needs to build a 'team'...and let's just hope that, after a lengthy career in management, it is finally 'his' time to achieve some glory.

Not my pick. But he's here now.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2018, 18:25:50 pm by JollyCobbler » Report Spam   Logged
Athena

View Profile
Sixth year Anniversary Level 5 Apple User
« Reply #192 on: October 01, 2018, 19:04:53 pm »

Curle, West and relegation.   Three confirmations in one day. Happy days.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #193 on: October 01, 2018, 19:25:11 pm »

How many times will you keep replying ?

Go on TP - all the way!
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
guest3063

« Reply #194 on: October 01, 2018, 19:33:46 pm »

Go on TP - all the way!

Grin
Report Spam   Logged
WasRambo

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #195 on: October 01, 2018, 19:59:32 pm »

Seriously, what did people expect?

We've got exactly who we could get, a solid League 2 manager who should, I hope, steer us away from the wrong end of the table.

Westley, Curle, even Bowyer.... that's the level and record you're going to get in our position. The only difference between the three is personality. If Curle is strong enough to sort out those underperforming muppets then why is there so much moaning?

Personally, I think he'll probably not get us to the play offs but midtable is well within his compass based on all known history. Maybe a little cup run too to salvage something from this hellish season...
Report Spam   Logged
guest3114

« Reply #196 on: October 01, 2018, 20:04:52 pm »

If its any consolation we were doomed before the appointment, and us going down will have little to do with Keith Curle. Collectively this squad is the worst I have seen and like I said Pep wouldn’t sort it out. Personally I was hoping for the candidate most likely to beat them all up before they leave at the end of the season. Reckon that was probably Crappleton and I don’t like him. (That is apart from the one redeeming quality I just mentioned).
Report Spam   Logged
Ron Obvious

Suffer well.

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: October 01, 2018, 20:09:15 pm »

Personally, I think he'll probably not get us to the play offs but midtable is well within his compass based on all known history. Maybe a little cup run too to salvage something from this hellish season...

We have had worse seasons. This beggars the question, where is worse than hell? (apart from Gillingham).
Report Spam   Logged

Breathing will help you live.
Tabasco Kid

View Profile
5000 Posts Spammer 25 Posts in one day Seventh year Anniversary
« Reply #198 on: October 01, 2018, 21:25:56 pm »

This beggars the question, where is worse than hell? (apart from Gillingham).
Luton. No contest.
Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #199 on: October 01, 2018, 22:31:55 pm »

.......................................... - surprised with all the negative comments.

Good luck to Keith and his back room staff.

I am not - some will have an agenda with immediate effect!

Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: