The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 17:23:09 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Head Down Hoskins

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Head Down Hoskins  (Read 17624 times)
Clarity

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
1000 Posts Fifth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #260 on: November 13, 2018, 19:35:18 pm »

Thank you, but I can read. What I meant to ask and what I did ask was how many assists he had.
I'd also like to know what qualifies as a "chance". Like I said, does a crosss that goes out for a goal kick count? Does a shot from the edge of the box that hits somebody near the corner flag count?
Which ever way you want to look at it, he’s done it 11 more times than any other player in League Two. I really don’t get why he gets so much grief when you look at the other options presently available.
Report Spam   Logged
The 12th Marquis of Sixfields
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
Search Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #261 on: November 13, 2018, 19:59:28 pm »

Which ever way you want to look at it, he’s done it 11 more times than any other player in League Two. I really don’t get why he gets so much grief when you look at the other options presently available.
Because seemingly everytime he gets the ball within 8 seconds the opposition have it back. Just because there are no better options doesn't mean this is the right one.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2023
Wolvo

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: November 13, 2018, 20:11:32 pm »

Because seemingly everytime he gets the ball within 8 seconds the opposition have it back. Just because there are no better options doesn't mean this is the right one.

I could cry the amount of times the opposition get possession back from an attacking position thanks to Hoskins. His goals and assists over his cobblers career show he's not a creative force at all and is simply a workhorse shoved out on the right wing.
Report Spam   Logged

Pink Army!
guest1269

« Reply #263 on: November 13, 2018, 20:42:18 pm »

If an assister gives the assisted an opportunity to score, it seems unfair that the assister gets penalised for the assisted's failure to score.

.....but in the somewhat common event of the assisted failing to score, the assister doesn’t actually get penalized but simply not recognized as assisting.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #264 on: November 13, 2018, 20:46:42 pm »

So why does KC play him regularly - if he is so bad? You seem determined to rubbish him what ever the reason. At times there seems no logic in your criticism; applies to Wolvo also!
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: November 13, 2018, 21:03:02 pm »

So why does KC play him regularly - if he is so bad? You seem determined to rubbish him what ever the reason. At times there seems no logic in your criticism; applies to Wolvo also!
The logic is that 31 chances have amounted to 2 assists for other players goals and one goal for himself.
Could you please tell me why he is so good?
Report Spam   Logged

guest47

« Reply #266 on: November 13, 2018, 21:13:14 pm »

.....but in the somewhat common event of the assisted failing to score, the assister doesn’t actually get penalized but simply not recognized as assisting.

So if you are assisting someone like Harry Kane you are likely to get far more credit than a player assisting a lesser striker, let's say Leon Constantine, despite the quality of the assists.
That doesn't seem fair.
Report Spam   Logged
Clarity

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: November 13, 2018, 21:25:39 pm »

So if you are assisting someone like Harry Kane you are likely to get far more credit than a player assisting a lesser striker, let's say Leon Constantine, despite the quality of the assists.
That doesn't seem fair.
Good point, had we got better players his assist record would be better. As mentioned before he is 11 chances better than anybody in the league. I wonder how far ahead he is of KvV who by his own admission has created “loads”of  assists
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: November 13, 2018, 21:35:04 pm »

The logic is that 31 chances have amounted to 2 assists for other players goals and one goal for himself.
Could you please tell me why he is so good?

You are missing the point as I dont think Hoskins is that good. For some strange reason KC feels he is good enough to be picked. What you and Wolvo never do is suggest an alternative either from current squad or a January signing.  At least suggest somebody who you feel will do better. Hoskins position in the squad is probably based on there is nobody better. KC has actually tried other options : Walters, Bridges and Powell but still Hoskins gets the nod. So please explain to me why the almost pathological anti player stance when clearly there is nobody significantly better?
Report Spam   Logged

Clarity

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: November 13, 2018, 21:44:10 pm »

You don’t like him as a player and seemingly disregard proof he’s creating more opportunities than any other player in the division, let alone our squad!  Let’s agree to disagree despite the actual facts.
Report Spam   Logged
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: November 14, 2018, 16:53:58 pm »

Repeating myself yet again, having nobody better is not a reason for having to think a player is good. I think Theresa May is awful, I'm also allowed to think there are no credible alternatives. Just because there is nobody better doesn't mean you have to like the current incumbant. Can you understand that?
Also, I already have a job and it isn't "Being a football scout" so no, I won't be suggesting any Janyuary signings  Roll Eyes

And, for Clarity again, what makes Hoskins any good? He's been the source behind 3 goals this season. Is that really good enough?
Report Spam   Logged

Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: November 14, 2018, 16:57:23 pm »

disregard proof he’s creating more opportunities than any other player in the division,

I've alsked this a couple of times before but with no answer. Just what are they classing as "chances"? Because we can all put a cross behind for yet another goal kick
Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: November 14, 2018, 18:02:01 pm »

Repeating myself yet again, having nobody better is not a reason for having to think a player is good. I think Theresa May is awful, I'm also allowed to think there are no credible alternatives. Just because there is nobody better doesn't mean you have to like the current incumbant. Can you understand that?
Also, I already have a job and it isn't "Being a football scout" so no, I won't be suggesting any Janyuary signings  Roll Eyes

And, for Clarity again, what makes Hoskins any good? He's been the source behind 3 goals this season. Is that really good enough?

Repetitive mantra here; for example I have never suggested or even thought that Hoskins was a good player or even good enough to make the first X1. Your problem is that KC thinks he is! Where myself and possibly others stand is that Hoskins is perhaps the most effective flank player we have at the moment however unpalatable that is. Thats not to say we all think he is there by merit or because we like him ( Roll Eyes ) but more likely by default. It might help if you could reassure fellow contributors that you actually understand that simple concept.  You are not alone in thinking Hoskins is not good enough; far from it. Until we have more choice I am at loss how to criticise Hoskins given all the known facts.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 20:56:15 pm by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: November 14, 2018, 18:03:49 pm »

If an assister gives the assisted an opportunity to score, it seems unfair that the assister gets penalised for the assisted's failure to score.

Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #274 on: November 14, 2018, 18:39:07 pm »

Good point, had we got better players his assist record would be better. As mentioned before he is 11 chances better than anybody in the league. I wonder how far ahead he is of KvV who by his own admission has created “loads”of  assists
Shouldn't someone be assisting Hoskins?
To be fair, they wouldn't actually get accredited with many 'assists'!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #275 on: November 14, 2018, 18:46:00 pm »

I remember being told a story about someone in McDonalds biting into a McChicken sandwich and getting a rather chewy bitter lump with her mayonnaise mouthful. The horror as she realised it wasn't actually mayonnaise... turns out the chicken had assist!  Tongue
Report Spam   Logged
ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Combination
« Reply #276 on: November 15, 2018, 17:09:50 pm »

It's not all gloom and doom, Wolves are doing ok and none of the promoted teams from 16/17 were relegated. Only Middlesborough from the 15/16 promoted sides are not still in the Prem

True, but this doesn't tell the whole story. Wolves are something of an exceptional example as they have a very large budget and have also been working closely with a notorious agent which has led to them signing numerous players he represents who would otherwise be off their radar. The summer before last they signed players from Benfica and others who had been plying their trade in La Liga, one example is that they had Ruben Neves playing for them, in the Championship! They have also signed a few genuinely class players over the summer, some from the current Portuguese European Champions side.

Of the promoted teams from 16/17 still in the Prem, Newcastle and Huddersfield have struggled and are both currently firmly embroiled in a relegation scrap along with Fulham and Cardiff. The only reason any of these 4 will stay up is because there aren't enough relegation places, not because whichever club survives has 'made the transition successfully'.

It's also worth noting that the three relegated Championship teams from 16/17 (Wigan, Blackburn and Rotherham) were all promoted last season (Wigan and Blackburn very comfortably so) and that 2 of the 17/16 Championship relegated teams (Sunderland and Barnsley) are currently sitting comfortably in the top 6.

The gulf between the divisions as you move up the football pyramid really are that massive.
Report Spam   Logged
ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Combination
« Reply #277 on: November 15, 2018, 17:26:56 pm »

That doesn't seem fair.

This is a fair point. However it also works the other way, and I've believed all season that if Van Veen was getting regular, good service, he would have scored more goals by now. I can think of a few examples where he has positioned himself free at the back post for a cross only for the ball to hit the first man or be over hit for a goal-kick. Same goes for Williams. How many 'chances' have they missed between them? 5 or 6?

If Hoskins really has created 31 'chances' then I'm sure many on here should be able to name them, being as that equates to an average of 2 'chances' created every match he has played in.

I can think of 2. Both short passes to Crooks for chances he missed. One against Morecambe in the first half and one early in the second half against Oldham. I'm not saying there aren't more, but they are the only two I can think of.
Report Spam   Logged
Grove

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #278 on: November 24, 2018, 19:27:26 pm »

Woeful
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #279 on: November 24, 2018, 20:26:40 pm »

Awesome
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: