The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 09:39:43 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Head Down Hoskins

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Head Down Hoskins  (Read 17662 times)
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #180 on: November 06, 2018, 12:36:40 pm »

You'd have thought that if Hoskins was that bad then one (or all) of our managers him would have noticed and stopped playing him. Even the poor managers we've had are significantly more qualified than any of you to decide if he adds any value to the team.
For the record, I like him as a player and think we are better with him in the team, than not... but agree his end product is frustrating.

Im not so sure about this mate. If JFH believed that Alex Revell was a winger, then Id argue that Im more qualified to be a football manager!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
guest1269

« Reply #181 on: November 06, 2018, 12:41:30 pm »

Im not so sure about this mate. If JFH believed that Alex Revell was a winger, then Id argue that Im more qualified to be a football manager!  Grin

Good example - made me laugh (but not at the time!)
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #182 on: November 06, 2018, 12:41:40 pm »

You'd have thought that if Hoskins was that bad then one (or all) of our managers him would have noticed and stopped playing him. Even the poor managers we've had are significantly more qualified than any of you to decide if he adds any value to the team.
For the record, I like him as a player and think we are better with him in the team, than not... but agree his end product is frustrating.

It’s such posts above that this forum is well worth a visit. Well written and easy on the eye. I also share Monkeys sentiments on Hoskins; we do need a more capable player in his position time will tell I suppose.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #183 on: November 06, 2018, 13:44:03 pm »

For the record, I like him as a player and think we are better with him in the team, than not... but agree his end product is frustrating non-existent.

Fixed that for you  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Wolvo

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 06, 2018, 16:38:40 pm »

Revell has played right wing numerous times throughout his career (mostly in his 20s mind!).
Report Spam   Logged

Pink Army!
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 06, 2018, 17:12:18 pm »

Revell has played right wing numerous times throughout his career (mostly in his 20s mind!).

OH!!!
Report Spam   Logged

ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Combination
« Reply #186 on: November 06, 2018, 17:23:03 pm »

Hes the best at what he does, we've got. Far better than Waters, who in my mind is a 'poor mans Hoskins'. Didn't see anything on Saturday (again) that changes my mind on that.

Maybe when Morais is fit, Sam will drop down the pecking order. Depends how Kieth utilises him.

I've always been a fan of Hoskins. I totally get why he's marmite when it comes to opinion. As a lively inside forward/wide player who you don't necessarily need to see a return of goals from, I think he does a good job at this level. His work off the ball also allows other players far more space than they would otherwise get. And helps us out when we don't have possession.

He rarely gets subbed so in my mind he is very much in Kieth's longer term thinking.

I don't agree on that at all. I've always thought that Waters is a much more intelligent footballer than Hoskins and IMO Saturday was a very good example of that with Hoskins having a poor game overall (bar his defensive work), while Waters came in for Crooks and was very good, composed and industrious while on the ball and made for the most part decent choices with his passing throughout the second half.

As you say and as I've also mentioned in other posts, Hoskins is in the team for his physical attributes, stamina, pace etc. and how this contributes defensively thus giving more 'balance' to the team, but I don't see as good a 'footballer' in him as I do in Waters and I say that as something of a fan of Sammy's as well.
Report Spam   Logged
Clarity

View Profile
1000 Posts Fifth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #187 on: November 06, 2018, 17:59:08 pm »

You sure about that, he had the right crank when asked to play that one game there under Jimmy?
Report Spam   Logged
Wolvo

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 06, 2018, 18:15:59 pm »

You sure about that, he had the right crank when asked to play that one game there under Jimmy?

Yeah back in his Rotherham days. Probably more to do with his work rate than anything else (Heskey played left wing for England  Grin ). But certainly not the first time he played there.
Report Spam   Logged

Pink Army!
guest2677

« Reply #189 on: November 06, 2018, 18:31:40 pm »

No need to be mesmerized because it is very likely (within a complex subject) he is wrong - no question both nature and nurture play a part in intelligence, but at the risk of being called out for being argumentative there is considerably more peer reviewed scientific evidence to suggest a stronger genetic basis to intelligence than an environmental one.

.......but back to topic I'm with you & until I can see a better player than Hoskins being picked to run at defenders he and the manager who picks him gets my support.j     
Where are you (if anywhere) on sexual orientation then Cobblerwatch, genetic over environmental?
Report Spam   Logged
The 12th Marquis of Sixfields
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
Search Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #190 on: November 06, 2018, 18:50:50 pm »

Tommy Mooney, the lump ex of Wycombe amongst others, once said in an interview that all you really need to succeed in this league is to be an athlete with limited ability. As long as you can run fast and for the best part of 90 minutes you could make a career out of the lower leagues.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2023
guest1269

« Reply #191 on: November 06, 2018, 18:54:01 pm »

Where are you (if anywhere) on sexual orientation then Cobblerwatch, genetic over environmental?

Bit off topic here and frankly I’ve no real idea, nor am I aware of any compelling studies (unlike intelligence or more specifically brain grey matter volume) that would point in any direction - if you are bought up in a tolerant society that doesn’t stigmatize sexuality or within a gay community (for example adopted by a caring same sex couple)  I doubt that makes you gay but much more likely to have no qualms about acknowledging your sexuality if you happen to actually be gay.

I feed the mods will be closing us down as off topic 😀
Report Spam   Logged
guest2677

« Reply #192 on: November 06, 2018, 19:39:50 pm »

Bit off topic here and frankly I’ve no real idea, nor am I aware of any compelling studies (unlike intelligence or more specifically brain grey matter volume) that would point in any direction - if you are bought up in a tolerant society that doesn’t stigmatize sexuality or within a gay community (for example adopted by a caring same sex couple)  I doubt that makes you gay but much more likely to have no qualms about acknowledging your sexuality if you happen to actually be gay.

I feed the mods will be closing us down as off topic 😀
Yeah, there's a good chance they will.
Back on topic, just how poor are Fulham U/21's.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 06, 2018, 23:43:43 pm »

Tommy Mooney, the lump ex of Wycombe amongst others, once said in an interview that all you really need to succeed in this league is to be an athlete with limited ability. As long as you can run fast and for the best part of 90 minutes you could make a career out of the lower leagues.

Rings true as tonight the little maestro played well particularly in the 1st half.
Report Spam   Logged

The 12th Marquis of Sixfields
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
Search Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #194 on: November 07, 2018, 08:14:15 am »

Fair play to him, did well against a youth team.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2023
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: November 07, 2018, 09:02:50 am »

Fair play to him, did well against a youth team.

After conceding two goals I thought they were in for a heavy defeat. They reorganised very well and looked
Competent enough in defence and midfield.Until Abraham’s came on second half they never looked like forcing a result! We defended very well second  half without Pierre and 3/4 young players.  I am glad we kept a clean sheet, won and progressed in the competition. There was also a financial reward for the Club in progressing to next round. They were an improved version of Crewe!
Report Spam   Logged

Monkey

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #196 on: November 07, 2018, 09:35:55 am »

Indeed, you can also replace "run fast" for a forward with "be disciplined and organised" for a holding mid or defender. We have seen many "limited ability" players in an NTFC shirt over the years but its a fine line between fans taking to them and not.

I imagine if you asked the Hoskins haters if they could swap him for Nicky Adams, most would snap your hand off. When we played Bury a few weeks back I thought Nicky Adams was fantastic on the ball - every cross he delivered was dangerous and his end product was as good as you will see at this level. But if you asked me if I'd have him back over Hoskins, I'm not sure, because a Nicky Adams is only great if he has a few Sammy Hoskins' around him.

It's safe to say that if Hoskins had Nicky Adams' end product, he'd be a championship player, but the same could still be said of Nicky Adams if he had Hoskins pace and work rate.

Report Spam   Logged
Monkey

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #197 on: November 07, 2018, 09:37:33 am »

Grin Jimmy aside then... There was however method in the madness and the logic was actually not completely insane - the execution however...
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #198 on: November 07, 2018, 12:53:24 pm »

Well if it was a straight head to head between Hoskins , Waters and Powell last night it sounded like Hoskins came out on top .
Fair enough - keep the shirt
Report Spam   Logged
Glastonbury Cobbler

View Profile
2500 Posts Windows User Combination
« Reply #199 on: November 07, 2018, 13:45:02 pm »

Rings true as tonight the little maestro played well particularly in the 1st half.

That's because this us about Hoskins level
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: