The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 08:33:44 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Head Down Hoskins

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Head Down Hoskins  (Read 17604 times)
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
5000 Posts Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #200 on: November 07, 2018, 13:54:58 pm »

Indeed, you can also replace "run fast" for a forward with "be disciplined and organised" for a holding mid or defender. We have seen many "limited ability" players in an NTFC shirt over the years but its a fine line between fans taking to them and not.

I imagine if you asked the Hoskins haters if they could swap him for Nicky Adams, most would snap your hand off. When we played Bury a few weeks back I thought Nicky Adams was fantastic on the ball - every cross he delivered was dangerous and his end product was as good as you will see at this level. But if you asked me if I'd have him back over Hoskins, I'm not sure, because a Nicky Adams is only great if he has a few Sammy Hoskins' around him.

It's safe to say that if Hoskins had Nicky Adams' end product, he'd be a championship player, but the same could still be said of Nicky Adams if he had Hoskins pace and work rate.

There is a massive gulf between rating him and hating him.
Report Spam   Logged
guest1269

« Reply #201 on: November 07, 2018, 14:26:50 pm »

Anyone else notice him upping the somewhat petulant attitude last night - holding onto the ball after a foul or free kick, body checking players after a decision and lots of verbal - maybe it's a KC thing and maybe I'm a bit old fashioned still believing in some level of sportsmanship - doing it to prove a point against some Div 4 cloggers one thing - but against a team of kids not over impressed.
Report Spam   Logged
Ron Obvious

Suffer well.

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 07, 2018, 14:44:27 pm »

The murky pond where the toads congregate to moan is decreasing in the hot sun of success. Sam is still dipping his feet in at one end and the toads grasp at his feet in desperation. Cornell is waving on from afar with toad essence dripping from his studs.
Report Spam   Logged

Breathing will help you live.
Clarity

View Profile
1000 Posts Fifth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #203 on: November 07, 2018, 16:48:56 pm »

The murky pond where the toads congregate to moan is decreasing in the hot sun of success. Sam is still dipping his feet in at one end and the toads grasp at his feet in desperation. Cornell is waving on from afar with toad essence dripping from his studs.
Wise words mate!
Report Spam   Logged
guest47

« Reply #204 on: November 07, 2018, 20:25:35 pm »

Tommy Mooney, the lump ex of Wycombe amongst others, once said in an interview that all you really need to succeed in this league is to be an athlete with limited ability. As long as you can run fast and for the best part of 90 minutes you could make a career out of the lower leagues.

Yet Usain Bolt can’t make it as a pro footballer.
Report Spam   Logged
ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Combination
« Reply #205 on: November 07, 2018, 20:27:18 pm »

Hoskins has played every minute of every league game so far this season, 16 matches in all. In that time his record is zero goals and 3 assists. One of those assists came from being bought down in the box by the keeper after latching onto a bad back-pass. Only one of his assists came from a cross, which was from a short corner.

That means he's contributed to no more than 1 goal this season from any sort of a pass, cross or shot in open play. In 16 full matches. For a winger who's pace is such a threat and who for much of DA's reign was used as arguably our main attacking outlet, these are pretty damning stats.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #206 on: November 07, 2018, 20:32:58 pm »

Anyone else notice him upping the somewhat petulant attitude last night - holding onto the ball after a foul or free kick, body checking players after a decision and lots of verbal - maybe it's a KC thing and maybe I'm a bit old fashioned still believing in some level of sportsmanship - doing it to prove a point against some Div 4 cloggers one thing - but against a team of kids not over impressed.

21yr old kids! They had some big lads playing for them.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
guest2677

« Reply #207 on: November 07, 2018, 20:39:20 pm »

Yet Usain Bolt can’t make it as a pro footballer.
It's the running for 90 minutes that sprinters have trouble with.
Report Spam   Logged
Wolvo

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 07, 2018, 20:40:46 pm »

Hoskins has played every minute of every league game so far this season, 16 matches in all. In that time his record is zero goals and 3 assists. One of those assists came from being bought down in the box by the keeper after latching onto a bad back-pass. Only one of his assists came from a cross, which was from a short corner.

That means he's contributed to no more than 1 goal this season from any sort of a pass, cross or shot in open play. In 16 full matches. For a winger who's pace is such a threat and who for much of DA's reign was used as arguably our main attacking outlet, these are pretty damning stats.

He was dropped for our biggest win.
Report Spam   Logged

Pink Army!
Ron Obvious

Suffer well.

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 07, 2018, 23:25:11 pm »

Grasp Toady grasp  Wink
Report Spam   Logged

guest1269

« Reply #210 on: November 08, 2018, 06:27:14 am »

21yr old kids! They had some big lads playing for them.

Agreed - many bigger than him but not really my point.

I'm not against Hoskins - far from it and have been more supportive than critical but in this case was simply pointing out a more feisty attitude that at times seemed to me somewhat unnecessary and unsporting.

In discussion about our team you don't always have to disagree or counter  a less favorable comment because it doesn't make you a "better" supporter.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3114

« Reply #211 on: November 08, 2018, 07:07:27 am »

Just an observation and Ive mentioned this before but if you look at the stats you quote and compare them to his stats the season we got promoted they are similar. He was good enough for Wilder and I don't remember many complaining then? Not having a go or anything, but as a result I am not entirely convinced the stats are as damning as you state? I don't think its as simplistic as viewing them in isolation and then using them as a reason to chuck the bloke on the scrap heap . Although I must admit this isn't really a good enough excuse to totally discount them either?
Report Spam   Logged
Wolvo

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 08, 2018, 08:23:43 am »

Just an observation and Ive mentioned this before but if you look at the stats you quote and compare them to his stats the season we got promoted they are similar. He was good enough for Wilder and I don't remember many complaining then? Not having a go or anything, but as a result I am not entirely convinced the stats are as damning as you state? I don't think its as simplistic as viewing them in isolation and then using them as a reason to chuck the bloke on the scrap heap . Although I must admit this isn't really a good enough excuse to totally discount them either?

It worked well under Wilder because we had Holmes, Adams, D'Ath (and Martin at one point) ahead of him, allowing Hoskins to develop as a squad rotational/impact player. As a player playing 90 mins every single week, we consistently see he isn't up to it. We definitely need more competition in the wide positions.
Report Spam   Logged

Pink Army!
guest2995

« Reply #213 on: November 08, 2018, 09:15:50 am »

The usual array of spin and complete inaccuracy from Clarence .
I am no great supporter of Hoskins and think someone else needs a chance , but please get the facts right . Neither Powell or Waters pulled up any trees on Tuesday night and Hoskins was the best of the three.
On another note , Hoskins wasn’t really used by Wilder as a first choice selection.
Report Spam   Logged
Glastonbury Cobbler

View Profile
2500 Posts Windows User Combination
« Reply #214 on: November 08, 2018, 09:56:27 am »

The usual array of spin and complete inaccuracy from Clarence .
I am no great supporter of Hoskins and think someone else needs a chance , but please get the facts right . Neither Powell or Waters pulled up any trees on Tuesday night and Hoskins was the best of the three.
On another note , Hoskins wasn’t really used by Wilder as a first choice selection.

That's part of the problem with quality in that area of the pitch within the squad.

Hoskins is bang average don't get my wrong and if we have serious play off ambitions should be nowhere near or starting 11, but in Powell and Waters the competition is limited at best.

This is an area of the pitch that needs serious attention in January if we have ambitions to kick on
Report Spam   Logged
ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 08, 2018, 12:30:22 pm »

He was dropped for our biggest win.

Yes, forgot about that but in a way it makes his stats look worse then.
Report Spam   Logged
ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 08, 2018, 12:31:11 pm »

Grasp Toady grasp  Wink

I think it's more of a firm grip.  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Ron Obvious

Suffer well.

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 08, 2018, 12:38:03 pm »

I think it's more of a firm grip.  Grin

I don't doubt it, but not on Hoskins unless that's your pet name for it!  Tongue
Report Spam   Logged

ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 08, 2018, 12:43:22 pm »

I agree that the stats don't tell the whole story as to how much a player contributes to the team, and there are facets to Hoskins' game which make him a useful players at this level. However these particular stats do illustrate if there was any doubt how far he is lacking in the 'end product' department.

I recall him being in and out of the XI under Wilder. I remember him making an impact off the bench on a number of occasions and thinking he was a decent player to be able to bring on. I remember him having a strong impact on a number of games in L1, where he would often go on powerful runs after picking the ball up from deep and the opposition tended to end up bringing him down as a last resort to stopping him. I believe he has qualities which make him a valuable member of the squad.

I do believe however that you need your wingers/attacking midfielders to be able to chip in with goals here and there and he just isn't at the minute and that can only harm the team in the long-run.

It will be interesting to see if he is still regularly making he XI as the season progresses.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #219 on: November 08, 2018, 12:46:50 pm »

Agreed - many bigger than him but not really my point.

I'm not against Hoskins - far from it and have been more supportive than critical but in this case was simply pointing out a more feisty attitude that at times seemed to me somewhat unnecessary and unsporting.

In discussion about our team you don't always have to disagree or counter  a less favorable comment because it doesn't make you a "better" supporter.

You worry too much but you said  v a team of kids which of course is not correct!. In fact we had the kids in the team Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: