The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 16:55:42 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Macclesfield Away

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Macclesfield Away  (Read 10781 times)
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #200 on: October 24, 2018, 16:01:00 pm »

Was it a 'great' save? A spot of hyperbole IMO. All the pluses from last nights performance and you highlight virtually the only thing Cornell - who was otherwise a virtual spectator - had to do all night.

I thought it was a great save and a great strike - the support behind the goal chanted his name too; thats a first.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 24, 2018, 16:06:31 pm »

It wasn't a great save no. It was a good save. Totally unnecessary bringing Cornell into it and was totally point scoring from Evers. As it's done though, we were so much better than Macclesfield, I'd have fancied my chances of a clean sheet.

Not point scoring at all, considering the stick he has had to endure on here it was right and proper he received acknowledgement for that save. Most around me thought it was a first class save. Still its all about opinions.
Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: October 24, 2018, 16:23:02 pm »

"Cornell made one great save early 1st half  tipping a pile drive volley over bar from Rose."
You were the one who mentioned Cornell, Fez never mentioned him. Talking of "Old Chesnuts" you forgot to mention the "Were you there ?" favourite of yours, I suppose you're keeping that for the next argument that you try to pick with someone  Sad
And yes, you are ALWAYS trying to point score !!!!!!

Interesting comments you come out with. Regarding Cornell, it was a simple comment no point scoring intended. Happy to apologise to Fez if he wished to interpret the comment as such. If it is ok with you I will ignore your comment on 'chestnuts' Grin.  it simply is not worth responding on.
Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: October 24, 2018, 17:35:40 pm »

That seems to have touched a nerve Grin

If it wasn't point scoring why did you quote my tweet and mention something completely unrelated then?

I don't have prejudices against Cornell. I think we can do a lot better than him, but am hoping he proves me wrong and I'm open to changing my mind on that if his performances dictate that. It's as simple as that and I'm rather tired of making that point.

On the contrary, you don't seem to be able to let go of the fact that I've expressed an opinion - to the extent where I can post a positive comment after a 5-0 win and you still feel the need to bring it up.

I should add that you also seem remarkably smug for someone who posted that Ward was well worth a go yourself Wink

The trouble with emails is that they can easily be misinterpreted - often inadvertently touching a raw nerve Wink My opinion of Cornell is that he is often singled out for unfair criticism when in fact he is doing ok! Its my opinion and clearly we disagree to a certain extent; that is how it should be. Thanks for the clarification all the same.
Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 24, 2018, 17:38:22 pm »

*Nor

One point to me!

quite happy with 'or' thanks.
Report Spam   Logged

Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #205 on: October 24, 2018, 17:54:56 pm »

I have now had the 'pleasure' of seeing 13 goals put past Macclesfield without reply this season!

In just two games I must add!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #206 on: October 24, 2018, 19:15:17 pm »

Cornell is playing better than Adam Smith was during his final season .
No question
Report Spam   Logged
guest3114

« Reply #207 on: October 24, 2018, 19:38:32 pm »

As ever, lots of debate about selections / performances (Hoskins, Waters, Cornell etc etc). Chucking my hat into the ring the biggest selection change and difference since Curlio took over is Turnbull and Pierre. Ever present and easily the main difference between past and present by a country mile, yet has barely been mentioned on here? Baring injury I can’t see Taylor and Barnett getting selected ahead of the current 2 which is amazing considering the previous managers devotion. Would love to know the real back story to this, assuming there is one? If it was simply by chance due to injury then Curlio hit the jackpot.
Report Spam   Logged
The 12th Marquis of Sixfields
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
Search Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #208 on: October 24, 2018, 19:49:52 pm »

Well done all apart from the Highways people who seem to think it ok to shut down large parts of the motorway system of this country at night making for a much later arrival home than it should have been.
Best time to do it though, isn't it?
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2023
ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Combination
« Reply #209 on: October 24, 2018, 19:52:48 pm »

I thought it was a great save and a great strike - the support behind the goal chanted his name too; thats a first.

You do love to pull this card evers!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Another Pedj

View Profile
Search Apple User Windows User
« Reply #210 on: October 24, 2018, 19:58:58 pm »

As ever, lots of debate about selections / performances (Hoskins, Waters, Cornell etc etc). Chucking my hat into the ring the biggest selection change and difference since Curlio took over is Turnbull and Pierre. Ever present and easily the main difference between past and present by a country mile, yet has barely been mentioned on here? Baring injury I can’t see Taylor and Barnett getting selected ahead of the current 2 which is amazing considering the previous managers devotion. Would love to know the real back story to this, assuming there is one? If it was simply by chance due to injury then Curlio hit the jackpot.

Have to agree.
Report Spam   Logged
ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Combination
« Reply #211 on: October 24, 2018, 20:08:45 pm »

IMO Pierre has always been our best CB and for a couple of years before joining us it seems he was regarded as one of the best in this division. We were unlucky to lose him to injury last season. Turnbull has spent the whole of his career before now playing in L1 so should be a strong performer at this level. If Taylor can regain his form when returning from injury then along with Barnett (who I think is under-rated) we're very strong in this department. Probably fair to say Pierre and Turnbull have got their spots nailed on for the time being though.

As to the bit in bold, don't underestimate what a poor job Austin was doing. I've said it and I'll say it again, but I believe that if Curle had been appointed over the summer with more or less the same squad of players then we would be in or around the automatic places by now.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 20:17:59 pm by ClarenceInDefence » Report Spam   Logged
Tabasco Kid

View Profile
5000 Posts Spammer 25 Posts in one day Seventh year Anniversary
« Reply #212 on: October 24, 2018, 20:15:24 pm »

Probably fair to say Pierre and Turnbull have got their spots nailed on for the time being though.
Absolutely.
Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 24, 2018, 20:47:44 pm »

Surprised how many turned out on such a miserable wet evening. Quality of support given was good and the lot behind the goal did their bit in chanting for Cornell,JJOT, vV and also Crooks during the game. We simply overwhelmed Macclesfield(Mfield) with our pressing game,tackling, covering and above all the togetherness of it all. One small incident summed up the 'resurgent'  attitude during the first half. Whilst covering their left winger who was advancing rapidly towards goal, Shaun McWilliams (SM)slipped giving their winger a free run. SM picked himself up and ran after the winger, caught him with a fair tackle and cleared the ball. To give a speedy winger 30+yds and then catch him was rightly applauded. As so delicately pointed out Cornell was largely untroubled except for cracking drive by Rose which he somehow diverted over the bar.  Once we had established midfield and with the defence looking secure we soon established a 2 Crooks goal lead! Then came Powells goal which he took well even finding time to nudge their sizeable centre half off the ball. Whatever KC said to him after the MK game worked as he scored with minimum of fuss. IMO it was the most impressive goal of the night. When Crooks got his third goal(our 4th)  a gem in itself, some of our  players just stood as in shock. SM even put his hands to his head as in "awe/shock". Then they all made for Crooksy in jubilation. As it was a 4 - 4 -2 formation Buchs had a much easier game and looked very much in control . SM at right back was excellent and I hope stays there for the time being. However I can see KC pushing SM into midfield with Facey regaining his place. This brings me to JJOT who had for him a relative quiet game but he cemented the midfield allowing Matt Crooks to cause mayhem further upfield. Foley was equally impressive (as Crooks) and he very much deserved a goal for his efforts. If only Crooks was available for MK! Bridges also did well causing their small right back problems. Looks to me we have found ourselves a left winger cum midfielder of some ability. Williams ran around all night for ever unsettling their defence - he was impressive in that respect. Powell also played his part particularly in the first half but he appeared to tire second. No matter his goal to me was excellent. Waters also did well making it difficult for their full back to disposses him. To my mind there is little to chose between him and Hoskins and it would have been interesting to see how Hoskins would have got on if called into action. Based on last night I would say we may need a replacement for JJOT - hope not but has yet to show the form he had last year. Our left midfield looks solved by Bridges and we certainly need a better and more accomplished player on the right. Two centre backs look fine and very commanding. Like everybody there I enjoyed Pierres goal at the end as we were worth 0-5 lead.  Cornell appears to be adequate for L2 ; certainly streets ahead of their Goalie!  I sincerely hope the result on Saturday does not undo all the belief gained from this victory. One last thing on Mfield - they were simply undone by our ultra positive approach and above all our pressing game so reminiscent of the Wilder era which simply overwhelmed them. Otherwise when given the chance their football was neat and controlled.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 22:21:29 pm by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 24, 2018, 20:51:34 pm »

I've said it and I'll say it again, but I believe that if Curle had been appointed over the summer with more or less the same squad of players then we would be in or around the automatic places by now.

Grin deja vu Maestro deja vu  Cool
« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 20:58:56 pm by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

Tabasco Kid

View Profile
5000 Posts Spammer 25 Posts in one day Seventh year Anniversary
« Reply #215 on: October 24, 2018, 22:12:35 pm »

Surprised how many turned out on such a miserable wet evening. Quality of support given was good and the lot behind the goal did their bit in chanting for Cornell,JJOT, vV and also Crooks during the game. We simply overwhelmed Macclesfield(Mfield) with our pressing game,tackling, covering and above all the togetherness of it all. One small incident summed up the 'resurgent'  attitude during the first half. Whilst covering their left winger who was advancing rapidly towards goal, Shaun McWilliams (SM)slipped giving their winger a free run. SM picked himself up and ran after the winger, caught him with a fair tackle and cleared the ball. To give a speedy winger 30+yds and then catch him was rightly applauded. As so delicately pointed out Cornell was largely untroubled except for cracking drive by Rose which he somehow diverted over the bar.  Once we had established midfield and with the defence looking secure we soon established a 2 Crooks goal lead! Then came Powells goal which he took well even finding time to nudge their sizeable centre half off the ball. Whatever KC said to him after the MK game worked as he scored with minimum of fuss. IMO it was the most impressive goal of the night. When Crooks got his third goal(our 4th)  a gem in itself, some of our  players just stood as in shock. SM even put his hands to his head as in "awe/shock". Then they all made for Crooksy in jubilation. As it was a 4 - 4 -2 formation Buchs had a much easier game and looked very much in control . SM at right back was excellent and I hope stays there for the time being. However I can see KC pushing SM into midfield with Facey regaining his place. This brings me to JJOT who had for him a relative quiet game but he cemented the midfield allowing Matt Crooks to cause mayhem further upfield. Foley was equally impressive (as Crooks) and he very much deserved a goal for his efforts. If only Crooks was available for MK! Bridges also did well causing their small left back problems. Looks to me we have found ourselves a left winger cum midfielder of some ability. Williams ran around all night for ever unsettling their defence - he was impressive in that respect. Powell also played his part particularly in the first half but he appeared to tire second. No matter his goal to me was excellent. Waters also did well making it difficult for their full back to disposses him. To my mind there is little to chose between him and Hoskins and it would have been interesting to see how Hoskins would have got on if called into action. Based on last night I would say we may need a replacement for JJOT - hope not but has yet to show the form he had last year. Our left midfield looks solved by Bridges and we certainly need a better and more accomplished player on the right. Two centre backs look fine and very commanding. Like everybody there I enjoyed Pierres goal at the end as we were worth 0-5 lead.  Cornell appears to be adequate for L2 ; certainly streets ahead of their Goalie!  I sincerely hope the result on Saturday does not undo all the belief gained from this victory. One last thing on Mfield - they were simply undone by our ultra positive approach and above all our pressing game so reminiscent of the Wilder era which simply overwhelmed them. Otherwise when given the chance their football was neat and controlled.
An impressive post. How long did that take?
Report Spam   Logged

Were in the pipe 5 by 5.
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 24, 2018, 22:23:55 pm »

An impressive post. How long did that take?

20/25 mins
Report Spam   Logged

guest3114

« Reply #217 on: October 25, 2018, 01:08:00 am »

Surprised how many turned out on such a miserable wet evening. Quality of support given was good and the lot behind the goal did their bit in chanting for Cornell,JJOT, vV and also Crooks during the game. We simply overwhelmed Macclesfield(Mfield) with our pressing game,tackling, covering and above all the togetherness of it all. One small incident summed up the 'resurgent'  attitude during the first half. Whilst covering their left winger who was advancing rapidly towards goal, Shaun McWilliams (SM)slipped giving their winger a free run. SM picked himself up and ran after the winger, caught him with a fair tackle and cleared the ball. To give a speedy winger 30+yds and then catch him was rightly applauded. As so delicately pointed out Cornell was largely untroubled except for cracking drive by Rose which he somehow diverted over the bar.  Once we had established midfield and with the defence looking secure we soon established a 2 Crooks goal lead! Then came Powells goal which he took well even finding time to nudge their sizeable centre half off the ball. Whatever KC said to him after the MK game worked as he scored with minimum of fuss. IMO it was the most impressive goal of the night. When Crooks got his third goal(our 4th)  a gem in itself, some of our  players just stood as in shock. SM even put his hands to his head as in "awe/shock". Then they all made for Crooksy in jubilation. As it was a 4 - 4 -2 formation Buchs had a much easier game and looked very much in control . SM at right back was excellent and I hope stays there for the time being. However I can see KC pushing SM into midfield with Facey regaining his place. This brings me to JJOT who had for him a relative quiet game but he cemented the midfield allowing Matt Crooks to cause mayhem further upfield. Foley was equally impressive (as Crooks) and he very much deserved a goal for his efforts. If only Crooks was available for MK! Bridges also did well causing their small right back problems. Looks to me we have found ourselves a left winger cum midfielder of some ability. Williams ran around all night for ever unsettling their defence - he was impressive in that respect. Powell also played his part particularly in the first half but he appeared to tire second. No matter his goal to me was excellent. Waters also did well making it difficult for their full back to disposses him. To my mind there is little to chose between him and Hoskins and it would have been interesting to see how Hoskins would have got on if called into action. Based on last night I would say we may need a replacement for JJOT - hope not but has yet to show the form he had last year. Our left midfield looks solved by Bridges and we certainly need a better and more accomplished player on the right. Two centre backs look fine and very commanding. Like everybody there I enjoyed Pierres goal at the end as we were worth 0-5 lead.  Cornell appears to be adequate for L2 ; certainly streets ahead of their Goalie!  I sincerely hope the result on Saturday does not undo all the belief gained from this victory. One last thing on Mfield - they were simply undone by our ultra positive approach and above all our pressing game so reminiscent of the Wilder era which simply overwhelmed them. Otherwise when given the chance their football was neat and controlled.
Always enjoy posts from those there Evers. The McWilliams recovery was picked up and highlighted on Noddy as an example of the attitude on the night, which had the excellent Smithy as summariser. On JJ, he has been off this season, but he will bounce back. Occasional short term loss of form is enevitable at any level, but the trick is to have others that are on fire at the same time. I have no doubt the real JJ will rise like a Phoenix within the next couple of games. As I always say, form temporary, class permanent Evers.
Report Spam   Logged
Wolvo

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: October 25, 2018, 09:20:17 am »

As ever, lots of debate about selections / performances (Hoskins, Waters, Cornell etc etc). Chucking my hat into the ring the biggest selection change and difference since Curlio took over is Turnbull and Pierre. Ever present and easily the main difference between past and present by a country mile, yet has barely been mentioned on here?

I believe many people were calling for Turnbull to replace Taylor for weeks. This is probably why it hasn't been praised as much as it should have.
Report Spam   Logged

Pink Army!
Wolvo

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 25, 2018, 09:23:22 am »

Cornell is playing better than Adam Smith was during his final season .
No question

Its definitely harder going up divisions than it is going down. Cornell looks absolutely well suited to League Two this season after a shakey opening few games. I was very pleased his mistake at MK didn't result in a goal because I get the impression he's a confidence type player.
Report Spam   Logged

Pink Army!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: