The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 10:39:52 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Crewed.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crewed.  (Read 7429 times)
Coolcat

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #80 on: November 03, 2018, 22:27:38 pm »

This is the first time I’ve commented on the ‘Cornell’ debate but after today I have no reservations with him as our number 1.  He read the game well, was assured thoroughout, rushed out to clear when necessary and held onto that amazing save 2nd half which many keepers would have either missed or spilled
Yes, another assured, confident performance!

So, to all you chaps in the North Stand... brilliant atmosphere!
We were singing as usual in the West Upper, but North loud and proud for much of the game.
It's rare up and down the country to find fans singing in more than one section... Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Mr Jellyby

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 03, 2018, 22:39:44 pm »

It's a refreshing change to have such a pragmatic manager after the naive idealism of recent incumbents.

The defenders have clearly been instructed to launch it into the channels at every opportunity. Not pretty and, by Curle's own admission not always effective, but it does result in simplicity and clarity which I think is what players at this level need. I'd certainly rather watch that than Crewe's painful attempts to play it out from the back which Curle managed to disrupt with ease.

The foundation is much more solid now which means that the league one quality provided by the likes of Van Veen and Crooks is much more telling.

Personally I'd be starting Powell on current form. Hoskins provides more defensive cover, which I think is why he keeps getting the nod, but Powell carries much more of a goal threat.

But to be fair , they was leaving acres in behind so why not hit the space . There was an air of Boothroyd around today wasn't there . What with Nichols , Artell and smashing long balls
It's pragmatic stuff and pragamatisism is a handy trait to have as a Cobbler
Report Spam   Logged
guest47

« Reply #82 on: November 03, 2018, 22:48:43 pm »

But to be fair , they was leaving acres in behind so why not hit the space . There was an air of Boothroyd around today wasn't there . What with Nichols , Artell and smashing long balls
It's pragmatic stuff and pragamatisism is a handy trait to have as a Cobbler

Exactly, people were calling defenders to get rid. If there's no-one ahead of you then you just have to hit it into space.
Report Spam   Logged
Dan

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #83 on: November 03, 2018, 22:59:02 pm »

We were singing as usual in the West Upper, but North loud and proud for much of the game.
It's rare up and down the country to find fans singing in more than one section
... Wink

Thanks for the kind words  Cool Kiss Have very little voice tonight. The North today was brilliant. You guys didn't do too shabby yourselves.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2013
Ron Obvious

Suffer well.

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 03, 2018, 23:54:17 pm »

Interesting, reading back the Crewe Twitter feed from today's game that they felt our pitch was poor and bobbly . I look forward to seeing their bowling green later in the season  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

Breathing will help you live.
crazycobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #85 on: November 04, 2018, 00:43:06 am »

Decent performance against a poor Crewe side in all honesty. I can see why they were easily beaten by Mansfield midweek. Thought we controlled the game fairly well for long periods and limited them to very few chances. Back four were very good today, particularly Odoffin and Turnbull. Midfield looked assured if not spectacular. McWilliams’ energy and willingness to run will be vital whilst Foley is absent. Still unsure as to how Hoskins starts but hopefully Powell’s cameo will give KC food for thought. Andy Williams was excellent and seems to be really enjoying playing under the new boss. Thought Van Veen was extremely fortunate to avoid at least a booking for the off the ball incident at the end. From what I saw, Artell was completely right to feel aggrieved.

Overall a professional performance and another clean sheet. Long may the good form continue!
Report Spam   Logged
The 12th Marquis of Sixfields
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
Search Mobile User Level 6
« Reply #86 on: November 04, 2018, 03:38:07 am »

Huge fan of us spotting that they don't really like being pressured much, their goalkeeper especially, and therefore not giving them 2 seconds to think about anything particularly just after half time. Created a good few chances there. Old Keith might just work out alright for us, you know.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2023
Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 04, 2018, 03:40:56 am »

It's rare up and down the country to find fans singing in more than one section... Wink
i did wonder to my mate if they'd all been on the sauce this afternoon. Any reason why it was seemingly designated sing a song Saturday?
Report Spam   Logged

Winning Is For Losers
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 04, 2018, 03:40:57 am »

i did wonder to my mate if they'd all been on the sauce this afternoon. Any reason why it was seemingly designated sing a song Saturday?
Report Spam   Logged

Dan

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #89 on: November 04, 2018, 06:45:24 am »

We'd sampled one or two jars but nothing out of the ordinary. Think we just like seeing players giving their all week after week and controlling a game with such ease  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2013
WadeyCobbler

View Profile
Mobile User Windows User Combination
« Reply #90 on: November 04, 2018, 07:01:31 am »

A comfortable, strong and assured performance getting the job done with ruthless efficiency. Curle is proving to be an astute manager. Atmosphere was good from the off, despite the quiet away fans. I sit towards South end and also thought the North Stand was louder than usual. Good to hear.
It's a shame to have a break from the league now and we also have more away matches than home in the next month. It will be a good test as to how far we have come.
Report Spam   Logged
ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Combination
« Reply #91 on: November 04, 2018, 08:54:12 am »

Not the best spectacle but we are in danger of looking like a decent side at this level. Could and maybe should have won more convincingly today.

If we can get to January in the top half and fix the still glaring lack of quality out wide, we may yet be able to salvage something from this season.

We'll be in the top half by December at this rate  Wink

Professional performance from the whole team yesterday, always looked comfortable for a, dare I say 'routine' 3 points.

Pierre/Turnbull again looking very strong; decent performance by Odoffin; VV showing touches of class; Williams putting in a shift, took his goal well and seems to be growing in confidence; JJOT continuing to raise his performance levels, unlucky not to score and good work in the lead up to the second; Waters good in the second after coming on for Crooks; Powell showing confidence with the way he took his goal; team as a whole showing signs of continuing to improve their 'game-management' which is very encouraging and overall giving an all round solid team performance.

Only negative was Crooks going off injured, hope it's nothing too serious, we've got too many injuries already!
Report Spam   Logged
Cordwainer2

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #92 on: November 04, 2018, 11:05:10 am »

Just read the Football League paper. Full page report most of which is Artell's rant. Odoffin in team of the week. We are 2nd over last 6 games.
Report Spam   Logged
FezNTFC

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #93 on: November 04, 2018, 11:34:31 am »

A pretty comfortable win, a bit like Oldham last week I was never worried .

I think two things that have been more noticeable under Curle is the amount of individual errors from players has significantly reduced. We're not complicating things, if the ball needs to be cleared up the pitch we get on with it rather than risking a pass that's not on or being caught in possession, as their midfielder was for Powell's goal. It's not kick and rush, but we pick and choose the moments when to play the prettier football and more often than not are getting them right.

We are also much more streetwise. I don't particularly like to see teams use the dark arts, but at times over the last 18 months I feel like we've helped the opposition out far more than we needed to. Just little things like KvV sprinting to the other side of the pitch when he was about to be substituted last week, or Cornell bellowing at Turnbull not to fetch the ball when it had gone out behind the North Stand yesterday. They are not match changing, they are not even particularly admirable. But it's about finding any little advantage we can get at the moment and letting the opposition know that we're no longer a pushover, and it gives me every confidence that we have a switched on manager at the helm.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 11:36:42 am by FezNTFC » Report Spam   Logged
Another Pedj

View Profile
Search Apple User Windows User
« Reply #94 on: November 04, 2018, 12:28:32 pm »

Several things are better but for me the most significant is  the 2 centre backs.
Report Spam   Logged
AbingtonCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 04, 2018, 13:10:26 pm »

Another win.  I could get used to this.

Win dirty win pretty who cares.  Points makes prizes.

Nice to see us being physical and giving other teams a duffing
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 13:29:07 pm by AbingtonCobbler » Report Spam   Logged
Vintage Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 04, 2018, 14:48:28 pm »

Several things are better but for me the most significant is  the 2 centre backs.

Agree 100%. Whole defence looks a lot sounder since KC arrived but a mention for Odoffin who did very well yesterday.

I thought midfield struggled yesterday with JJOt & McWilliams well off their best. Crooks was also failing to make any impact when he got injured but we need him to be back at Lincoln.

Up front VV had an outstanding first half, Williams worked hard and Hoskins was the usual Hoskins, lots of effort but no end product. Put bluntly he needs to be replaced but you can't fault his effort.
Report Spam   Logged
Poggy

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Level 5
« Reply #97 on: November 04, 2018, 15:35:46 pm »

It's superb to read the sour opposition comments after the match. It must mean we are doing something right and long may it continue
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #98 on: November 04, 2018, 19:13:31 pm »

An efficient performance, and a very comfortable win.

If Crewe had actually tried to attack us...like they did the moment the 2nd goal went in...the game could have been very different. I thank them for that!

Add a winger to the team in January and a return to league1 could be a possibility. If of course we get to January a maximum of 5 points away from being in the mix.

Concrete Dolphin had another very good game; Im really starting to like him.
Report Spam   Logged
St Edmundsbury Cobbler

View Profile
Level 6 Search Windows User
« Reply #99 on: November 04, 2018, 20:15:26 pm »

I thought Keith's comments about Crewe playing football was very kind. They didn't do anything with the ball when they had it and were generally very poor. As for Artell's comments, I'm struggling to see where the fouls was in the build up to the first goal and as for they were side looking like scoring before our second, he needs to clean his glasses.

I felt we looked very comfortable and if we had moved up a gear we could have put four or five past them. Th  side looked confident and assured. Good win, great three points and it's a pleasure going to games again.
Report Spam   Logged

2022/23 Prediction League Champion
2022/23 Guess The Attendance Champion

Claret & White - Nothing Else Matters
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: