The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 08:51:16 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Exeter City (a)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Exeter City (a)  (Read 8391 times)
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #100 on: November 20, 2018, 17:50:48 pm »

I will have a wager now nevers that if curle is progestogen as I think he is and thinks come 31st December we have a realistic chance if making the play off come may.

Then Cornell will not be our number 1 keeper come 1st Feb.

The only thing that may prevent this from happening is if deeper more expensive surgery is required across the pitch that takes priority and budget first.

One thing is for certain whilst we have a team with Cornell,  Hoskins,  Waters and powell making the first 11 we will be nowhere near the play off contenders we want to be.

Since Curle has come in, the league record reads P8 W4 D3 L1. With cup games its P11 W6 D 3 L2.

Some/much of that could be short term 'new manager impact', BUT it *might* not be. It *might be that a manager of ours has finally worked out how to manage this current crop.

During this period, the players you mention have all been involved, 2 I believe have started every league game.

So I cant see now you can state 'that its certain that we wont be play off contenders'? Thats your opinion, and whilst I agree to a degree with the sentiment of it, recent form suggests otherwise.

We've another 8 games to play before the window opens. A lot can happen in that time. As things stand, Id say a winger or two would be the top priorities. Or 'wide midfielders'. (Beckham was a wide midfielder but wasn't a winger).  Whatever, lack of width is the stand out option we are lacking in the current squad.

Buchs needs some competition (at the very least), a left back would be number 3 on my list. (1 and 2 would be wide midfielder).

Number4 would be tough tackling midfielder. We've really missed one since Foley has been out and JJ isn't cutting it at the moment.

Another keeper would be way down on my list, but like I say, that could change. BUT. If Cornell keeps up his form then he should remain in goal as far as Im concerned!

Report Spam   Logged
Glastonbury Cobbler

View Profile
2500 Posts Windows User Combination
« Reply #101 on: November 20, 2018, 18:21:46 pm »

Since Curle has come in, the league record reads P8 W4 D3 L1. With cup games its P11 W6 D 3 L2.

Some/much of that could be short term 'new manager impact', BUT it *might* not be. It *might be that a manager of ours has finally worked out how to manage this current crop.

During this period, the players you mention have all been involved, 2 I believe have started every league game.

So I cant see now you can state 'that its certain that we wont be play off contenders'? Thats your opinion, and whilst I agree to a degree with the sentiment of it, recent form suggests otherwise.

We've another 8 games to play before the window opens. A lot can happen in that time. As things stand, Id say a winger or two would be the top priorities. Or 'wide midfielders'. (Beckham was a wide midfielder but wasn't a winger).  Whatever, lack of width is the stand out option we are lacking in the current squad.

Buchs needs some competition (at the very least), a left back would be number 3 on my list. (1 and 2 would be wide midfielder).

Number4 would be tough tackling midfielder. We've really missed one since Foley has been out and JJ isn't cutting it at the moment.

Another keeper would be way down on my list, but like I say, that could change. BUT. If Cornell keeps up his form then he should remain in goal as far as Im concerned!

Agree to a degree with what you are saying and yes curle is getting the best out of what we have I agree totally with that. That is miles short of where Mk Dons and Lincoln for example are and someway IMO short of where exeter currently who could and should have beaten us again IMO.

That's tge problem tge current crop us at best mid to bottom half league 2 imo. Imo opinion if we want to kick on we need upgrades in areas across the pitch, Firstly and priority falls wide areas as you rightly say and tough tackling midfielder next as you say. Then the goalkeeper and fully back areas.

The basis is there and KC has done an amazing job with working with what he has. But you compare the exeter team with ours and hoskins, Waters,  Powell and Cornell umoungst others would not get in a best 11 of tge two sides based on Saturdays game alone
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #102 on: November 20, 2018, 18:24:41 pm »

I am missing nothing I can assure you. You commented on the players hair and where they wear their socks.

A hairstyle or socks don't define a players ability or willingness to get stuck in when needed in a controlled manner or prevent them from being competitive or spirited.  I would have to say that from recent (ish) times Chris Hargreaves is still my favorite cobblers player. He was combative but still managed to keep his socks up and maintain a long flowing main of hair (even in a ponytail sometimes).

You see, it's actually you that missed the point.  Grin

It’s a common failing that people listen to what they want to hear rather than to what is being said .
It’s a simple point really and I’m surprised it takes so long to grasp .
No one is saying that a player with long hair can’t be aggressive or one with socks over his knees can’t show the right attitude .
It’s when they are pre occupied with this that it is an issue , particularly in division 2 . You need men not boys.
And with this comment I end the matter.

Report Spam   Logged
guest3245

« Reply #103 on: November 20, 2018, 20:19:34 pm »

It remains the case that, at the start of the season, in mid-season, and at end-of-season reflections, a point at Exeter is a good result.
Report Spam   Logged
Ron Obvious

Suffer well.

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 20, 2018, 20:31:13 pm »

With these comments I start the matter again.  Kiss

No one is saying that a player with long hair can’t be aggressive or one with socks over his knees can’t show the right attitude .It’s when they are pre occupied with this that it is an issue , particularly in division 2 . You need men not boys.

Do we have any players who are pre occupied with their socks or hair then?

Here is a poser for you..hypothetical of course.

I'd say Neymar is a little over concerned about his hair with a new style every other game and he can more often than not be seen with his socks over his knees. He comes across to me as a childish and theatrical player. If you were in charge would you sign him for us on a free transfer and a normal wage to play in L2?  

Report Spam   Logged

Breathing will help you live.
ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Combination
« Reply #105 on: November 20, 2018, 20:51:38 pm »

Agree to a degree with what you are saying and yes curle is getting the best out of what we have I agree totally with that. That is miles short of where Mk Dons and Lincoln for example are and someway IMO short of where exeter currently who could and should have beaten us again IMO.

That's tge problem tge current crop us at best mid to bottom half league 2 imo. Imo opinion if we want to kick on we need upgrades in areas across the pitch, Firstly and priority falls wide areas as you rightly say and tough tackling midfielder next as you say. Then the goalkeeper and fully back areas.

The basis is there and KC has done an amazing job with working with what he has. But you compare the exeter team with ours and hoskins, Waters,  Powell and Cornell umoungst others would not get in a best 11 of tge two sides based on Saturdays game alone

I just can't agree that our current squad is mid to bottom half of L2 standard, IMO that is just nonsense. I firmly believe we are a top 7 squad with a couple of glaring deficiencies (which should have been rectified over the summer) which are easily fixable in the January window. Comparing the team we put out on Saturday (with many players missing through injury) with Exeter who are probably one of the best 3-4 teams in the league and then claiming we are 'bottom half of the table' standard is just ridiculous IMO.

Since Curle has come in we have lost only 2 from 11 games in all competitions, and only once in the league in 8, a run which has included games against MK, Exeter, FGR (who were on a long unbeaten run) and Bury, so a pretty difficult set of matches. We have also conceded only 6 in these 8 league games, which bar perhaps MK, likely makes us the form defensive side in the league.

I am not remotely surprised by this run of results and do not believe this is in any way a 'bounce'. This is genuine promotion form which I expect to continue and also for the club to be sitting just outside the top 7 come end of December.

However I do agree with you about many of the players who lined up on Saturday. Cornell, Odoffin, Buchanan, Hoskins, Waters and Powell either are or should be after the window, second string/bench players. Facey, Crooks, Foley and Morias will replace 4 of these sooner rather than later, with perhaps 3 January signings (most notably a LB and GK) replacing the others.

I've said it before, but it cannot be underestimated what a bad job DA did over the summer. Loaning out Bunney while not bringing in a replacement leaving us with just the one (aging) LB at the club was crazy, while signing Ward on loan just to be back-up when the funds could have been spent on a more experienced keeper at this level has cost us points IMO, to mention just 2 terrible mistakes. We are playing catch-up because of this, but I still very much fancy our chances of getting back up this season.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #106 on: November 21, 2018, 05:54:20 am »

as proggressive* 😉

If that was the predictive text that changed that, I'm intrigued about what you were previously texting for 'progestogen' to be suggested?  Grin
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
guest1269

« Reply #107 on: November 21, 2018, 10:07:37 am »

...... That is miles short of where Mk Dons and Lincoln for example are and someway IMO short of where exeter currently who could and should have beaten us again IMO.

Well the actual scores don't really reflect that do they? - and frankly that is all that counts - you don't get out of this division simply on skill and pretty football as it's more about grit, winning mentality, hard work and organization - for the first time in 2 years we have had a manager who has instilled those attributes and with one or two additions in January I think we have an outside change of a play off place but I don't expect to see a transformation on playing style. 
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #108 on: November 21, 2018, 10:55:55 am »

I would suggest that your judgement is based on potentially false premises. Clearly the squad is slightly stronger than your somewhat biased judgement suggests. KC has indeed done a good job in recovering a perilous situation. Once again you have framed an argument to entirely suit your agenda. The squad you continue to vilify is perhaps a little better than you suggest. It’s about time you raised your level of support to an intelligible level.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
guest2995

« Reply #109 on: November 21, 2018, 11:08:56 am »

I just can't agree that our current squad is mid to bottom half of L2 standard, IMO that is just nonsense. I firmly believe we are a top 7 squad with a couple of glaring deficiencies (which should have been rectified over the summer) which are easily fixable in the January window. Comparing the team we put out on Saturday (with many players missing through injury) with Exeter who are probably one of the best 3-4 teams in the league and then claiming we are 'bottom half of the table' standard is just ridiculous IMO.

Since Curle has come in we have lost only 2 from 11 games in all competitions, and only once in the league in 8, a run which has included games against MK, Exeter, FGR (who were on a long unbeaten run) and Bury, so a pretty difficult set of matches. We have also conceded only 6 in these 8 league games, which bar perhaps MK, likely makes us the form defensive side in the league.

I am not remotely surprised by this run of results and do not believe this is in any way a 'bounce'. This is genuine promotion form which I expect to continue and also for the club to be sitting just outside the top 7 come end of December.

However I do agree with you about many of the players who lined up on Saturday. Cornell, Odoffin, Buchanan, Hoskins, Waters and Powell either are or should be after the window, second string/bench players. Facey, Crooks, Foley and Morias will replace 4 of these sooner rather than later, with perhaps 3 January signings (most notably a LB and GK) replacing the others.

I've said it before, but it cannot be underestimated what a bad job DA did over the summer. Loaning out Bunney while not bringing in a replacement leaving us with just the one (aging) LB at the club was crazy, while signing Ward on loan just to be back-up when the funds could have been spent on a more experienced keeper at this level has cost us points IMO, to mention just 2 terrible mistakes. We are playing catch-up because of this, but I still very much fancy our chances of getting back up this season.

I’m not particularly defending DA but he clearly saw Turnbull as a back up left back to Buchanan . Bunney wanted to leave and it freed up funds to get in other players .
Ward came in but Cornell has been in good form and so hasn’t had a chance . None of us know what Ward is like because he has hardly played , so you can’t criticise him .
DA was restricted because of other managers’ mistakes . He couldn’t move players on due to long term contracts for average players that no one wanted , or the players didn’t want to go . You can’t blame Austin for that - it was JFH and JED .
I’m not at all sure about us being a top 7 side , but time will tell. Lincoln and MK were certainly a long way ahead of us but admittedly the rest are no great shakes either . It’s work in progress but I have not seen anything to get too carried away with yet .
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #110 on: November 21, 2018, 14:19:29 pm »

I’m not particularly defending DA but he clearly saw Turnbull as a back up left back to Buchanan . Bunney wanted to leave and it freed up funds to get in other players .
Ward came in but Cornell has been in good form and so hasn’t had a chance . None of us know what Ward is like because he has hardly played , so you can’t criticise him .
DA was restricted because of other managers’ mistakes . He couldn’t move players on due to long term contracts for average players that no one wanted , or the players didn’t want to go . You can’t blame Austin for that - it was JFH and JED .
I’m not at all sure about us being a top 7 side , but time will tell. Lincoln and MK were certainly a long way ahead of us but admittedly the rest are no great shakes either . It’s work in progress but I have not seen anything to get too carried away with yet .

I didn't go to MK but I did go to Lincoln. We deserved a draw there. The only difference was their forwards on the day produced 2 premier/championship league finishes. All round play, there wasn't much in it.

Id argue that Exeter (on the day) were far better than Lincoln were against us. Sometimes a performance doesn't match the result. The 2-2 and 3-2 score lines could easily have been the other way round and probably should have been!
Report Spam   Logged
ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Combination
« Reply #111 on: November 21, 2018, 16:40:29 pm »

If DA did see Turnbull as a back-up to Buchanan then this was a mistake in itself as Turnbull does not look at all like a possible LB IMO. Bunney leaving may have been a necessary evil, but to then not use some of his freed up wages to bring in another out and out LB I find incredible. I have no criticism of Ward, but if he isn't good enough to oust Cornell then he shouldn't have been signed, it's as simple as that. It would be interesting to know what wages he is on being that he is from the Championship, albeit a 3rd/4th choice keeper.

DA shouldn't have signed Ward and used the money instead to loan/sign an experienced L2 GK for the season, and even though I think Odoffin was fine as a signing, a LB should have been priority before a RB was bought in. With the right decisions there was no need to sell further players to release funds in order to create a stronger/more balanced squad.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #112 on: November 21, 2018, 19:34:45 pm »

If DA did see Turnbull as a back-up to Buchanan then this was a mistake in itself as Turnbull does not look at all like a possible LB IMO. Bunney leaving may have been a necessary evil, but to then not use some of his freed up wages to bring in another out and out LB I find incredible. I have no criticism of Ward, but if he isn't good enough to oust Cornell then he shouldn't have been signed, it's as simple as that. It would be interesting to know what wages he is on being that he is from the Championship, albeit a 3rd/4th choice keeper.

DA shouldn't have signed Ward and used the money instead to loan/sign an experienced L2 GK for the season, and even though I think Odoffin was fine as a signing, a LB should have been priority before a RB was bought in. With the right decisions there was no need to sell further players to release funds in order to create a stronger/more balanced squad.
Your whole argument falls apart because it’s based on indoctrinated prejudices against Cornell who has actually been one of our best players this season . You can’t judge Ward if he hasn’t played .
I actually agree that there should have been another LB signed but Austin thought Turnbull could do the job. Once again , it wasn’t his fault Buchanan had an extended contract . Austin’s hands were tied due to other managers incompetence before him . That’s not to say he should have done better because that’s clear to see .
Austin had no more funds - he couldn’t do anything about the squad really .
Report Spam   Logged
Another Pedj

View Profile
Search Apple User Windows User
« Reply #113 on: November 21, 2018, 19:57:18 pm »

Where has this love in with Bunney come from? I dont remember too much of it at the end of last season
Report Spam   Logged
Patmore

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 24, 2018, 10:34:11 am »

I believe that Dai Cornell has improved to a point where it would need a 'very' good keeper to replace him, with our level of funding.
I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't being looked at by others.

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #115 on: November 24, 2018, 10:52:02 am »

Cool
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
guest47

« Reply #116 on: November 24, 2018, 11:19:24 am »

Where has this love in with Bunney come from? I dont remember too much of it at the end of last season

It’s because his style of play could better suit the side we have now
Report Spam   Logged
Spinney cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 25, 2018, 08:16:00 am »

Is he injured as he as only made two appearances for Blackpool.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: