The Hotel End
April 18, 2024, 22:28:12 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Taking of Grimsby Pelham 123. November 24/11.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Taking of Grimsby Pelham 123. November 24/11.  (Read 7037 times)
ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Combination
« Reply #100 on: November 24, 2018, 18:35:46 pm »

Where are those that said we are a top 7 side ?
Some way off yet .
The frustrating thing is that some of our better players are way out of form.
John joe is lucky to still be in the side at the minute and McWilliams has dipped as young players do .
Curle seems to think players are not carrying out instructions and he’s probably right but the constant chopping and changing can’t help.
Mid table is about right for us at the minute

Just logged on perhaps?

Dreadful 2nd 45 today no question about it and I don't disagree with most of the comments made so far on here: O'Toole looks exhausted/not with it, McWilliams and Hoskins both poor, and overall the midfield 'battle' was completely lost. This along with Taylor showing his usual terrible distribution being perhaps the worst aspects of the game for me. I would bench all 4 on Tuesday.

However in the first 45 we could barely have looked more comfortable and should have been further ahead before they scored. A true game of 2 halves.

Still only 1 defeat in 9 league games under Curle's watch however, with only 8 conceded and a return of 16 pts, 2 pts shy of the magical 2 points-per-game target. A run put together despite a long injury and suspension list and including tough away games against some of the divisions better teams - not shabby form for a 'mid-table' side.

How the team respond to this performance on Tuesday night is the important thing now.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #101 on: November 24, 2018, 18:38:35 pm »

15th is bang on for where we should be with this lot on current form, January could be interesting..how much will we get for KVV? Plus who will replace him..

Hopefully we will get a fair amount for him but as you indicate how do you replace such a quality player.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Vintage Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 24, 2018, 18:45:51 pm »

That was awful apart from VV's excellent goal.  The team couldn't pass water today and the return of Taylor to a back 3 that didn't work saw the return of hoofball. If I was Turnbull I would have been really hacked off at being given the hook. Pierre & Turnbull have done well since KC took over and to change things for the sake of finding a place for Taylor is a mistake. Taylor is expendable not Turnbull.

In midfield JJOT & McWilliams continued their bad form not helped by a constant stream of long balls from the back, especially from Taylor.  Hoskins was pretty useless but by no means alone.  Facey needs a good talking to by KC. That free kick he gave away from which Grimsby's was ridiculous and unprofessional. He was also generally poor.  Odoffin may overtake him in the pecking order.

The only positive is that if we can play as poorly as that and still earn a point then all is not lost this season.  With our owners trying to sell the big issue is going to be the amount of finance available to KC to bring in replacements.  
Report Spam   Logged
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #103 on: November 24, 2018, 18:49:44 pm »

Just logged on perhaps?

Dreadful 2nd 45 today no question about it and I don't disagree with most of the comments made so far on here: O'Toole looks exhausted/not with it, McWilliams and Hoskins both poor, and overall the midfield 'battle' was completely lost. This along with Taylor showing his usual terrible distribution being perhaps the worst aspects of the game for me. I would bench all 4 on Tuesday.

However in the first 45 we could barely have looked more comfortable and should have been further ahead before they scored. A true game of 2 halves.

Still only 1 defeat in 9 league games under Curle's watch however, with only 8 conceded and a return of 16 pts, 2 pts shy of the magical 2 points-per-game target. A run put together despite a long injury and suspension list and including tough away games against some of the divisions better teams - not shabby form for a 'mid-table' side.

How the team respond to this performance on Tuesday night is the important thing now.

I agree with this - the turning point of the match was mckeown's save at the end of the first half - a real momentum shifter. We need a big response on Tuesday - I agree that o'toole really needs taking out for a game or two but that was on the proviso that crooks would be fit.
Report Spam   Logged
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #104 on: November 24, 2018, 18:53:08 pm »

Decent first 30 mins although we didn't create heaps of chances, and then the rest was dross.

Back to the bad old days in the second half. Can't think of one player who I thought had a game I'd give more than a 6/10 today, except maybe KVV for his free kick.
Report Spam   Logged
Dr Feelgood

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #105 on: November 24, 2018, 19:01:15 pm »

Hopefully we will get a fair amount for him but as you indicate how do you replace such a quality player.
Where did you hear KVV is leaving Cecil?

Also do we know when Crooks is coming back?
Report Spam   Logged

For goodness sake Doc we are NOT going down  Grin   you heard it here 1st  Wink

(I damn well hope that does not come back to haunt me)
Grove

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #106 on: November 24, 2018, 19:29:08 pm »

The good - buchs, Pierre, foley, Williams, Kvv

The far from good - Hoskins, Taylor, facey, McWilliams, o,toole

The ok - turnbull, Powell, Cornell

Circle post match assessment was spot on.

agree
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #107 on: November 24, 2018, 19:37:55 pm »

can someone please explain how Hoskins stayed on the pitch today?
Terrible substitutions cost us today, Powell for Hoskins was all that was needed.
And what the fcuk has happened to JJOT he looks pis5ed.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Grove

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #108 on: November 24, 2018, 19:42:48 pm »

can someone please explain how Hoskins stayed on the pitch today?
Terrible substitutions cost us today, Powell for Hoskins was all that was needed.
And what the fcuk has happened to JJOT he looks pis5ed.

Curles tinkering could be his weak point, that was an awful decision to take Williams off and leave Hoskins on a that point, and to then play Hoskins up front made even more of a mockery of that decision
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #109 on: November 24, 2018, 19:51:48 pm »

Think avoiding that yellow card may explain JJOT not being at his best in the last few games........................................

He is so out of form that its hards to understand. Lets hope your theory is right on the potential yellow card ban.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Irchy cob

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 24, 2018, 19:58:40 pm »

He's either got a fitness issue or his legs have gone - he's just unable to get around the pitch like he used to which in turn puts pressure on the other midfielders. I wouldn't be at all surprised if curle gives jay Williams a run out in midfield but I would be concerned that away to Newport might be a bit of a big ask.
Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #111 on: November 24, 2018, 20:10:06 pm »

I thought we looked ok in the first half against a Grimsby team that were amongst the worst sides I've seen at Sixfields this season. In the second half Grimsby looked much better but we were absolutely woeful. We couldn't string two passes together and quite how Taylor stayed on ahead of Turnbull is anyone's guess. The one moment of quality came in the form of VV's fantastic free kick. Overall, I'd say a draw was a fair result.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
claretarmy

View Profile
Level 5 Search Combination
« Reply #112 on: November 24, 2018, 20:18:30 pm »

Quote from Vintage Cobbler:
"With our owners trying to sell the big issue is going to be the amount of finance available to KC to bring in replacements".

Kelvin Thomas said that the club would be run in the same way (maybe with the exception of East stand development) whilst he is at the club - so I'd presume when they have a discussion regarding the January transfer window, Thomas and co would give the go-ahead. I'm sure they'd both agree that players need to leave and not just come in.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3086

« Reply #113 on: November 24, 2018, 20:59:07 pm »

'our owners trying to sell the big issue'.
Report Spam   Logged
guest47

« Reply #114 on: November 24, 2018, 21:06:01 pm »

Grin  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Irchy cob

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 24, 2018, 21:16:05 pm »

How much is the Big Issue these days - KT's going to have to sell loads to give Curle a decent kitty in January?
Report Spam   Logged
guest2677

« Reply #116 on: November 24, 2018, 21:33:13 pm »

The one moment of quality came in the form of VV's fantastic free kick. Overall, I'd say a draw was a fair result.

There was at least one other moment of quality from VV today. The near post ball he put in, second half. For all the running Hoskin does, he was in and around but didn't have the intelligence to get on the end of that.
If VV had been assisting himself we'd have another two points this evening.
Report Spam   Logged
guest47

« Reply #117 on: November 24, 2018, 21:35:12 pm »

The first half was a typical post Curle performance, the second half was as we were before he arrived.
Report Spam   Logged
guest1269

« Reply #118 on: November 24, 2018, 22:17:45 pm »

The first half was a typical post Curle performance, the second half was as we were before he arrived.

Exactly that - defense indecisive and as poor as they were earlier this year and all of last - what’s the common factor there then?
Report Spam   Logged
Glastonbury Cobbler

View Profile
2500 Posts Windows User Combination
« Reply #119 on: November 24, 2018, 23:04:40 pm »

The good - buchs, Pierre, foley, Williams, Kvv

The far from good - Hoskins, Taylor, facey, McWilliams, o,toole

The ok - turnbull, Powell, Cornell

Circle post match assessment was spot on.

I've said it before and I'll say it again we have too many players that simply aren't good enough to make a top half / play off challenge.

Whilst the likes of Powell,  Hoskins, Cornell, Waters etc are anywhere near our starting 11 we will not progress and move forward.

Listening to KC's interview tonight he knows that, hopefully these wholesale tgat were needed in the summer will happen come January as we do gave the basis to kick on.

Some of the players mentioned would make decent squad player who could so a job (I would include Hoskins and Cornell in that)
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: