The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 11:00:02 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

5 Weeks till transfer window opens......

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 5 Weeks till transfer window opens......  (Read 17426 times)
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #240 on: December 27, 2018, 07:54:18 am »

Sorry, not sure what you mean by realised in the summer.   Huh?

Grin
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Mathius

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: December 27, 2018, 09:21:14 am »

Maybe not ready now but he will get there.
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #242 on: December 27, 2018, 09:24:55 am »

I said in the the Summer, that Crookes reminds me of Josh Low. '10 good games, 10 average games, 10 games when he's injured/suspended'.

It also takes him several games to get up to speed when he's had a brief spell out of the team.

Whilst he is without doubt, extremely talented, and our most gifted player by far, its been more than evident since he came here that he lacks any level of consistency, which together with his wages, has probably put off many a suitor who would otherwise possibly take a g@mble on him. Id argue its the same situation with KVV, who like Crookes blows hot and cold.

Those two alone, at a guess are taking up probably 20% of our entire wage bill. If its not 20% then it wont be far off.

As I see it, we are basically paying them what they are both worth when they are 'on their game'. The rest of the time, waste of money.

Whilst I like them both, and taking away the financial considerations, If I was the manager Id be looking to offload them both to allow some wiggle room to bring in the 4 or 5 'decent league2 players' that we probably need across the squad.

That said, if we don't get a suitable offer/s then we would be best sticking with what we've got and making sure we do enough to see the season out. Perhaps paying off a couple of the fringe players/ones that wont be here next season (Kasim, Powell, Bowdith etc) and replacing them with younger, quicker, hungrier...players (even if they are on loan) would be where Id be looking to go.
Report Spam   Logged
Mathius

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 27, 2018, 09:34:31 am »

I said in the the Summer, that Crookes reminds me of Josh Low. '10 good games, 10 average games, 10 games when he's injured/suspended'.

It also takes him several games to get up to speed when he's had a brief spell out of the team.

Whilst he is without doubt, extremely talented, and our most gifted player by far, its been more than evident since he came here that he lacks any level of consistency, which together with his wages, has probably put off many a suitor who would otherwise possibly take a g@mble on him. Id argue its the same situation with KVV, who like Crookes blows hot and cold.

Those two alone, at a guess are taking up probably 20% of our entire wage bill. If its not 20% then it wont be far off.

As I see it, we are basically paying them what they are both worth when they are 'on their game'. The rest of the time, waste of money.

Whilst I like them both, and taking away the financial considerations, If I was the manager Id be looking to offload them both to allow some wiggle room to bring in the 4 or 5 'decent league2 players' that we probably need across the squad.

That said, if we don't get a suitable offer/s then we would be best sticking with what we've got and making sure we do enough to see the season out. Perhaps paying off a couple of the fringe players/ones that wont be here next season (Kasim, Powell, Bowdith etc) and replacing them with younger, quicker, hungrier...players (even if they are on loan) would be where Id be looking to go.
Cheap option for next season would be add some of the current youth players. They are currently being sent out on loan to gain experience - 3 so far and possibly one or two more by the weekend. There's probably a couple that could play 1st team right now in JW & CM.
Report Spam   Logged
meccanostand

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: December 27, 2018, 09:35:59 am »

The weak links are pretty obvious to fans, they will be glaringly obvious to Curle.
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 27, 2018, 09:37:26 am »

Cheap option for next season would be add some of the current youth players. They are currently being sent out on loan to gain experience - 3 so far and possibly one or two more by the weekend. There's probably a couple that could play 1st team right now in JW & CM.

We need to at least give ourselves the last 8 games or so to d1ck around with the team and see if these lads have got it in them to be first team choices next season. That is the one and only big advantage of being in midtables-ville - you can start the planning for the following season earlier than all of your rivals!
Report Spam   Logged
guest3264

« Reply #246 on: December 27, 2018, 10:18:11 am »

Personally I would be starting Morgan Roberts now. He would give us balance, pace and creativity on the left............and hopefully improving performances which others are not capable of!
Report Spam   Logged
Dan

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #247 on: December 27, 2018, 10:56:57 am »

The thought of this squad without Crooks and Van Veen is horrendous.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2013
Glastonbury Cobbler

View Profile
2500 Posts Windows User Combination
« Reply #248 on: December 27, 2018, 11:17:14 am »

And they only turn up and perform about a third of the time
Report Spam   Logged
Glastonbury Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: December 27, 2018, 11:23:31 am »

Maybe not ready now but he will get there.

How long do you give him then?

The boy's 20 now, he's worked under numerous managers all of whom say he is a fair way off where he needs to be developmentally - surely if he were good enough he would be pushing for a place in our squad.  - Whenever he has played at anything like a decent level his not done anything.

He is probably too good for where he is playing at present but not good enough to make it much higher (Conference North /South or above. I would say he will end up at somewhere like Kettering or Brackley.

Really hope he proves me wrong, but let's be honest if he hasn't done it yet he's probably not going too.
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: December 27, 2018, 11:33:57 am »

4th and 5th in the POT's on this website.

I know what you are saying, but if them leaving means that 4 or 5 very decent league2 players could be signed, Id argue that the squad would be far better off overall. They both blow hot and cold.

I don't think it will happen come January; we wouldn't be able to find that number of quality additions for starters. But taking a longer term view...

Without big money landing into the coffers, from KT or elsewhere, Im struggling to see how we could put together a competitive squad with those two taking up such a disproportionate amount of budget. When you think back to decent players we've had over the last 20 years, and we've had a fair few, neither of those two would get anywhere near the top 20 and would probably struggle to get in the top 40. Not worth the inflated wages they are on!
Report Spam   Logged
ItsaSetPieceDivision

View Profile
Windows User
« Reply #251 on: December 27, 2018, 11:37:29 am »

There is a lot of work to do. Remember this is the side KC inherited - he has at least steadied the ship.

I would forget the play-offs. We're nowhere near good enough to go up anyway. A major overhaul in the January window is usually a bad idea so I'm not expecting big changes.
We can't keep rebuilding the side every 5 minutes and hope to get anywhere.
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #252 on: December 27, 2018, 12:19:27 pm »

Do you think there is anyone in our squad who is "in demand" from another club?

This has a big bearing on how business is conducted in January. Say someone came along and gave us money for Crooks on January 1st we'd have the month to get replacements in. Bit different if someone comes and "panic buys" Crooks on January 29th!

I can't see anyone coming in without anyone getting shifted out, not anyone of any value anyway. We don't have any Chinese money (!) to squander this January, nor are we in any real danger of going down like last season.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
606 Parklands_Cobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Mobile User
« Reply #253 on: December 27, 2018, 12:34:35 pm »

How long do you give him then?

The boy's 20 now, he's worked under numerous managers all of whom say he is a fair way off where he needs to be developmentally - surely if he were good enough he would be pushing for a place in our squad.  - Whenever he has played at anything like a decent level his not done anything.

He is probably too good for where he is playing at present but not good enough to make it much higher (Conference North /South or above. I would say he will end up at somewhere like Kettering or Brackley.

Really hope he proves me wrong, but let's be honest if he hasn't done it yet he's probably not going too.

I'll just leave this name here....

Steve Morison
Report Spam   Logged
Glastonbury Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: December 27, 2018, 12:44:04 pm »

I'll just leave this name here....

Steve Morison

Fair enough but for everyone Steve Morison there are hundreds of kids that don't make it - You can't keep hanging onto someone on the off chance that they might be a Steve Morison.

One question - If teams felt he was good enough why haven't a National League club taken a punt on him?

If anything he has dropped the standard of football he is playing at.
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: December 27, 2018, 12:58:47 pm »

Fair enough but for everyone Steve Morison there are hundreds of kids that don't make it - You can't keep hanging onto someone on the off chance that they might be a Steve Morison.

One question - If teams felt he was good enough why haven't a National League club taken a punt on him?

If anything he has dropped the standard of football he is playing at.

I'll counter that with another question....if he isn't good enough why do we keep hold of him? He's now been out on loan at Corby, Chesham, Brackley and now AFC Mansfield.

As for "hanging onto him".....he has been involved with the club since 2009 through all the youth levels since under 10's
Report Spam   Logged

Glastonbury Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: December 27, 2018, 13:39:18 pm »

I'll counter that with another question....if he isn't good enough why do we keep hold of him? He's now been out on loan at Corby, Chesham, Brackley and now AFC Mansfield.

As for "hanging onto him".....he has been involved with the club since 2009 through all the youth levels since under 10's

I think we have kept hold of him in the hope he will progress and develop and then test himself at an increasing higher standard of football. But at some point you have to say enough enough. I would think at approaching 21 we are reaching that point soon.
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: December 27, 2018, 14:02:31 pm »

I think we have kept hold of him in the hope he will progress and develop and then test himself at an increasing higher standard of football. But at some point you have to say enough enough. I would think at approaching 21 we are reaching that point soon.

Agreed. Having been playing for 6th tier sides last season you have to ask why he’s ended up at an 8th tier side this season, and one rock bottom at that level too. Hardly progress is it?

When was the last time we loaned a player out to a team in the Conference Premier?
Report Spam   Logged

FezNTFC

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #258 on: December 27, 2018, 14:16:14 pm »

Iaciofano has had an injury recently, which might explain why bigger non-league teams aren't taking a punt on him.

I agree with others that we should be utilising this youth team in the first team squad. From what I've seen, Jay Williams, Camron McWilliams and Morgan Roberts look ready to play minutes at this level, though I appreciate Jon Brady may see it differently!

I don't think losing Ash Taylor would be a blow for the wages he's on, but for me even though Crooks blows hot and cold we create absolutely nothing without him, so losing him would be a disaster, as it would losing van Veen.
Report Spam   Logged
Another Pedj

View Profile
Search Apple User Windows User
« Reply #259 on: December 27, 2018, 14:50:27 pm »

Brackley considered him skillful but far too lightweight for the starting 11 on a regular basis.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: