The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 14:53:51 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

The Kieth Curle Post Honeymoon period

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Kieth Curle Post Honeymoon period  (Read 8282 times)
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2018, 22:45:15 pm »

I before E......except after K

Grin

Good one
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
bluebry

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Level 2
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2018, 23:22:33 pm »

I find it quite baffling when people attempt to compare their clubs budget to other teams at this level. I can understand in the premier league where it’s a lot more broadcasted, but unless you’re a ‘big’ club for the division (i.e a Portsmouth or Luton at league two level) how on earth can you know what your clubs budget is in comparison to other clubs. I accept that there are smaller clubs who you can reasonably conclude have smalll budgets (e.g Morecambe), but in a league where most of the time we’re not even told how much a player has been sold for I find it somewhat confusing when I hear a fan say ‘we have a top 7 budget’. How on earth does one know that? By the way this is not solely directed at you, just more of a thought based on your earlier comments. 

Yea I kind of agree with you, but you have to follow the club as closely as I have with Carlisle and I'm sure you have with The Cobblers, I just happen to know what he spent, what he was asking for, what bonuses he was trying to negotiate, the completely unrealistic things he was asking for. He was trying to manage a 4th tier Club, (but he had Premier League expectations), he called it 'professionalism', but he was being totally unrealistic, in other words he was trying to 'manage' a club with 4,000 to 5,000 gates but expecting the budget of say 'Portsmouth' with 19,000 gates, he was being totally unrealistic, hence the chopping and changing, 'big squad attitude' (as of some of the big boys), something at our level will simply just not work.
Of course you could blame the board for giving him the money in the first place, however its the same old 'catch twenty two scenario', 'don't give him money and we'll struggle, give him money and maybe we will be ok but more than likely we'll struggle, but hopefully not'??   
Report Spam   Logged
Clarity

View Profile
1000 Posts Fifth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2018, 06:43:34 am »

I am afraid you came across as a very bitter fan; perhaps you didnt mean to infer that but that is how it came acros.
Not for me he didn’t, he’s just telling us what we can expect. So far I think its a correct assumption
Report Spam   Logged
ajp

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2018, 08:36:15 am »

A clear style (aimless hoofball) was emerging on Saturday especially 2nd half, that’s a worry for me. Thought those days had gone!
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2018, 08:40:27 am »

Grin Grin Grin
Whoosh.

A genuine one too! Grin
Report Spam   Logged

guest2995

« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2018, 08:46:31 am »

We have been playing direct since Curle arrived .
Moving the ball forward early and missing the midfield out has been the game plan from day one .
It’s appalling football but it was getting results somehow .
When it doesn’t work , people get very restless .
It also requires accurate distribution from the back and neither Pierre nor Taylor have those skills .
We also have no one at all that holds the back up in advance positions .
Report Spam   Logged
WasRambo

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2018, 08:50:36 am »

Wow.

This didn't take long.

2 defeats in 10. Mid table. All from the same bunch that DA couldn't even talk to, let alone get to play.

Give the man a chance. He's had no pre-season and been thrown in with us looking like relegation fodder and immediately steadied the ship.

Of course he's going to have a look and mix things up. He's having to do it on the job and the last few experiments haven't come off. Last night we got what was coming.

But Newport aren't "bad" especially not at home. Their home record is one of the best on show.

Anyway, let's see how Curlio reacts. He clearly can get this mob to play, let's see if he's learned from last night.

And anyone who moans when (not if) he "tinkers" next game, is a bell. Unless you're suggesting he keeps the same 11 from last night?
Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2018, 08:58:58 am »

Wow.

This didn't take long.

2 defeats in 10. Mid table. All from the same bunch that DA couldn't even talk to, let alone get to play.

Give the man a chance. He's had no pre-season and been thrown in with us looking like relegation fodder and immediately steadied the ship.

Of course he's going to have a look and mix things up. He's having to do it on the job and the last few experiments haven't come off. Last night we got what was coming.

But Newport aren't "bad" especially not at home. Their home record is one of the best on show.

Anyway, let's see how Curlio reacts. He clearly can get this mob to play, let's see if he's learned from last night.

And anyone who moans when (not if) he "tinkers" next game, is a bell. Unless you're suggesting he keeps the same 11 from last night?

Well said. But I'm not saying any more on the subject in case I get 'whoosed '.  Lots of childish behaviour on this forum  Lips Sealed
Report Spam   Logged
Gen.Disorda

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2018, 09:01:37 am »

Wow.

This didn't take long.

Pretty much spot on.
Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2018, 09:07:15 am »

Not for me he didn’t, he’s just telling us what we can expect. So far I think its a correct assumption

Not so sure about that; sure it’s his opinion but I agree with the comment on here that the poster came across as a bit bitter.
Report Spam   Logged

Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2018, 10:17:31 am »

We have been playing direct since Curle arrived .
Moving the ball forward early and missing the midfield out has been the game plan from day one .
It’s appalling football but it was getting results somehow .
When it doesn’t work , people get very restless .
It also requires accurate distribution from the back and neither Pierre nor Taylor have those skills .
We also have no one at all that holds the back up in advance positions .

Stop trying to wind us up...
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
guest2677

« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2018, 10:36:19 am »

Well said. But I'm not saying any more on the subject in case I get 'whoosed '.  Lots of childish behaviour on this forum  Lips Sealed
Nothing childish about the comment. You failed to understand the simple message from 606, and I found your reply to it very funny. We all make fools of ourselves from time to time, welcome to the club.
Report Spam   Logged
crazycobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2018, 10:58:28 am »

Wow.

This didn't take long.

Spot on. 16 points from 10 games is around playoff form. Also can’t forget that we’ve played 4 of the top 7 in that run (three of them away from home). It’s been an excellent start from KC with what I still believe is a very average squad.
Report Spam   Logged
threeinabed

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2018, 11:09:01 am »

what I still believe is a very average squad.

you arent the only one who believes this - they are average at best, despite all the guff that comes out from the players and staff
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2018, 11:58:29 am »

Stop trying to wind us up...
No wind up .
This is a transition year . Curle needs two windows to get this straight.
In the meantime , the football is dire .
Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2018, 12:13:22 pm »

Nothing childish about the comment. You failed to understand the simple message from 606, and I found your reply to it very funny. We all make fools of ourselves from time to time, welcome to the club.

At the time I did think he was replying to my post, and not the spelling of KEITH Curle. So, I can understand why you did it, still a bit childish though  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Terryfenwickatemyhamster
Administrator

View Profile
5000 Posts Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2018, 12:22:14 pm »

I'm not surprised performances have dipped a bit. It was a miracle what he got out of our squad anyway. I suppose a few of them are getting wind of his plans in January and performing accordingly. They're not daft, they'll know if they are in favour or not. Even some that have been playing ok will be getting a bit nervy.  

« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 12:34:42 pm by Terryfenwickatemyhamster » Report Spam   Logged
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2018, 12:33:01 pm »

I'm not excusing last night's result / performance but let's just take a moment to look at what Curle has got to work with. I have excluded youth teamers.

Keepers
Cornell - lower end league 2 / top end conference keeper
Coddington / Ward - unproven at league level

Defenders
Facey / Odoffin - young PL academy drop outs, the odd good game but obvious flaws in their game particularly decision making
Taylor - a caricature of a centre half, surely on his last professional deal.
Pierre - erratic will look decent with an old head along side him IMO.
Turnbull - decent league 2 defender, but probably not physical enough.
Buchanan - way past his best. Surely on his last deal at EFL level.

Midfielders
Bridge - no evidence to suggest he is a league standard player on a consistent basis. Probably signed as he's mates with DA.
McWilliams - young player, inevitably inconsistent
O'Toole - way past his best. Surely on his last deal at EFL level.
Crooks - best player in the squad, easily capable of L1 football.
Powell - way past his best. Surely on his last deal at EFL level.
Foley - good player but seems to be a serial loser as he is involved in an awful lot of poor / relegated teams.
Kasim - does he exist?

Attack
Hoskins - clearly not an EFL level footballer.
Williams - solid L2 pro, will get goals.
KVV - too good for this league, but can't mix it with the physical side so most likely an expensive luxury we can't afford.
Morias - good L2 pro, will get goals if he's fit / not suspended.
Bowditch - must've thought it was Christmas when JE gave him a 2 year deal.
Waters - jury's out, not sure he's consistent enough to be anything other than a middle of the road L2 player.

So we can see that he's managed to win 40% of the games in charge so far with a squad that is totally unbalanced, has no quality out wide and many players in key positions on the decline/in the twilight of their careers at EFL level.

Yes, the style has been a bit so-so but I said in August that the top 10 would be a strong achievement for this season and I still stand by that.
Report Spam   Logged
Glastonbury Cobbler

View Profile
2500 Posts Windows User Combination
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2018, 13:43:43 pm »

I'm not excusing last night's result / performance but let's just take a moment to look at what Curle has got to work with. I have excluded youth teamers.

Keepers
Cornell - lower end league 2 / top end conference keeper
Coddington / Ward - unproven at league level

Defenders
Facey / Odoffin - young PL academy drop outs, the odd good game but obvious flaws in their game particularly decision making
Taylor - a caricature of a centre half, surely on his last professional deal.
Pierre - erratic will look decent with an old head along side him IMO.
Turnbull - decent league 2 defender, but probably not physical enough.
Buchanan - way past his best. Surely on his last deal at EFL level.

Midfielders
Bridge - no evidence to suggest he is a league standard player on a consistent basis. Probably signed as he's mates with DA.
McWilliams - young player, inevitably inconsistent
O'Toole - way past his best. Surely on his last deal at EFL level.
Crooks - best player in the squad, easily capable of L1 football.
Powell - way past his best. Surely on his last deal at EFL level.
Foley - good player but seems to be a serial loser as he is involved in an awful lot of poor / relegated teams.
Kasim - does he exist?

Attack
Hoskins - clearly not an EFL level footballer.
Williams - solid L2 pro, will get goals.
KVV - too good for this league, but can't mix it with the physical side so most likely an expensive luxury we can't afford.
Morias - good L2 pro, will get goals if he's fit / not suspended.
Bowditch - must've thought it was Christmas when JE gave him a 2 year deal.
Waters - jury's out, not sure he's consistent enough to be anything other than a middle of the road L2 player.

So we can see that he's managed to win 40% of the games in charge so far with a squad that is totally unbalanced, has no quality out wide and many players in key positions on the decline/in the twilight of their careers at EFL level.

Yes, the style has been a bit so-so but I said in August that the top 10 would be a strong achievement for this season and I still stand by that.

A very accurate picture of where we find ourselves, you're right KC has worked wonders to do what he has with what we've got. As was the case in the summer we have 5 or 6 players that are good enough at this level and capable of mounting a pkay off challenge, but if we want to push on significant movement us needed with the rest of the squad
Report Spam   Logged
guest1269

« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2018, 13:46:03 pm »

Not going to quote it but a pretty good assessment of our team to date.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: