The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 08:46:14 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

The Kieth Curle Post Honeymoon period

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Kieth Curle Post Honeymoon period  (Read 8267 times)
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #80 on: February 03, 2019, 18:33:37 pm »

1st 10 games - Won 4, drew 4, lost 2.   16 points.
2nd 10 games - Won 2, drew 5, lost 3.  11 points.

Last 5 games - Won1, drew1, lost 3.  4 points.

I think its fair to say that we are now back to square1, and back to precisely where we were when a number of us trudged out of Field Mill after that 4-0 battering. Kieth became our manager the following week.

Started off well, very well. Gradually got worse. And have now hit another big big low.

What will the next 10 games bring folks? Will he survive them?

Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #81 on: February 03, 2019, 18:36:19 pm »

Drilling, it's Keith Curle.
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #82 on: February 03, 2019, 18:37:18 pm »

Drilling, it's Keith Curle.

Grin

i before e and all that... Grin
Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #83 on: February 03, 2019, 18:45:26 pm »

Grin

i before e and all that... Grin

Not in this case it isn't.
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #84 on: February 03, 2019, 19:26:09 pm »

In all competitions he won six of his first nine games.

Since then.....in the 16 games that have followed we have won TWO (in normal time....i've counted the Checkatrade game at Cambridge as a draw)

Yes, I would say we had a decent "new manager bounce" but since then.....a win at Crawley and a home win over Carlisle is it since early November.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/7, 2007/8, 2011/12, 2012/13 and 2018/19
BMON

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 04, 2019, 06:36:10 am »

We need a Divorce
Report Spam   Logged
meccanostand

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 04, 2019, 06:40:15 am »

Anyone rate Jon Brady as a replacement for Curle should he get the heave ho? Couldn't have done a better job with the U-18's.

Report Spam   Logged
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #87 on: February 04, 2019, 09:05:29 am »

Anyone rate Jon Brady as a replacement for Curle should he get the heave ho? Couldn't have done a better job with the U-18's.

I don't think he wants the job.
Report Spam   Logged
memyhead

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 04, 2019, 18:07:58 pm »

He was given some slack til the January window as none of the squad were signed by him...

In January he had the opportunity to sign PROPER wing backs so that he could persevere with his beloved 352. The loan signings should all have been experienced just to get us over the line as we've got enough young players within our youth set up who can be integrated once we're safe.

Bunney back to Rochdale was bizzare as he's a proper LWB and could have covered Cox while he's injured!
I don't care if he's homesick, man up fella, he signed a two and a half year contract with us so surely he knew where Northampton was when he signed!

In KC we have yet another manager who continually tinkers and is now playing our most creative player at LWB.

Another awful appointment by KT who surely knew KC's preferred formation when hiring him.
Just like JED was haven't got the players to play his preferred formation.

KT also said when appointing KC he needed to go into the dressing room and ruffle a few feathers yet KC has now come out and said he can't do that to some of the players as they'll go into their shells...

What a fvcking shambles of a club!

I'm just glad I won't be using my season ticket again until the Port Vale game due to other commitments...

Just back in time for a relegation dog fight with a new manager at the helm no doubt..

Hope it doesn't come to this but can't see stubborn KC changing his ways & ever sticking with a settled line up....
Report Spam   Logged
guest3114

« Reply #89 on: February 04, 2019, 19:59:16 pm »

Curlio, can tinker all he likes or pick a settled side in my view we will continue to struggle. This again in my view is for one reason alone and thats recruitment. Look at our last 3 squads that got promoted and compare them to our current one. Everything you need to know is right there. Or put another way, how many of our current squad would make it into those?
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #90 on: February 05, 2019, 10:22:23 am »

Curlio, can tinker all he likes or pick a settled side in my view we will continue to struggle. This again in my view is for one reason alone and thats recruitment. Look at our last 3 squads that got promoted and compare them to our current one. Everything you need to know is right there. Or put another way, how many of our current squad would make it into those?

Probably correct
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
sxcobbler

Proudtobe.

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #91 on: February 05, 2019, 10:43:52 am »

Not many could argue with that........but they were A TEAM .....this is just a squad, one that has little fight and simply have that losing mentality, whether it being prone to letting in late goals or being Ok until the first goal goes in against them.

I know Page was a very poor Manager, as was Jimmy....... but Curlio and JED are experienced men at this level & as for Deano... his post match Mansfield quote will go down in history and must have been revisited by Cobblers fans ( a game very similar to Colchester). A true epitaph for this season??? 
Can it be turned round?, I f^cking hope so, because it doesn't get worse than the Stags and U's second halves.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 11:14:19 am by sxcobbler » Report Spam   Logged

Let's show some Ambition !
Battery Man

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Poll Voter
« Reply #92 on: February 05, 2019, 12:23:46 pm »

Curle must take his share of the blame for formation and tactics but at the end of the day this team has failed under one guise or another for the last 3 seasons. Maybe the players need to go and see a psychiatrist or a hypnotist to convince them that they are footballers and can perform. It seems that at the minute as soon as we concede a goal we just fall to pieces.
Report Spam   Logged
ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Combination
« Reply #93 on: February 05, 2019, 12:40:03 pm »

I maintain that most of the problems this season were caused by failure to recruit a half-decent left-back over the summer.

Bunney was loaned to Blackpool and perhaps this was necessary due to getting his likely inflated wages, but to not bring in a replacement LB, leaving us only with Buchanan for the first 5 months of the season was absolute madness IMO. We have been so weak in this area for two seasons now and successive managers have tried and failed for one reason or another) to rectify this issue.

JFH initially tried to plug this gap by playing George Smith and Hanley either in Buchanan's place or in front of him in the left of midfield. As soon as the January window opened Bunney was bought in and Buchanan was dropped. Initially Bunney also put in some decent performances and we become a lot tighter at the back (though this was also partly due to Turnbull being bought in at LCB). Then after a few mistakes the crowd got on Bunney's back, he more or less went to pieces and JFH got the sack. Austin brings Buchanan back in and as the record shows, our defensive form got much worse from then on in.

Curle came in and to try and plug the LB issue soon began playing three at the back, with Buchs either dropped altogether or playing almost in an attacking midfield role where his defensive liability couldn't be exposed.

Early in this window Curle bought in Cox, who immediately replaced Buchs, just as JFH bought in Bunney who also immediately replaced him.

Now Cox is injured we're back playing either Buchs in a back 4 (not good enough) or 3 at the back with Buchs as LWB (laughable) or in LM (even more laughable).

The system isn't working at the minute, but if anybody thinks it would be any better with Buchs playing any of those roles on the left hand side then they are totally deluded.

It's a case of which kind of bread do you want to make your s*** sandwich out of? It's still a s*** sandwich either way.

Report Spam   Logged
ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Combination
« Reply #94 on: February 05, 2019, 12:51:21 pm »

I'll add that not only has Curle had to work around the sale of Crooks, but around injuries to Foley and McWilliams as well as a long term absence of JJOT. These four players made up the bulk of our CM (probably the most important area of the pitch) and are all very good players for this level. This has forced him to play Turnbull in CM and either J.Williams or Taylor in Turnbull's place at CB. On top of that Turnbull was injured for the Colchester game. This is probably why JJOT came back in when it felt a little too early for him, because he clearly was off the pace and needs time to build up match fitness.

I for one think it's imperative that Curle is stuck with, people criticising his selections/tactics don't seem to be able to offer alternative solutions and don't seem to acknowledge the wider picture. To sack him now would be madness IMO.
Report Spam   Logged
Gen.Disorda

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #95 on: February 05, 2019, 13:53:01 pm »

I for one think it's imperative that Curle is stuck with, people criticising his selections/tactics don't seem to be able to offer alternative solutions and don't seem to acknowledge the wider picture. To sack him now would be madness IMO.

Agreed, and the signings have only added to fitness issues.

We are in a rut now in terms of confidence, a rut I hope we can dig ourselves out of.
Report Spam   Logged

guest48

« Reply #96 on: February 05, 2019, 15:55:31 pm »

Now Cox is injured we're back playing either Buchs in a back 4 (not good enough) or 3 at the back with Buchs as LWB (laughable) or in LM (even more laughable).

The system isn't working at the minute, but if anybody thinks it would be any better with Buchs playing any of those roles on the left hand side then they are totally deluded.

It's a case of which kind of bread do you want to make your **** sandwich out of? It's still a **** sandwich either way.
OK Clarence, we get that you don't think that Buchs is the answer, so what would you do with our defence? I agree that Buchs is not a wing back but I cant see anyone better in the squad as a left back, unless you put Turnbull there and that means Ash Taylor plays and that means we concede goals. I think that if we go, tonight, with a back four of Facey (because there is no one else), Goode, Pierre and Buchs. Defensive midfield Turnbull and Shaun McW with Bridge and Elsenik in the hole and Junior and Andy W up front. You have then got 6 outfield players who know their job is to defend, not worry if they should be overlapping or anything else.
   That, in my opinion, is about the best we can do with the current, fit players, maybe give Sordell the last half hour in place of AW and bring JJOT on if any of the midfielders are struggling.
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 05, 2019, 16:10:05 pm »

Good post Barton!!

What I just don't get is Curles persistence in trying to play 3-5-2 when we patently don't have the players for it, but then, having selected that formation we set out to try and nullify the oppositions strengths rather than exploit their weaknesses.

That just ends up with players playing in unfamiliar positions getting dragged all over the park and not looking like that have a clue how to play football, not knowing who is supposed to be doing what, and not knowing where their team-mates are when we actually do get hold of the ball and look to play a bit.

You can always pass it around the back nicely because, at this level teams don't press with the same intensity as say Liverpool or Man City do. The problems start when you get near the half way line and your own players seemingly don't know where to run to, don't run into space anyway, so you lose the ball, are stretched and leave massive gaps for the opposition to exploit.

I couldn't help but notice one of the Colchester goals, their second goal, McWilliams ran past their attacking player in the opposite direction....their man ran right to left, McWilliams came from the left and ended up on the right side of the penalty area........clueless!!
Report Spam   Logged

meccanostand

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 05, 2019, 16:17:40 pm »

Maybe he's playing the percentages and genuinely thinks that by the end of the season 3-5-2 will pick up enough points to scrape up.

The obvious concerns are:

Oppositions working the tactics out a la Colchester.
Couple of heavy defeats killing belief.
Injury glut making wing-back system further unviable.
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 05, 2019, 16:30:02 pm »

Maybe he's playing the percentages and genuinely thinks that by the end of the season 3-5-2 will pick up enough points to scrape up.

The obvious concerns are:

Oppositions working the tactics out a la Colchester.
Couple of heavy defeats killing belief.
Injury glut making wing-back system further unviable.

Does he not think other teams scout us then? We play poxy 3-5-2 every game and leave acres of space.....it doesnt take a genius to work out where our weaknesses lie.....and then if the opposition are good enough, as on Saturday, we end up looking rather silly!
Report Spam   Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: