The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 20:43:29 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Stevenage (H) 15th December

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stevenage (H) 15th December  (Read 5843 times)
Another Pedj

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Apple User Windows User
« Reply #80 on: December 15, 2018, 19:34:33 pm »

Cornell howler, cost 2 more points.

Anyone who dosent think we need a number 1 on Jan is mistaken as he will continue to cost us points

True but on that basis Sean McWilliams has to go caught in possession for the third time that half. Pierre fir an awful back pass. All 3 to go.
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #81 on: December 15, 2018, 19:41:13 pm »

Frustrating. Probably the most frustrating throw away of 2 points for a few seasons. Taken in isolation.

We were not great, far from it. But for 75 minutes we controlled the game, had the lead, Stevenage were never going to score.

Whilst it will go down as a goal keeping error, I do feel sorry for Cornell. He slipped. That can happen to anybody, Steve Gerrard anyone? Theres been loads of examples over the years, he will be gutted tonight though because other than that, they didn't have a single chance to score. Unless you count the cross where Taylor headed it away in the first half under big pressure from one of their forwards.

At the time, and leaving the ground, my mindset was Cornell had cost us 2 points. But quickly I came round to thinking, sh1t happens. One of those things.

I did think the subs were strange though. Assuming Taylor took a knock, surely it would have been better to put Crookes on? And the third sub...Morais would have made a lot more sense. That change killed our attacking intent and with the equaliser being scored shorty after, it meant we had to see out the game with a team 'set up to close the game out'.

Mid tables-ville. Difficult this evening seeing how this lot can get us much higher in the table than we currently are. And unless we go on a mini run between now and January, I expect the chairman to view things as 'seeing the season out' instead of a push for the play offs. You'd rule out bringing in loan players for starters, whats the point? Unless we look like we can realistically push for a top7 spot, Id rather us develop our own kids, throw in a couple of them to learn the ropes with next season in mind. We need 9 or 10 points from the 4 Christmas games to look at the January window as an opportunity to push on.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #82 on: December 15, 2018, 20:01:26 pm »

True but on that basis Sean McWilliams has to go caught in possession for the third time that half. Pierre fir an awful back pass. All 3 to go.

Grin  -  very clever little riposte - good to read and have a laugh Grin
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Glastonbury Cobbler

View Profile
2500 Posts Windows User Combination
« Reply #83 on: December 15, 2018, 21:32:46 pm »

Grin  -  very clever little riposte - good to read and have a laugh Grin

Will you be joining me at yeovil nevers??

You know as well as I do Cornell constantly has a howler in him and over a season will cost more points than he saves (despite him having a better than expected half season).

I know it, 99% of our fanbase know it, but most importantly curle knows it. He also knows if we want to kick on we will have a proper number 1 in by 1st Feb.

Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 15, 2018, 21:39:46 pm »

You know as well as I do Cornell constantly has a howler in him and over a season will cost more points than he saves (despite him having a better than expected half season).

I know it, 99% of our fanbase know it, but most importantly curle knows it. He also knows if we want to kick on we will have a proper number 1 in by 1st Feb.

NUTS
Report Spam   Logged

Ron Obvious

Suffer well.

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 15, 2018, 21:44:07 pm »

More interesting that Coddington was sub goalkeeper today, no sign of Ward. Have I missed something? O...and well done on speaking on behalf of our fanbase.  Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged

Breathing will help you live.
Glastonbury Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 15, 2018, 21:47:00 pm »

NUTS

We're you there today?

Take it your not coming down next week either?

How can we take your views seriously?? 😂😂😂

The more I see and listen to KC the more I like him, he's getting an almighty tune out of the majority of dross we have across the squad.

He has worked hoskins out in 6 weeks.

He knows what he wants imo to get us moving forward and subject to KT delivering he will move us forward. Hoskins and Dia will be squad players (which is exactly where they should be). I hope for so big movement across the squad over the coming month - which should have happend on the summer.

Report Spam   Logged
Ron Obvious

Suffer well.

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 15, 2018, 21:55:15 pm »

We're you there today?

The more I see and listen to KC the more I like him, he's getting an almighty tune out of the majority of dross we have across the squad.

He knows what he wants imo to get us moving forward and subject to KT delivering he will move us forward. Hoskins and Dia will be squad players (which is exactly where they should be). I hope for so big movement across the squad over the coming month - which should have happend on the summer.

Have you been boozing?
Report Spam   Logged

Breathing will help you live.
memyhead

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 15, 2018, 22:35:17 pm »

Frustrating. Probably the most frustrating throw away of 2 points for a few seasons. Taken in isolation.

We were not great, far from it. But for 75 minutes we controlled the game, had the lead, Stevenage were never going to score.

Whilst it will go down as a goal keeping error, I do feel sorry for Cornell. He slipped. That can happen to anybody, Steve Gerrard anyone? Theres been loads of examples over the years, he will be gutted tonight though because other than that, they didn't have a single chance to score. Unless you count the cross where Taylor headed it away in the first half under big pressure from one of their forwards.

At the time, and leaving the ground, my mindset was Cornell had cost us 2 points. But quickly I came round to thinking, sh1t happens. One of those things.

I did think the subs were strange though. Assuming Taylor took a knock, surely it would have been better to put Crookes on? And the third sub...Morais would have made a lot more sense. That change killed our attacking intent and with the equaliser being scored shorty after, it meant we had to see out the game with a team 'set up to close the game out'.

Mid tables-ville. Difficult this evening seeing how this lot can get us much higher in the table than we currently are. And unless we go on a mini run between now and January, I expect the chairman to view things as 'seeing the season out' instead of a push for the play offs. You'd rule out bringing in loan players for starters, whats the point? Unless we look like we can realistically push for a top7 spot, Id rather us develop our own kids, throw in a couple of them to learn the ropes with next season in mind. We need 9 or 10 points from the 4 Christmas games to look at the January window as an opportunity to push on.

Pretty much agree with the above...

If we can shift out some of the deadwood permanently in Jan and replace them with better permanent signings then all well and good...

We've certainly got enough talented youth players to give game time to, rather than bring in a load of pointless loans...
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 15, 2018, 23:08:46 pm »

We're you there today?

I am not sure if you read the threads on here but will not be going to Yeovil or indeed any match prior to Boxing Day!  I asked you a simple question if you were at todays game - as your criticism of Cornell omitted the circumstances leading to the goal. All you have done is avoided the query and tried to counter it with misleading information. Again you quote the Royal 'We' why is this?
Report Spam   Logged

guest2934

« Reply #90 on: December 16, 2018, 09:13:04 am »

The game was shite, from the start, to exceptionally shite at the finish.

Lucky it's so cheap to watch.

Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #91 on: December 16, 2018, 09:22:41 am »

Incorrect .
Cornell is not the problem and everyone I know that goes thinks the same.
Everyone focuses on Cornell but look at some of the outfield players . Powell and Facey were poor yesterday and haven’t performed well for a while .
Report Spam   Logged
defender

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 16, 2018, 09:23:31 am »

It was a air result i suppose, NOW LETE GO THERE AND
 STUFF THE,M.
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #93 on: December 16, 2018, 09:41:33 am »

Incorrect .
Everyone focuses on Cornell but look at some of the outfield players . Powell and Facey were poor yesterday and haven’t performed well for a while .
I actually thought Powell had a decent game yesterday, unlike Facey who IMO is a waste of space, 3 time he blasted the ball out of play when a simple pass would have done.
Cornell is ok if we are to be a mid table L2 side but any pressure on him and he will mess up, he proved it time and time again.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
guest2677

« Reply #94 on: December 16, 2018, 09:47:32 am »

Powell is more productive than Hoskins will ever be. First time Cornell has properly screwed up this season for me, nobodies fault but his.
MacWilliams had a much better game yesterday, and Bucs is making a better fist of wing back than I thought he would.
VV a class apart though, again.
Report Spam   Logged
Clarity

View Profile
1000 Posts Fifth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #95 on: December 16, 2018, 10:26:47 am »

Incorrect .
I think you’re being unfair on Facey, his hoofs into the stands were exceptional
Report Spam   Logged
Glastonbury Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 16, 2018, 11:58:10 am »

Incorrect .

Disagree and I also know plenty that agree.

Granted Cornell is not the only nor most important problem, but he is a problem none the less.

Imo by 1st Feb we will have someone else between the sticks
Report Spam   Logged
just.reading

View Profile
Search 1000 Posts Windows User
« Reply #97 on: December 16, 2018, 11:58:42 am »

How is it an awful backpass from Pierre? It's on Cornell's right side and he blocks the striker to ease the pressure on Cornell. He's slipped, s*** happens, but the rush of blood to the head by then charging down the Stevenage player (when Pierre was already there) instead of retreating back to goal has cost us that goal.
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #98 on: December 16, 2018, 12:08:10 pm »

How is it an awful backpass from Pierre? It's on Cornell's right side and he blocks the striker to ease the pressure on Cornell. He's slipped, **** happens, but the rush of blood to the head by then charging down the Stevenage player (when Pierre was already there) instead of retreating back to goal has cost us that goal.
Completely agree, also think McWilliams made the right decision too in keeping possession. I guess it’s just a case where some people go way over the top with the criticism of Cornell then those defending him go equally way over the top and somewhere in the middle is the truth.
It was Cornell’s mistake for the goal, but a rare one this season, he is an adequate goalkeeper and there are other areas of the team that need strengthening more.
Report Spam   Logged
Vintage Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 16, 2018, 12:26:02 pm »

The appalling weather played a big part in what was a very poor game between two very average teams.  That said, to think all those on the pitch wearing claret shirts apart from Odoffin were in our L1 squad last season tells you the truth about what KC has inherited.  They almost all looked with a couple of exceptions run-of-the-mill L2 players at best.  January looms large now and an opportunity for KC to reshuffle the pack. The challenge will moving on some of the under-performers.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: