The Hotel End
March 19, 2024, 11:28:25 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

January Window - Rumours, Ins and Outs

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ... 88   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: January Window - Rumours, Ins and Outs  (Read 102265 times)
Glastonbury Cobbler

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
2500 Posts Windows User Combination
« Reply #900 on: January 16, 2019, 08:49:40 am »

Given the lack of updates are we to assume that the bid for the unnamed player that KC said was made last Friday has been turned down? This friendly that took place yesterday with multiple trialists smacks a bit of desperation.

Or there seems to be a lot of players having contracts mutually terminated at the moment 2 for Wolves yesterday, Larnell Cole at Tranmere, The lad already mentioned from Notts County.

Maybe we are just taking the opportunity to run the rule over a few of these?

If we are going to be in need of players with others potentially leaving it seems like decent practise to me.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 09:38:55 am by Glastonbury Cobbler » Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #901 on: January 16, 2019, 08:49:44 am »

Sounds like we are in the bargain basement for players .
Before the season started I was told by a senior member at the club we would finish no higher than mid table .
I disputed that at the time but he said the squad was so badly unbalanced it would take three windows to turn it around .
Right now that sounds optimistic !
Report Spam   Logged
Onetouch

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #902 on: January 16, 2019, 08:50:47 am »

Given the lack of updates are we to assume that the bid for the unnamed player that KC said was made last Friday has been turned down? This friendly that took place yesterday with multiple trialists smacks a bit of desperation.
Im not sure it smack desperation... I'd rather KC had a good look at these players, than just sign them and hope for the best
Report Spam   Logged
memyhead

View Profile
« Reply #903 on: January 16, 2019, 08:57:41 am »

Or there seems to be a lot of players having contracts mutually terminated at the moment 2 for Wolves yesterday, Larnell Cole at Tranmere, The lad already mentioned from Notts County.

Maybe we are just take the opportunity to run the rule over a few of these?

If we are going to be in need of players with others potentially leaving it seems like decent practise to me.

Agree, what's the point of paying over the odds for someone now? (January is notoriously a sellers market)

We certainly ain't going up this season & hopefully not the other way either, so I'd rather we make sure we've enough in the squad to cover should any other players leave, and then give proper game time to the likes of Cam McWilliams & Morgan Roberts etc once we've 46ish points.

Proper recruitment will start in the Summer...
Report Spam   Logged
threeinabed

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #904 on: January 16, 2019, 09:36:45 am »

Sounds like we are in the bargain basement for players .
Before the season started I was told by a senior member at the club we would finish no higher than mid table .
I disputed that at the time but he said the squad was so badly unbalanced it would take three windows to turn it around .
Right now that sounds optimistic !

didnt need a senior club member to tell you that surely!?!
we could all see it.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #905 on: January 16, 2019, 09:43:06 am »

didnt need a senior club member to tell you that surely!?!
we could all see it.

I didn’t see or hear many people saying we would finish mid table before a ball was kicked .
Most thought we had a squad good enough to be challenging , including the bookies .
Some on here were even predicting top 6 about a month ago ( they seem to have gone quiet ).
I do agree we shouldn’t panic in this window . Let’s blood some youngsters and see how they get on .
Bridge and Williams have stepped up so far , let’s see how the others get on
Report Spam   Logged
guest3114

« Reply #906 on: January 16, 2019, 10:25:09 am »

I didn’t see or hear many people saying we would finish mid table before a ball was kicked .
Most thought we had a squad good enough to be challenging , including the bookies .
Some on here were even predicting top 6 about a month ago ( they seem to have gone quiet ).
I do agree we shouldn’t panic in this window . Let’s blood some youngsters and see how they get on .
At the start I thought we’d go straight back up, after about 4 games I was adamant we would get relegated, after about 12 games I thought we’d make the play offs. Now I reckon we’ll finish mid table. Basically I’ve had us up and down more times than a tarts knickers, what does it all mean?
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #907 on: January 16, 2019, 10:30:29 am »

Bridge has had one good game and while Williams is on a decent run his poor start to the season means he’s still only on for a very average goal haul this season.
For me Pierre and Turnbull have been our two best players with a special mention to Cornell who I had my doubts about but nice to be proved wrong so far this season.
Report Spam   Logged
the grumpy old man

View Profile
1000 Posts Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #908 on: January 16, 2019, 10:33:32 am »

Bridge has had one good game and while Williams is on a decent run his poor start to the season means he’s still only on for a very average goal haul this season.
For me Pierre and Turnbull have been our two best players with a special mention to Cornell who I had my doubts about but nice to be proved wrong so far this season.

I may be wrong but I assume he means Jay Williams not Andy.
Report Spam   Logged
threeinabed

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #909 on: January 16, 2019, 10:37:59 am »

I may be wrong but I assume he means Jay Williams not Andy.

you are right - andy williams is not a youngster
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #910 on: January 16, 2019, 10:41:42 am »

Ah yes apologies. 
Report Spam   Logged
ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Combination
« Reply #911 on: January 16, 2019, 10:50:57 am »

I was one of those and while I concede at this point a top 7 finish is at this point in time looking very unlikely (but not impossible) I haven't changed my mind one bit on my estimation of the quality of the squad as it stood at the start of the season.

Under Austin the team won once and only got 7 points from 10 matches. An absolutely horrendous run, which extrapolated for 28 matches, would have seen us bottom of the table. For this I place the blame almost entirely on Austin who, while perhaps a good coach, I am of the opinion was incompetent as a manager.

Under Curle the team has 26 points from 18 matches, a little under 1.5 points a game, which extrapolated for a whole season would see the team almost reach 70 points, likely finish in the top 10 and be within touching distance of the play-off places. We have only lost 3 of those 18 matches and are still unbeaten at home in the league in his tenure. Considering that Morias has been unavailable for most of Curle's reign also I believe the team would have registered more points if he had been playing over the full course of those 18 matches.

I believe there isn't a great deal of competition in this league and I maintain the current squad (as Curle's record shows) even without Crooks and Van Veen is much closer to play-off standard than it's position would suggest but unfortunately the terrible run during Austin's tenure has ultimately probably left too much ground to make up this year.

I'm not one for giving up while anything is mathematically possible though.  Grin

Report Spam   Logged
memyhead

View Profile
« Reply #912 on: January 16, 2019, 11:00:04 am »

I was one of those and while I concede at this point a top 7 finish is at this point in time looking very unlikely (but not impossible) I haven't changed my mind one bit on my estimation of the quality of the squad as it stood at the start of the season.

Under Austin the team won once and only got 7 points from 10 matches. An absolutely horrendous run, which extrapolated for 28 matches, would have seen us bottom of the table. For this I place the blame almost entirely on Austin who, while perhaps a good coach, I am of the opinion was incompetent as a manager.

Under Curle the team has 26 points from 18 matches, a little under 1.5 points a game, which extrapolated for a whole season would see the team almost reach 70 points, likely finish in the top 10 and be within touching distance of the play-off places. We have only lost 3 of those 18 matches and are still unbeaten at home in the league in his tenure. Considering that Morias has been unavailable for most of Curle's reign also I believe the team would have registered more points if he had been playing over the full course of those 18 matches.

I believe there isn't a great deal of competition in this league and I maintain the current squad (as Curle's record shows) even without Crooks and Van Veen is much closer to play-off standard than it's position would suggest but unfortunately the terrible run during Austin's tenure has ultimately probably left too much ground to make up this year.

I'm not one for giving up while anything is mathematically possible though.  Grin

Cheers Mr Oglethorpe!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Shoemaker

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #913 on: January 16, 2019, 11:16:02 am »

🖊Huh?
Report Spam   Logged
Mathius

View Profile
« Reply #914 on: January 16, 2019, 11:31:28 am »

Chris Lines
Report Spam   Logged
Glastonbury Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #915 on: January 16, 2019, 11:38:43 am »

Chris Lines

He's very useful - Always been very impressed with him when we have played Rovers  - Would be a decent addition if in anyway true
Report Spam   Logged
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #916 on: January 16, 2019, 11:43:31 am »

I predicted 10th at best  Wink
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #917 on: January 16, 2019, 11:47:04 am »

I am talking about blooding the younger players . Jay Williams not Andy Williams .
Yes , Bridge has had a good game as has Williams but give them a chance to shine when there is nothing to play for rather than bring in journeymen in January .
Simple point really
Report Spam   Logged
606 Parklands_Cobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Mobile User
« Reply #918 on: January 16, 2019, 11:48:03 am »

Chris Lines

Why? Why would he come to us? At his age? playing regular football at his home club? Even if he was out of contract at the end of the year...
Report Spam   Logged
Glastonbury Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #919 on: January 16, 2019, 12:01:58 pm »

Why? Why would he come to us? At his age? playing regular football at his home club? Even if he was out of contract at the end of the year...

Maybe if he knows his contract is not being renewed at Rovers and we have from example an 18 month contract on the table at 33?

That maybe the only reason he would drop to us?
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 [46] 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 ... 88   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: