The Hotel End
March 29, 2024, 05:39:06 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

January Window - Rumours, Ins and Outs

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... 88   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: January Window - Rumours, Ins and Outs  (Read 102675 times)
Clarity

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
1000 Posts Fifth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #380 on: January 06, 2019, 19:44:06 pm »

Do you feel we are promotion candidates this season then?

Very rarely have we signed anyone in the window and it works out. Moloney and Holmes, anyone else?
Jason Taylor, signed I believe at the same time as the other two you mention
Report Spam   Logged
Glastonbury Cobbler

View Profile
2500 Posts Windows User Combination
« Reply #381 on: January 06, 2019, 21:27:38 pm »

Four League two clubs reportedly chasing Crawley`s Ollie Palmer, 10 goals in 20 games this season.

No idea if we would be amongst those.
Report Spam   Logged
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #382 on: January 06, 2019, 21:33:20 pm »

Four League two clubs reportedly chasing Crawley`s Ollie Palmer, 10 goals in 20 games this season.

Sent off and conceded the penalty when we played them a few weeks ago - I think it's safe to say that he didn't get on with Pierre!
Report Spam   Logged
Glastonbury Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #383 on: January 06, 2019, 21:36:30 pm »

Possibly not if this is anything to go by ...

https://www-crawleyobserver-co-uk.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.crawleyobserver.co.uk/sport/football/clubs-race-to-sign-crawley-town-star-in-transfer-window-1-8759331/amp?amp_js_v=a2&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQECAFYAQ%3D%3D#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.crawleyobserver.co.uk%2Fsport%2Ffootball%2Fclubs-race-to-sign-crawley-town-star-in-transfer-window-1-8759331
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #384 on: January 06, 2019, 22:08:52 pm »

I hope we don't sign anyone. Wait until the summer and blood some more youth for the remainder of the season. There you go. Far more cohesive than you trying to spread a bitter campaign against our owners on every thread. Just keep it to the development thread! If you want to actually talk about anything else Cobblers that's great and would be most welcome, just make sure you don't revert to type and add in one of your usual digs!  Wink

See you can do it!  Grin

Frank - I don't quite subscribe to your willingness to promote youth. To me KC is introducing one or two who are worthy of their place or even a 'risk'.Due to our recent form we are more likely to potentially drop down the table rather than an upward spiral.  The time to blood young players is nearer to the end of the season or perhaps with sufficient points onboard. As soon as a Club suffers a downward trend even if well placed it unsettles both supporters/directors and is best avoided. By all means blood young players such as Willians v FGR; but to jeopardize or threaten our league survival seems a poor policy to me. We clearly need some experienced players in to steady the boat.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Ron Obvious

Suffer well.

View Profile
« Reply #385 on: January 06, 2019, 23:34:49 pm »

I am not suggesting it could be done wholesale. I had predicted one big earner ,Kasim, Ward and Waters would go. Three from four so far? Just offer contracts to four younger players and promote them to the match day squad. Jay Williams, C McWilliams appear to be the first two, two more to follow.We still have the aged Buchanan 32 , Bowditch 32, Foley 32 and Andy Williams 32. Add O'Tool at 30 if you like Smiley
Report Spam   Logged

Breathing will help you live.
Ron Obvious

Suffer well.

View Profile
« Reply #386 on: January 06, 2019, 23:52:39 pm »

Jason Taylor, signed I believe at the same time as the other two you mention

Yes, he came in and did a good job. He was only given a contract in the summer though after a good loan period if l remember correctly. It's seems strange to me that he is still younger than four of our first team. Holmes and Moloney signed contracts after one month loans.
Report Spam   Logged

Breathing will help you live.
guest2995

« Reply #387 on: January 07, 2019, 08:29:21 am »

Yet again the joy of hindsight expertise! Can you show me your and others comments saying to keep Marquis because he is good enough to score 20+ in League 1? I have no problem saying I and my friends thought he was a player who gave effort but not the finishing quality for NTFC.

I await you showing your comments from 2 years ago!
No hindsight from me or lots of others.
I wanted to sign him at the time and couldn’t understand why we let the opportunity pass.
No , I’m not going to try and find comments from two years ago - other things to do I’m afraid.
Many others on here agreed though.
Report Spam   Logged
Cordwainer2

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #388 on: January 07, 2019, 08:55:58 am »

Well, I am one of those who thought Marquis was an honest, hard working player, but would not be good enough for League 1. I thought we could and should do better! I admit I was totally wrong but I was not the only one.
Report Spam   Logged
Mathius

View Profile
« Reply #389 on: January 07, 2019, 09:11:33 am »

I wanted to sign him at the time and couldn’t understand why we let the opportunity pass.
No , I’m not going to try and find comments from two years ago - other things to do I’m afraid.
I agree. Liked him from the 1st loan. Like a lot of fans at the time, thought it was a given that we would at least make him an offer.
Report Spam   Logged
Knockingonabit

View Profile
Nineth year Anniversary Level 5 Combination
« Reply #390 on: January 07, 2019, 09:26:32 am »

I agree as well. Also thought Zander and Concrete were playing well together and deserved a chance in league 1. Don't ask what I thought of Page!
Report Spam   Logged
guest3230

« Reply #391 on: January 07, 2019, 09:55:56 am »

#signjohn
Report Spam   Logged
Glastonbury Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #392 on: January 07, 2019, 10:15:08 am »

Well, I am one of those who thought Marquis was an honest, hard working player, but would not be good enough for League 1. I thought we could and should do better! I admit I was totally wrong but I was not the only one.

I agree at the time I'm not sure I would have given him a contract, I would have been 50/50.

As you say he was always very hard working but didn't score hatfuls in league 2 - in fact missed more changes than he scored and given he had opportunities at Millwall at a higher level and again struggled you could argue you would have thought better were out there. I am happy to admit that was wrong too.
Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #393 on: January 07, 2019, 10:38:32 am »

Here's what I said at the time:

I like Collins and would be happy if we signed him, however personally I prefer Marquis. Money being no object, I'd love to sign them both but I can't help but think that those two and Rico offer largely the same option with Hoskins our only variation up front. Realistically, my choice would be to sign Marquis and then go for a nippier, more mobile forward to allow us to chop and change a bit more.

I stand by what I said about Marquis and Collins !
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #394 on: January 07, 2019, 10:46:38 am »

Not too sure that Rob Page had much influence on which loan(ees) we retained, they had already returned to their parent clubs by the time he took over?
A lot of blame has been attached to him for the break up of the title winning squad, I
believe that he was unable to do much about it as most had been decided prior to his taking over the reins?
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
threeinabed

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #395 on: January 07, 2019, 11:11:56 am »

Not too sure that Rob Page had much influence on which loan(ees) we retained, they had already returned to their parent clubs by the time he took over?
A lot of blame has been attached to him for the break up of the title winning squad, I
believe that he was unable to do much about it as most had been decided prior to his taking over the reins?

you are right - but why let facts spoil a witch hunt!
Report Spam   Logged
Quintonside

View Profile
Tenth year Anniversary Combination Poll Voter
« Reply #396 on: January 07, 2019, 11:17:29 am »

Do you feel we are promotion candidates this season then?

Very rarely have we signed anyone in the window and it works out. Moloney and Holmes, anyone else?

What actually happened to Moloney?
Report Spam   Logged

Member since 2013, 4 years trying to unlock the account and find password. Back in full swing May 2017
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #397 on: January 07, 2019, 11:31:34 am »

Yes, agree. Think from the time he came from Millwall to his departure to Donny, it was clear to most during those spells that he was one that should have never got away!

Agree hindsight plays its part with so many players leaving, whether it be Moyo, Toney, Billy McKay or Louis Moult...but Marquis, no!
Report Spam   Logged
Monkey

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #398 on: January 07, 2019, 11:50:14 am »

What actually happened to Moloney?

Doing his coaching badges but not sure if he wanted to continue playing or not. Think he turned down the Cobblers offer... it was assumed as he got a contract elsewhere which either didnt materialise or wasnt true.
Shame as I really rated him - his was immense in his first game back after a long lay off (v Coventry) and good memories of his goal v Notts C (setting up the infamous Wilder speech).

He lived down the road from me but noticed there was a To Rent sign outside it at the end of the season.

As for Marquis - I said at the time I'd keep him over Rico and Collins. I also rated Moult but couldnt understand how Ian Henderson became a footballer - my least favourite player of all time.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2090

« Reply #399 on: January 07, 2019, 14:38:26 pm »

loan signing announcement at 4pm.  no idea who it is, but I'm going for a GK.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 [20] 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... 88   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: