The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 16:23:08 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

January Window - Rumours, Ins and Outs

Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ... 88   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: January Window - Rumours, Ins and Outs  (Read 102523 times)
guest48

Badges: (View All)
« Reply #1120 on: January 25, 2019, 15:51:05 pm »

Have we ever had a Slovenian play for us before?
Will we be able to keep him after 29th March ?  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Dr Feelgood

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #1121 on: January 25, 2019, 15:56:40 pm »

What nationality were those lads that Gary Johnson signed? Marin Pozgain or something or other.
Pozzy was Austrian
Report Spam   Logged

For goodness sake Doc we are NOT going down  Grin   you heard it here 1st  Wink

(I damn well hope that does not come back to haunt me)
Baby Bear

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #1122 on: January 25, 2019, 16:29:17 pm »

Have we ever had a Slovenian play for us before?
Wasn't that striker we had from Derby, who scored at Orient, and then ended up playing in the europa league for someone Slovenian or maybe slovakian?
Always get them two countries muddled up.
Report Spam   Logged

@Babie_Bear_
guest2995

« Reply #1123 on: January 25, 2019, 16:42:51 pm »

Looks a good signing to me .
At least he has plenty of first team experience .
We are obviously treading water until the end of the season.
Report Spam   Logged
Zen Master

Taxi to Kings Heath mate?

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #1124 on: January 25, 2019, 16:46:17 pm »

Wasn't that striker we had from Derby, who scored at Orient, and then ended up playing in the europa league for someone Slovenian or maybe slovakian?
Always get them two countries muddled up.

The Serbian Prijovic is who your thinking of.
Report Spam   Logged

I think someone should just take this city of Peterborough and just... just flush it down the f***in' toilet

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2022
ClarenceInDefence

View Profile
Fifth year Anniversary Level 4 Combination
« Reply #1125 on: January 25, 2019, 17:05:59 pm »

Looks a good signing to me .
At least he has plenty of first team experience .
We are obviously treading water until the end of the season.

Do you ever finish a post without a 'the end is nigh' type comment?

Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #1126 on: January 25, 2019, 17:25:24 pm »

Is he another left sided player - that would mean 3 loans in that position?
Report Spam   Logged
Coolcat

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #1127 on: January 25, 2019, 17:28:27 pm »

He was deffo playing down the left when he scored against us at Field Mill...of course, that was Cornell's fault!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
Glastonbury Cobbler

View Profile
2500 Posts Windows User Combination
« Reply #1128 on: January 25, 2019, 17:48:15 pm »

No, we can't compete with anyone half decent in L2, hence the fire sale with more outgoings more probable than any incomings...

Wheeler is a quality player who has gone to MK...why would he have wanted to come to us in our current state anyway?

It's imperative we stay up so that a more manageable budget can be spent wisely by KC in the Summer...

I was commenting on those who were saying the quality is not there this time of year. It is if your willing to pay for it
Report Spam   Logged
memyhead

View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: January 25, 2019, 17:55:57 pm »

I was commenting on those who were saying the quality is not there this time of year. It is if your willing to pay for it

Agree. Jan is always a sellers market with clubs paying over the odds.....

To be fair, this is a very decent loan signing for us imo...

Played plenty of L2 games already & highly rated by both Swindon & Mansfield fans...
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 21:09:25 pm by memyhead » Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #1130 on: January 25, 2019, 18:04:49 pm »

Central midfielder according to wiki. Attacking midfielder according to his Derby profile and his interview when explaining his best position. Powell said he could play in the same position but also on either wing.
Report Spam   Logged
Glastonbury Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: January 25, 2019, 19:55:47 pm »

I also see Alex Jones whom we were once chasing has joined Caulderwood at Cambridge on loan
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #1132 on: January 25, 2019, 19:58:59 pm »

He was deffo playing down the left when he scored against us at Field Mill...of course, that was Cornell's fault!  Grin

He appears to be well thought of at Stags. By the way I thought he was quick.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
guest2995

« Reply #1133 on: January 25, 2019, 20:46:07 pm »

Do you ever finish a post without a 'the end is nigh' type comment?

Grin
Ha - I think the signings are all positive but what I meant by my comment was that they are short term fixes and not a build for next season.
I understand why - because it’s better to sign players permanently in the summer when contracts are up .
Fair enough.
At least it’s something to look forward to for tomorrow’s game.
Still no keeper though Clarence ?
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #1134 on: January 26, 2019, 06:06:06 am »

This lad sounds like he's got some pedigree at this level, and in my mind is a bit of a 'coup' given we are playing roulette on the 50p table.

Good work by Kieth by the sounds of it. Im optimistic that he wont be too far off of Crookes ability level, and maybe he could be a tad more consistent. Both signings this week should hopefully make us more creative, be stronger off of the bench and help win us enough games to see us through what has been a very frustrating campaign.

Im not bothered about whether we are bringing in loans or permanent players; if its any of the latter they need to be short term fixes (contract until the end of the season) or a signing that will give us some hope moving forward. Unlikely to happen this month (latter), but I live in hope!
Report Spam   Logged
Monkey

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #1135 on: January 26, 2019, 08:20:18 am »

Seem to be well covered now for Attacking midfielders, esp with the emergence of Bridge in the last few weeks... but the balance of the team is still not right (hasn't been since Wilder). Hopefully it will get resolved properly in the summer.

For the short term we need someone with a bit more grit, muscle and fight in midfield (ala Jason Taylor) as well as up front.
A CB would be good too but don't think we'll see that unless we can shift someone out (Taylor/Facey).

GK isn't a priority this window as Cornell is good enough at this level and if he got injured we would still be able to bring in an emergency loan.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #1136 on: January 26, 2019, 11:14:34 am »

Seem to be well covered now for Attacking midfielders, esp with the emergence of Bridge in the last few weeks... but the balance of the team is still not right (hasn't been since Wilder). Hopefully it will get resolved properly in the summer.

For the short term we need someone with a bit more grit, muscle and fight in midfield (ala Jason Taylor) as well as up front.
A CB would be good too but don't think we'll see that unless we can shift someone out (Taylor/Facey).

GK isn't a priority this window as Cornell is good enough at this level and if he got injured we would still be able to bring in an emergency loan.

Would keep Taylor - was good and will come good!
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #1137 on: January 26, 2019, 11:30:31 am »

With the play-offs seemings out of reach, Curle's remit consists of three key dimensions IMO:

1. Reach the 50+ point total which is normally sufficient to stay in the division
2. Start shaping the squad for next season
3. Continue to develop Williams, Pollock and McWilliams X2 and other promising youngsters

Given these priorities, I think this policy of signing loanees with potential makes a lot of sense.

There's no point in making eye-catching Van Veen type expensive signings unless they have the character and ability to genuinely improve us in the long term.

As others have said, what we need long term is a more balanced squad. For instance, Powell aside, we haven't had anything resembling a winger since Ariyibi and I'd say you need that option in the squad even just to provide a variation on 3-5-2.

If we're going to play 3-5-2 in the long-term - and Curle's history says we probably will - he will need particularly to start developing Facey into a proper right-wing back (or if this can't be done start scouting around for a summer alternative). I think Cox will be a good short term option as left wing back, and hopefully some of these loanees have been signed with a view to permanent deals. He also needs to get the balance in the midfield right and see if he can get the best out of John Joe when he returns.

Williams and Morais are decent but we probably need another striker long-term. Again though, I'd rather the club took their time on this rather than paying over the odds for the wrong character.   

Report Spam   Logged
Glastonbury Cobbler

View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: January 26, 2019, 20:41:55 pm »

one or two mentions of Jabo Ibehre around the ground today.

Any truth?

Might do a job till the end of the season?
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #1139 on: January 26, 2019, 20:51:35 pm »

one or two mentions of Jabo Ibehre around the ground today.

Any truth?

Might do a job till the end of the season?
Not sure what he offers that A Williams doesn’t, doesn’t seem a worthwhile signing.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 [57] 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 ... 88   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: