The Hotel End
March 19, 2024, 04:07:49 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Views on Keith Curle

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 33   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Views on Keith Curle  (Read 40387 times)
WasRambo

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #100 on: January 21, 2019, 09:26:37 am »

When Curlio took over we were relegation fodder.

After the initial bounce where we looked like we could actually be play off candidates, we've had a clear out (honestly don't know who's decision that was but tend to think it was more about money so maybe not Curlio's doing) we've settled back to what Northampton Town FC are - a bang average L2 side.

If you think we should be more than this then I think you have to look above the manager. OK, KT came in at the right (or wrong time depending on your disposition) and together with Wilder, not only got us out the cr@p but also gave us that false hope that we could actually be something more than a club that yo-yos between the bottom two tiers.

However, KT and whoever is latest allies are, are in it for one thing - the money. Now they've learned the hard way (rather than looking at every other case where someone has tried to make money out of this club) the rug is being pulled.

So, whilst we all want the best for the club, maybe we just have to accept what we are. Accept that basically, we get one good side every 8 or 9 years a la Carr, Wilder and to a lesser extent Calderwood, Atkins and Boothroyd and just go with it.

This club is a magnet for fools who think it's going to lay them a golden egg.

Until someone comes along with a pot of gold to spend on football and not as a prelude to making on top then this is what we are.

So, my thoughts on Curlio - he's probably doing as well as can be expected and deserves time and patience to see if he can bring on some youngsters and mix them with some astute signings.

That's it really....
Report Spam   Logged
threeinabed

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #101 on: January 21, 2019, 09:54:27 am »

we've had a clear out

crooks and KVV? - does that constitute a clear out?

waters was a terrible squad player and kasim was worse.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #102 on: January 21, 2019, 10:10:48 am »

Agreed
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #103 on: January 21, 2019, 10:17:32 am »

Agreed

We've got shot of circa 650k of the wages...whether that is a figure people believe or not, is up to them.

We've also recouped a few hundred grand in transfer fees. So about a million if you factor that in. Thats the loss that KT implied was coming, before a ball was kicked this season.

So as things stand I reckon we are roughly at break even level.

So as we sit now, its a blank canvass; anything else 'saved' should in theory be put back into the pot, to ensure that we stay up. Of course there is the argument that relegation will ultimately mean significant less revenue next season, so we are surely at the point NOW where a few quid needs to be invested back into the squad to ensure that doesn't happen.

We shall see...
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 21, 2019, 10:21:44 am »

Well said Fernando. Some of our supporters are beyond a joke.

Dan used to be a great supporter able to inter-relate with most supporters. Pity to see him join 'les miserables'.
Report Spam   Logged

DrillingCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 21, 2019, 10:31:17 am »

Dan used to be a great supporter able to inter-relate with most supporters. Pity to see him join 'les miserables'.

You do realise that Dan, and others that you describe as 'negative' are most likely 'positive' at the games and just vent their annoyances on here/twitter etc which is the precise point of such platforms. Works both ways. Id say our support was pretty positive at Cambridge given that we were rolled over for most of the 2nd half. Didn't hear any discontentment myself. And thats because how ever sh1t we are, most of the time people will try to enjoy a football match and take the most out of it. Also didn't hear any booing at the end; people I think were realistic, in that with an 18 year old and 17 year old anchoring the midfield there was heavy mitigation for such a 'lame display'.

If you believe that all is well in the boardroom and you are happy with whats going on, decisions that are being made etc, then thats cool. But sly little remarks towards those who maybe are not just reminds people that you had exactly the same agenda when DC was taking us to the cleaners, that you defended Page, JED, JFH and more recently Austin right to the point that they were sacked and only changed your tune after said events. 

I know you are desperately trying not to engage with 90% of this boards contributors; keep it up, its actually quite amusing!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 21, 2019, 11:42:27 am »

You do realise that Dan, and others that you describe as 'negative' are most likely 'positive' at the games and just vent their annoyances on here/twitter etc which is the precise point of such platforms. Works both ways. Id say our support was pretty positive at Cambridge given that we were rolled over for most of the 2nd half. Didn't hear any discontentment myself. And thats because how ever sh1t we are, most of the time people will try to enjoy a football match and take the most out of it. Also didn't hear any booing at the end; people I think were realistic, in that with an 18 year old and 17 year old anchoring the midfield there was heavy mitigation for such a 'lame display'.

If you believe that all is well in the boardroom and you are happy with whats going on, decisions that are being made etc, then thats cool. But sly little remarks towards those who maybe are not just reminds people that you had exactly the same agenda when DC was taking us to the cleaners, that you defended Page, JED, JFH and more recently Austin right to the point that they were sacked and only changed your tune after said events. 

I know you are desperately trying not to engage with 90% of this boards contributors; keep it up, its actually quite amusing!  Grin

Will reply later but you ŕre master of assumptions and about turns!
Report Spam   Logged

Dan

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #107 on: January 21, 2019, 12:32:24 pm »

Appreciate that mate. As always, did my bit to get the crowd going for the 90 and thought the fans were very supportive on the whole. As will be the case at Lincoln and Stevenage next month.

Most of my frustrations are firmly towards our owner. I went to his first meet and greet in 2016 and was sold the dream just like everyone else. But have fully accepted that he's filled us with a lot of false promises. I'll leave it here until the end of the transfer window as I'd like to think as an NTFC supporter, that our "Football man" in charge of the club is fully aware of how desperately we need reinforcements. Do the right thing Kelv.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2013
WasRambo

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 21, 2019, 12:37:33 pm »

OK, not exactly a fire sale but 1/5 of the probable first team and half it's "spine" if the spine is considered to be GK, CB, CM and CF.

I'm not saying we should have kept them necessarily - KvV and Crooks were undoubtedly our most talented players but also our most frustrating.

Even so, you'd think they were among the first names Curlio would be putting down each week and so far, it'd be hard to say he's been able to replaced them with equal or better - there's been no direct replacements signed and debatable whether Bridge and Morais are as good, certainly technically (though they may put more in).

Report Spam   Logged
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #109 on: January 21, 2019, 12:46:37 pm »

Fundamentally the goal is to reach 50 points or thereabouts and keep the club in the league. Yes, some fans, the odd player and bloody Oglethorpe on the radio have talked up our chances of a play off run but it is just not going to happen. Curle's role is to get us to the summer and hit a giant reset button on the squad.

I believe that we have the below players who are out of contract come May:
Coddington
Facey
Buchanan
Foley
Powell
Bowditch
Bridge
O'Toole
Iaciofano
Cox (loan)

Under contract beyond May:
Cornell
Odoffin
Taylor
Hoskins
A Williams
Morias
Pierre
McWilliams
Turnbull
J Williams
Roberts
Whaler
Waters
Bunney

I've left out Pollock & C McWilliams because I couldn't find their contractual situations.

Just one look at some of the people under contract beyond the end of this season tells you all you need to know. This is a big re-building job for Curle and it's going to take a year/18 months to get right.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #110 on: January 21, 2019, 12:49:46 pm »

Appreciate that mate. As always, did my bit to get the crowd going for the 90 and thought the fans were very supportive on the whole. As will be the case at Lincoln and Stevenage next month.

Agreed, and I believe that if it wasn't for their late winner the team would have been applauded from the field by all in the stand because we would have gotten a way with it.  
Unfortunately once their winner went in it was like a fire drill!
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 21, 2019, 12:52:13 pm »

Fundamentally the goal is to reach 50 points or thereabouts and keep the club in the league. Yes, some fans, the odd player and bloody Oglethorpe on the radio have talked up our chances of a play off run but it is just not going to happen. Curle's role is to get us to the summer and hit a giant reset button on the squad.

I believe that we have the below players who are out of contract come May:
Coddington
Facey
Buchanan
Foley
Powell
Bowditch
Bridge
O'Toole
Iaciofano
Cox (loan)

Under contract beyond May:
Cornell
Odoffin
Taylor
Hoskins
A Williams
Morias
Pierre
McWilliams
Turnbull
J Williams
Roberts
Whaler
Waters
Bunney

I've left out Pollock & C McWilliams because I couldn't find their contractual situations.

Just one look at some of the people under contract beyond the end of this season tells you all you need to know. This is a big re-building job for Curle and it's going to take a year/18 months to get right.

Theres not a lot of wages tied up beyond this season; only 4 or 5 of that lot are going to be on decent wedge, or beyond this divisions average wage. And you'd probably carry them in any case, Taylor plus Bunney aside. Bunney may be a problem, he's barely played this season.

KC should have plenty of room to go and get his jigsaw pieces come May, assuming he has a 'competitive overall budget' of course.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 21, 2019, 13:34:12 pm »

a)You do realise that Dan, and others that you describe as 'negative' ......

b)If you believe that all is well in the boardroom and you are happy with whats going on, decisions that are being made etc, then thats cool. But sly little remarks towards those who maybe are not just reminds people that you had exactly the same agenda when DC was taking us to the cleaners, that you defended Page, JED, JFH and more recently Austin right to the point that they were sacked and only changed your tune after said events. 

c)I know you are desperately trying not to engage with 90% of this boards contributors; keep it up, its actually quite amusing!  Grin

a)I never called Dan negative ; I know Dan too! He does very well in cheerleading too. My opinion is that he seems to be slipping slowly into the negative camp at least on here which I think is a pity. I appreciate if you withdraw your misleading comments.

b) This is typical Drilling baloney. Nobody is happy on here with KT /Boardroom current situation  as he has not finished the East Stand Off. Please advise me with instances on the sly little remarks I have made in the context of your opening sentence in b). If you cannot please offer an apology to put this wrong right. Then you had the nerve to mention DC etc when I have reiterated my stance. You merely post comments to suit yr agenda. Again please apologize for misleading observations. This coming from the bloke who vilified CW and several players too!

c) Not sure what you are getting at Huh? What is the point of the emoji?

I would suggest you calm down abit and remember we all have to put an extremely disappointing result behind us without too many of us getting so negative to the point of making extreme comments.  
Report Spam   Logged

WasRambo

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 21, 2019, 13:36:41 pm »

Facey, Foley and Bridge are the only ones (at this moment) I'd be keen to hang on to. They can all do a job at this level. I still think Facey will come good with the right nurturing

Taylor and Waters probably need to be shifted but the rest of those under contract are fine by me.

Hoskins and Bunney are maginals for me. I still think there's a player in Bunney and don't believe he's been particularly well treated by previous managers.

That said, it doesn't look like Curlio fancies him much otherwise surely we'd have recalled (assuming we can)

Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 21, 2019, 13:56:36 pm »

a)I never called Dan negative ; I know Dan too! He does very well in cheerleading too. My opinion is that he seems to be slipping slowly into the negative camp at least on here which I think is a pity. I appreciate if you withdraw your misleading comments.

b) This is typical Drilling baloney. Nobody is happy on here with KT /Boardroom current situation  as he has not finished the East Stand Off. Please advise me with instances on the sly little remarks I have made in the context of your opening sentence in b). If you cannot please offer an apology to put this wrong right. Then you had the nerve to mention DC etc when I have reiterated my stance. You merely post comments to suit yr agenda. Again please apologize for misleading observations. This coming from the bloke who vilified CW and several players too!

c) Not sure what you are getting at Huh? What is the point of the emoji?

I would suggest you calm down abit and remember we all have to put an extremely disappointing result behind us without too many of us getting so negative to the point of making extreme comments.  

If this was a court course, and this was your closing statement in defence, I wouldn't even bother with a statement of my own. Theres enough out there for the jury to make a decision!  Grin

However, its a forum. So Ill have a go at answering you. Look mate. I have nothing personal against the chairman, and I've made that point many times. I have nothing personal against any of our players, even Ash Taylor. I've even remarked that I believe him to be a decent player, just wrong club wrong time in my opinion. I've defended Hoskins to the hilt, where the majority have been more than negative towards his contributions (on here, not at games I hasten to add).

If you have followed my general observations with regards to the ownership of the club, I have only been highly critical of it during the last few weeks. Prior to that, I was 'main stream'. However. There comes a time when enough is enough. I've also been privy to some good information which has pushed me towards being considerably more opinionated on the matter. I have shared some of that information, albeit I have not said who my source is. And wont. To summarise it, I believe the current board is now not actively looking to sell, unless it gets a stupid offer from someone. That is speculative admittedly, Im merely explaining to you why I am rather anti certain aspects of the football club at this present moment in time.The selling of KVV and Crookes, that was called months ago, and not just by me but several people. It was inevitable, especially given the position in the league we find ourselves in. But our situation is now much worse than it was at the start of the transfer window, and with Macclesfield's resurgence and an upcoming game versus the divisions 22nd placed team, it come be 3 points very very soon, especially if we have to put out a side resembling the side that played in the 2nd half at Cambridge. This is a big week for us.

Report Spam   Logged
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #115 on: January 21, 2019, 13:58:01 pm »

Out of my list above I would say that the only ones I would be pissed off if we lost are McWilliams, Morias, Pierre, Turnbull and possibly O’Toole for sentimental reasons.

Even Pierre & Turnbull are pretty marginal.

The rest, except the youth players / J Williams can all do one as far as I am concerned.

I would not be offering deals to any of the out of contract players.

I may change my tune if Bridge becomes a proper number 10 to hang on to.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 21, 2019, 14:09:07 pm »

If this was a court course, and this was your closing statement in defence, I wouldn't even bother with a statement of my own. Theres enough out there for the jury to make a decision!  Grin

However, its a forum. So Ill have a go at answering you. Look mate. I have nothing personal against the chairman, and I've made that point many times. I have nothing personal against any of our players, even Ash Taylor. I've even remarked that I believe him to be a decent player, just wrong club wrong time in my opinion. I've defended Hoskins to the hilt, where the majority have been more than negative towards his contributions (on here, not at games I hasten to add).

If you have followed my general observations with regards to the ownership of the club, I have only been highly critical of it during the last few weeks. Prior to that, I was 'main stream'. However. There comes a time when enough is enough. I've also been privy to some good information which has pushed me towards being considerably more opinionated on the matter. I have shared some of that information, albeit I have not said who my source is. And wont. To summarise it, I believe the current board is now not actively looking to sell, unless it gets a stupid offer from someone. That is speculative admittedly, Im merely explaining to you why I am rather anti certain aspects of the football club at this present moment in time.The selling of KVV and Crookes, that was called months ago, and not just by me but several people. It was inevitable, especially given the position in the league we find ourselves in. But our situation is now much worse than it was at the start of the transfer window, and with Macclesfield's resurgence and an upcoming game versus the divisions 22nd placed team, it come be 3 points very very soon, especially if we have to put out a side resembling the side that played in the 2nd half at Cambridge. This is a big week for us.

The argument should be based on your first message not hearsay from other people.  The simple fact is you as usual have over reacted to Saturdays defeat and no long winded replies will disguise that.
Report Spam   Logged

DrillingCobbler

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 21, 2019, 14:15:32 pm »

The argument should be based on your first message not hearsay from other people.  The simple fact is you as usual have over reacted to Saturdays defeat and no long winded replies will disguise that.

I haven't over reacted, unless you count the hour or so after I got home afterwards. Which I basically acknowledged at the time.

Our league position is now precariously; and could be considerably more so IF we lose on Saturday. Of course, if we were to win then we will probably be alright treading water for 2-3 weeks afterwards.

Like I said, its a big week.

Report Spam   Logged
JollyCobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #118 on: January 21, 2019, 14:28:20 pm »

I haven't over reacted, unless you count the hour or so after I got home afterwards. Which I basically acknowledged at the time.

Our league position is now precariously; and could be considerably more so IF we lose on Saturday. Of course, if we were to win then we will probably be alright treading water for 2-3 weeks afterwards.

Like I said, its a big week.

I wouldn't even bother, mate. You'd have more success trying to educate treacle. Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Mathius

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 21, 2019, 14:32:59 pm »

Out of my list above I would say that the only ones I would be pissed off if we lost are McWilliams, Morias, Pierre, Turnbull and possibly O’Toole for sentimental reasons.

Even Pierre & Turnbull are pretty marginal.

The rest, except the youth players / J Williams can all do one as far as I am concerned.

I would not be offering deals to any of the out of contract players.

I may change my tune if Bridge becomes a proper number 10 to hang on to.
Maybe Foley?
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 33   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: