The Hotel End
March 19, 2024, 02:31:27 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Views on Keith Curle

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... 33   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Views on Keith Curle  (Read 40339 times)
Mathius

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« Reply #340 on: February 19, 2019, 14:19:34 pm »

Don’t get me wrong I’d rather see one of our own in the first team than joe Powell or elsnik and unless they’re given an opportunity we’ll never know if they’re ready, but with the possible exception of Jay Williams (who still needs to fill out a bit which will come as he matures) are any of the others physically ready for league football? I agree with Coolcat to a degree in saying that when Morgan Roberts came on he looked about 14 - it wouldn’t be so much of an issue if he was rapid but he didn’t look particularly quick.
It's why I mentioned the centre back. He has the physicality to men's football.
Report Spam   Logged
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #341 on: February 19, 2019, 14:22:03 pm »

Morgan has the skill, pace and awareness to be the next Michael Jacobs but what he does not have is experience, which I hope he gets once we are safe in League 2 this season (along with 2 or 3 others).

Yes he is slight but Messi and Silva seem to cope!

Fair do’s, sounds an exciting prospect - let’s hope he gets a few more chances before the end of the season.
Report Spam   Logged
Mathius

View Profile
« Reply #342 on: February 19, 2019, 14:23:12 pm »

Isn't Goff injured? The reason he doesn't get mentioned is that with Coddington still on the books, KC is always going to put him on the bench.

If Coddington is released in the summer (you would presume this would happen), I would expect Goff to get a new contract and play the back up role to Cornell.
Wasn't talking about Goff. Sort of proves my point. Goff has returned to training recently. Will probably play a part in the game today. I know KC wants to see him play.
Report Spam   Logged
The Rauldinho

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #343 on: February 19, 2019, 15:03:54 pm »

Wasn't talking about Goff. Sort of proves my point. Goff has returned to training recently. Will probably play a part in the game today. I know KC wants to see him play.

Certainly does, as their doesn't seem to be much championing of another keeper on our books.

Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #344 on: February 19, 2019, 15:42:25 pm »

Bradley Lashley who has been on work experience at Wellingborough. I take it this is who you were referring to Mathius? 
Report Spam   Logged
Mathius

View Profile
« Reply #345 on: February 19, 2019, 15:45:07 pm »

Certainly does, as their doesn't seem to be much championing of another keeper on our books.

Think the centre back and keeper are 2 of the most underrated players in the squad. We also have a striker with over 20 goals playing for Wellingborough tonight. I just hope we don't lose some of these players because of one person's opinion; especially, when there's a good chance that person won't be around a year from now. In a forward-thinking club, KT would confer with his academy staff and make these decisions himself. Why rely entirely on the view of a manager when they have such a short shelf life.
Report Spam   Logged
Mathius

View Profile
« Reply #346 on: February 19, 2019, 15:47:26 pm »

Bradley Lashley who has been on work experience at Wellingborough. I take it this is who you were referring to Mathius? 
Yes, TP. Purely my opinion but I think he's the best since Bunn.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3063

« Reply #347 on: February 19, 2019, 15:52:10 pm »

It's why I mentioned the centre back. He has the physicality to men's football.

Ryan Hughes? Work experience at St Neots Town.
Report Spam   Logged
606 Parklands_Cobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Mobile User
« Reply #348 on: February 19, 2019, 16:44:20 pm »

You can mentioned their names. They are our players.
Report Spam   Logged
bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #349 on: February 19, 2019, 17:18:43 pm »

As others have said, there's nothing inherently defensive about 4-2-3-1 and Wilder employed it with great success in our title winning season. The problems on Saturday were:

1. If you play a 5ft 8 lone frontman in L2 then you better be a very decent footballing side. We aren't. Defenders at this level need an 'out' ball and there is a reason why the vast majority of L2 sides play with a targetman. Rico could make the lone frontman role work due to his intelligent hold up play and strength; Hoskins simply doesn't have these attributes.

2. The three behind the striker had never played together in this system before and it showed.

Players at this level need the simplicity and automaticity which comes from playing a regular system. The more they have to 'think' spontaneously the more they will struggle. Curle blamed individual decision making on the radio, but if the system is clearly defined then the malign influence of individual decisions is minimised.

I'm no fan of 3-5-2, but that's the system Curle has introduced and he should have brought Jay Williams in and stuck to it on Saturday.

When I look at any side I always think: what are the routes to goal? In Wilder's side, there were a multitude: wide men cross into Rico; widemen cut inside and get a shot away; Rico lays it off to widemen/O'Toole arriving late.

Looking at the side on Saturday, only two routes to goal presented themselves: set piece or Hoskins somehow springing the offside trap.

If Curle actually wants to win games rather than simply avoiding defeat then he needs to have a serious rethink.

Report Spam   Logged
guest3114

« Reply #350 on: February 19, 2019, 18:43:32 pm »

As others have said, there's nothing inherently defensive about 4-2-3-1 and Wilder employed it with great success in our title winning season. The problems on Saturday were:

1. If you play a 5ft 8 lone frontman in L2 then you better be a very decent footballing side. We aren't. Defenders at this level need an 'out' ball and there is a reason why the vast majority of L2 sides play with a targetman. Rico could make the lone frontman role work due to his intelligent hold up play and strength; Hoskins simply doesn't have these attributes.

2. The three behind the striker had never played together in this system before and it showed.

Players at this level need the simplicity and automaticity which comes from playing a regular system. The more they have to 'think' spontaneously the more they will struggle. Curle blamed individual decision making on the radio, but if the system is clearly defined then the malign influence of individual decisions is minimised.

I'm no fan of 3-5-2, but that's the system Curle has introduced and he should have brought Jay Williams in and stuck to it on Saturday.

When I look at any side I always think: what are the routes to goal? In Wilder's side, there were a multitude: wide men cross into Rico; widemen cut inside and get a shot away; Rico lays it off to widemen/O'Toole arriving late.

Looking at the side on Saturday, only two routes to goal presented themselves: set piece or Hoskins somehow springing the offside trap.

If Curle actually wants to win games rather than simply avoiding defeat then he needs to have a serious rethink.

So, wide men is the route then? That’s fine we’ve got just the players in, er, I’ll get back to you.
Report Spam   Logged
Mathius

View Profile
« Reply #351 on: February 19, 2019, 19:02:25 pm »

Ryan Hughes? Work experience at St Neots Town.
yes
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #352 on: February 19, 2019, 20:10:35 pm »

Think the centre back and keeper are 2 of the most underrated players in the squad. We also have a striker with over 20 goals playing for Wellingborough tonight. I just hope we don't lose some of these players because of one person's opinion; especially, when there's a good chance that person won't be around a year from now. In a forward-thinking club, KT would confer with his academy staff and make these decisions himself. Why rely entirely on the view of a manager when they have such a short shelf life.
..... unless the academy manager took on more of a first team role ...
Report Spam   Logged
Mathius

View Profile
« Reply #353 on: February 20, 2019, 08:36:54 am »

..... unless the academy manager took on more of a first team role ...
The new guy seems a decent bloke. Don't know what sort of relationship he has with KC.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #354 on: February 20, 2019, 17:17:22 pm »

The new guy seems a decent bloke. Don't know what sort of relationship he has with KC.
I didn’t mean him Smiley
We have got probably the best crop of youngsters we have ever had and maybe we should do a “ Gareth Southgate” just a thought ....
I do accept that too many of them in the same team is dangerous , as exemplified at Cambridge when I believe they were thrown under the bus .
Report Spam   Logged
Mathius

View Profile
« Reply #355 on: February 20, 2019, 20:25:49 pm »

I see. He probably would be successful. Don't know how many of the current youth team are ready now - maybe none of them - yet. But I've said before, this team have been doing it for years. It hasn't just happened. JB has been good for their development but they were winning already when he joined the club. Except for last year when TG insisted on giving older players preference when it came to team selection. A few of the current 2nd years didn't get much game time last season.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #356 on: February 20, 2019, 21:44:05 pm »

I see. He probably would be successful. Don't know how many of the current youth team are ready now - maybe none of them - yet. But I've said before, this team have been doing it for years. It hasn't just happened. JB has been good for their development but they were winning already when he joined the club. Except for last year when TG insisted on giving older players preference when it came to team selection. A few of the current 2nd years didn't get much game time last season.
It would be great if we could take our Golden Generation and take them through to the first team under the guidance of their mentor !
It’s not going to happen , as you suggest but what an acheivment that would be .
Report Spam   Logged
Mathius

View Profile
« Reply #357 on: February 21, 2019, 07:48:02 am »

It would be great if we could take our Golden Generation and take them through to the first team under the guidance of their mentor !
It’s not going to happen , as you suggest but what an acheivment that would be .

I agree. I think the club will baulk over paying a minimal wage to some of them. As a result, we will lose players, that on other years, probably would have been offered a pro deal. Giving a first pro deal is always a gamble but for a minimum investment. Looking at the obscene money paid to recent managers and players makes it even more frustrating.
Report Spam   Logged
Manwork04

View Profile
Windows User Mobile User Spammer 25 Posts in one day
« Reply #358 on: February 21, 2019, 07:55:45 am »

real shame, I guess this just proves KTs medium to long term strategy.
Report Spam   Logged

Rule Britannia
Mathius

View Profile
« Reply #359 on: February 21, 2019, 08:39:35 am »

real shame, I guess this just proves KTs medium to long term strategy.
I agree. Otherwise they would have an U23s in place for next season.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 [18] 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 ... 33   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: