The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 18:11:16 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Kelvin Thomas

Poll
Question: Should KT remain in his position at NTFC ?  (Voting closed: January 15, 2019, 21:03:57 pm)
Yes - 40 (51.9%)
No - 37 (48.1%)
Total Voters: 67

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kelvin Thomas  (Read 9917 times)
Another Pedj

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Search Apple User Windows User
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2019, 09:17:45 am »

The Trust should be all over the books after the Cardoza reign.

On what basis. They are only a minority shareholder. Unless the Companies articles allow it they have no right to access any financial information other than the Annual accounts
Report Spam   Logged
claretparrot

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2019, 09:18:27 am »

Does anyone know (the Trust possibly) when the club will need a further cash injection from the owners to keep going ? The witching hour must be coming soon - season ticket cash spent, very high wage bill to pay, knocked out of all cup competitions, very few additional persons prepared to watch mediocre League 2 football, most valuable asset sold on the first (?) day of the transfer window.

Is the Football League subsidy paid in instalments through the season or in one lump sum ?

Isn't this just a description of the average season over the last couple of decades? Aside from selling a valuable asset on day one of the window, which of course brought cash into the club and reduced the wage bill
Report Spam   Logged
BedsCobb

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2019, 10:07:28 am »

I believe he is doing the best he can within current constraints
Of which are entirely his/ their own making.
Had he, over 3 and a half years ago, worked with the clubs supporters and the whole town of Northampton to steadily and sustainability build the club up to be more self sufficient and league 1 ready he would've found things a whole lot easier today.
Back then he gave me the the impression his thoughts on NTFC are that of a small insignificant  back water football club that could provide valuble land deals if he could just keep the trusting natives happy with a few token gestures and then stringing out their  redevelopment hopes by hiding behind excuse after excuse after excuse.
For the above, I fully blame all those who were privy to his initial 'meet and greet' where those present representing the wishes of NTFC said nothing to demand action or correct his lowly thoughts on the club he had just taken over!
Now they have achieved their aims acquiring  council land deals/ leases, their time at our club has fully run its course and now should allow our club the oppertunity to move forward without any further delay.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2090

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2019, 13:07:58 pm »

until an alternative is found, yes of course.
yes the stadium is a mess, yes we are back in L2, but you cannot argue with the spending in the summer of 17, January 18 and lack of A firesale in the summer of 18.  The team has been given loads of backing financially. 
Report Spam   Logged
meccanostand

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2019, 13:52:30 pm »

until an alternative is found, yes of course.
yes the stadium is a mess, yes we are back in L2, but you cannot argue with the spending in the summer of 17, January 18 and lack of A firesale in the summer of 18.  The team has been given loads of backing financially. 

It's not about just setting a budget it's about a transfer policy etc
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 13:54:12 pm by meccanostand » Report Spam   Logged
claretparrot

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2019, 14:05:53 pm »

Agree that transfer policy is important, but I'm not sure it is (or should be) the responsibility of the owner
Report Spam   Logged
meccanostand

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2019, 14:14:42 pm »

Agree that transfer policy is important, but I'm not sure it is (or should be) the responsibility of the owner

Its a rounded process. Of course you need someone in charge with a bit of nous, of course it needs direction. The shelf life of a manager is so short now.
Report Spam   Logged
Winslow Lee

View Profile
Search Apple User Mobile User
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2019, 14:20:37 pm »

Would like to see us make better use of the youth team, even as bit part players rather than almost two teams with of journeymen.
Report Spam   Logged
claretparrot

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2019, 14:20:56 pm »

Its a rounded process. Of course you need someone in charge with a bit of nous, of course it needs direction. The shelf life of a manager is so short now.

An owner absolutely needs to be providing challenge and not blindly handing out cash. However, most owners aren't 'football people' (KT is an exception to some extent), and so I definitely wouldn't be comfortable with the owner devising and implementing an overall transfer policy.

I struggle to think of a signing under KT that, on announcement, was considered crazy or financially irresponsible by even a majority on here. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 14:22:55 pm by claretparrot » Report Spam   Logged
BackOfTheNet

View Profile
Search Level 6 Combination
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2019, 14:57:16 pm »

Here's my take on things. The parent company of the firm I work for got into financial bother a while back. It was nothing to do with us but it affected our cash flow and we had to go out and get a large credit facility put into place to tide us over. We got one and continued to operate as normal, but the company that offered the facility did so at a premium. We had to take it because without it we'd have been in trouble.

The company we borrowed from has no affinity with us or our line of business, no loyalty to us and no long term interest in our success - they simply saw a business opportunity and took it. Maybe they were taking advantage to a degree but the truth is, we owe them our survival.

The same is true for KT and DB. They are football people, certainly but first and foremost they are businessmen. They aren't Cobblers fans and they have (I presume) no long term desire to stay at the club. They didn't leap in out of the goodness of their hearts. They saw an opportunity and took it. As much as it pains some people to admit, the bulk of that opportunity wasn't a L2 football team on the bones of its arse, it was the associated land that surrounds it.

At the time, I'm sure we'd all agree it was a mutually beneficial relationship - in the short term they bail us out, steady the ship and get the east stand usable again (which it is, even if it's s***) and in the medium term they turn a profit from developing the surrounding land and (ideally) finishing off the east stand before moving along.

The problem is, the medium term has turned out to be a lot longer than anyone anticipated and it's given some people time to think about it and start going "hang on a minute, he's not a Cobblers fan, he's just here to make money!" and have started to work themselves into a lather about it.

The truth is, when KT and DB bailed us out we were happy to take their hands off because it saved our club. Maybe it's just because I'm a cold hearted capitalist and not an idealist, but to me we owe them the chance to make their money back, just as my company will eventually have to pay off the expensive credit facility we were granted.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National* Sweepstake Champion 2020
1971cobbler

View Profile
Level 5 Search Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2019, 15:16:10 pm »

Here's my take on things. The parent company of the firm I work for got into financial bother a while back. It was nothing to do with us but it affected our cash flow and we had to go out and get a large credit facility put into place to tide us over. We got one and continued to operate as normal, but the company that offered the facility did so at a premium. We had to take it because without it we'd have been in trouble.

The company we borrowed from has no affinity with us or our line of business, no loyalty to us and no long term interest in our success - they simply saw a business opportunity and took it. Maybe they were taking advantage to a degree but the truth is, we owe them our survival.

The same is true for KT and DB. They are football people, certainly but first and foremost they are businessmen. They aren't Cobblers fans and they have (I presume) no long term desire to stay at the club. They didn't leap in out of the goodness of their hearts. They saw an opportunity and took it. As much as it pains some people to admit, the bulk of that opportunity wasn't a L2 football team on the bones of its arse, it was the associated land that surrounds it.

At the time, I'm sure we'd all agree it was a mutually beneficial relationship - in the short term they bail us out, steady the ship and get the east stand usable again (which it is, even if it's ****) and in the medium term they turn a profit from developing the surrounding land and (ideally) finishing off the east stand before moving along.

The problem is, the medium term has turned out to be a lot longer than anyone anticipated and it's given some people time to think about it and start going "hang on a minute, he's not a Cobblers fan, he's just here to make money!" and have started to work themselves into a lather about it.

The truth is, when KT and DB bailed us out we were happy to take their hands off because it saved our club. Maybe it's just because I'm a cold hearted capitalist and not an idealist, but to me we owe them the chance to make their money back, just as my company will eventually have to pay off the expensive credit facility we were granted.

Best post yet in my opinion, which explains the situation perfectly.

Report Spam   Logged
guest2090

« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2019, 15:27:32 pm »

How many of the signings in the summer of 17 or Jan 18 did any of us disagree with.  There will be exceptions, but on paper we brought good players with good experience.  I am no super KT fan, but allowing your manager to manage and make decisions about his team and incomings and outgoings surely is a tick in the box for KT.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2090

« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2019, 15:29:43 pm »

At the time, I'm sure we'd all agree it was a mutually beneficial relationship - in the short term they bail us out, steady the ship and get the east stand usable again (which it is, even if it's ****) and in the medium term they turn a profit from developing the surrounding land and (ideally) finishing off the east stand before moving along.

this reads like a fair and honest summary of where we are.
Report Spam   Logged
Turf Claret

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2019, 15:30:42 pm »

I think you've summed it up quite cogently there. The truth is sometimes hard to accept.
Report Spam   Logged
BedsCobb

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2019, 15:46:46 pm »

Best post yet in my opinion, which explains the situation perfectly.

No it doesn't,  his company was on the bones of its ar5e with no other option,  Our football club could've been saved by dozens of others but sadly didn't get a look in so we were stuck with you.
Report Spam   Logged
BedsCobb

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2019, 15:51:25 pm »

Let's not forget it was the council writing of the £10m that SAVED our club... no one else.
Report Spam   Logged
guest2090

« Reply #36 on: January 09, 2019, 15:52:24 pm »

No it doesn't,  his company was on the bones of its ar5e with no other option,  Our football club could've been saved by dozens of others but sadly didn't get a look in so we were stuck with you.

Who are these 'dozens' and where are they now?  The club is up for sale.
Report Spam   Logged
meccanostand

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 09, 2019, 15:55:13 pm »

Some interesting points there but

Not sure what line of work you are in but it sounds an awkward comparison. Making their money back sure in terms of personal infrastructural investment and basic business costs but that's about it.

We don't know what other interested parties there were at the time.

How are Kelvin Thomas and David Bower football people? Whatever that means anyway.

The Council have stated that the the Bower/Thomas consortium indicated they had immediate funds to finish the East Stand on their takeover. There was no mention of profit from developing surrounding land (if that is the case).

Whether they "saved"  the club or it could have been righted by other parties or other means is again, open to argument.

Finishing the East Stand will be no panacea anyway. The issues at the club are more wide ranging and more embedded. I would agree though that hounding KT out is not the answer. The club needs a vision with or without him.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 15:58:05 pm by meccanostand » Report Spam   Logged
meccanostand

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 09, 2019, 15:57:03 pm »

Who are these 'dozens' and where are they now?  The club is up for sale.

At what price?
Report Spam   Logged
guest2090

« Reply #39 on: January 09, 2019, 16:10:29 pm »

At what price?

i think we can all agree that 'dozens' is a significant exaggeration of the truth.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: