The Hotel End
April 18, 2024, 01:57:44 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Cobblers Tactics.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cobblers Tactics.  (Read 1045 times)
defender

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
« on: February 19, 2011, 07:11:35 am »

Ian Sampson say's that he wants to play attacking 'good to watch' football. I do admire the man for his ideas but,- that is fine if you have a very good squad. say in the Championship at least, I have very strong doubts about them working lower down the divisions, even if you get out of our division playing like this you are going to find it very tough when you go up as other managers have found out, For a small club like us you must have a very strong,tough squad that can fight and snuff out better, richer sides. as we ourselves proved in the past, the best examples being our one season in the old division two under Bowen and the two promotion years with Atkins in charge,   I am sure this will open up a 'can of worms' with some of you but I think it's a strong point.opinions?
Report Spam   Logged

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

auntie

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 07:50:31 am »

I would add to your examples the colin calderwood promotion team despite peoples loathing of his style and tactics. I for one was a big fan of CC's approach to everything connected to our Club. Today I shall turn up not having a clue what side sammo is putting out, what his formation will be and whether the players are up for it. At this stage of his tenure that aint good is it?
Report Spam   Logged
oldbloke

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 08:18:43 am »

I agree. It's good to have the ideal of "Total Football" but at the moment we are unable to dominate a game and be on top of the opposition long enough for it to be effective. It was noticeable that the one true footballing side that has come to Sixfields this year, Crewe, we were able to play. Most of the visiting teams seem to have a hard steel core running through the defence midfield and attack and with the uses of muscle and bully boy tactics can usually spoil a game. If that can be coupled with a bit of football when the time comes, then we'll have a good formula. But as has been said never quite sure what's going to turn up on the pitch game to game.
Report Spam   Logged
SteveRiches

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 09:12:32 am »

I would add to your examples the colin calderwood promotion team despite peoples loathing of his style and tactics. I for one was a big fan of CC's approach to everything connected to our Club. Today I shall turn up not having a clue what side sammo is putting out, what his formation will be and whether the players are up for it. At this stage of his tenure that aint good is it?
Surely you haven't forgotten Calderwood's constant chopping and changing where someone was playing one week and not even on the bench the next? Some of his decisons defied logic, and we had a woeful home record for one of his seasons as a result. He had his good and his bad times, I respected much of what he did as a manager but in the end I felt that for the funds he was given he took far too long to achieve the eventual promotion. I was one of those who sat and blubbed my eyes out when we made a pig's ear of the vital playoff game at Southend in 2005, and that was after losing the playoff semi-final the previous year too. Calderwood was out of his depth when the pressure was on in both those sequences of games, in each case he was tactically out-thought by the opposition managers. Also, he took Eric Sabin off at Southend when he was the only player likely to get a goal that day (not that Sabin was the best of forwards, but on that day he looked OK). I'm sure Calderwood has wised-up and is a good manager these days, but we had him in his learning and development stage, so he made mistakes. He was always quite astute on his defensive selections and tactics, but up front he was out of his depth.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 09:14:25 am by SteveRiches » Report Spam   Logged
Marvo

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 09:27:23 am »

Today I shall turn up not having a clue what side sammo is putting out, what his formation will be and whether the players are up for it. At this stage of his tenure that aint good is it?

It's very hard to detect a persons mood just from a post but I've got to say Paul that has come across as from somebody who is quite depressed with the situation?

As for Calderwood, excellent in the organisation department, brought some much needed professionalism to the club however I agree with Steve, considering the advantages we had and the backing he received, took far too long getting us out of the bottom division. Had he done it at the first time of asking there would still have been funds available to atke us further. An opportunity missed.
Report Spam   Logged
Ted

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 10:13:46 am »

Nothing now surprises me with regards to Sammo's potpourri team selction and tactics.I just turn up, hope for the best and have a bloody good moan on here afterwards. Smiley
Report Spam   Logged
Ralap

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 10:26:58 am »

Rochdales football last seasonwas a joy to watch. Before todays game they are a couple of points off the play offs in league 1. You may say they are the example that proves the point but I would remain optimistic that teams can just as easily get out of this division playing a passing game. Wether we are capable of that is very doubtful especially after tuesdays showing.
What annoyed me most about tuesdays game other than, as Alton pointed out, the pin-point inaccuracy of our passing was the continual high balls from defence to Leon and Shaun going over the heads of four ball playing midfielders.

Very frustrating.
Report Spam   Logged
SATURDAY BANANA

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2011, 10:40:58 am »

Nothing now surprises me with regards to Sammo's potpourri team selction and tactics.I just turn up, hope for the best and have a bloody good moan on here afterwards. Smiley

No s***... Roll Eyes
Report Spam   Logged
Ted

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2011, 10:47:09 am »

No sh*t... Roll Eyes

Oh, and I forgot to mention, to irritate the same old suckers. Grin
Report Spam   Logged
SATURDAY BANANA

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 11:52:06 am »

Oh, and I forgot to mention, to irritate the same old suckers. Grin

Funny how you say "I'm winding you all up" every time...when clearly you mean what you say.
Report Spam   Logged
Chamois

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 12:25:06 pm »

I think it was a mistake not to keep going forward on Tuesday, bearing in mind how poor we were defending. However, how much that is the manager's fault, and how much players' poor play is a debatable point. It will be interesting to see the midfield line-up today, given the disjointed effort versus Morecambe.
Report Spam   Logged

"Every Cobblers player is a potential hero, not the villain some portray him as" (to the sound of 'All Together Now').
Norfolk_In_Chance

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2011, 16:11:40 pm »

It doesn't matter what formation we play, Holt must be in the team, he's our captain and been playing well
Report Spam   Logged
Chamois

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2011, 16:18:33 pm »

He's not fully fit, that's why he is on the bench.
Report Spam   Logged

"Every Cobblers player is a potential hero, not the villain some portray him as" (to the sound of 'All Together Now').
Norfolk_In_Chance

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2011, 16:35:36 pm »

He's not fully fit, that's why he is on the bench.

he is clearly fit enough to start judging by his substitute performances, and is hardly one to be saved as an impact player, more likely one who sets our tone, giving us balance and experience in midfield
Report Spam   Logged
EastNpton

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2011, 16:38:48 pm »

It doesn't matter what formation we play, Holt must be in the team, he's our captain and been playing well

Holt was fu*king sh*t today
Report Spam   Logged
Jamesyboy

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2011, 16:54:01 pm »

it was a job to pick anyone out from that s***e second half performance Sad
Report Spam   Logged
EastNpton

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2011, 16:58:28 pm »

No but when you put Holt on ahead ofd Davis you wanna see him do something and Holt didnt even chase shadows he watched them. Pointless him being on the pitch and to put him on with a decent portion of the match left...crap
Report Spam   Logged
Lanky Cobbler

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Combination
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2011, 17:10:30 pm »

The thread should be called 'Cobblers have no tactics'. Sammo is saying he wants to get the ball down and play?! Well the players aren't paying any attention to him then as we continue to lump it up to the helpless top 2 who i feel sorry for. Leon had a go at beckwith on numerous times today and upon hearing him shout 'give me a f**king chance' says it all really. We're sh*t and we need a new man in chance with half a clue on how to organise a team and get the best out of the quality of player we have here
Report Spam   Logged
Dr Feelgood

View Profile
Level 6 Linux User Mobile User
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2011, 17:13:16 pm »

The thread should be called 'Cobblers have no tactics'. Sammo is saying he wants to get the ball down and play?! Well the players aren't paying any attention to him then as we continue to lump it up to the helpless top 2 who i feel sorry for. Leon had a go at beckwith on numerous times today and upon hearing him shout 'give me a f**king chance' says it all really. We're sh*t and we need a new man in chance with half a clue on how to organise a team and get the best out of the quality of player we have here
I actually agree..Results Results Results and we're not getting them. Sammo seems to be bulletproof
Report Spam   Logged

For goodness sake Doc we are NOT going down  Grin   you heard it here 1st  Wink

(I damn well hope that does not come back to haunt me)
DustCobb

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2011, 19:03:15 pm »

Spot on about the 2 up front, feel so sorry for Leon and Shaun.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: