The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 09:01:30 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

TRANMERE

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TRANMERE  (Read 11119 times)
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #140 on: February 05, 2019, 22:30:17 pm »

Just seen the highlights. Hoskins 2nd was a complete fluke but who's complaining! 'bout time we had some good fortune. Took his first well though. Hopefully give him some confidence in front of goal.

Both commentators said it was a great goal particularly Smith who commented his goal was well crafted and taken. You say it was a fluke the commentators thought otherwise.  Opinions....Opinions  - so difficult who to believe Lips Sealed
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 05, 2019, 22:32:23 pm »

I watched on I Follow tonight and actually thought we played quite well. The 5-4-1 formation worked a treat 2nd half and Tranmere really didn't have an answer to it, a couple of scares , but on the whole , a good professional performance and looked pretty comfortable. Didn't see that result coming , so a good £10 spent. Sam will get the plaudits and rightly so, yet Goode and Turnbull were also excellent tonight. Football is great again.

Well done SS and thks for your report.

Report Spam   Logged

Another Pedj

View Profile
Search Apple User Windows User
« Reply #142 on: February 06, 2019, 05:46:36 am »

I watched on I Follow tonight and actually thought we played quite well. The 5-4-1 formation worked a treat 2nd half and Tranmere really didn't have an answer to it, a couple of scares , but on the whole , a good professional performance and looked pretty comfortable. Didn't see that result coming , so a good £10 spent. Sam will get the plaudits and rightly so, yet Goode and Turnbull were also excellent tonight. Football is great again.

I too was on I Follow. I thought we were quite poor first half,surrendering possession far too easily. Second half however we too me appeared to be in control.inthe end a good battling performance.

To m eyes the system was 3 4 2 1

Report Spam   Logged
Dan

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #143 on: February 06, 2019, 05:51:05 am »

I'm glad that I didn't resist paying for I Follow after having serious doubts over the line up. It was a good team performance and a very welcome 3 points at a place which we've not won at for over 30 years. Certainly 3 more points than I expected us to come away with this week.  Smiley
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 06:11:22 am by Dan » Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2013
St Edmundsbury Cobbler

View Profile
Level 6 Search Windows User
« Reply #144 on: February 06, 2019, 05:57:21 am »

Two much needed things tonight, two goals for Hoskins and three points for Cobblers. A great result at a place we rarely get anything and puts us in great spirits going into Saturday's game at Sincil Bank
Report Spam   Logged

2022/23 Prediction League Champion
2022/23 Guess The Attendance Champion

Claret & White - Nothing Else Matters
andy scouse

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 06, 2019, 06:12:46 am »

Travelled over from my Liverpool home to see only my second Cobblers game of the season and was impressed by a gutsy performance.

Stand out players for me were Hoskins, Turnbull, Mc Williams,and Goode and JJ made a big difference when he came on the second half. Timing of the two goals was crucial in us winning the game and considering we played the whole game without any height up front we managed to absorb a lot of pressure and still managed to look dangerous on the break.

On the minus front we looked weak at wing back where Facey and Buchanan looked vulnerable on a one to one defensive situation. Taylor was caught out a few times dithering on the ball and again on a one on one situation looks poor.

My take from afar based on what I saw last night and what I have gleaned from listening to live commentary from Radio Noddy is that depite his constant tinkering with his starting line up Curle has steadied the ship and is worth persevering with.He has been left with a legacy of poor recruitment over the years since Wilder left and he deserves persevering with.Saw Lincoln play at Everton in the FA cup, Akinde is an obvous threat and Goode looks like the man to deal with his threat, apart ffom Akinde they are a threat from set pieces so we will need to cut out giving away needless free kicks and in this spect Facey worries me I would prefer McWilliams played at right wing back in his place.

Report Spam   Logged
Cobblersmad

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Level 5
« Reply #146 on: February 06, 2019, 06:37:16 am »

Wow. Play Hoskins in his natural position where he's trained all his career, and he ends up scoring twice. My conclusion therefore is you play players in their natural positions?

Football management is simple really isn't it?
Report Spam   Logged
threeinabed

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #147 on: February 06, 2019, 06:45:52 am »

Wow. Play Hoskins in his natural position where he's trained all his career, and he ends up scoring twice. My conclusion therefore is you play players in their natural positions?

Football management is simple really isn't it?

just got the other 9 outfield positions to sort out then now
Report Spam   Logged
threeinabed

View Profile
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #148 on: February 06, 2019, 06:46:31 am »

I shouldn’t think KC is very happy - he was trying to get the sack there .....

probably right...........he has probably worked out he is the fall guy for KT to take the heat off him!!
Report Spam   Logged
just.reading

View Profile
Search 1000 Posts Windows User
« Reply #149 on: February 06, 2019, 06:51:52 am »

Both commentators said it was a great goal particularly Smith who commented his goal was well crafted and taken. You say it was a fluke the commentators thought otherwise.  Opinions....Opinions  - so difficult who to believe Lips Sealed

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/teams/northampton-town/11629226/tranmere-1-2-northampton

Judge it for yourself. But you're mad if you think he meant that...
Report Spam   Logged
FezNTFC

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #150 on: February 06, 2019, 07:11:38 am »

Undoubtedly a fantastic result last night for which, quite rightly, the team and manager are getting some credit.

However, I don't want this to be yet another flash in the pan. I just really want them to follow it up with another good performance (if not result) at Lincoln, because one win or good performance every now and then still doesn't cut the mustard. We've only really put together any decent form during new manager bounces in recent history, and that really needs to change this time. For that reason I'm still not comfortable that we're out of a relegation battle, but there's certainly a lot more breathing space.

It was also good to see Sammy finally given a go in a central role. For me he's been utterly wasted out on the wing for getting on for two years.

His two most decent spells have come in central roles for us, as a striker under Wilder, and as an attacking midfielder behind the strikers under Rob Page. He's been shunted out on the wing for too long just because he's one of the few players we have with pace, even though he quite clearly doesn't have the attributes for the role. From now on he should be considered for those two roles only.
Report Spam   Logged
1971cobbler

View Profile
Level 5 Search Fifth year Anniversary
« Reply #151 on: February 06, 2019, 07:20:56 am »

Danny Cowley seen in the crowd scouting his next opponents....
[/quote]

Waste of a journey. Saturday's side will obviously be completely different!  Grin
Report Spam   Logged
606 Parklands_Cobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Mobile User
« Reply #152 on: February 06, 2019, 07:38:15 am »

It can be lucky to go in, but still mean it. Thats my view on it.
Report Spam   Logged
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #153 on: February 06, 2019, 07:48:53 am »

It can be lucky to go in, but still mean it. Thats my view on it.

Exactly this - he clearly intended to do it so it wasn’t a fluke, I don’t dispute that if he tried it 50 times he probably wouldn’t score many so in that respect there was a big element of luck to it but he deserves that luck for all the work he puts in. It’s a bit like with Cornell, people who are anti-Hoskins will continue to pick fault with anything he does. I’m just pleased for him and it is a bit of a two fingers to those who laughed at his air shot the other week.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 06, 2019, 08:01:01 am »

I shouldn’t think KC is very happy - he was trying to get the sack there .....

You keep going on about KC team selection but apart from selecting Hoskins up front it seemed a reasonable side. It all worked on the night! Please consider clarifying yr concerns?

« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 08:12:32 am by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

just.reading

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 06, 2019, 08:02:20 am »

Exactly this - he clearly intended to do it so it wasn’t a fluke, I don’t dispute that if he tried it 50 times he probably wouldn’t score many so in that respect there was a big element of luck to it but he deserves that luck for all the work he puts in. It’s a bit like with Cornell, people who are anti-Hoskins will continue to pick fault with anything he does. I’m just pleased for him and it is a bit of a two fingers to those who laughed at his air shot the other week.

I'm not picking fault with Hoskins, but there's no way he's going for goal from there with his back to goal! Unless his first goal has given him such immense confidence that he thinks he's Van Basten. More likely he's flicking it on to whoever was in the box.
Report Spam   Logged
meccanostand

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 06, 2019, 08:02:34 am »

Undoubtedly a fantastic result last night for which, quite rightly, the team and manager are getting some credit.

However, I don't want this to be yet another flash in the pan. I just really want them to follow it up with another good performance (if not result) at Lincoln, because one win or good performance every now and then still doesn't cut the mustard. We've only really put together any decent form during new manager bounces in recent history, and that really needs to change this time. For that reason I'm still not comfortable that we're out of a relegation battle, but there's certainly a lot more breathing space.

It was also good to see Sammy finally given a go in a central role. For me he's been utterly wasted out on the wing for getting on for two years.

His two most decent spells have come in central roles for us, as a striker under Wilder, and as an attacking midfielder behind the strikers under Rob Page. He's been shunted out on the wing for too long just because he's one of the few players we have with pace, even though he quite clearly doesn't have the attributes for the role. From now on he should be considered for those two roles only.

Yep agreed, although despite the goal last night, there are question-marks over his natural finishing ability. We don't have the most patient of crowds if he goes through a dry spell up top.

That said, he was sh*t hot right before his knee injury.
Report Spam   Logged
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #157 on: February 06, 2019, 08:14:03 am »

I'm not picking fault with Hoskins, but there's no way he's going for goal from there with his back to goal! Unless his first goal has given him such immense confidence that he thinks he's Van Basten. More likely he's flicking it on to whoever was in the box.

We’ll have to agree to disagree - there wasn’t anyone else in the box and he’s playing as a lone forward so I don’t know who he was supposed to be flicking it to. It was a speculative effort but I’m sure he  intended it as an effort on goal.
Report Spam   Logged
crazycobbler

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #158 on: February 06, 2019, 08:24:47 am »

My take from afar based on what I saw last night and what I have gleaned from listening to live commentary from Radio Noddy is that depite his constant tinkering with his starting line up Curle has steadied the ship and is worth persevering with.He has been left with a legacy of poor recruitment over the years since Wilder left and he deserves persevering with.Saw Lincoln play at Everton in the FA cup, Akinde is an obvous threat and Goode looks like the man to deal with his threat, apart ffom Akinde they are a threat from set pieces so we will need to cut out giving away needless free kicks and in this spect Facey worries me I would prefer McWilliams played at right wing back in his place.

I agree he is most definitely worth persevering with. Yes, the form has been patchy of late but to come in and get 30 points from 21 games (which is top ten form)is a decent turnaround when you consider our position when he took over. He’s managed to do this with what I still firmly believe is a very average squad, the majority of which was not put together by him. If we can finish around mid table he’ll deserve lots of credit in my opinion.
Report Spam   Logged
just.reading

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 06, 2019, 08:26:38 am »

We’ll have to agree to disagree - there wasn’t anyone else in the box and he’s playing as a lone forward so I don’t know who he was supposed to be flicking it to. It was a speculative effort but I’m sure he  intended it as an effort on goal.

Happy to agree to disagree, but will point out there is another player in the box (Powell) who I reckon he's aiming for. If Hoskins meant it and it boosts his confidence then that's only a good thing.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: