The Hotel End
April 20, 2024, 09:26:23 am
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Lincoln away

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lincoln away  (Read 7986 times)
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #80 on: February 09, 2019, 20:57:08 pm »

Slight air of disappointment after failing to win against 10 men, but the Imps are a team on fire this season so pretty happy with the point.
Well done boys, another step nearer safety and mid table respectability.

Just about right Pihuan (where did you get that non de plume from?).
Too many 'overdoing' the disappointed tag!  To me it was game between two midfields with our defence really played well and stood up to the bully boy tactics of Akinde. The game was punctuated by fouls and hoofs and not too much quality shown by both sides. Bridges,McWilliams , JJOT and Turnbull all battled well particularly in the second half - thought at times Turnbull looked class. The defence was very combative with Taylor winning most things in the air, Pierre also outstanding and Goode looked class as well. Cornell did not have a lot to do just a couple of routine saves. Buchanan stood upto some robust challenges and let nobody down. Our problem was that Hoskins was the only forward but under the cirumstances he did ok. He did put the their centre halves under pressure but generally he was well countered by a strong Lincoln defence. I suppose when we got on top second half we should have done better but too many passes were too hopeful and often went astray. To me we were crying out for a winger and a partner for Hoskins. Powell did come on and looked threatening but that about all. Morais came on and looked completely out of it; talk about 'flatters to deceive'. I was disappointed that we put ourselves under pressure in the last ten minutes with Lincoln appealing for 3 penalties one of which was ball to hand on JJOT; some of these are given but the referee was correct in waving that one away. They didnt deserve it any case. Big point earnt the 'Cobblers way' - determined and brave team effort. Not disappointed overall at all.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Patmore

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 09, 2019, 21:34:44 pm »

Never understood why fans of other clubs do this. If you don't want to read Cobblers fans opinions don't come onto this forum

He’s a (rudimentary and obvious) troll mate.

He’s looking for a bite. He got about six.
Report Spam   Logged
Patmore

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 09, 2019, 21:36:24 pm »

Didn’t go today, but checking the stats at half time one of note was all too familiar.

Lincoln with 1 shot, 1 on target, 1 goal.

I’m assuming Dai had another good game though....
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #83 on: February 10, 2019, 05:07:08 am »

Didn’t go today, but checking the stats at half time one of note was all too familiar.

Lincoln with 1 shot, 1 on target, 1 goal.

I’m assuming Dai had another good game though....

He’s a (rudimentary and obvious) troll mate.

He’s looking for a bite. He got about six.

Grin Kiss
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
guest3114

« Reply #84 on: February 10, 2019, 06:23:58 am »

Never understood why fans of other clubs do this. If you don't want to read Cobblers fans opinions don't come onto this forum
I like him, I think he’s got spunk.
Report Spam   Logged
BMON

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 10, 2019, 06:40:14 am »

loads of positives today.

The team looks pretty well organized and balanced, their goal you could do nothing about as it
For the goal Cornell should probably have come out quicker but he will gain valuable experience from playing in these games.

Pierre looked really sharp again for his goal,showed strength to keep the challenge from the other centre back was a big positive,
Taylor was poor and has got to stop shouting all the time at other players, he does get teams relegated i wonder why

We needed that second goal sitting back against 10 men tells you all you need to know about Curles brief for this season,
keep us up or get sacked

I thought Goode looked more solid at centre back today and his positioning has definitely better

Looking forward to the away games more now,
Report Spam   Logged
BMON

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 10, 2019, 06:47:31 am »

Yawn ..signing off as cannot talk to fools like this ..shock horror crowd appeals for 3 last minute penalties :-) Only the handball looked worth one to me...happy with that missing several starters..particular Bostwick and captain taken out with a rugby tackle early doors(also not given)

Safely say you are not the worst team at SB this season as Morecambe were shocking ...but your 2 fat lumps at the back were your most creative players and we voted you second worst...thankfully we will not have to play you again for a decade ..tata

I fear you are having that lucky season that you get ever 10 years or so,(like us)
get real your a bottom 2 divs even non-league club,
If you get promoted( the mangers will leave for a club with more ambition) then good luck we'll see very very soon
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #87 on: February 10, 2019, 07:29:20 am »

loads of positives today.

The team looks pretty well organized and balanced, their goal you could do nothing about as it
For the goal Cornell should probably have come out quicker but he will gain valuable experience from playing in these games.

Pierre looked really sharp again for his goal,showed strength to keep the challenge from the other centre back was a big positive,
Taylor was poor and has got to stop shouting all the time at other players, he does get teams relegated i wonder why

We needed that second goal sitting back against 10 men tells you all you need to know about Curles brief for this season,
keep us up or get sacked

I thought Goode looked more solid at centre back today and his positioning has definitely better

Looking forward to the away games more now,

What !!!!?
How can you possibly blame Cornell for the goal ??
It was appalling defending . Pierre didn’t challenge Akinde for the knock on and Goode was far too slow to get to the scorer . It was the sort of central defending I would expect to see in a girls Sunday league game.
Other than that we defended well although gave far too many free kicks away and were fortunate with at least two penalty appeals if not more .
We just had nothing going forward at all and looked a bit off the pace in midfield at times .
Curle won’t get away with playing Hoskins up front on his own at home .
Why on Earth he brought Powell on instead of Williams or Morias I have no clue .
As for posters that criticise Cornell that didn’t go to the game and just look at statistics - the word prat comes to mind
Report Spam   Logged
Clarity

View Profile
1000 Posts Fifth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #88 on: February 10, 2019, 07:55:21 am »

How is that f***wit siren allowed??
Report Spam   Logged
Patmore

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 10, 2019, 08:55:13 am »

What !!!!?
It was appalling defending . Pierre didn’t challenge Akinde for the knock on and Goode was far too slow to get to the scorer . It was the sort of central defending I would expect to see in a girls Sunday league game.
Other than that we defended well although gave far too many free kicks away and were fortunate with at least two penalty appeals if not more .
We just had nothing going forward at all and looked a bit off the pace in midfield at times .
Why on Earth he brought Powell on instead of Williams or Morias I have no clue .
As for posters that criticise Cornell that didn’t go to the game and just look at statistics - the word prat comes to mind

It went right in the middle of the goal again. And Dai is still stood at his near post. I have a great image but cannot upload it here. Create your own by pausing the footage as the ball crosses the line to see exactly what I have just described.

Calling me names just does not change the facts. The first goal in a game is so important and we keep giving it away cheaply to the first hit on target.
As for him gaining valuable experience.... he’s 28 years old.
Report Spam   Logged
BMON

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 10, 2019, 09:23:21 am »

What !!!!?

Wow calm down,
your gonna have a heart attack, everyone is allowed an opinion,if you don't agree don't get hysterical
and start throwing insults about, it make you sound like a child(unless you are)
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #91 on: February 10, 2019, 09:41:23 am »

It went right in the middle of the goal again. And Dai is still stood at his near post. I have a great image but cannot upload it here. Create your own by pausing the footage as the ball crosses the line to see exactly what I have just described.

Calling me names just does not change the facts. The first goal in a game is so important and we keep giving it away cheaply to the first hit on target.

You do know that we were playing in Yellow yesterday?
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
guest2995

« Reply #92 on: February 10, 2019, 10:08:22 am »

Wtf are you talking about ?
You make a comment on the keeper by just looking at statistics first of all and then try and justify it with a made up story .
Cornell is not at fault for the goal - the central defenders most certainly are in this case
Report Spam   Logged
defender

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 10, 2019, 10:16:37 am »

Tis has got to be a good result for us. they are top. WELL DONE EVERYONE.
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #94 on: February 10, 2019, 10:24:24 am »

If you'd have said before the game would a draw be a good result then yes, undoubtedly most people said it would have been.

However, the way the game panned out....they were missing one of their best players, their captain went off injured after 20 odd minutes and they had a man sent off after 40....you've got to take advantage of that.

For far too long we sat back and invited pressure...they took the initiative because we didn't want to. Cowley said we settled for a draw with 15 to go..I think it was a lot earlier than that.
Should have made a sub at half time...given Hoskins some support, but he waited until 10 minutes to go before putting Junior on...who didn't have a touch.

We were holding on at the end and could have easily conceded a penalty which is given 8 out of 10 times.

For me....Curles style of play is too conservative, plus the fact we don't have a playmaker, someone who can start pulling the strings in midfield and take the game to the opposition.
JJOT did well yesterday but he's not going to run the game any more....

I've got to say, Lincoln were top of the league but looked nothing special. In the home game they beat us 1-0, in the cup game they needed a last minute winner, and yesterday got a home draw with us. They were there for the taking....but we didn't seem to want to take that chance.....and as a result it all seemed a little boring.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/07, 2007/08, 2011/12, 2012/13, 2018/19 and 2023/24
guest3114

« Reply #95 on: February 10, 2019, 10:44:11 am »

If you'd have said before the game would a draw be a good result then yes, undoubtedly most people said it would have been.

However, the way the game panned out....they were missing one of their best players, their captain went off injured after 20 odd minutes and they had a man sent off after 40....you've got to take advantage of that.

For far too long we sat back and invited pressure...they took the initiative because we didn't want to. Cowley said we settled for a draw with 15 to go..I think it was a lot earlier than that.
Should have made a sub at half time...given Hoskins some support, but he waited until 10 minutes to go before putting Junior on...who didn't have a touch.

We were holding on at the end and could have easily conceded a penalty which is given 8 out of 10 times.

For me....Curles style of play is too conservative, plus the fact we don't have a playmaker, someone who can start pulling the strings in midfield and take the game to the opposition.
JJOT did well yesterday but he's not going to run the game any more....

I've got to say, Lincoln were top of the league but looked nothing special. In the home game they beat us 1-0, in the cup game they needed a last minute winner, and yesterday got a home draw with us. They were there for the taking....but we didn't seem to want to take that chance.....and as a result it all seemed a little boring.
As someone who goes regularly GPC would you say that in regards to being too conservative, is Curle cutting his cloth according to the quality of the squad? Additionally, do you feel last weeks result was a factor, or is he just generally over cautious by nature and this will be the case irrespective of who we sign? I would say probably the former but what’s your take?
Report Spam   Logged
GrangeParkCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Level 6
« Reply #96 on: February 10, 2019, 10:52:19 am »

As someone who goes regularly GPC would you say that in regards to being too conservative, is Curle cutting his cloth according to the quality of the squad? Additionally, do you feel last weeks result was a factor, or is he just generally over cautious by nature and this will be the case irrespective of who we sign? I would say probably the former but what’s your take?

Possibly the former......but he had the window to address some of the issues.....playing his preferred formation without the personnel didnt make sense, neither did not bringing in players to play "his way".  Now he's changed things a little (the last two games being evidence, and we have won one and drawn one.

Yes I think he is cautious, he is a safe pair of hands and yes he is more worried about nullifying the opposition rather than imposing our style of play on them. He was/is very slow to react to things......as I say we could have come out at half time yesterday with another forward on and actually gone for it......got the goal and then sat back when ahead. To me it seemed like he settled for a point too early...and it nearly cost us.

His record speaks for itself....steady Eddie......nothing more, nothing less.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotel End GTA Champion 2006/07, 2007/08, 2011/12, 2012/13, 2018/19 and 2023/24
FezNTFC

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #97 on: February 10, 2019, 11:02:36 am »

Would I have taken a point before the game? Absolutely.

I have to agree with many other posters though that I'm disappointed we didn't go for it more. Lincoln didn't look any threat at all until we sat back and gave them the initiative. I felt like the subs played a big part in that. McWilliams and in particular Bridge, were looking quite creative. When we took them off we had nothing, and I think that led to the final 15 minutes where we were clinging on a bit. I didn't think they were the best calls from Keith.

We also got away with the handball at the end, which would have made sitting back a really daft decision. Perhaps though, just perhaps, if the Lincoln crowd, players and staff didn't appeal for literally every decision then the referee might take a bit more notice when something like that happens.

I can't fault the players yesterday, they worked very hard. At the end of the season it will probably still be a good point, even if it could have been more with a bit of bravery from the manager.
Report Spam   Logged
Dan

View Profile
Level 6 Search Apple User
« Reply #98 on: February 10, 2019, 11:05:12 am »

Agreed with GPC. Although a point was a good result, we showed zero bravery in the second half which was frustrating to say the least. Lincoln were absolutely there for the taking and we didn't bother going for it. Fortunately, we've had an excellent week and 4 points from these two away games is exactly 4 more than I had expected.
Report Spam   Logged

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2013
Baldy

View Profile
Search 5000 Posts Combination
« Reply #99 on: February 10, 2019, 11:22:06 am »

Once again a sound post from defender.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: