The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 23:04:51 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Smashing the Stevenage 23rd Feb A

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Smashing the Stevenage 23rd Feb A  (Read 6310 times)
Freddie Ramscar

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Level 5 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #60 on: February 23, 2019, 20:45:01 pm »

I’ve never been so pleased for a quote to come back and bite me on the ar** (I still maintain that he was poor in the Crawley game but he wasn’t alone)!

Good response pal, fair dues.     Wink
Report Spam   Logged
WasRambo

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2019, 20:45:29 pm »

Very welcome 3 points

I'd call it an edge closer to safety than towards the playoffs tho Wink
Report Spam   Logged
Shoemaker

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2019, 20:53:36 pm »

A really good three points
I think three more wins and we live to fight another season.
Well done to those who travelled,a good away following.
Report Spam   Logged
ajp

View Profile
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2019, 21:23:05 pm »

Two more wins for me and we are safe
Report Spam   Logged
guest2995

« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2019, 22:06:36 pm »

Andy Williams is without doubt the most natural finisher at the club .
He really should be starting every week in this team .
I would say we are now safe and it would be nice if Curle starts to show how he is going to build for next year from now on .
Let’s see some bravery at home and get the fans behind the team
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #65 on: February 23, 2019, 22:29:02 pm »

I don’t know how joe Powell has managed to keep his place today.

Dont worry Irchy it happens to us all. Actually I thought Powell played 'ok' last Saturday and even better today and his well taken goal was well received.

As for the game itself victory was earned by the defence with Tayor and Pierre having some good moments as did Goode and Buchanan. Cornell was well protected so had an almost immaculate game! Even so Cornell made two good saves and his kicking was more or less acceptable. The midfield played well bit too defensively for my liking which ultimately led to their eqaliser. JJOT played ok but he was booked early in the game which might have affected his performance. Turnbull also played well and I thought Bridge at times was outstanding and was my MOM. Up front Hoskins played well 1st half but the substitutions didnt suit him as he ended up on the wing. Caused their defence problems at times. Sordell showed some nice touches but at times seemed to be knocked off the ball a bit to easily.Overall a decent team performance against a frankly disappointing oppo who overhit passes all day long. Their goalie made a good save from a Williams header late in the game. Willliams when he came on with about 20 mins to go added some impetus to a flagging attack. Slowly the Cobblers turned 100% defensive duties to a midfield establishing some control in midfield which enable the  front two to be more of a nuisance. Hoofball was evident through out the game with Stevenage excelling at it with little reward. Then it was our turn two minutes into the 6 minute added time a hoof, at least a good one enabled Williams to run clear of their two lumbering defenders just about held his nerve with two defenders harrassing him big time to roll the ball into the far corner of the goal. Cue pandemonium and a good response to those who thru' their toys some distance after last Saturdays poor result. What I liked was that we are now only 12pts behind Exeter in the final play off spot! Creeping closely to play offs and further away from non league.  Good day at the office as some say!

E&O excepted.
Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2019, 05:53:13 am »

We could do with extending bridge’s contract ASAP as the last thing we need is to lose him this summer.
Report Spam   Logged
BMON

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2019, 09:21:13 am »

I was angry at Curle for his team selection , tactics and refusal to change things during the game .
I am now questioning if he is Boothroyd in disguise after his post match interview in which he said the result had nothing to do with the formation and that we kept our shape !!
What do you take us supporters for Curle ?? Don't insult our intelligence .
No one knew who to pick up , there were massive gaps and it was actually hard to work out who was playing where on the pitch .
I was pitch side and could see and hear the players who were clearly not happy .
To not change it to 442 after 20 minutes is one thing , but to keep it the same after 45 is pure incompetence .
Also , to leave Powell on his own in central midfield in his first full game for God knows how long was hanging the guy out to dry .
What were you trying to prove Curle ?
Hope KT gave you the b******ng of your life after the game because you let the whole town and team down .
Report Spam   Logged
Horsham Cobbler

"I'm not a gynaecologist, but I'll take a look"

View Profile
500 Posts Eighth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #68 on: February 24, 2019, 09:41:14 am »

Good atmosphere, great result, just a shame the ball could not have been on the ground more (both sides equally guilty) and the Cobbs especially need to think far more about retaining possession when booting it out from the back.

On a different note I have no problem with bear baiting the oppo's keeper and some of the stuff directed at the Stevenage keeper Farman in the 2nd half was quite witty. But loudly chanting that he's a c**t in front of young families was, frankly, puerile and classless. We can do better than that.
Report Spam   Logged
West Stand

View Profile
500 Posts Search Combination
« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2019, 10:10:46 am »

I was angry at Curle for his team selection , tactics and refusal to change things during the game .
I am now questioning if he is Boothroyd in disguise after his post match interview in which he said the result had nothing to do with the formation and that we kept our shape !!
No one knew who to pick up , there were massive gaps and it was actually hard to work out who was playing where on the pitch .
I was pitch side and could see and hear the players who were clearly not happy .
To not change it to 442 after 20 minutes is one thing , but to keep it the same after 45 is pure incompetence .
Also , to leave Powell on his own in central midfield in his first full game for God knows how long was hanging the guy out to dry .
Hope KT gave you the b******ng of your life after the game because you let the whole town and team down .

What was the formation? According the radio it was 4 4 2, well they said that at the start.
Report Spam   Logged
defender

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2019, 10:48:46 am »

A VERY GOOD PERFORMANCE FROM US  TODAY, WELL  DONE EVERYNE
Report Spam   Logged
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2019, 11:11:05 am »

What has emerged since the 0-4 two weeks ago is a newly found resistance throughout the team and more focus to win individual battles. We now look solid, albeit not spectacular. For me, thats all we can hope for and expect until KC has a proper stab at recruitment in the summer.

Lots of 6/10's yesterday, no one stood out and as such difficult to say who man of the match really was. Id go with Powell, who 2 minutes prior to scoring I commented that I didn't know what he brought to the party. Well 2 minutes later, and whilst going for a quick pit stop, I found out. Annoyingly, thats the first goal I've managed to miss in 30 odd years supporting the Cobblers due to being in the toilet/getting food!  Grin

The defence was solid across the whole back4, the midfield likewise. Sordell didn't look fit to me though, Id like to see him utilised as a sub for the time being and Williams brought in to partner Sam. Morais also needs to be utilised far more.

Great celebrations at the end, my son finally getting to see us win away for only the 2nd time in 18 day outs!

Moving on, Id like to see us get to 50 points asap and then see what the kids are all about. Once we hit 50, pre-season starts and we've a real opportunity to make sure were ready for a good go at things come August.
Report Spam   Logged
ItsaSetPieceDivision

View Profile
Windows User
« Reply #72 on: February 24, 2019, 11:20:11 am »

you are aware that we won?
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 24, 2019, 11:41:14 am »

I am beginning to study some of your comments and the one above suggests an almost deranged opinion on the match. Are you really a Cobblers Fan ? Your last comment was absurd in the extreme; that opinion alone suggests you are at odds with most there. I thought the formation was clearly 4-4-2 from beginning to end! What were you doing pitch side??
« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 11:51:10 am by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

Joes Sweet Left Foot

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #74 on: February 24, 2019, 12:08:45 pm »

What were you doing pitch side??

Maybe he was an unused sub.
Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2019, 12:15:38 pm »

Good atmosphere, great result, just a shame the ball could not have been on the ground more (both sides equally guilty) and the Cobbs especially need to think far more about retaining possession when booting it out from the back.

On a different note I have no problem with bear baiting the oppo's keeper and some of the stuff directed at the Stevenage keeper Farman in the 2nd half was quite witty. But loudly chanting that he's a c**t in front of young families was, frankly, puerile and classless. We can do better than that.

Where I was sitting very close to the chanters, three young lads down near the front joined in. I remonstateded with the mother but got nowhere.
Report Spam   Logged

everbrite

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2019, 12:27:55 pm »

Maybe he was an unused sub.

Good one - which one tho?
Report Spam   Logged

bungle

View Profile
Search Mobile User Combination
« Reply #77 on: February 24, 2019, 17:36:06 pm »

Interesting comments from the Stevenage manager:

“Northampton, look at their players, look at their squad. No disrespect to my players, but if I have their squad I get promotion there'.

Report Spam   Logged
Buster

View Profile
Level 5 Sixth year Anniversary Search
« Reply #78 on: February 24, 2019, 18:24:32 pm »

Interesting comments from the Stevenage manager:

“Northampton, look at their players, look at their squad. No disrespect to my players, but if I have their squad I get promotion there'.

Dissing Curle or touting for his next job?
Report Spam   Logged
Parklands Cobbler

View Profile
Level 5 Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #79 on: February 25, 2019, 06:49:04 am »

As far as i could tell we was 442 for the majority of the game.
Williams has got to keep his place at Crewe.Not just his goal but he also had a header pushed around the post and he is clearly our best target man for our long ball game.
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: