The Hotel End
March 28, 2024, 22:33:25 pm
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home Help Search Arcade Downloads Gallery Links Staff List Calendar Login Register Chat  

Newport County (h) 12th March

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newport County (h) 12th March  (Read 6757 times)
threeinabed

View Profile
Badges: (View All)
Linux User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #60 on: March 13, 2019, 07:54:28 am »

Williams was poor (admittedly tough role, alone tonight)

When I saw Bridge on the touchline I called it would be for Willow, so Bridge could go left and Powell up top.

Wasn't that bizarre a sub, and didn't warrant the crowd reaction.

other than powell was playing like a competition winner
Report Spam   Logged
threeinabed

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 13, 2019, 07:57:12 am »

strange how easy it can be to win games of football without any players with any actual footballing ability

just put out the big lads and keep the ball in the air

see you at wembley
Report Spam   Logged
Joes Sweet Left Foot

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #62 on: March 13, 2019, 09:56:30 am »

I don't know what sport I was watching last night, but it had little resemblance to football. It's bad enough watching Cobblers play hoof-ball but when the opposition were at it as well it made for an unedifying spectacle. When they weren't engaged in head tennis it seemed to me they were having a competition among themselves to see who could kick the ball highest into the air. This was not so much as like watching schoolboy football as watching Sunday morning kick around with your pub mates. I'm not sure how someone like Joe Powell is going to learn much coming here, this must be like being on a different planet having been brought up to play football the West Ham way. It like someone spending years learning to play the violin and then being seconded to another orchestra and being told to play percussion.

As for the game itself there was little of note to mention. Daniel Powell certainly should have done better when put through by JJOT, and Andy Williams fashioned a couple of decent efforts from abysmal service. And then when sitting back into a 4-5-1 formation, KC takes off the 1 and replaces him with another midfielder. At least the second substitution that eventually broke the deadlock was like for like with Joe Powell a more natural No 10 than JJOT whose legs seemed to have deserted him. So one piece of sublime skill settled a drab match that Cobblers hardly deserved to win.

Lets hope that now the relegation threat is over we could resort to playing the sort of football that people might be inclined to pay to watch.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 12:55:53 pm by Joes Sweet Left Foot » Report Spam   Logged
clarkeysntfc

View Profile
Apple User Mobile User Windows User
« Reply #63 on: March 13, 2019, 10:07:54 am »

Pretty drab game and very much "league 2" in the nature of the play which was attritional at times to say the least.

First half I thought was pretty watchable, both sides having chances with Newport arguably on top for the first 30 mins or so. Cobblers denied an absolutely blatant penalty for handball, and D Powell definitely should have scored with his chance.

Second half was turgid, with two pretty evenly matched teams not playing much football.

A goal was always going to come from an error or moment of inspiration, and J Powell's winner was absolutely top class.
Report Spam   Logged
Irchy cob

View Profile
Eighth year Anniversary Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #64 on: March 13, 2019, 10:20:12 am »

Christ, anyone would have thought we lost. I’m not making excuses, and it wasn’t a classic by any means, but all those moaning about the spectacle you do realise that the pitch was incredibly lively due to it being saturated (Curle alluded to the ground staff working wonders to get the game on) and the fact that there was a very strong wind. Don’t get me wrong, neither side particularly helped matters by not keeping it on the deck enough and we had a lack of creativity until the substitutions but we did end up winning the game and also should have had a penalty and missed a one on one. I’d rather watch us win like that than the supposedly more attractive Dean Austin style that went nowhere and led to us getting beat regularly.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3114

« Reply #65 on: March 13, 2019, 10:31:52 am »

I think when we were sinking into the abyss if you would have offered no defeats in 7, 4 wins on the bounce and within 6 points of the playoffs any supporter of this club would have took your arm off. Bored or not. Given the way the squad was going it’s an outstanding effort. I’m not having a go but to ask for top quality entertainment as well in this short time is pushing a bit?
Report Spam   Logged
Joes Sweet Left Foot

View Profile
Search Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #66 on: March 13, 2019, 11:00:07 am »

I’m not having a go but to ask for top quality entertainment as well in this short time is pushing a bit?

Look I've been watching Cobblers for over 50 years, for most of the time in this league. Only Carr's side of 86 could be described as top quality entertainment, and Wilder's team of 2015 comes a close second. Last night there was not even the pretence of trying to play football the way it should be played.
Report Spam   Logged
threeinabed

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 13, 2019, 11:05:05 am »

Christ, anyone would have thought we lost. I’m not making excuses, and it wasn’t a classic by any means, but all those moaning about the spectacle you do realise that the pitch was incredibly lively due to it being saturated (Curle alluded to the ground staff working wonders to get the game on) and the fact that there was a very strong wind. Don’t get me wrong, neither side particularly helped matters by not keeping it on the deck enough and we had a lack of creativity until the substitutions but we did end up winning the game and also should have had a penalty and missed a one on one. I’d rather watch us win like that than the supposedly more attractive Dean Austin style that went nowhere and led to us getting beat regularly.

he also said the pitch played very well - never an excuse when the ball isn't on it for most of the game.

there is no hiding away from the fact that it was a poor game of football.

doesn't mean people aren't happy that we won.
Report Spam   Logged
Irchy cob

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 13, 2019, 11:19:46 am »

Again I agree that it wasn’t a great game, particularly the second half, but as they said on the radio winning without playing well is a good habit to get into.
Report Spam   Logged
guest3114

« Reply #69 on: March 13, 2019, 11:26:46 am »

Look I've been watching Cobblers for over 50 years, for most of the time in this league. Only Carr's side of 86 could be described as top quality entertainment, and Wilder's team of 2015 comes a close second. Last night there was not even the pretence of trying to play football the way it should be played.
Is agree with all of that lefty, but don’t you think Curlios priority was stopping the rot and making us hard to beat? I accept there is no point in continually parting with your hard earned cash to be bored sh1tless, but at this point in time given we’ve had one January transfer window don’t you think the bloke deserves some credit?
Report Spam   Logged
EssTeeFree

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 13, 2019, 11:34:41 am »

It's not hard to see what Curle has been doing since the Colchester game, even more so in the last few weeks. Back four wit h2 solid, defensive full backs, arguably our most robust midfield 3, the only bit of pace we can possibly field out wide and a strong, hard working lone front man. It is working results wise, I wouldn't expect him to deviate away from it too much this season. Let's see what he does in the summer.

Always easy to say but if it was me I'd take this base and tweak a little.
Same back 4
Any 2 of JJOT, Foley, Turnbull, McWilliams in midfield
3 behind the striker made up of any 2 of JPowell, Elsnik, Bridge plus 1 of DPowell or Hoskins
Williams or Sordell up front.
If Morais plays up front play JJOT in behind for some aerial presence.

Then look to upgrade a few key components in the summer, mainly in the attacking 4
Report Spam   Logged
threeinabed

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 13, 2019, 11:51:37 am »

i imagine that in the summer, despite our 2 good runs of form under him happening with a robust 4-4-2 (ish) he will bin most of the squad off, or they wont want to stay and he will build a squad to play 3-5-2 and we will just slightly under achieve for 2 years before he leaves the club.

same as all his other management jobs.
Report Spam   Logged
wazzacobbler

Warrington Cobblers Supporters

View Profile WWW
Combination Topic Starter Poll Voter
« Reply #72 on: March 13, 2019, 12:00:40 pm »

i imagine that in the summer, despite our 2 good runs of form under him happening with a robust 4-4-2 (ish) he will bin most of the squad off, or they wont want to stay and he will build a squad to play 3-5-2 and we will just slightly under achieve for 2 years before he leaves the club.

You're so happy!
Report Spam   Logged

Host and Producer of the It's All Cobblers To Me podcast
@CobblersToMe @charlescommins
Irchy cob

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 13, 2019, 12:03:20 pm »

Thanks for that chuckles, are you having a bad day?
Report Spam   Logged
threeinabed

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 13, 2019, 12:37:01 pm »

its called being realistic

Report Spam   Logged
everbrite

Steve Howard best since Cliff Holton

View Profile
20000 Posts Search Apple User
« Reply #75 on: March 13, 2019, 13:12:18 pm »

I don't know what sport I was watching last night, but it had little resemblance to football. It's bad enough watching Cobblers play hoof-ball but when the opposition were at it as well...

Lets hope that now the relegation threat is over we could resorting to playing the sort of football that people might be inclined to pay to watch.

50 years of watching the Cobblers and you complain of the standard of Football!  I can distinctly remember games under Atkins and Calderwood, when games of similar standard where not uncommon. Apart from Carrs free flowing team we have generally been a side; when we do well with a sound defence and combative midfield. I think you exhibit a dream like fascination with free flowing football which as a club we have rarely exhibited.Even in CW side it was only Holmes who provided the dash and game changing excitement which made some games so enjoyable. In my view CW's side weak link was an inconsistent defence. What we have now is a side with a strong defence and midfield with an outside chance of promotion back to L1!
Yesterdays game was boring and lacking quality; Newport exhibited even less. Yet we still provided one moment of pure class to win the game. Provided we win I have no real quarrel how the team play but in any case a winning side by default must play an acceptable standard of football otherwise..................... Roll Eyes .  In other words lighten up!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 13:14:40 pm by everbrite » Report Spam   Logged

2020 Grand National S/S 3rd Place
DrillingCobbler

View Profile
Search Windows User Combination
« Reply #76 on: March 13, 2019, 13:44:22 pm »

A couple of points.

During the early stages of Wilders tenure, some of the football was shocking. He then got himself/us Ricky Holmes, Nicky Adams etc and we were able to play, to an extent, free flowing football at times...but it took him well over a year for things to click.

Under Carr, we played hoof ball. Get the ball to Benji/Morley asap...the back 4 all pushing up to play the offside trap...then the quality of Hill, Eddie, Gilbert etc made the difference. The season we got relegated (under Carr) was about the worst football I've witnessed, hoof balls to Bobby Barnes ffs!

The point Im making is simple. The style of football can only be dictated by the types of players you have. With regards to senior players, we have one winger, Powell, who is very inconsistent. Our midfielders are all either powerhouses or light weight kids who cant do anywhere near 90 minutes yet. Previously we had Crookes...but he was massively in-consistent as well.

KC has had one window to work in, and getting the high in demand skilful players we need to top up what is now looking like a solid group, was virtually impossible, given the financial constraints he's currently working within.

He's taken us from 22nd to 11th, so from a results perspective Im struggling to moan at this point in time. At all. From an entertainment prospective, its such a rare thing to see free flowing stuff in the bottom league its again hard to be too critical. Perhaps next season if he can find 2 or 3 'dreamy players' who work hard as well (like Ricky, like Adams), then they can strutt their stuff on the back of more combative team mates (who we already have in place and I hope remain) earning the right for us to play. Time will tell on that.

As for the game last night, I found it quite fascinating for an hour (not thrilling), after which it became a bore-fest. I said with 10 minutes to go it was the type of game Ricky would have won for us 3 years ago...ironic given Powell comes on and scores a wonder right towards the end.

Wilder once said on the wireless, 'its not about the results you get in the 10 games when you play well, its about the results you get in the other games when you don't'. We seem to have once again become a team capable of grinding out results when we are not at our best. Long may that continue!

Report Spam   Logged
CobblerForever

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 13, 2019, 13:48:32 pm »

My guess is that Thomas will insist on getting the wage bill right down and Curle's hand will be forced anyway.
Report Spam   Logged
Deepcut Cobbler
Administrator

View Profile
Search Level 6 Windows User
« Reply #78 on: March 13, 2019, 14:52:49 pm »

It was a great game of football, we gained 3 points...
Report Spam   Logged

“They shall grow not old as we that are left grow old:
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them.” Laurence Binyon

The Hotelend Grand National Sweepstake Champion 2009
WasRambo

View Profile
Windows User Combination Topic Starter
« Reply #79 on: March 13, 2019, 15:31:49 pm »

A wins a win and we made ground on those above.

What's not to like?

If Curlio gets us anywhere near the playoffs after that start he deserves a medal, especially with this squad
Report Spam   Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: